Chapter 3

Chapter 3

A Chapter by darkkid1000
"

Arrival at a new town. Something is wrong.

"
The entirity of the walk to the town Eric had been teasing Mariah who was on a steady stream of anger at this point and started angerly walking a head of of him. as they came over the crest of the last hill they saw what use to be the small town. This town had grown over the last five years under the new kingdom and was now a bustling city. Unlike the other cities that weren't close to the capital and being open. This one had walls around it just like the capital. Even though the walls currently looked hastily and crudely built it looked as if they were working on more permenent walls to go up a bit further out. At the point where they could enter they saw two guards tentavily standing guard at the entrance. On their chest however they had a special crest That Eric had only seen once or twice. The crest was of a bear's paw print with swords crossing under it. "why would a city need demon hunters at really hastily built walls?" Eric asked a head to the also stunned Mariah "More importantly how could they afford to hire them?" 
Mariah turned around, she had taken the brunt of Eric's obssessive teasing not to meantion now that she was out of the situation she was steaming mad at the way she had been handled when Eric was made his demands. It was her turn to make her jabs even though she really didn't learn much anything else about him because some how he kept the subject on her. "There here because they know your part demon and they heard rumors that you were comming here to destroy their town. Just like you almost destroyed the last one. They are also able to afford them because they've accepted My father's decrees and have prospered from it unlike all your other puny weak villages of your kingdom." She smiled proudly of herself "I'm going to tear him down and make him regret ever touching me!" she vowed to herself in her head
Eric looked at Mariah stunned at what she she said at first then started laughing really loud and hard almost falling over. Mariah's look went from proud to confusion at his laughter then quickly followed by anger. "How dare he laugh he is suppose to be demorilized and angered!" she thought clenching her fist she stomped her way over to the ball of laughter that was Eric who layed on the ground and gave him a sharp and harsh kick in the ribs "Why are you laughing! your suppose to be crushed!" she screamed at him.
The kick had brought him back to reality and his laughing fit slowly subsided as he picked himself up whiping tears from his eyes and holding his stomach a few chuckles forced themselves out before he took in a deep breath "Oh! thank you I needed that I haven't had a good laugh like that in the longest of times." Mariah glared at him "To answer your question I've gained really thick skin from both my commerads that your family and killed, gods bless their souls, as well as the redicule I recieved as being the only surviving member of the Elite Guardian Force being stripped of my position by your family and left in the streets to fend for myself. You dont deserve to know how I survived your families onslaught and the prison of your family. I also don't think you care. However! what really got me laughing is the fact I haven't heard that rumor for so long. Oh the good memories it brought back." A couple more chuckles broke free from his lips "If that was an attempt to get back for teasing the princess of my enemy then you'll have to do a bit better than that."
Mariah just got even more furious with his words but instead of hitting him she started walking forward towards the city. Eric looked down at the city "d****t... if we go in seperate then their bound to notice us both faster than I can lift their coins." he whispered then an idea hit him. "I don't want to" he frantically searched for another way in instead of his original idea. he sighed after a couple more moments "Mariah wait!" he said as he lightly jogged to catch up. She had gotten to the base of the hill before he caught up "Look we need a plan to get in. If either of us walk up to the gates a lone they will Identify us right on the spot. We need a cover" He said
She looked at him "your crazy!" she said pulling away. Eric growled and stepped infront of her "I'm serious. Trust me, look this is the plan." Mariah put her hand in his face purpously cutting him off disrespectfully "You dont want me to follow you, which means you don't need my help. I dont need yours either so get out of my way this is where our paths split!" She then stepped around purpously bumping him as she walked past him and towards the gate.
Eric sighed "women!" he said to himself following a little way behind her as he formulated a plan to force her to help him in through the gate. Mariah was confident in her actions and smiled to herself "so he was afraid they would identify him and not let him in or imprison him. Oh the cards have fallen in my favor now I can get him back and get rid of him for good." she thought to herself not noticing him following or how close she was to the gates when the guards shouted
"Halt who goes there!" one of the guards shouted snapping Mariah out of her thoughts of revenge. She looked up and relized she had forgotten to lift up her hood. "better late then never" she thought lifting it up over her head. She cleared her throat.
"Me? Oh I'm just a traveler on a Journey of sorts to cross the land and see all I can see" she smiled now that the hood covered majority of her face unless they actually tried to look at her face. Which is exactly what the guard who had remained silent did.
