The Three Volunteers

The Three Volunteers

A Story by Abderrahmane Dakir
"

The smart people are the people who focus on the future. They know that one day they will leave this short journey in this life. They know that if they leave money, after many years the money will r

"

On Sunday morning at ten to ten, room already full, the audience waited with baited breath. My teacher Nour brought, as usual his equipment in order to put on a data show.


He is a prolific teacher volunteer. He was in a hurry to fix anything, eager to get the show on the road enthusiastically.


He is a delightful man. He has a fair complexion. He looks approachable and lovable. When he speaks, everyone pays close attention. His voice is clear and soft. He speaks so sweetly. His eyes are big and they sparkle when he smiles.


He dresses in a white and expensive uniform, fit for a prince; the prince that he is. He works on an engine design for a very large multinational corporation as an engineer.


He has a wealth of knowledge of the scientific world. We already knew how good he was in the science. Anyway, we know that he is very studious and loves learning cutting edge things. He shows us everything he knows.

He is intelligent, and a creative gem, he has just written his first book and it is going to be a huge hit.

Before he started his lesson, he fixed the microphone by himself since he is brainy, and it was much easier to fix than any engine.


He devotes himself to giving all his knowledge to us. He loves his disciples more than his children. He idolizes them.


Even though he was exhausted, he stayed to patiently answer every one of their questions. He thinks they are the best students a teacher could have. He smiles with satisfaction, proud of his students, the kindred spirits of his own heart.


He always states while grinning from ear to ear, unable to hide his excitement. He smiles that smile which gives joy to any person’s heart.


When he gives something, he gives it with great joy. He is a mentor. He uses his brain and his heart to give us the best advice. That’s why we love attending his lessons.


I was astounded by the crowd around my volunteer teacher Nour. It was the first time I had attended his lesson. I was surprised by this awesome gathering that receives women, men, girls and boys. No matter, their resources, whether they are rich or poor. How amazing it is to see all these people of different ages and positions, all in one place.


“After Twenty years of working as a volunteer, sometimes, I stay up working until five o’clock in the morning. “Today, I have the honor to tell you that I have just finished my first book, which costs just four dollars since I won’t earn any royalties at all. I gave all rights for my publisher who accepted my assumption,” he said.

I didn’t understand the meaning of volunteer yet. In my opinion a volunteer’s duty is to give an hour a week for people, environment, nature….but giving twenty years of your working life is an incredible deed.


One day, Nour said he was going to teach us how to be a volunteer by telling us about two volunteers, Karim and Aziz.


“There are currently many philanthropists in our country. They are featured in Forbes Magazine. They are rich because they always take more than they give. When they give something, they give a just a fraction of what they have. Sometimes, they gave as advertising for their company in order to earn more in the future. Last year, one of them built a hospital for the poor people in order to take free land for his own project. How absurd!!

However, Karim is my favorite, even though he is a billionaire. He likes the idea of keeping his life simple. He doesn’t buy any private jets. While being a billionaire has been nice, but it hasn’t been the most important thing in his life.


He doesn’t need any more cars, since he already had ten. He doesn’t need any more houses, since he already owns one in Casablanca, one in Marrakech, one in Dubai and the one he is living in right now in New York.


The one thing Karim has really had, despite all his riches, is love. This feeling that people love him has brought him much more joy than all that money. It was nice to see the outpouring of love and support from his fans all around the country.


  

He doesn’t plan to die with a lot of money, though, He gives his money to poor people unasked. When he gives something, he gives it with joy. He always whips out his checkbook and hurriedly writes out a check for $100,000, gives it to the doctor who has saved many children’s lives. He thought for sure that it would cover all of the basic expenses.


He has a lot of money, and he does the best he can to be a good steward of it. He also thanks another charitable organization in a very big way by giving them 10% of his annual company budget.


By the time he dies, the money will have been allocated to nonprofit organizations, so that the money will continue to be used in good ways to help people thrive throughout my country.


