Chapter Two: Ten Years Later

Chapter Two: Ten Years Later

A Chapter by Daniel J. Smith
"

Nysana Merethil is summoned in the middle of the night to the Mistress of War's office.

"

Nysana Merethil sat perfectly still, her perfect posture warring with the maddening nervousness that rushed through her like a tornado. She had been summoned to see the Agatha Stonespear, the Mistress of War herself. A legend among Battle Witches and throughout the Realm, Mistress Stonespear commanded respect that Nysana could only dream of.

She had finished her Final Trials just yesterday, a rigorous course of physical and psychological traps that could cause even the strongest witch to falter. Weakness was unacceptable and as far as Nysana knew, she had passed with flying colors. However, it would normally be a week before the scores were announced for all graduates.

Why am I being summoned now? Did I do something wrong?

Her mind raced through the course, cutting apart every memory to see even the slightest flaw in her reasoning, actions or particular spell usage. Nothing seemed amiss. Could it have been the shadow spells that she cast to fight the basilisk? Or maybe she should have allowed her shadowy mirror image that taunted her to live instead of obliterating it? It certainly couldn't be a failure to save the obvious illusion, could it? What did I mess up?

She sighed and clenched her fists tightly for several seconds before relaxing.

The tall oak door creaked open and a middle-aged woman with curly black hair gave her a small smile. "Initiate Merethil, the Mistress of War will see you now."

Nysana stepped into the room and was astonished at a number of books that lined both sides of the room. They were full yet without a single book out of place. The room emanated an ambient energy that Nysana couldn't place. It didn't feel unpleasant but Nysana still felt that she should be on guard.

"Hello, Nysana. Please sit."

The young witch felt her mouth suddenly dry and tucked a strand of her red hair behind one ear. She found that the seat that was offered was unusually comfortable. In fact, the whole room seemed far too 'lived in' for a Mistress of War. She would never voice such a thought, but the sensation almost seemed wrong.

"Not what you were expecting, is it?"

"I . . . um--"

Agatha waved her hand in dismissal, a light smile on her lips. "It happens to everyone who steps in here for the first time. Everyone assumes that it should be gloomy in here so that it reflects the dark emotion that war brings. Tell me, Nysana. What happens after a war and before another?"

"Well, we prepare for the next one, making ourselves strong and build up our defensives. You can never be too prepared for what comes next and we must remain vigilant."

"A well-said argument for those who contribute to the war effort but not in favor of my point. Living, Miss Merethil. People live between wars and thank the gods that they do or we wouldn't have anything to appreciate. War tears apart families but the broken pieces still find it within themselves to make new bonds. Friendships, families, and fellowship that maintains their humanity. It is the whole reason that we protect those we love during times of war. Life!"

Nysana opened her mouth and closed it again.

Agatha chuckled. "These books are filled with stories of the lives, thoughts, and opinions of all the people since Camtaria was founded. I only own 5 books on how to make war. The rest are to remind me to remain human. Never lose sight of that even in the heat of battle."

"I won't, Mistress."

The older witch leaned back in her chair, her gray frizzy hair falling loosely on her shoulders. "You are probably wondering why you were summoned here so soon after your Trial, yes?"

"The thought had crossed my mind."

Agatha passed a scroll across the large desk toward Nysana. "This an enchanted scroll, sealed to the eyes of only one person."

"I'm to deliver it?" Nysana wanted to wrinkle her nose at the thought of being reduced to a mere messenger.

"Have you ever heard of Valmystaal?"

Nysana quirked an eyebrow. "Every Battle Witch knows of Valmystaal. Their ban of us from ever studying there because of the attempted assassination of its Grandmaster 200 years ago is told to every Initiate."

"Every Mistress of Battle has always come from the bloodline of those same witches and Grandmaster Surogeth has always been prejudiced against Battle Witches for that reason."

"Dragons never forget and never forgive," Nysana quoted.

Agatha nodded. "I have been Mistress of War for a little over 10 years now and it wasn't until last week that I realized that I was the first Mistress in 2 centuries that did not come from that bloodline. Perhaps that could give me a way to speak to Surogeth on our behalf."

"And he said yes?"

"He told me that he would not rule out a witch who seeks knowledge for knowledge's sake. Now for a witch that is quite common. For a Battle Witch that would be rare."

Nysana wondered if she should say something, but waited.