The guard spoke with suspicion in his voice. "You look awefully like the missing Princess. What is your name  Traveler." Mariah was shocked as "was I wrong? Do I really need his help to proceed? Is this the end of my journy for the gods?" she asked in her thoughts as she stumbled for words "I'm.. Uh... I..." was all that came out of her lips "Work d****t make Words!" she demanded her body before feeling something wrap over her shoulders and pull her close to a body
"This is Samantha, She is trying to over come her shyness which is why she left me while I was handling my business at the edge of the forest. Yes she does look a lot like the Princess. Only the gods know how many times we had to explain to the guards that she isn't actually the Princess.. even more so now that apparently our dear beloved Princess is missing." As Eric spoke his last words he made sure to put an extra Emotion into the words and upon saying "beloved Princess" his arm around Mariah tightened as if to say "Don't you dare blow this and just go with it for now, I'm hating it as much as you are." 
"And you are?" The guard asked looking closely at Eric who was grinning ear to ear. "What you haven't heard of me? His arm released Mariah frocing her behind him as he stepped forward to the guard almost getting in his face "I am the great and mighty Chuck Lee! Master swordsman and revered from all who weilds a sword or gunblade!"
Eric was eye to eye with the guard allowing the guard to look at him really closely. Mariah's heart was pounding fast and hard. "What is he doing! The nerve of this guy! Thinks he can touch me anyway he pleases and gestures for me not to blow this then he gets in the guard's face. I don't know why he is trying to hide from the guards, but surely they will reconize him being that close with them! Ugh and he thought I was going to blow it!" Her mind was going wild and anger continued to fill her as she thought about what he was doing.
The first guard looked between the two "And what is your relationship to miss Samantha?" He asked with uncertainty on what he was being told being the truth. The guard who Eric was in his face took a step back and cleared his throat Eric turned his attention to the other guard "well As a swordsman my life is always on the edge and full of danger, I dont want my techniques to dissapear when I die so I've adopted this lovely woman as my apprentice." 
"Then why does she have a bow?" Asked the first guard "And I thought she was on an adventure of sorts." 
With out missing a beat after shooting a clance at Mariah as if saying "seriously thats your best?" He stepped into the first guards face like he had the second Eye to Eye. His hands had been in his pockets the hole time to show that he wasn't going to be reaching for his sword and he was comfotable. "What a wandering swordsman for hire isn't on an adventure? he looks turns and looks at Mariah "Can you believe this guard! Sam remind me to tell the king about his idiocrocy and the hassel he is giving us right now. he then turned back and glared at the guard in the eyes "I'll have you know the king and I are really close actually. Ugh I can't believe people have forgotten about the one who has slain the Demon Eric! In the battle that decided the fate of the last kingdom. The king has asked me to hunt down and do the same to the man that has adopted that demon's name" he made it a purpose to use the word demon in another Jab at Mariah for originally turning him down. This of course made her anger grew even more
"I can't take this big mouth much more! I'm going kill him!" Mariah was thinking her emotions starting to get the better of her she stepped forward and punched Eric in the back of the head causing him to but heads with the guard he was currently staring down "Don't you think they've had enough master." The word was bitter in her mouth she was deffiently going to make him pay for this. No, she was going to kill him with her own two hands when his use ran out. She would lock beat him to an inch of his life then leave him for the guards to do the rest. These Images filled her mind and she grined evilishly inwardly. For now she was going to make him suffer really slowly and painfully.
Eric rubbed the back of his head and shot a glare at Mariah "I'm terribly sorry about that my as right as my apprentice is she has a terrible temper, which is why she has the bow, to teach her tranquility and percision. It is part of my teaching techniques, so don't you dare question them! In anycase. We really must be going, so if you could let us in." The guards now having some space from Eric look at each other "our appologies Mr. Lee but since your on such a high reguard and we've caused you such distress we have no right asking this of you, but may you visit our mayor at town hall, Explain what transpired and ask him to fill you in on the details on the high pay reward but can as you can see this city is in the middle of a crisis that we are attempting to ward off..."
Eric nodded and interupted "It has to do with the sudden outbreak of the lesser demons, and tainted isn't it?" Both guards looked at each other then nodded
"Yes." The first guard continued "We desperatly need your skills to take care of the threat that lurks in the streets at night. I'm not allowed to say to much but that the reward for the mission being complete is great and if you are interested to speak with our mayor. But for our Disrespect we ask you talk to him anyway so that we may accommodate you for your stay here with food and board for both your apprientice and yourself." 
Eric smiled "Very well gentlemen I will forgive you personally this time but remember my face and name for next time would you and spread the word. Amongst you guards. I swear this hassling has become a real pain in my side." he demanded the guards nodded "yes sir again, were very sorry!" they said stepping aside. Eric paused "wait how do we get to the town hall?" 
