Chapter One: Shadows and Fangs

Chapter One: Shadows and Fangs

A Chapter by Daniel J. Smith
"

Keiron Nathron and his family are hiking through the Pillarwater Forest on their journey to the capital when they run into a nightmarish creature.

"

The blissful oblivion of dreamless sleep was interrupted abruptly by the spear of cold pain as Keiron Nathron was dumped unceremoniously into crisp forest stream. With a glare that could curdle milk, he stomped past his father and little sister who were clutching their sides from laughing so hard.

"I hate you both," he snapped.

"Hey, it's not our fault that you're such a deep sleeper," his father retorted. "I yelled at you twice and then we carried you to the stream. Well, I did. Emlyn just giggled all the way."

Keiron ground his teeth as he stalked back to the camp. His irritation only increased as he heard the telltale squishing of the water inside his boots. He was regretting the choice to always sleep in his boots.

"Keiron?" his mother said tentatively as she stepped out of their small tent. "Did you decide to go swimming with your clothes on?"

He opened his mouth to retort but settled for an unintelligible mumble as he began pulling his clothes off and setting them on the rope line between two elm trees. Reduced to his undergarments, he sat by the small fire that his mother had made, shivering and hoping that the anger boiling his blood would warm him up.

"Sowwy, Keewon." Emlyn's voice was a whisper and Keiron's rage died in his chest at the big tears welling up in his four-year-old sister's brown eyes.

With a heavy sigh, he wrapped his arms around her. "It's okay, sissy. The water is just cold and I didn't mean it when I said I hate you both."

"Pwomise?"

"I promise."

"Okay." She sat down on the log next to him and gazed into the flames in fascination.

Mother stared hard at Father. "Adar, you should have found a kinder way to wake him."

"Couldn't be helped, Mara," he defended with a look of mock innocence.

Mother sighed and went back to fixing breakfast.

The morning meal was full of eggs, sausage, and laughter. When it calmed down, the tent was packed up with hurried precision and they were soon back on the winding road through Pillarwater Forest.

It had been almost a week since they had set out from Moonmeadow, a small village along the foothills of the Dragonspine Mountains. Yesterday they had started moving through the Pillarwater Forest and closing fast on the goal of reaching Camtar, the capital of Camtaria, where a sizable inheritance awaited Father from his uncle.

In Keiron's opinion, they should have just taken the direct route with the King's Highway instead of hoofing it through the underbrush like some mountain men. Still, there was some pretty ponds and wildlife to be seen and he had even once seen a pack of fairies dance in front of him before vanishing behind a line of trees.

The King's Highway was said to be enchanted but more likely than not, Father had just chosen to forgo the safer route because they could avoid the tolls. Even the King's Guard could ride up and demand a tax for the road. No, Father was probably right about taking the rougher path through Pillarwater.

"How much further is it, Dad?"

"The capital? Not much further. We can camp out on the Fowler Plains and be at Camtar by sundown tomorrow. Then it's fine dining for us for a month straight if I have my way."

"Can't we just walk faster and get there tonight?"

"Son, you know your mother and sister walk slower. Cut them a bit of slack, eh?"

Keiron rolled his eyes and shuffled past his father.

"Don't get out of my line of sight, Keiron."

With an exaggerated waved over his shoulder, Keiron slowed his walked. As he stepped over the second hill, a strange fog seemed to creep toward him and filled the air with a sweet smell. It was enticing and yet he couldn't help but feel that something was wrong.

"Keiron?" Father called.

Out of the fog, a wolf appeared.

No, Keiron corrected as the beast stepped closer. No wolf could be that large.

He quickly grabbed a large rock and chucked it with all his might at the black creature's head. The body rippled and pine needles crunched on the forest floor as the stone hit them. The rock had fully passed through the monster's body without any resistance.

The creature smiled at him, its jaws splitting to reveal a wide array of serrated teeth. Its claws dug into the ground and it huffed several times. Was it laughing at him?

"Keiron!" Father shouted but froze as he caught sight of the creature.

"W-what do we do?"

"Run," his father whispered as he grabbed Keiron's hand. His other hand gestured toward the beast and a shimmering green wall appeared between the two humans and the salivating beast.

As they dashed down the hill back toward his mother and Emlyn, Keiron heard the beast scream. He covered his ears to block out the shrill noise, but he still seemed to feel it in his head.

"What is it, Adar?" Mother drew her wand, her eyes trained on the hill.

"Shadefang," Father answered quickly. "Take your sister and run as fast as you can."

"But--"

"Keiron, do as I say! Go!" His hands glowed with red magic and he said, "Mara, strike it hard."

He hesitated for only another moment before he grabbed Emlyn's hand and raced for the treeline. If he could reach the King's Road, maybe the creature would leave them alone. Keiron could only hope that someone would be able to help his mother and father fight the beast.

His thoughts were interrupted as he heard first his father's then his mother's screams, followed by the worst silence that Keiron could ever remember. His heart seemed to be clutched by some unseen hand and hot tears poured down his cheeks.

"Keewon?" Emlyn's small voice whimpered. "Are Mama and Daddy ok?"

It took all of the willpower his small body could muster, but he forced the sickening feeling down until he could focus. He locked eyes with Emlyn.

"We have to keep running, Em. It's what they told us to do. They will find us."

The two siblings began running down the King's Road. They had made it nearly 500 feet before Keiron heard a snarl from the forest.

He glanced back and saw the Shadefang bounding toward them, undeterred by the King's Road. With only seconds to react, Keiron did the only thing he could think to do. His hand grasped Emlyn with a vice-like grip.

"Run! Get help!"

Emlyn wailed but obeyed.

Keiron spun and launched himself at the Shadefang. Wild magic enveloped his body. His skin felt like it was on fire but it paled to the burning fury that boiled out of the depths of loss. His parents would never come back and this monster would pay for it. It deserved to die screaming like his mother and father had.

His body connected with the Shadefang. A burst of light and hot pain flared through every nerve in Keiron's body. The world spun and silvery bursts of something bright obscured his vision just seconds before everything faded to black.



© 2017 Daniel J. Smith


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

It seems to be a good start to a good tale. I would consider showing more emotion from your main though. Perhaps fright when seeing the rock pass through the creature, or unwillingness to accept the fate of the parents. Just something to consider to make them feel more life like. Good first chapter though!

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Daniel J. Smith

7 Years Ago

Thanks. Those are great suggestions.



Reviews

It seems to be a good start to a good tale. I would consider showing more emotion from your main though. Perhaps fright when seeing the rock pass through the creature, or unwillingness to accept the fate of the parents. Just something to consider to make them feel more life like. Good first chapter though!

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Daniel J. Smith

7 Years Ago

Thanks. Those are great suggestions.
The fantasy genre is really not my thing but the story kept me interested and you have created a believable world. The interaction between the family members is also believable and there is a nice flow to the story.

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Daniel J. Smith

7 Years Ago

Thank you for your review. I try to make the characters believable and am glad that I suceeded.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

140 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on January 25, 2017
Last Updated on January 25, 2017
Tags: fantasy, monster, danger, family, escape


Author

Daniel J. Smith
Daniel J. Smith

Kansas City, MO



About
I'm just a writer who like most of you, am looking to improve my writing and make my story shine. I'd love to be a traditionally published author but I'm considering independent publishing as well. more..

Writing