Book One Chapter Twenty Five: Kai's Imprisonment

Book One Chapter Twenty Five: Kai's Imprisonment

A Chapter by Ryan Henderson
"

A piece of this chapter is written from Kai's perspective. This piece reveals something about Luna that is still humane...

"


Chapter Twenty Five Kai’s Imprisonment:


Hemlon, Artemis. Kai’s Point of View.


Kai was shackled to a metal table. Under it burned an inferno of flames and ashes. Kai was bare-backed and was being burned every waking moment. A door opened across the room from him. Saja and Luna entered, glaring at him.


“Kai, have you made your decision?” asked Saja.


“I will never join you! I have told you that!” Kai shouted through pain-clenched teeth.


Saja nodded to Luna. Luna went over to the forge that controlled the heat underneath Kai's table and pumped the contraption to increase the heat. Kai growled in pain.


“And now what is your decision?” asked Saja.


“No.” Kai growled, clenching his teeth harder.


“Luna. Watch him while I’m gone, I have to hunt.” Saja walked back through the door that she and Luna entered through. The door slammed shut and Luna turned to Kai.


“Okay, Luna. I want some answers!” Kai growled.


“What answers do you desire, Kai?” Luna asked innocently.


“How did you do what you did when you knocked me unconscious? How did you control fire and lightning?” Asked Kai.


“I told you before, I used magic. I am sorry about it, though. I was only doing what Saja asked me.” Luna said.


“Is this another one of your tricks? To gain my trust and betray me just like you did to Nick back in Libel?” Kai asked in anger.


“No. It is no trick at all. I know what I did was wrong, and I am having second thoughts about joining Saja.” Luna said.


“Yes, I am sure you are.” Kai said sarcastically.


“How do you do that?” Luna asked, changing the subject.


“Do what?” answered Kai, still through clenched teeth.


“This, the pain.” She said, motioning to his table. 


Kai thought for a moment, choosing his words carefully.


“I know that I am not going to escape. But I also know that not in a million years will I join Saja.” Kai said.


“That is brave of you.” Luna told him.


“I could… relieve you of your pain, just for a minute.” Luna said.


Kai looked over to her.


“What?” He asked in surprise.


“Saja taught me a little magic, and-“


Kai cut her off.


“That explains what that girl did in the woods…” Kai said.


He was recalling the time that they had killed the vampire named Brutus when they first arrived on Artemis, and how the vampire woman had thrown fireballs at Kai and the others.


Luna held out her hand over Kai’s chest. She closed her eyes to concentrate. A green glow softly emerged from underneath Kai. Kai’s pain then faded slowly until it eventually became nonexistent.


“Wow that is amazing. I feel no pain.” Kai said in awe.


Kai then looked at her.


"What is the catch?" He asked.


Luna opened her ice blue eyes.


"What do you mean?" She asked.


"You are allies with Saja, who is evil, if you are allies with Saja, are you not evil, too?" Kai did not know a simpler way to put it.


Luna bowed her head.


"Like I told you before, I have been thinking. Whenever I am around Saja, I get a bad feeling, I think I made a mistake joining Saja." She said.


"No kidding." Kai remarked.


"I do not know what to do, if I join Nick, Saja will kill me. I know that I made the wrong decision to join Saja, I want to help save a world, not destroy it." Luna said.


Kai considered this. Could Luna be lying?


"I think you are wise to have realized your mistake, but I think you should trust Nick, he is the Chosen One, and after all, he will set the world on the path to peace and prosperity." Said Kai.


Now it was Luna's turn to consider.


"Are you sure that Nick will take me back?" Asked Luna.


Kai shrugged in his position on the metal table.


"I do not think he will accept you right away, you will need to prove to him that you can be trusted, after all, he is not very fond of you since your betrayal on Ectoclis." Kai told her.


"I am not very fond of myself for that, either. I have been Saja's advisor for a year or so now, and I just want to go back to good, and not evil." Luna said, shaking her head.


"It is not too late, you know." Kai told her, giving her hope.


"I suppose it is not." Luna thoughtfully said.


Kai was impressed with Luna’s emotions, but were they sincere? Did she really feel remorse for her treachery? Or was she playing mind games?


***


 


Genyek’s Cabin, Artemis. Nick’s Point of view.


“Well, we have to get to Hemlon.” I started out.


I gave a brief recap of what happened with Saja from the beginning to Genyek.


“Hmm, very interesting. Saja sounds ruthless.” Said Genyek.


“She is.” Chimed in Anna-Maria.


“She does sound ruthless and dangerous. It has been a long time since my fighting days. I would really like to aid you in your battle, however I cannot help you.” Genyek stated.


WHAT?” screamed Anna-Maria


“Little girl, stay out of this.” Genyek told Anna-Maria.


LITTLE GIRL!?” Anna-Maria screamed, her voice wavering in anger.


“Calm down.” Federov said, placing a hand on her shoulder.


“No, you don’t tell me to calm down.” Anna-Maria said to Federov.


She turned to Genyek.