After the guard explained how to get to the town hall they entered the gates with them closing behind Mariah looked around and seeing nobody looking at the two found this to be the best time to alliviate some of her anger that she was having trouble holding back any long. "You insulent scum of the earth worm!" she yelled as ice formed in her hands in the form of a large mallet she then swung it hitting him with it sending him flying into an allyway where she chased after once she saw him laying in a trash heap dazed "I'm going to kill you for forcing me to call you that aweful word and touching me! JUST WHO DO YOU THINK YOU ARE!" she screamed bringing the mallet down on him again and again "I'm going to murder you so much you will die!" the moment she opened the steam valve of her anger it all just poured out. She realized she wasn't making much since but she didn't care she was punnishing this worm before her. She continued slamming the mallet down again and again till suddenly the hammer part shattered and Eric slowly lifted himself to his feet his face showed pain in it which gave Mariah great saticfication and alliviated a bunch of the anger that had built at the gate. She still hadn't forgiven him but atleast at this point she didn't want to kill him yet.
"Feel any better yet Princess?" Eric asked through his pain he had to admit maybe he did go a little overbord with the cover story, but it got them free food and beds and he didn't have to steal to pay for it. "Can we continue on to the mayor now so we can get our food and rooms?" Eric took in a deep breath and winced as pain ripped through his rib cage "d****t i think she broke a few ribs" he thought, He then felt warmness in the palm of his hand where the gem was and as before it traced his blood vessels  wherever the warmness went he felt better. "this is a nifty little thing" he thought to himself as the pain in his chest from the ribs seemed to dissapear. 
Mariah nodded "ya I feel better but your still not forgiven" She said after throwing the broken staff at Eric purpously missing his head my milimeteres  as the ice shattered against the wall behind him she turned her back with her hands on her hips "Just make yourself presentable to the mayor. We will go there first then once we have our rooms I don't want to see you till we have to you understand scum?" she said harshley "Also this doesn't count as you repaying me for the meal that you ruined so your still not forgiven for that either." she held up a finger "Oh and before I forget. Dont ever, ever call me Princess!" she yelled before walking around the corner feeling like she's regained some of her power that she lost being forced to call that man 'Master' she shivered at the thought. "a*s!" she said quietly to herself as she leaned on the wall waiting for Eric to come out of the alleyway.
Eric sighed comming out running his fingers through his golden hair "Not forgiven for what?" he asked stepping out of the allyway brushing the last bit of dust off. he had readjusted his clothing slightly before following the directions the guard had given him "Not that I care or anything. Its just I want to know what you think I did, to get a good thrashing like that. Oh and before you think you can do that any time to take my gem. Know I let it happen" His voice was as cheerfull as ever as he walked with his hands behind his head
His attitude really started to get under her skin as she felt her temper rise again. "what is it with this jerk!" she thought to herself "nobody has been able to piss me off this much yet he seems to do with with no effort at all" she thought, before opening her mouth to speak "Where do I begin! she almost screamed at him. First, there was ruining my delicious meal! Then there was touching me in the forest, then teasing me all the way here then touching me again! THEN! the worst of it all the most unforgivable and the one I will make you suffer slow and painfully over. Making it so i would have to call you that word!"
A smirk crossed Eric's face and had Mariah been beside of him instead of following she would of seen it. "What word? you've said a lot of them. I simply don't know which one I shouldn't make you say." He was going to enjoy teasing the princess while he could, he knew what he was doing was on the border of the line but he enjoyed pushing peoples buttons. Even if that ment him getting hurt as a responce. "Well Princess?
Mariah jabbed him really hard in the kidneys "You know what word! You freaking pest!" she then jabbed him again in the kidneys only on the other side "and Stop calling me that!" Eric stood there in great pain for a few moments before gathering himself and sighed 
"No fun at all." He said stepping infront of the gate of the town hall. Two guards looked at him then to a wanted poster that was posted on the wall next to them then back to Eric. "Hey guys, has word gotten to you yet that we were comming?" he asked with a wave. These guards didn't have a symbol on their armor, this ment these weren't demon hunters. Eric raised an eybrow before he then noticed the wanted poster and swallowed hard "game time" he thought to himself.
He walked over to the wanted poster and looked at it. "So this is the guy who stole that demon's name." He looked as if he was looking really closely at the wanted poster as if he was attempting to take in ever detail. Like the poster would talk to him. "This explains why all the guards stop me as well. Thats just upsetting, He looks just like me." he ripped off the poster from the wall. He didn't like the idea of having his temporary partner in crime finding out his true identy just yet. He faced it to the guards holding it to his face and pointing at the paper. He had positioned himself so that Mariah couldn't see the picture. "Surly you men have heard of the great Chuck Lee, the one who killed the demon in the old battles that decided the fate of the two kingdoms five years ago. Surly you don't assume that his man this. fraud is me do you?"