This philanthropic organization had used that aid for decades but throughout the years, it turns out, the evidence says otherwise. Since their willing and their purpose have not been on the right track.


Karim believed their fake strategy to get rid of poverty. He didn’t do his own investigations to check their real achievement on the ground. That’s why we cannot win the fight against poverty in my country and solve some of the major problems.


The result would be better if Karim works with a small team to seek the people’s needs in order to give them some cash directly into their hands to achieve their project efficiently by themselves, free of corruption by using payment technology, satellite images, GPS coordinates and cell phones.”


“How about Aziz,” One of his disciples asked Nour.

“Aziz is a pretty strong man, he has a sweet heart and is a special volunteer.


He works as a barista at a coffee shop in our neighborhood. He uses his strength in a good way.

Meeting a wide variety of people through work, it is difficult for him to see people in pain. He takes care of everyone.


He decided to volunteer at the local homeless shelter. He showed his willingness to give so freely of his time, out of his already busy day schedule.

 

 

Sometimes he volunteers to paint and clean up our neighborhood. Sometimes he volunteers to help somebody to lift a heavy suitcase in the train station; to help an elderly person that often sends Aziz to get things that they need from the supermarket; stuff like aspirin, noodles, fresh vegetables and fruits.


Aziz is helpful, loving, organized and neat. He is funny and he loves to make people laugh. Listening to people talk about their needs rather than watching TV all day.

He is well-liked by everyone. Everyone in my city loves him madly since he is reliable…. Every day offers him an opportunity to affect somebody’s life. He loves being the center of attention.”


I want to participate in this meeting by asking one question to my teacher Nour.“Who gave these powerful things to Aziz and Karim, the strength and money before they tried to help the others?”


My teacher paused for a moment before he went on to explain to me. “I noticed that my God is the most generous that He gives us countless things without expecting anything in return. He gives us priceless things in this life. I think our existence is the best gift we have. We couldn’t live without air and water, never.


He gives us everything that we need. The most important thing in this life is water with three features, no color, no taste and no fragrance. He gives us our health, our sight, our sense of smell, our sense of touch, the ability to listen…..and a brain.


He gives us the land, the ocean, the fish, the animals, the plants, nature. We couldn’t live without vegetables, meat, milk, fish… never…We couldn’t live without, the stars, the sun, the moon, the universe, never… all move for us in the due time.


Know one truth; Our God gives us everything without even expecting anything from anyone and never expecting to reap anything from anyone. ” he said.

“Many volunteers in this life do things to help others in return for a place in paradise but Our God gives us everything because He is God and wants nothing in return and He wants to satisfy all our needs.”

 

I was convinced by his reply, it was the highlight of my day. It turned out to be an amazing turning point in my life.


I was so glad that I burst into tears. His reply was pretty emotional for me. I felt a sensation that I hadn’t felt before. I realized how much the three volunteers Nour, Karim, Aziz really loved others and how important it would be to love and support others now and forever.

I was proud of them for having helped others. I was so thrilled with myself that I try to use all my energy to the fullest, all my money, and all my knowledge as soon as I can to be like those three volunteers, Nour, Karim, Aziz,… all in one to give all of I have in a humble way without expecting anything from others. I made that commitment to myself right then and I felt whole better.

 
Later, I met my teacher Nour in the street when he came back from the supermarket. Fortunately, he was alone. I told him I hope to give my help again…I have worked as a computer engineer. I’m quite proficient in many programming languages and I want to participate by designing his website.


He stared at my face as if to test my sincerity and will. After, he nodded his head. I can’t believe my luck to be a part of it. I want to make this happen as soon as possible. I smiled at him, while he shook my hand and set an appointment at his apartment the next Sunday.

When I visited his apartment, I found that he lives a pretty normal existence. He gave me a warm welcome and made me feel at home.


I was excited to see him making orange juice, cookies and cakes all by himself ….just for me. He hurriedly placed the croissants on two small plates, prepared the tea. He brought me all those things graciously with a smile.


