Book Two Chapter Three: Warning

Book Two Chapter Three: Warning

A Chapter by Ryan Henderson
"

On his walk, Nick explores the underwater cave that he once swam at as a kid. Inside, he finds something that re-incites his adventure with Saja...

"


Chapter Three Warning:


“Kaleen, I am going to go for a walk. I won’t hunt, I promise.” I said.


Kaleen smiled and nodded.


“Okay, good. I will talk to you tomorrow night.” Kaleen said.


“Okay, that sounds good.” I told her.


With that, I climbed down the fire escape ladder and found myself in the alley that the fire escape ladder led down to. I walked out onto the street. I looked around. No one was out this late. I walked through the neighbourhood that I used to know. I saw the school that I used to go to, I saw the familiar downtown area that I was in, I saw everything. It made me wish for my human life back. I decided to walk a little longer down memory lane.


I had an idea of where I could go to next. I walked out of the downtown area and walked a little on the main road. Realizing where I was, I saw a small, unmarked dirt road that branched off from the main road. I took a right and turned onto the dirt road. The dirt road led through a forest for a short time, and then the forest scenery faded away to small undergrowth, and soon enough, I was surrounded by famer’s fields. I walked a little longer. In another minute or two, I found myself standing on a rock that was around thirty feet high. This was the place. This was the cliff that I enjoyed swimming at as a kid. I looked down over the edge of the cliff and I saw the dark, deep water below. The cliff housed a small cave underneath the cliff, beneath the water's surface. My parents once told me that the cave’s formation was due to erosion in the nineteen fifties. I had only ever been in there once, only for a few seconds. It was nothing special, just a small cave. It was only big enough for a few people at a time, and it was almost always full. I decided to go in there again, just for old times’ sake. I stepped backwards, took a running start and jumped into the lake. I dove down to the bottom of the lake and found the opening to the cave with ease. It was pretty hard to miss, seeing as it was a dark opening in the cliff’s underwater face. I swam towards the opening and I was now in the mouth cave. I broke out of the water and stumbled into the interior of the cave. I looked around, taking in the familiar scenery. It was pretty dark, but my vampire eyes were made to see in the dark, and my gaze could penetrate the veil of darkness with ease. I looked around some more. The next thing I saw was much to my horror. I found a man! He was very pale, but not because he was a vampire, because of blood loss. I ran over. I could tell that this man was dead. How long had he been dead? This man must have been a murder victim. Could Saja have killed him? On his neck, I found two fang marks. They did not look very fresh, but they did not look too old, either. Some unknown impulse told me to touch the man. I reached my hand out instinctively, as if I was hypnotized to do so. The second I touched him, I had the vision again. The vision that I had in back Tigiti's tomb on Ectoclis. The one where Tigiti told me that I was the Chosen One.


            I knew what that meant; this man was Tigiti. There was not a doubt in my mind. On the wall next to him, there was a scrawl of text, written in his own blood. I read the text in horror;


Have you seen this vampire?


Roams this world she was created.


Though she was defeated she shall rise again.


Watching Nick from a distant shore,


She'll come back stronger than before.


When the darkness comes she will strike for sure.


In the fog is where she waits,


Even up to these present dates.


Chosen beware she will never die.


Chosen beware she will never die.


I began to panic. I couldn't believe it. Saja will be back? But how? Was this text outdated? Was it true? Saja was killed in the Hemlon explosion... Or was she? Just then I heard something in the water behind me. I looked back and saw something that made me want to cry. In the water behind me, looking drained of any and all energy she had left was Saja herself. Anger raged through me. She must have killed Tigiti!


“Saja!” I shouted in anger.


I launched myself at her but she dodged. It wasn't even a dodge. She really just threw herself to the side then collapsed. She was paler than ever before. She propped herself up on her side on shaky arms.


“How are you still alive?” I asked in shock.


"Nick... Please..." Saja's voice came and went with the strength of a delicate breeze.


I was confused. My confusion allowed Saja to live. Saja then fell down onto the ground, face first. I walked over and turned her onto her back.


"Wake up. Wake up." I muttered.


Her eyes opened a slit each.


"I am not here... for vengeance..." She struggled.


"I have come... for your... help." She sputtered.


Confusion shot through me. What? Whatever Saja wanted my help for and came at this loss of strength was worth hearing. I wonder, what had done this to her?


"Nick...please." Saja gasped.


"Yes, I will hear you out. Speak." I said.


Saja placed her hand on my arm.


"Alright... alright." She agreed.


Her crimson eyes flashed, though not with bloodlust, with a tear. Saja spoke with a little more strength than before.


