Chapter Three

Chapter Three

A Chapter by ~ Stefanie ~
"

The third chapter in my book Nothing Is Ever By Accident

"

Chapter 3

 

            “Daddy! Daddy!” little Maria bounced into the living room, full of joy. “Look what I drew.”

            Maria held up her drawing of what looked to be a big, brown horse. Chase picked Maria up and sat her down on his lap. Her blue eyes were sparkling with happiness. “What do ya think daddy? Isn’t my horsey bewtiful?”

            “It is bewtiful hunny,” Chase imitated her word pronunciation. “It’s the most bewtiful horsey I’ve ever seen.”

            Maria giggled, “Daddy you’re silly.” She gave him a tiny peck on the cheek and ran into the kitchen to hang her drawing up on the refrigerator.

            Maria had new drawings all the time and their fridge would fill up real quick throughout the week. Chase and Shelly would remove them occasionally and put them away in a box up in storage. They decided on Maria’s 18th birthday they were going to give her the box so she could see all of her artwork growing up from her childhood.

            Chase looked through the doorway leading into their kitchen. Maria was chattering away to Shelly, as she was making dinner, telling her all about the horsey she drew and what the horsey liked to do.

Maria was an angel. Chase loved her more than he could even express. Shelly and he were blessed to have the sweetest little girl on earth as their very own.

            His chocolate lab, Brownie, lay down at his feet and yawned. Chase reached down and scratched his ears as the smell of dinner cooking wafted in from the kitchen.

*****

            Ryan grabbed his car keys off the kitchen counter and glanced down at his watch. He had to be at Calvin’s in an hour, plenty of time to get there for his date if he left now. He admired himself in the mirror by the door. Purple dress shirt and khaki slacks; he looked good for a last minute, blind date set-up. He walked out to his car and started the engine. Ding! His gas light lit up, bright red. Guess I should stop and fill up with gas first, Ryan mumbled. He backed out of his driveway and headed down the street to the local gas station. He pulled up to the last empty pump and walked inside to pay.

            Ryan approached the counter and greeted the older woman working at the register. “I’d like to put twenty bucks in pump four please.” Ryan handed over his twenty and walked back out to his car.

            There was a chilly breeze blowing as he stood with the pump in his hand. He pulled his sweatshirt a little tighter around his neck with his free hand.

            Click…

            The gas was finished pumping. He put the nozzle back on the holder and shut the gas tank lid. Turning left out of the parking lot, he headed down to Calvin’s for his date with Janelle.

*****

            Calvin’s was a small, family-owned restaurant on the outskirts of New York City. Ryan enjoyed the place because it was quieter and more relaxed than the busy, upscale restaurants in the heart of New York. Also, no one could beat Calvin’s prime rib. Ryan had never eaten anything better.

            He opened the front door and a little bell clinked for the announcement of his arrival. A hostess came up and greeted him, “Good evening and welcome to Calvin’s. Is it just you this evening?” she said with a warm smile. Her blond hair was pulled back tightly into a ponytail.

            “No, I’m actually meeting someone here. There should be a reservation under the name of Tait.”

            She looked down at her computer screen and typed in his name. “Oh yes, we have you right here. The other half of your party has not arrived yet but I can take you to your seat awhile.”

            Ryan followed her towards the back of the restaurant to a secluded booth. She handed him a menu and said she’d bring the rest of his party back when they arrived.

            “Thank you,” Ryan nodded towards her.

            He browsed through the menu and read the descriptions of their appetizers. He wasn’t sure if he would be hungry enough for one, but maybe Janelle would like to share one. Ryan was a few minutes early, which gave him some time to think. Hopefully this girl was better than the last one his mom had set him up with, maybe someone with a fun personality and some common interests with him.

            About five minutes later a tall, curly-haired, brunette, with laser green eyes walked up to his table. “Hi, I’m Janelle. I’m assuming you’re the famous Ryan Tait my mother talks about?”