The guards looked at each other then back to Eric and the poster before nodding. Eric sighed "Again with this. Look I'll stand here one of you two go talk to the guards goes and talks with the main gate guards." He looked over his shoulder and spoke to the Mariah. "Can you believe this Samantha!" the guards shook Their heads. 
"No, No, We're sorry good sir, I remember a message comming forwarning of your arrival. Please forgive us. It's just you look so much like the poster, we mean you no hassle please go right in Mr. Lee." The guards opened the gate and as the two walked past the guards Eric gave the one closest to him a hard look 
"I really am groing tired of all these miss haps, please ensure the other guards on the inside know to stay away from the two of us unless they are needed. We are not the people who are out there at large."
"Y...Yes sir! I will take it up the chain of command!" the guard said. Eric cumpled up the poster and threw it behind him at the guards feet before waving a hand. Upon arriving at the door Eric opened it then with a grin he bowed motioning Mariah to move in with his free hand. "After you Princess." Mariah in responce to clenched her fist and hit him upside the head as she passed "Demon." she uttered back with distaste and scorn in her voice "My pleasure." Eric said standing back up right with a grin on his face.
The two were ushered into the a large empty office as soon as they told their names to the receptionist. The office was filled with many books. These ranged from fantasy books, to auto biographies, and history books on magic, the world, the tainted, and kingdoms current and old. "I think I like this guy." Eric said holding a book about his kingdom "he has pages in this thing highlighted and so many margin notes it's not even funny."
"Oh shut up Eric... put that down before he catches you with it! It's not nice to go through other people's things with out permission!" Mariah had been sitting in the chair across the desk from where the Mayor would sit. Behind his chair was a large window that over looked the city and taking in what would be a beautiful sunset provided it wasn't noon. Eric had been looking around the office running a finger across every one of the book's spin, she guessed as he read the book titles. Her impatientce was slowly starting to boil due to the fact she was use to everthing being instant and the Mayor had them waiting in his office for about thirty minutes now. her mouth dropped as Eric sat in the Mayor's seat and started to spin around. "What the hell are you doing. your not suppose to..." She was interuppted by the door opening and a man clearing his voice.
"I am terribly sorry for the way Chuck, and Sam... I can call you Sam right? I mean Samantha is such a long name in it's own." The man was dressed in a black three peice suit that fit him quite well. His pants seemed as if they didn't have a single speck of white on it as one would of expected from wearing them all day. His shirt and suit top seemed to be almost like they were just put on. Eric stopped spinning in the chair and stood up. His face seemed to be one of seriousness.
"Hello good Mayor, If you really wanted to you can call Samantha here 'Princess'." Mariah shot daggered glares at Eric who refused to look at her "I mean after all doesn't she look so much like the princess." The mayor nodded
"Yes, actually from what I've heard and read in the reports that is why you two were stopped at the gate. Due to the commotion that the two of you have made because of the hiccup of the guards, I would like to extend a stay at the Inn just down the street, Its ran by a good friend of mine who will take good care of you. He will also cook any meal you guys request for him. I've already notify him of you two comming and he agreed to set you up with two seprate rooms. If you only need one then let him know and he will adjust. There is just something I wish to warn you. Never go out after dark. Lately the townspeople have been attacked after dark at random times through the night, ontop of several kidnappings. My friends you have come at a fearsome time. With that if you do have any information about these attacks that will lead into the capture of the attackers then we will reward you with three-hundred thousand sniocs, A million if you can discover how they are moving around with little to no witnesses or find out where their HQ is."
  Eric rose a finger "how do you know its the same person or people and there are multiple people?" 
The mayor stumbled a little "The attacker has been seen by one survivor and said that the attacker seemed to be taking orders from somebody else. The survivor said that the attackers seemed to be using some powers equivilant to the tainted. Since you are recomended so strongly from the king I want to ask if you could stay for a few days to help. we will give you one thousand sniocs for each day you stay and help. as well as free food and board."
Eric put his finger to his thumb as if he was thinking "Hmmm that is very tempting. Make it two and I want it delivered to my room each day placed on my pillow while I'm investigating in the morning."
