venus

venus

A Poem by Dana Alsamsam
"

a girl that interested me on the train. an attempt to combat writer's block.

"
pale and close to a miracle 
her inhales consist of silk and she can't help
that her body looks like a question mark.
feeling at home in the florescence 
as the train nears morton grove
she drifts to the sliding doors, blending in
with the metal as pieces of her flesh wick away
against the rubber chair 
like pearls falling from an evening dress.
she is transparent.
reality seeps into her windows
like a plum ink blot the shape of chicago
exposing the stained glass words engraved in her skin.
she would speak, but she only knows
varying degrees of poetry. 

through my aperture
she is venus exposed
and i am too opaque. 

© 2013 Dana Alsamsam


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Well you have quite a way of fighting writer's block. Love this. It made me wonder how I might appear to an outside observer. There were so many parts of this that were fabulous. Her body a questions mark, her flash wicking away like pearls on a gown, reality seeping into her transparency. Seriously well written and the end my fav.

through my aperture
she is venus exposed
and i am too opaque.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Dana Alsamsam

10 Years Ago

thank you so much! i've always wondered myself how i'd be described by another writer...



Reviews

Amazing read for someone with writer's block, I think you cracked that code with this one Dana....I know I'm late to the party, still doing catchup....

like pearls falling from an evening dress.
she is transparent.

Love that, great read!

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Dana Alsamsam

10 Years Ago

no worries! i've been doing plenty of catching up as well in terms of read requests. thank you so mu.. read more
Frieda P

10 Years Ago

This is what happens when you stay away too long, my pleasure always Dana. :-)
I'd say mission accomplished in killing the block Dana haha This is a totally original piece with some very unique imagery...I'm not sure there's much else I can even say...awesome work :)

Posted 10 Years Ago


Dana Alsamsam

10 Years Ago

thank you so much!
kublakhan27

10 Years Ago

Always a pleasure Dana :)
Well you have quite a way of fighting writer's block. Love this. It made me wonder how I might appear to an outside observer. There were so many parts of this that were fabulous. Her body a questions mark, her flash wicking away like pearls on a gown, reality seeping into her transparency. Seriously well written and the end my fav.

through my aperture
she is venus exposed
and i am too opaque.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Dana Alsamsam

10 Years Ago

thank you so much! i've always wondered myself how i'd be described by another writer...
I loved this I just absolutely loved it :) pure gold

Posted 10 Years Ago


Soft and smooth flow very pleasant to read

Posted 10 Years Ago


Beautifully written. Love the imagery, it's inspirational.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Dana Alsamsam

10 Years Ago

thank you so much for stopping by and giving me a read :)
Love the vivid imagery in this one Dana. You always seem to write interesting thoughts when you are in transit. I like that because I've always used transit, and because of it I've been afforded with some amazing sights and perspectives into humanity. I would have wrote "inhalations" or "breaths" instead of "inhales" but other than that, I wouldn't worry too much about the writer's block, just take a ride and inspiration will find you my friend.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Dana Alsamsam

10 Years Ago

thanks for the suggestion and for all of your great reviews on my recent pieces. something about sit.. read more
Astro

10 Years Ago

Me too! :)
Well if this is writer's block I want some. This is a beautifully flowing piece so well described of what you were observing and told in vivid pictures of words as always.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Dana Alsamsam

10 Years Ago

haha you're so kind! thank you :)
I like this observational style. I often do the same when I am feeling "blocked"...I will just look around until I find something that I think I can write about and then I force myself to do it; most of the time it works, as it has here in your case.

I think this piece really picks up speed in the latter half...the idea of her standing up and becoming like "a plum ink blot the shape of chicago" was brilliant. I also enjoyed "through my aperature/she is venus exposed"--the "camera" imagery was quite a nice touch. Overall, I think this one was pretty well done. Glad you decided to share it!

Posted 10 Years Ago


Dana Alsamsam

10 Years Ago

thank you very much for your kind words! observation is sometimes what writers do best and is a grea.. read more
A interesting observational written poem. Visual perception is the best inspiration as long as what you're looking at is appealing to the eye. I hope your writer's block will be a temporary detour along the road for your written poetry. Great work. A creatively interesting read & write. :)

Posted 10 Years Ago


Dana Alsamsam

10 Years Ago

thank you! i hope i'm able to explore some new themes as well :)

First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

458 Views
13 Reviews
Rating
Added on July 30, 2013
Last Updated on July 30, 2013
Tags: train, girl, body, ethereal, transparent, beauty, poetry, opaque

Author

Dana Alsamsam
Dana Alsamsam

Chicago, IL



About
"my brain hums with scraps of poetry and madness." i dance, write and play violin. i'm studying english and training in dance in chicago. i like spooky things, red lipstick, caffeine, punk/indi.. more..

Writing
mother mother

A Poem by Dana Alsamsam



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..