“These people, they have lost more than you would ever know, and have been through even more than that. And we did not come all of this way for a flying machine just so some lazy, shallow old man could tell us otherwise, am I clear?” Anna-Maria said this while staring right at Genyek.


Everyone was stunned. We could not believe that Anna-Maria had just made an outburst like that.


Genyek made what was possibly the angriest face I had ever seen.


“Get out. I will not help you, I said so already.” Genyek told Anna-Maria.


“As for you." Genyek said, pointing to Federov.


Genyek then reached behind him and pulled a stake from a small harness on his back that I had not noticed before. When he was facing us directly, it was impossible to see. Quicker than I would have thought humanly possible, Genyek drove it into Federov. He hit Federov's left side with the stake, just next to his heart, would Federov live? I didn't think so. My eyes were wide. Not another death. Not so soon.


“How come you had a stake, we haven’t seen any vampires this far in the region.” I told Genyek.


“I do not know what you’re talking about.” Genyek said.


“The stake in your hand, you knew! Didn’t you?” I yelled at Genyek.


“Of course I did not.” Genyek said quickly.


Liar!” I shouted.


I unsheathed my sword, sprinted across the space that separated us and caught him on the jaw with the hilt with my sword. He was knocked against a wall, and a bookcase fell on him. I lifted it up and off of him, and I kneeled down to him.


“You killed him, you killed your own nephew." I stated.


"He could not have resisted his self-control; he would have turned on you, me and your friends!” Genyek said defensively.


“Vampires are unpredictable, they must be killed immediately! There is no telling what they will do! Show them a little blood and they go mad!” Yelled Genyek.


“How did you know he had self-control?” I said angrily.


Genyek stammered, but didn't say anything.


“I knew it! You are a liar!” I yelled.


With that I lifted my sword and cut him in the right side of his neck all the way down to the hip. I pierced his wind pipe, so he died instantly. What a shame. As soon as it dawned on me what I did. I was no different than Saja, I was a killer. I wondered: was what I did the right thing to do?


Federov then walked up to me and put a hand on my shoulder. As if to answer my thought he spoke to me.


“You did the right thing, he tried to kill me, his hatred of vampires would have gotten him killed in a much more gruesome way, and you did him a favor. He was a dead man anyway, alone in the woods with vampires around." Federov told me.


I was surprised, my theory of him living through being stabbed by the stake was based upon naive hope, not facts!


“But… he staked you! How…?” I stammered.


“The old man did not stake me through the heart.” He said with a grin.


I looked back at the corpse of Genyek. I felt guilty, despite what Federov had told me. There was blood coming from his cut. Blood…


“Federov, we have to get out of here!” I said.


“Why?” He started to say, but he then caught my gaze.


“Right then, everyone, the blood will attract some vampires, we have to clear out.” Federov said.


That sentence dawned on me, reminded me. Let’s clear out. Is what Kai had said back at Saja’s fortress, when he had rescued us from being sucked up by the portal to Artemis. Kai was probably being held in Hemlon as of yet. I walked out of Genyek’s cabin. My friends followed me and we started moving out of the forest. We walked a good kilometer or so without speaking.


“I think we should set up camp here. I know we recently rested at the inn, but I think a little sleep will be good for us after what just happened.” Fenton suggested.


“I think that is a good idea.” Anna-Maria agreed.


“Alright. You should go get the firewood.” Fenton told Anna-Maria.


“Why do you not get the firewood this time?” Asked Anna-Maria.


Fenton laughed.


“Because I am not a girl!” He said playfully.


Anna-Maria laughed and started chasing Fenton into the woods.


I liked Anna-Maria. She kept things light and was pretty funny. She and Fenton were back in a few minutes. Each of them had an armful of firewood. With that wood, we soon got a fire going. It was almost dusk. Then I remembered Federov and how he needed to hunt tonight. As if on cue, Federov got up.


“I must hunt.” He declared.


With that, he disappeared into the dark surrounding forest. I turned my attention to the fire. I held out the object I found on the boat. The purple markings on the side were glowing faintly. At an interval of a few seconds they would pulse. I put the thing in my pocket. What was this thing? Why did the vampire who killed Serena want it so badly? Did Saja want it? Was she looking for it? I thought about talking to my friends, but what was there to talk about? They wouldn’t know what this thing is, they said so themselves. I started a conversation anyway.


“Fenton.” I began.


“Yes?” He asked, looking to me.


“I have been meaning to ask you, how did you get all your medical knowledge?” I asked him.


“I have a book, my grandfather gave it to my father, and my father gave it to me." Fenton told me.


I continued on.


“Because I was wondering, when this is all over, you could visit my home world. You could make a decent living off of being a doctor.” I said.


I knew the thought was sort of insane, but hey, I was just making conversation.


He pondered this thoughtfully. He was going to say something, but just then I heard a sound in the woods. It was moving towards us quickly. Federov came bolting out of the bush, blood dripped from his mouth, a sign of an unfinished meal.


“Saja!” He panted.


He doubled over and caught his breath.


“Is here!” He finished.


A second later, Saja leapt out of the forest, summersaulted into me, and knocked me over.


The object fell out of my pocket.