The mayor seemed to tense before he sighed "very well. I'm sure reason why your price is so high is because it's taking you from your quest the king has put you on. By the way how is your quest for the dangerous theif Eric? I mean I heard he use to be a royal guard till the fall of the previous kingdom. The fact that the princess is missing right now as well. That must be really stressful for you and the king knowing that she could very well be in the hands of that demon. Who knows what he is doing to her at this moment." Eric felt the heat that Mariah had been glaring into him that cooled off while the mayor was talking turn back to him full force. Eric swallowed "I'm going to be hearing about this once we aren't around people" he thought to himself. The mayor chuckled "Well it's not any of my business I was just curious thats all." The mayor smiled as he opened his doors "In anycase I'm sure you and your Apprentice are hungry. so you should go ahead to the Inn, It's called the Queen's keep."
Eric stepped around the desk he didn't like the Mayor everything about him was screaming something that he was hidding something and he was very dangerous. He wanted to call him on this but decided it best not to with the princess here, even though she was going to kill him as soon as she had the chance. "Lets go Samantha." Eric said his voice serious and stern. Mariah stood "lets. Thank you sir." extending her hand to the mayor.
He smiled and shook her hand then kissed it softly "It was a pleasure Princess. Don't worry the guards will be working with you instead of against you for now." He said giving her hand another kiss and a seductive smile. Eric then appeared beside Mariah with his hand streatched outward.
The mayor's smile faded as he let go of Mariah's and gripped Eric's tight. Eric wasn't expecting the grip of the mayor and winced a little before recovering and gripping his hand stronger. "We will be heading now." Eric said and put a hand on Mariah's back forcefully pushing her out of the room. 
Once out of the earshot of the guards Mariah turned on Eric who's face was abnormally for her in the short time to be serious. "What was all that about! Not to mention you are a theif! That's why your hiding from the guards isn't it! Why didn't you tell me!" she was shouting at him but something seemed off.
"I don't like him." Eric said catching Mariah off guard he then shook his head as a smile crept across his face "It doesn't matter It's probably just my mind over thinking things. after all he is a mayor, what can he be hidding." he shook his head not believing his own words. Something was deffiently off about the man but he couldn't put his finger on it. "well lets see if we can milk him for some money before getting out of here. It's obviously to dangerous for you Princess." Eric said expecting to distract her with it.
Mariah sensed something was wrong with Eric but the moment he called her princess clenched her fist anger flashing back into her eyes as she hit him upside the head then she jabbed him in the side "And that second one is for not telling me about you being a theif." she growled
Eric smiled "well you never asked." Eric responded "If you want to know about me Princess then just ask, I am at your service after all." 
"Don't call me that!" Mariah screamed and swung again to her surprise she missed. She looked to where Eric was to find him running off a head "Hey wait up! I'm going to kill you!"
"Come on Mariah, your too slow!" Eric called back as he ran forward weaving through the crowd of locals on the way to the inn once there he stopped and leaned against the door. Mariah was out of breath she wasn't use to running like that "How, dare, you!" she panted taking a breath between each word "better, sleep, with, one, eye, open, tonight!" Eric just laughed and opened the door he was leaning on. "Lets go Mariah you need some food after all."
Inside the room was bright with a mix of skylights and wall mounted candles that were lit. There was tables in the room as soon as they entered through the door at the back end of the room there was a counter inbetween two doors and on the right of the door on the right there was a stair case leading up to the higher floors of the building. "Since you dont want me to touch you. I'm not going to guide you through the room" Eric said gesturing to the numerous people that filled the room, Some looked like they were already drunk and were groping the waitresses that were takeing care of them. "good luck not getting groped" Eric teased as he started walking inbetween two tables. The men of which glanced up at Mariah and grinned.
Mariah squirmed looking both ways. She was use to being on her own but she hated when people like this touched her in any way, even though she hated to admit it she thought Eric an step or two over them. She was still going to pry the truth out of him when she got the chance but for now her biggest task was to get around these perverts. She looked around the room then saw her path, who ever designed the lay out of the room left enough room for plate carts to get to the front and back of the room she smiled and took advantage of that. "Stupid jerk want's to take the hard way." she thought proud of herself. 
Once both got to the back of the room Eric leaned on the counter "Hey mate, Mayor said the owner of this wonderful place was going to provide us with free food and free rooms." Eric said quietly. The man behind the counter had a dark feeling with him but his outward expression was that of a giant teddy bear. He was a big and filled with muscles like he had worked hard all his life and was his own bouncer. His skin was dark toned and he had a tooth pick sticking out of his mouth. He war a white butchers apron which didn't hide his frame really well.  It looked like a normal man was trying to hide a small white tree but failing miserablly at it because the tree was to small. The large man nodded and reached under the counter then placed his large hand on the counter. When the man removed his large hand there were two keys laying on the counter. Eric Picked one up and put it in his pocket after reading the number. Mariah did the same. Eric smiled "Awesome, now how about some grub. I'll take three of your keyturs two of your steaks medium well and whatever else is on your menu that has yummy meat!"
