Run Away

Run Away

A Chapter by Danielle Nicole
"

Chapter 1

"

My car races down the roads at lightening speeds; the top is down and my dyed-black hair whips around in the wind like thousands of angry snakes sprouting from my scalp. I can't turn people to stone, but if Medusa and the Wicked Witch of the West had a love child I certainly would be the result. And the tears messing up my make- up doesn't exactly help. Rolling my eyes at the thought, I wipe my runny nose and run a hand through my hair-- and let out a groan when I realize that I just ran my snot through my hair-- feeling frustrated (and disgusted).

The stress and anxiety that surrounds me is too much. It’s enveloping me. Drowning me. Killing me…I have to escape. I’ll do ANYTHING to escape. My foot is jammed down on the accelerator as I wiz past stop signs and traffic lights. My speedometer reads 75mph in a zone marked 30… I thank God that there are no people around; but who would be at two in the morning in Genesis, Nevada? If this one horse town is dead as a doornail during the day, why would ANYONE be awake in the early hours?

I floor it and listen as the engine guns before it jolts me forward, causing the speedometer too waiver slightly. The speedometer darts up to 88mph, and even then it continues to climb. I’m trying to get away from my own mind but I can’t no matter how hard I try. All I can do is let the wind crash over me and allow the miles to rack up on my red VW convertible; placing me as far away from home as possible. Tightening my grip on the wheel till my knuckles turn white, I try to block out the sound of my engine and focus on the sound of the wind flowing over my ears. A sound so piercing, painful, and unpleasant- but it’s exactly what I need. I NEED to grasp the wheel till my hands turn blue. I NEED to allow the howl of the wind to practically deafen me. I need all of this; and by having this I can get away. Which is what I TRUELY need…to get away.

My tires screech like a banshee in the night as I pull into a parking space at the beach and slam on the breaks. I shut off my headlights, put it in park, and squeeze the wheel, sobbing lightly. I wipe the tears away and choke back the rest before jumping out of the car. I approach the sand and pause for a moment, staring out at the beauty of the sea: the pure white sands, the crystal blue water that currently looks black against the darkened night sky. The rays of the moon glint magically off of the waves that crash into the perfection that is the shore. And then there is the moon itself- pristine and prominent in the sky. Tears well up in my eyes as I take in the scene before me- The beauty and inspiration that nature invokes in people is so pure. So thought provoking…

I slip off my sandals and place them in the driver’s seat as I roll up the legs of my pants. I walk cautiously over the asphalt and step softly onto the beach, allowing my feet to sink into the sand, closing my eyes as I feel the rock and grit seep in between my toes. As I walk I heave a heavy sigh. I watch the water; the waves crashing upon the shore like a hand relentlessly smacking someone’s face. It’s almost as if each wave is beating the sand into submission. Now the tears that were welling up in my eyes are streaming down my face. I can’t run from my fears. I can’t run from ANYTHING. It will come back and bite me, just like the waves come back to the shore every single time. Never giving up, never provoked- just angry and relentless…

I run back towards my car, dusting off my feet as I get in. Hastily putting on my sandals and wiping the tears from my eyes I put my key in the engine. Now that I have indulged my sorrow and woe, it’s time to go back. Time to face my anxiety and get back home before anyone notices that I have gone.

I put my key in the ignition and pull out of the parking lot. Instead of speeding away from home, I’m booking back home at 90mph. I speed down the roads, avoiding the double parked cars on the side of the street and ignoring the dogs that bark at me as I pass. A four way intersection comes into view. I floor it and hit 99mph. I know where I am! I’m SO close to home. All I need to do is go about two more blocks, make a right and I’m home. I speed through the red light and…

***CRASH!***



© 2015 Danielle Nicole


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

127 Views
Added on August 21, 2012
Last Updated on January 10, 2015
Tags: Crash


Author

Danielle Nicole
Danielle Nicole

NY



About
"I write from experience. I write from the heart. I write when inspired by... well... I find that inspiration is everywhere. Its not about looking in the right places for it- its about being open to i.. more..

Writing