“I have poured all my money and my life into this project, so my first goal is to put my eBook on my website for free. It’s one way to share it immediately in the world,” he said.

 

We brainstormed ideas, created all types of lists, mind maps and graphics to organize and developing our website.


After working together for many months with nearly nonstop creative jam sessions on this website, I finally understood how he worked.


Sometimes, we would make an appointment at six am and then stay together until midday.


Sometimes we stayed up past midnight talking about the website details and how long it was going take us to get all those website pages developed and up and running.

We are both excited to have found a common passion. It turned out that we had really gotten into it.


The energy between the two of us was palpable. So we worked very hard so as to take an award in the future.

We enjoyed spending time together during evenings and on weekends.


 We decided that we couldn’t wait any longer to see our dream come true, and eventually, we ended by launching our website. He thanked me profusely for getting it done. We were both elated.


 He is the kindest, gentlest person I had ever met. Nour’s friendship made me feel so good that I have become more and more friendly to others. I’m eternally grateful for having met him.


His disciples called him many times a day. His knowledge is his refuge, and I inferred that the people respect him by his knowledge more than anything else.


Since we always need knowledge to progress, the only thing we miss is just the time, love and patience.


Later, many conferences in many countries called him to be their guest and attend in order to give a solution and answer for many issues in our life in the world.


When he travels, he is as a candle which gives us brightness in the darkness. Since his purpose is to improve our life by giving many sustainable solutions.


Over the many years, he has been interviewed by many news channels from many different countries around the world, and he has kept in contact with many friends over the world via Skype.


He also receives many requests from science lovers across the globe. So, he is an international media sensation. He was known around the world as one of the most talented.


When I visit a doctor, I see the doctor’s secretary listening to Nour’s speeches on her computer. When I eat in the restaurant I watch his speeches on TV. It seems he is wherever I go.


My volunteer teacher Nour is among us, even when he is in another country. His book is in all libraries in the world, so he is alive forever.


Even though, we read a book that was written two hundred years ago, we believe that the author is alive again around us.


Since his work is based on the knowledge that give us perfect solutions. His soul is rewarded by reading his work forever.


The smart people are the people who focus on the future. They know that one day they will leave this short journey in this life.They know that if they leave money, after many years the money will run out. If they are strong today, when they get older, they will be weaker later. However, if they leave behind knowledge, their name will be rewarded forever.


All in all, these three volunteers grant me these three keys: knowledge, money and strength. It’s up to me to choose to be a volunteer like them.  

One thing they have in common though is their love for humanity.


Since I don’t want to live the rest of my life as a silly person, then my dream is to be one of them to be the happiest human being alive on the planet forever.



         ©2015 Dakir Abderrahmane

© 2015 Abderrahmane Dakir


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

A amazing story my friend.
"knowledge, money and strength. It’s up to me to choose to be a volunteer like them.
One thing they have in common though is their love for humanity."
You left the reader with real life wisdom. I like the attitude of the bible. Can't take your wealth into heaven. Thank you for sharing the outstanding story.
Coyote

Posted 8 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Abderrahmane Dakir

8 Years Ago

Thank you so much for your wondrful comment .
Coyote Poetry

8 Years Ago

Was my pleasure and you are welcome.



Reviews

The Three Volunteers...

Write TIME in either 24 hrs - or AM - PM...Be consistent.

I also noticed (understandably) your English syntax throughout is a little suspect - no offence meant...Eg - He is a prolific teacher volunteer. He was in a hurry to fix anything, eager to get the show on the road enthusiastically.

ABOVE - tenses are mixed - first sentence present tense...second sentence past tense....AND eager to get the show on the road enthusiastically...There is no point in using the adjective 'eager' and the word 'enthusiastically' - both with similar meanings - in the same sentence.

General rule: NUMBERS under 10 (ten) are written as text- over 10 (ten) are written as numbers - nine - 11... After 20 years of working... CURRENCY $4

I see 'religion' creeping in again?