Both the man and Mariah looked at Eric shocked Mariah just shook her head with a sigh "unlike this barbarian all I want is just one stake medium rare please, you may throw on any sides you wish to bring out the flavor" The man nodded then pointed to a table by the stairs before walking into the door on the right. "Are you realy going to eat all that?" she asked as the sat at the table the large man pointed to.
"Just you watch."
"You're an animal you know that."
"Proud of it Princess."
Mariah punched the top of his head "What did I say about calling me that!"
Eric snickered "To constantly call you that no matter how much you object to it."
She hit him again "Wrong! are you really as stupid as you look?"
Eric seem to think this over for a little before holding up one answer "Yes! I am as stupid as I look because I believe I look very smart, Thus I'm negative stupid points in the looks department. This concludes that if I really am as stupid as I look, I'm actually really smart. So thank you!" 
Mariah growled hitting him again "Idiot! Now tell me Mr. Smartass are you really a theif."
Eric's smile and laughter faded upon hearing the question "I guess I should tell you the truth, At least for now. Especially! since you can't do anything about it because moment you go to a guard they will realize your the run away princess and haul you off to your castle before you can utter a single word. thus giving me time to escape. So to answer your question simply, Yes. Yes I am a master theif. The complex answer is not by choice and I only steal to survive. In fact the only thing I've stolen not for survival was the gem I now possess. You see one night the gods sent me a dream expressing that a great darkness was comming to the world, and I need to find the other gems of the elements. such as the one on your chest, And use them to reseal away the demon king. So far all i've found was rumors and you. Back to my gem however. I stole it from a temple, which before you start running for the hills, I've appologized a trillion times to the gods and as punnishment they stuck me with you." Mariah's eye twitched even though she didn't say anything, Eric knew he was going to pay for that comment later. "that was a joke... you know ha, ha, ha. Anyway, Upon my many prayers the gem fused into me. I Have know idea how to wield it even though I think I'm slowly getting the hang of it from our little scuffle in the tavern. You think it and it does what you think. Using your will power as strength. Am I right?"
Mariah nodded and opened her mouth to say something when the door on the left side of the counter swung open and a line of waitresses carring food came out and made their way to the table. Food ended up pilled ontop of each other from what Eric ordered then the single plate Mariah ordered. "thank you!" both of them said to the man as he regained his post behind the counter. He smiled and nodded "Enjoy!" he said finally speaking. His voice was deep and gravely and instilled power, however his demenor looked really realaxed. By the time Mariah looked at Eric from the Inn Keep He was already stuffing his face. The boned remains of the first bird he had ordered laid upturned on the table as Eric had started tearing into the second one. The cooked bird in it's current state looked exactly like a cooked turkey, sekeltal structure and all. "Barbaric!" Mariah said as a since of fear of Eric's tenasity towards the food started to crash over her.
Mariah didn't dare ask any questions and couldn't bring herself to eat. Her shock was just to big as she continued to watch Eric devour plate after plate of food after he had finished his last plate he pointed to hers "You going to eat that?" he asked before smiling a mischevious smile "guess not or else you'd be alittle faster then that." he winked at her as he took her plate out from under her "Hey! That's mine!" she shouted reaching for it Eric quickly put one end of the steak in his mouth as she grabbed the other end with her fork and started to pull.
"You should of eaten it while I was eating. Get another one if you really want to eat that badly!" Eric said though his teeth clenching the steak Not biting all the way through and it not ripping away due to the bone in the center of the steak that he had bitten down on to fight over it. 
"Well! If you weren't so barbaric in your eating and ate like a normal human!" Maraih proclaimed as she pulled. the Fork she had stabbed the stake with rested in the middle she knew if she used any sort of manners in fighting for her food then she would lose so blocked her mind from the fact that what she was doing didn't have any manners she was hungry and she wasn't about to give her food to Eric even if she could get another. A woman had principles after all.
"But I'm anything but normal! he called out, Plus i've probably gone a bit longer then you with out food!"  
"Doesn't matter Jerk it is still mine now let go and give it to me!" She exclaimed. Though all her shock and watching him eat she didn't realize that it had grown dark. Her stomach was screaming at her for food which increased her earge to fight for the food she had. The room was now lit only by the wall mounted candles the pile of plate Eric had stacked up was put on a cart and willed in. Mariah didn't know if the waitress saw them fighting and told the man who she assumed cooked the food but after several minutes of them fighting she returned with one plate of steak just the way Mariah's was before she got distracted with a new set of silverware. The waitress giggled a little as Mariah let go of the meat she had been fighting over suddenly. The force Eric had been putting into to maintain his grip and position in the fight was now against him as he slammed back into the back of his chair and fell to the floor. Mariah using this to her advantage and taking the nice freshly cooked steak started cutting away at her food and eating it quickly, but still with some sort of manners.