            Ryan was hooked on her right away. She possessed such beauty and grace and had an air of confidence about her and he liked that a lot. “Well yes, my name is Ryan, but I wouldn’t call myself famous, more like just your Average Joe.” Ryan took all of her in, everything from her gorgeous eyes, luminescent smile, and silky tan. This was a girl he could see himself with for sure. He just hoped her personality was as beautiful as she was.

            Janelle took her seat in the booth and picked up her menu.

            “So what’s good here?” as she scanned through her menu. “I’m sad to say that I have never eaten here before.”

            “Well, if you’re a big meat eater, like I am, I’d recommend their prime rib. It is by far the best in the city.”

            “Sounds pretty appetizing to me. I’ll give it a try,” she smiled sweetly at him.

            Wow, Ryan thought to himself. He couldn’t take his eyes off her… not even to look down at his menu.

            Casual banter and conversation filled their time together as they both enjoyed their entrees. Ryan was really beginning to think his mom had hit the jackpot on this girl.

            Janelle looked stunning, laughed at all of his corny jokes, wasn’t afraid to give her opinion about something and they connected with each other so easily. Ryan genuinely liked this one-of-a-kind girl and was pretty ecstatic to see where this could lead.

            “You were totally right about this prime rib, Ryan. It is definitely the best meat I have ever had,” she dabbed at the corner of her mouth with her napkin. “So, tell me about your career. I’ve told you all I can about mine.”

            Janelle was a journalist, working for the New York Times. She was very active within her career and was completely dedicated to finding the latest, greatest new story.

            Janelle waved her hand, indicating Ryan to tell her about his career.

            “It could take me a little while,” Ryan told her.

            “We’ve got all night,” Janelle remarked and leaned back into the booth, ready to listen.

            Ryan adjusted his position and began his story. Janelle was so easy to talk to it amazed him. He was never this open with anyone, other than Chase, whom he confided everything in.

            He began telling her how he had joined the police force two years ago and how vigorous the training had been. Never in his life had he been that exhausted like he was during those couple weeks of training. He told her stories about some of the calls he had been on through his career and some funny jokes from the break room. The whole time Janelle sat, listening intently, and drawn into every word he spoke. Ryan felt good about having someone like this to talk to.

            “What made you decide to join up with the NYPD?” Janelle inquired.

            “Well my father was an officer and had retired after 40 years of service. I always admired what he did and I viewed him as a hero, my hero and New York’s hero. Since I was little, I have always wanted to be like him. So I worked hard and now here I am, following in my father’s footsteps. I serve people everyday no matter what the cost." Ryan grinned.

            “Wow, that’s pretty amazing,” Janelle’s eyes shone with admiration. “I really appreciate what you do. Day in and day out you risk your life for complete strangers and that, to me, is very honorable.”

            “Thank you. I’m glad to see that there are people out there who appreciate what I do on a daily basis. Some people just don’t care at all.”

            “I know and it’s so sad.” Janelle reached for his hand and nodded her sympathy. When her hand touched his it felt like a tiny electric shock had pulsed through his body. He squeezed her hand gently and pulled away, wondering if she had felt it too.

            By ten o’clock, both of them had decided that they better get going, because both of them had an early day the next day.

            Janelle jotted down her number and handed it to Ryan, “This is in case you would like to get together again without either of our mother’s meddling.”

            “I’ll be sure to call you soon,” Ryan took the piece of paper and placed it into his sweatshirt pocket.

            They walked to their cars and said their goodbyes. Ryan took one last glance at her before he pulled away. He smiled the whole drive home. Mom finally got it right this time, he whispered to himself.

*****

            The dishes were washed and put away and Maria was tucked soundly into bed for the night. It was just him and Shelly, cuddled up on the couch in front of the fireplace. This was his favorite time of day.

            “I’ve had something to tell you all day, but I wanted to wait until now to say it,” Shelly said.

            Chase brushed a loose strand of blond hair from her forehead and waited for her to explain. “What is it sweetheart?”

            An infectious smile illuminated her face, “I’m pregnant. I found out this morning.”