"That letter Luna found buried on Artemis. It was me. Tigiti has been dead for a year here." her voice cracked.


"What happened to you?" I asked.


I couldn't believe it, but I felt sorry for her.


"That is what I need your help with." She said, reaching out to me.


"I was... Summoning spirits for a... Spell, to make me stronger, faster and smarter...  But it went horribly wrong. The... Spirits... Took control, but created another me... It nearly finished me off... but I got away. I have come to warn you... Leave me here. Go save your world..." Saja gasped.


Saja was willing to risk her own life in order for me to save the world from… Another her? Her story seemed a little farfetched, but it was the only explanation on how she was still alive after the Hemlon explosion. I didn't even believe nor do I know why I did this, but I helped her. Maybe it was the need for more answers, maybe it was because I was too weak to kill Saja when she was too weak to fight back, or maybe it was because I was still humane. Nevertheless, I helped her, and it cannot be undone. I hoisted Saja over my shoulder, she was heavy. I swam out of the cave and up to the surface of the lake. I scaled the hill that led down to the lake next to the cliff and walked down the dirt road that took me hear. I used vampire speed and carried Saja back to my house. I was dripping wet. I walked onto my street just as the sun peeked over the horizon. When I walked to the door and opened it to step through, Kaleen saw me.


“Nick! What in the… How is she still alive?!” Kaleen shouted, baffled at the sight of Saja.


“Kaleen, allow me to explain, please.” I urged.


"Nick, you know what evil Saja is capable of. Do you really think that saving her will not have a hefty price? I should stake her right here, and right now!" Kaleen yelled, glaring at Saja.


I decided to ease Kaleen's anger before she decided to hurt someone.


"She came to me, she is weak, she can barely walk and she said that she came to warn us." I explained.


"About what?" asked Kaleen.


I went in depth, figuring Kaleen would want to hear the whole story.


"She was doing magic, she wanted a spell to make her faster and stronger and smarter, but she lost control and the spirits created another her. One that's more powerful, stronger, smarter and faster." I said.


“That sounds like a load of crap.” Kaleen said when I was done.


“It very well could be, but it is the only explanation that we have on how Saja is still alive.” I said.


When I was done, Kaleen gaped at me. She went inside and I followed her.


“We should check the news. If Saja came to you this weak, she must have known that you might have tried to kill her. Maybe there are killings nearby?” Kaleen asked.


Kaleen went to the T.V and flipped on the news. Sure enough, a few kilometers from here there were killings. Saja probably killed a few people and drank their blood in an attempt to get her strength up, knowing I may have tried to kill her.


"We need to keep her alive. We need her help." I told Kaleen.


"Nick, I know that it is for the best but I don’t think that I can control myself if I hear her voice again. She stole my mortality away from me. I need to go away from here so I won’t be tempted to kill Saja while I can." Kaleen said.


“That’s smart. Do you promise not to tell the vampire council about Saja being alive? We need this to be kept a secret, otherwise the vampire council will come and kill Saja and we will lose all information on this ‘new Saja’ that her spell created.” I said.


“Yes, I promise not to tell the vampire council.” Kaleen said.


“Thank you.” I said with a smile.


“I will come back in a few days, when I can control myself. See you soon!” Kaleen said.


With that, exited the house. She grabbed a parasol that was near my door. She opened the parasol so as to block the sunlight. She opened the door, walked outside and shut the door behind her.


***




© 2015 Ryan Henderson


Author's Note

Ryan Henderson
The third chapter is here! Please tell me what you think!

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

OH! So much suspense! I love this chapter! Lots of detail and writing power! keep writing!

Posted 9 Years Ago


A strong chapter. I like the use of Saja. She keep the story going forward and create good twist. I like the detail description of place and location. Making the reader vision the place and struggle. A good ending to the chapter. Left the reader with the need to know more. Thank you for sharing the excellent chapter.
Coyote

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 9 Years Ago


Ryan Henderson

9 Years Ago

Thank you for telling me what you think! I had to admit, when I wrote it, I was a little stuck on th.. read more
Coyote Poetry

9 Years Ago

You are welcome.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

389 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on October 13, 2014
Last Updated on March 18, 2015
Tags: Action, Humor, Original, vampires, teen, Fantasy, Suspense, Vampire, Sequel


Author

Ryan Henderson
Ryan Henderson

Cobourg, Ontario, Canada



About
I will review your work if you send me a read request, I like to help writers get off of the ground, I will also suggest ideas for your work if needed. Please note that I don't really like poetry... more..

Writing