Eric rolled around the steak hanging from his mouth as he fixed his chair ripped a peice of meat off and chewed it holding up one finger. After forcing a deep swallow he gasped and then spoke "I want to ask you something... what have you heard about the attacks going around the town?" he asked softly. The patreons who had been watching soon left after the fight started between him and mariah being that they had already finished their foods and was now just watching out of morbid curiosity of how much Eric would put away. The waitress had a solem look go over her face.
"It's all rumors but i've heard several stories. The one that's most common is that It's actually a group of tainted that appear and dissapear every night. They say the group is attacking people and stealing things so they can do a ritual of some kind. Nobody knows how they get in or leave, That's why we've started building walls around the city to try and keep them out. The demon hunters I'm sure you encountered on the way in. They just got here yesterday, and the Mayor refuses to let them in or see them directly for some reason. We don't know what he is thinking but, We have to have trust in him. These attacks have been bad for business, Everybody rushes home before the sun goes down. before that that was when most people would come here and drink. If you're really here to take care of this I Pray you get to the bottom of this fast. I don't know how much longer the business can take it." as soon as she finished a scream broke the night air out side. Eric froze for half a second till the scream vanished he then ripped another peice of meat out of his mouth "stay here!" he said as she jumped out of the chair and ran to the door.
Mariah followed right behind him. Bursting out of the door the two ran down the empty street towards the location the scream came from. Noticing Mariah was right by his side running he spoke "I thought I told you to wait at the inn." Eric said a look of seriousness on his face
"You did but I make my own rules remember. I'm royalty I'm not much for following anybody else's commands."
"I see this. Well prepare yourself for something out of your worst nightmares if you insist on following."
Mariah nodded. Eric knew he couldn't keep her behind and it would only slow him down if he tried. She would learn her lesson one way or another. She will see the reality of violence and maybe then she would listen to him. His thought was more focused on possibly saving whoever screamed anyways. Eric rounded the corner to a well lit allyway and instantly held up a hand for Mariah to stop. "Mariah." he spoke softly. Mariah could tell something was wrong "stay right there. if you feel like your in any danger at all I dont care if it's a false alarm or you see a spider I want you to call for me that instant. I really don't think you want to see this."
Eric stepped into the allyway out of her sight. She was a big girl, she could do what he did, She wasn't weak! But something about his voice, having always as long as she has known him, even though it wasn't too long being always cheerful even in the most dangerous situations for him, the way his voice changed was off putting. "I'm tough" she thought "I can handle whatever he can!" she said in her mind the anxiousness forcing her thoughts to come out in a whisper of defiance as she rounded the corner. The little bit she almost ate Instantly wanted to project itself onto the scene that laid before her.
A head of her Eric was walking towards a complete mess. The walls on both sides of the allyway was painted a crimson red as high as the light would let show her, the same color had sprayed to about where she stood. Eric with his hands in his pockets was standing over chunks of meat and a pile of organs. No body was anywhere around, It looked as if the body had exploded. only leaving a pile of all the organs in the body in a neat pile.
Eric looked into the pile, not touching it but taking count of all the organs he could see, something caught his eye, It was laying just in the shadows beyond the pile of organs and bits of flesh laying everywhere in the allyway even painting the walls. Eric strained his eyes then gasped "there was two." he asked as his eyes focused on two arms one male one female their fingers enterlaced as if they were trying to escape their cruel fate together. he looked around frantically only to see another pile the same way a little ways further into the allyway. "This is serious!" he thought before he looke around frantically to see if the attackers were still near by. His heart beat was pounding, He could hear it in his ears. Thankfully Mariah wasn't getting the full picture of what he was seeing and just the little he saw when turned the corner as bad as it was. What he saw was worse and troubled him to the bone. Each pile was missing their hearts, he didn't have to examine the other as closely as he did the first to know this being that it was in the exact same way. He heard pebbles fall behind him from the rooftop instantly causing him to look up in time to see a shadow cross roof tops above him. His instincts took over at that point. Danger was still in the area and he couldn't let anything happen to Mariah, even if she didn't want his help and he destested her blood line, and even though he was no longer a knight. She was still a princess and she was still on his watch. He drew his blade as he ran out of the allyway He didn't stop his sprint as he scooped Mariah up over his shoulder. "I'm sorry for this." He said as he ran "However I need to get you out of danger."
