Preface: The Beginning of the End

Preface: The Beginning of the End

A Chapter by danceswithhorses
"

Evan knew he was running out of time...he'd been walking the edge for twenty years. But now that the day had come, he found himself completely unprepared.

"

He had been strong for eighteen years. 

He could be for a few days more. The reality might still threaten to shatter him from the inside out, but he couldn’t lose control. Not now, in these last days.

 With a start, Evan realized his lieutenant was still waiting. “We’ll take action immediately. Call a meeting in the Conference Room " I’ll join you shortly. You may go now. Oh, and Lee,” he added, “send my family in.”

  His lanky young officer offered a respectful bow. 

“Don’t worry, Your Majesty. We have better men and more resources. We’ll send them packing,” he said, eagerness coloring his voice.

  “I’m not worried, Lieutenant. Thank you,” he said, as his zealous officer strode out of the room. No, he wasn’t worried. 

Just resigned to what he couldn’t change. 

Faced with the large, impersonal room, the two thrones, the tapestries hung on the stone walls, he tried hungrily to memorize it all. Even the solitary window, as a burst of sunlight drew his eyes. The dark of the drapes contrasted with dust motes that danced in the rays, hidden until the light revealed their presence.

  As the prophecy had revealed the presence of evil to him. 

 This castle had served as home to generations of Brisbans. Would it be destroyed or spared? He hoped it would survive. But what did it matter, in the end? No structure was worth even one life. 

So many people were going to die. He had seen himself give his life. Eleanor giving hers.

  It was worthy. There was no doubt about that. He would die a thousand times for his country if he could. 

 The door opened and his wife came in, one look at her husband’s face telling her the truth. She didn’t cry, just let him hold her. Like him, she was glad the terrible waiting was over.

  His son, Edward, and daughter-in-law, Claire, stood tall behind Eleanor. Evan only hesitated a moment before plunging into the dark story that had haunted his life.

  “Anthrope attacked this morning, son, successfully breaching the northern border.”

  It took Edward a few minutes to find his voice. “I don’t understand, Father,” he faltered. 

“What more did this…prophecy tell you?”

  Evan shook his head. “That will remain a secret forever, Edward. I won’t let you suffer what your mother and I have.”

  Claire had remained silent all this time, but now she spoke. “What will become of us?” she asked quietly.

  Evan didn’t answer for a time. When he did his voice was grave and sad. “I don’t know, child. I don’t know.”

  One week later the war began in earnest. Five days after that, the newly orphaned Edward Brisban claimed the throne and took his parents’ places in battle.



© 2013 danceswithhorses


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

sounds good so far:)

Posted 11 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

157 Views
1 Review
Added on March 11, 2013
Last Updated on March 12, 2013