            Chase jumped up off the couch in pure excitement. They had been trying for two years now to have a second child and things were looking a little unpromising. He kissed her soundly on the lips and smiled as he told her how happy he was. Nothing could compare to the joy of welcoming a new little life into their family.



© 2012 ~ Stefanie ~


Author's Note

~ Stefanie ~
I finally got the third chapter written and posted! The holidays were really busy for me and it was hard to find time to write. I hope you enjoy! Thank you in advance for reading and reviewing! I appreciate it a lot :)

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

i really enjoy the simplicity of this story. It is just another normal day which you described prefectly. A great write!

Posted 12 Years Ago


This was a really good chapter. I feel like the story is starting to pick up speed and we're getting a chance to get to know the characters through their actions. One thing about writing books that I've always found important is making every scene count by having something in each scene move the story forward. I definitely felt the forward movement with the date and Chase finding out he was having another child, but I wasn't sure how the first two scenes moved the story forward. It may come around to connect later but just something to think about. I'm enjoying the story and looking forward to seeing how and when Jamie comes into play.

Posted 12 Years Ago


wonderful...but I cant help thinking Jamie and Ryan got to come together somewhere, coz I liked her more than Janelle :)

Posted 12 Years Ago


A very nice chapter. I like the description of people and the attitude of the characters in the story. A excellent chapter.
Coyote

Posted 12 Years Ago


this is really good :)

Posted 12 Years Ago


Maria is so adorable! :3 I love her already! :D

I agree with A.L. Allen about Janelle though. She does seem personable and confident, and I like that. But, yes, I'm still hoping that, somehow, Jamie and Ryan will find their lives connected in someway... perhaps he could save her from some burning building or something... or Janelle is taking a total turn, found someone else or something... haha ;D Oh my word, I'm so excited to find out what happens next!

I love your descriptions of people-- like describing Janelle, and then you let us in on more of why Ryan had chosen his profession. The only part there that caught me a tad off guard was when he said, "'So I worked hard and now here I am, following in my father's footsteps and he's proud of me." Ryan grinned.'

Somehow, I felt that he was being just a little too boastful. Of course, he deserves the boasting for what he's done, but perhaps, better, if he'd be more... more humble about his job-- doing it for the people, not for the honor.

Like where he said, "I'm glad to see that there are people out there who appreciate what I do on a daily basis."

I'm not sure, I just felt different about the whole thing. Just my opinion, though. :)

Just one more minor part... the ending. I loved how you had started it..everything seemed relaxed and quiet, as she told him she was pregnant. Somehow, I imagined her saying it softly, happily... and then I felt the moment of happiness broken when Chase stood up and started doing his "little dance."

They're both minor parts, and nothing too major to worry about. That's my opinion and mine only. There's probably some that think otherwise...

Anyway, though, I did love this chapter-- it was sweet, heartfelt, and I felt my own tingles when Janelle touched his hand. ;) You have vivid descriptions and your play out your emotions well... there's just some areas that need a little working on, that's all.

This is probably my favorite chapter so far-- though I have enjoyed the all of them! Can't wait to see what happens next :)

Posted 12 Years Ago


nice love how your not stopping and ending the book like I did

Posted 12 Years Ago


Aww, I absolutely love this chapter! Maria is such a doll, and she instantly captured my heart. :) That's so cool that Chase is going to have another son or daughter. :D

I'm not sure how much I like this Janelle person. She seems really cool and all that, but I'm still vying for Ryan and Jamie to get together. ;)

Once again, an amazing chapter! Keep me posted for when you add more! :)

Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

300 Views
8 Reviews
Rating
Added on January 13, 2012
Last Updated on January 14, 2012


Author

~ Stefanie ~
~ Stefanie ~

Dreamland, DE



About
Hi, my name is stefanie :) I enjoy writing even though at times I feel like I am not very good at it. But I put my heart into everything I do so I think that makes up for it :) I really enjoy sport.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Chapter Four Chapter Four

A Chapter by ~ Stefanie ~


Surrounded Surrounded

A Chapter by Alex Vidmar