"For a Battle Witch who has just graduated at the top of her class to be accepted at the most prestigious academy of magic in the West, well, that would certainly pave the way for other Battle Witches to go to Valmystaal."

Nysana's eyes bulged. "You . . . you want me to attend Valmystaal? Me? I'm top of my class?"

Agatha nodded. "Should you prove yourself capable of mastering any magic they teach you--and I have to reason to think otherwise--you will be given a promotion to Battle Maiden and apprenticed to any Battle Mistress you choose."

"That's unbelievably generous," Nysana stated.

"Not at all, Miss Merethil. You will be part of a mission to allow us access to tomes of magic that we would never have otherwise. With that knowledge, we can better protect the citizens of Camtar and should any ancient evils stir, we will be better able to counter those too."

Nysana took a deep breath and let it out, contemplating the ramifications of such an important mission. If she botched it, she would be ruining the chances for dozens of Battle Witches to attend Valmystaal. What mystic secrets lay hidden in the academy's troves of tomes and grimoires?

"I understand that it is a big decision to make and you might want to sleep on it--"

"No," Nysana interrupted and cringed.

"You've made your decision then?"

"Yes, Mistress. I'll do it and I won't fail."

Agatha Stonespear grinned from ear to ear. "Fantastic! You will leave at first light tomorrow and teleport to Valmystaal. The First Apprentice will meet you there."

Nysana stood in unison with the Mistress. "I appreciate this great honor that you have given me. I do have to ask, though--why me? Even if I am top of my class, there are other Battle Witches more experienced and more powerful and--"

Agatha held up her hand and Nysana shut up instantly. "I chose you not because you were the best at winning a battle of blood, but because you are capable of winning a battle of allegiances. More often than not, that battle will decide the outcome of all others. We need the allegiance of Surogeth. If we cannot get it, you will have failed. I trust you not to fail based on how you have made friends among your peers. Was my trust misplaced? Was I mistaken?"

The young witch steeled her gaze and locked eyes with the leader of the Battle Witches. "No. You weren't mistaken. I won't fail you."

The Mistress nodded and gestured toward the door. "Off you get then. Get some rest. You don't want to look like you just wrestled a troll when you get there."

Nysana bowed low. "Thank you again, Mistress."

Just as she was about to leave, Agatha called out, "Oh and Ms. Merethil?"

"Yes?"

"Don't forget who you are and who your people are."

Nysana frowned but gave a stiff nod, shutting the door behind her. The monumental moment crashed down on her and joyful tears welled up in her eyes. She wiped them away and strode off for the dormitory. She doubted that sleep would come quickly but she should at least lay down and rest. Her mission began tomorrow but tonight, she would still be a Battle Witch who graduated at the top of her class.

As she entered the dormitory, she saw the sleeping faces of the girls who had been like sisters to her for the last two years. Competition was fierce and those who couldn't face the rigors of the final leg of Battle Witch Trials found work in other areas. It was disheartening and with a twinge of guilt, it made the victory of being the best taste even sweeter.

"Nysana?" A pretty blond girl named Bettratha whispered, rubbing one eye. She had been the first to befriend Nysana when they had made it to the Final Trial training group two years ago.

 "Why are you still up?"

Nysana rolled onto her bed, a sickening feeling in her chest robbing her of the happiness she had felt when she left the Mistress' office. 

"I'm going to sleep now, Betts. Go back to sleep," she said.

"You think we did good on the Trials? You think you did good. I know how much you wanted to be top of the class."

"We'll know tomorrow," Nysana answered, hating the double meaning. Of course, Bettratha would find out tomorrow. She'd find out that her best friend had left without even a goodbye.

Bettratha nodded and lay back on her pillow. Her soft snores let Nysana know she had made it back to sleep.

"I'll miss you, Betts." A tear slid down the side of Nysana's cheek, and it took all of her willpower not to let any more fall.

Sleep did not come easy for the girl who was leaving everything behind for a cause she believed in. Finally, an hour after she had laid down, her eyelids were too heavy to stay open and she drifted into a restless sleep.



© 2017 Daniel J. Smith


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

118 Views
Added on January 25, 2017
Last Updated on January 25, 2017
Tags: fantasy, witch, battle, trials, opportunity, meeting


Author

Daniel J. Smith
Daniel J. Smith

Kansas City, MO



About
I'm just a writer who like most of you, am looking to improve my writing and make my story shine. I'd love to be a traditionally published author but I'm considering independent publishing as well. more..

Writing