Mariah opened her mouth to protest, however when she looked up to somewhat face him the best she could while over his shoulder she saw them. They were moving rather swiftly across the rooftops and the road on both sides of the street, there had to be atleast six of them. Each one had a diffrent humanlike figure, the only diffrence is their eyes were glowing a blood red. She felt the aura they were giving off being something of evil. "were these the dark side of these tainted I've heard so much about. Is this what they mean by demons in human flesh. Does that mean when they called Eric a demon they said he was worse then these!" Were the thoughts racing the Mariah's head as the figures seemed to be getting closer and closer. Mariah can now make out enough detail to tell that three of these figures one of the roof, one in the middle of the street, and one othe other side of the street in the sidewalk were of woman nature, their ages were middle aged to young teen, the yungest being on the roof top. The other three were men of diffrent statures, One was almost as muscley as the guard she made her break from. Memories of him temporarily rushed through her mind as she took in the sight of the man. However he had more muscles then the innkeep, she noticed forcing herself to focus. one had a simualar build to Eric, Had some muscles but was easily hid and werent to big, Was slender but with an athletic build, She was sure he would be just as attractive in the day time. "what the hell am I thinking... Gross this scum carring me attractive! I think i'm really going to lose my dinner!" she thought geting distracted again however a jostle as Eric Jumped to the side to dodge a dark ball of energy brought her back to the situation. The one that looked like Eric was the one that had thrown the ball of dark energy he was behind them on the sidewalk, the musclehead was on the other side woman running in the middle of the street. The one on the roof tops on the other side she couldn't get a good look at.
Eric turned into the Inn slamming the door shut just as another dark energy ball flew past them. With the door shut Eric instinctively slammed his palm against the door and said "gods allow a barrier of fire to form around this building protecting me and everybody inside of it!" No sooner did he say that did the candles go out sending the room into complete and utter darkness. Glowing illuminated starting at the door then surrounding the entire building. Mariah who had be somewhat tossed in from the jump into the building Picked herself up off the ground and rushed beside Eric placing a hand over his. "let my Ice powers protect me and everybody inside this building" she said focusing all her energy into putting up her side of the elemental barrier. It was an advanced yet basic move that she was taught at the beginning of her own training with the ice gem. Her mentor at the time had trained her to use her will power to bend Elements to her will. After both felt secure they turned and pressed their backs against the door and slumped to the floor at the same time. "You seem to be a natural for hardly knowing anything about using the gems." She said quietly, The room was empty she assumed after the two had left the waitress and Innkeep locked themselves up somewhere being they figured nobody else would come in who hasn't already had a room. A sign saying "ring for service" was posted with an arrow pointing to a bell.
Eric chuckled "I guess so. That was just a prayer for protection. I wasn't expecting the gem to react. Why I put the Gem to the door I don't know. Instincts I guess."
Mariah chuckled and softly hit him "I'll punish you tomorrow when there is no danger for picking me up like that."
"Deal!" Eric said with a chuckle "we can discuss what we saw tomorrow as well... I want to stay and get to the bottom of it... You can go on if you wish"
"And let you get all the glory! I think not! Mr. Chuck Lee." She teased
"Oh can it Princess!" Eric said with a smile on his face
"I'll punish you for that tomorrow as well." she said punching him in the arm "Don't think were buddy buddy because of this. Our motives just seem to be mutual right now."
"I was about to say the same to you." Eric said lifting himself off the ground "I don't feel the danger anymore I think they moved on." he said stretching and yawning. "I'm going to bed. You should get some rest to."
Mariah picked herself off the ground "Agreed, You better be awaiting your punishment tomorrow." her voice was stern. She did have some anger to it, however the fact of the matter is if he wasn't there she was sure she would be just like what she saw in the alleyway. The images flooded her memory of the alleyway and she shivered. She had made her way to her room which was right next to Eric's she took her bow off from around her back and her quiver and sword off and laid them next to her bed before drifting off into thought "What the hell happened in that alleyway anyways?" she asked herself as she laid down on her bed. Her eyes closed and sleep consumed her with quickly.


© 2016 darkkid1000


Author's Note

darkkid1000
please ignore grammar and misspellings these will be fixed at a later date

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

124 Views
Added on January 8, 2016
Last Updated on January 8, 2016
Tags: Darkness, arrival, new, town, something, wrong


Author

darkkid1000
darkkid1000

West Valley City, UT



About
I'm married. My wife and I are working on a story where she is going to draw a manga. Of course she would say the story is good. Even with grammatical Errors. I know i'm not that good with gramatics, .. more..

Writing
Pro-log Lore Pro-log Lore

A Chapter by darkkid1000


Chapter 1 Chapter 1

A Chapter by darkkid1000


Chapter 2 Chapter 2

A Chapter by darkkid1000