THEME seems to be - ASPIRATION - HOPE of changing for the better. Again some good basic ideas - but at times difficult to follow the thread of the short story. Is it based on a 'real' character(s)'??

The way to improve your writing is - TO WRITE. But as with your story - always aim to improve your work. Maybe progress through a system of drafts to improve your output. Nothing is ever set in concrete - even 'the best' writing can be improved. Good luck - Regards...Davy


Posted 8 Years Ago


Abderrahmane Dakir

8 Years Ago

Thank you so much for reading . Your advice means a lot for me. Thank you so much.
I echo what the other writers have said, your story contains valuable life lessons that are as timely as they are timeless.

Posted 8 Years Ago


Abderrahmane Dakir

8 Years Ago

Thank you so much for reading .
Really liked your story..Thanks for asking me to read it .....Good work ..Keep it up

Posted 8 Years Ago


Abderrahmane Dakir

8 Years Ago

Thank you so much for reading .
savant Hallermiday

8 Years Ago

Realy Great.
I find your story interesting. In particular, four short words "We were both elated". This struck me, as I find reason. The term "elated" is not one I've used often, nor heard often. Nor is elation a feeling, emotion, or state-of-being I've experienced often, as it is an ecstatic energy which cannot be held, but allowed to flow through us when open to it and blessed with it. Just yesterday I used this term more than once on the phone with a friend regarding my status with current experiences. The idea that not only one individual, but two, being elated individually regarding parallel paths is tremendous! So this really got my attention.

Posted 8 Years Ago


Abderrahmane Dakir

8 Years Ago

Thank you so much for reading .
I enjoyed reading this. Within it were valuable life lessons, and you put real life examples here. I like the "The smart people are the people who focus on the future....." all the way until the end, for the truth behind it. It is true that when you leave behind knowledge, your name will be known forever. Knowledge brings something that money never could. Money is only a resource that helps you give your knowledge to others.
Thank you for sharing this with us all.

Posted 8 Years Ago


Abderrahmane Dakir

8 Years Ago

Thank you so much for reading .
I really enjoyed this story and I recommend it to anybody willing to read it. May God bless you.

Posted 8 Years Ago


Abderrahmane Dakir

8 Years Ago

Thank you so much for reading .
Melissa

8 Years Ago

Your welcome.
Nice story, it was captivating. So much wisdom and conviction that is shown throughout the story.
Thank you for sharing.

Insight.

Posted 8 Years Ago


Abderrahmane Dakir

8 Years Ago

Thank you so much for reading .
"He works on an engine designs" - "an" speaks toward a singular and really isn't needed anyway.
"He always states by grinning from ear to ear," - starts? but if you really meant "states" perhaps the word "by" would be better as "while" for your purpose?

You've gotten better at expressing your thoughts in English. The story isn't an easy read but it IS coherent and understandable. The message is worth being heard.

Chris




Posted 8 Years Ago


Abderrahmane Dakir

8 Years Ago

Thank you so much for reading .
Chris

8 Years Ago

You brought a good idea to fruition. A thought worthy to be expressed and heard. I look forward to.. read more
A amazing story my friend.
"knowledge, money and strength. It’s up to me to choose to be a volunteer like them.
One thing they have in common though is their love for humanity."
You left the reader with real life wisdom. I like the attitude of the bible. Can't take your wealth into heaven. Thank you for sharing the outstanding story.
Coyote

Posted 8 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Abderrahmane Dakir

8 Years Ago

Thank you so much for your wondrful comment .
Coyote Poetry

8 Years Ago

Was my pleasure and you are welcome.

First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

842 Views
24 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on October 22, 2015
Last Updated on October 24, 2015
Tags: volunteer, love, life, money, health, knowledge, abderrahmana, dakir, short, story, poem

Author

Abderrahmane Dakir
Abderrahmane Dakir

casablanca, Morocco



About
I love to share my ideas with you, I love to read your imagination...writing is one way to know all of the best things in the world. My Books at Amazon : http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


A Rich Substance A Rich Substance

A Poem by BL