“So you do have it!” Saja exclaimed.


“What is this thing, anyway?” I asked her.


“It is something very important. You were very foolish to hide it from me, Nick.” Saja said.


We both lunged for the strange object and we both grabbed it at the same time. I pulled it and she did the same. Just then she showed her fangs and pushed my way, I flinched and she wrenched the thing free of my grasp. Federov fired 3 shots out of his revolver at Saja. Saja then jumped out of the way and the bullets hit the tree behind her. I grabbed my sword from its normal place of my belt and swung it at Saja. She drew her own sword from her belt. We started fighting. Her sword was more of a scimitar style. It was a katana slightly curved at the end. The handle was purple and the outer rim of the blade was a dark grey. And the interior of the metal was jet black. I wonder why Saja needs a new sword almost every time we fight. She swung at me and I blocked her.


 


She then kicked me in the gut and I reeled back. Saja started laughing.


“Do not let me past your guard so easily!” She taunted.


She then struck my stomach with the tip of her sword, which I left carelessly exposed again. Pain flared in my stomach where she had hit me with her sword. I jumped back with a cry of pain and readied my sword for another blow that was sure to come.


“You did it again.” Saja stated.


I swiped at her, but she quickly dodged out of the way.


“Please improve! Your lack of skill is embarrassing.” Saja taunted again.


I ignored her comment. I couldn’t let her get to me. I saw her thrust her sword at me and I parried it. I stabbed at her left side. My sword connected with her and she gasped, clutching where I had hit her.


“Take that!” I shouted.


“Nick, she has not fed! She saw me when I was feeding, she must have come down for blood!” Said Federov from behind me.


I took that in. Saja was weak, I could use that to my advantage. Saja sliced my forearm. Pain appeared in my forearm and I was forced to drop my sword. The battle had only lasted a few seconds so far, and my friends had joined the fray, coming to my aid. Saja was more skilled since our fight in her village before she opened the portal to Artemis. Saja seemed riled up at the sight and scent of my blood. She then bolted forward, knocked me to the ground.


“Get off of me, Saja!” I yelled, trying to throw her off.


It was no use. She pushed my head to the side and sank her fangs into my neck. The twin needle points of pain appeared. I felt the pressure of her bite becoming more and more powerful. The bite became more and more painful as she bit down harder on my neck. I could feel Saja’s fangs inside my neck, and I could feel her lower teeth starting to sink into my skin. I could feel blood trickling down the side of my neck. I yelled in pain as the force of Saja’s bite increased even more. I tried to throw her off of me, but she was too strong! I tried to reach my sword with my foot before my body was sucked clean of blood. I could feel my blood being pulled away by Saja, the sound of Saja drinking my blood reached my ears. I could feel my head becoming cloudy and I could feel my thoughts becoming slow and incoherent. I almost reached my sword, but the weakness of Saja’s bite hit in an instant. I fell limp, unable to move. Federov came to my aid and smacked Saja in the back of the head with his steel wrench and she reeled backwards, losing her balance and falling off of me. I dropped to the ground, propped up against the tree that Saja had pinned me against. Every time my heart reached a beat the edges of my vision blurred. I heard a scream. It was Federov! Concern soaked through me like water through a towel but I could not find the strength to get up. I figured that Federov could take care of himself, but I remembered the blood on his mouth, he had not finished feeding. I used that knowledge to try to move. I felt as though I was paralyzed. I could feel the ability to move, it just wasn’t within reach when I needed it. It felt like my inner self was trying to move, but couldn't get past my outer self. I could feel myself slipping away. I hoped my friends would drive Saja off. I must have been bleeding a lot because I could feel I was going to go under. I heard a few gunshots, and a lot of footsteps. I heard concerned cries and I heard my name being called. I then fell into darkness.


***


 


I woke up in a daze. Trees everywhere were knocked over and the grass was trampled. The fire that we made camp around looked like it had been out for quite some time. How long had I been unconscious?  


“Are you awake yet?” Asked an unfamiliar voice.


I turned to the source and saw a girl. She was blonde with green eyes, not as light as Saja’s hair but it was a darker shade. She had bandages wrapped around her hands, but not because they were injured. I could tell they were for fighting because they looked like they allowed a lot of movement. She was a very slim girl; she wore a hiking pack and simple pants. She looked strong enough to handle herself against even vampires; she had a whip coiled at her left side.


“Where are the others?” I asked finally.


“Well, your vamp is out hunting, the blonde one made off with your black box thing, and the rest are scouting the area to make sure we don’t run into any of them on the way.” Her voice was rough and a little hoarse.


I looked at her closer.


“Them?” I asked.


“The vamps, the bloodsuckers, whatever you call 'em.” She said.


I looked at her whip. It was not made out of animal hide. It looked like coiled tree bark. I noticed that at the tip there was a silver blade about three inches long.


“I am Carmella, by the way.” The girl said.


She reached out her hand. I shook it.


“My name is Nick.” I said.


Carmella had a firm grip, and a series of calluses riddled her fingers and palm. She was a little taller than me. I estimated I was about five foot eleven, so she was over six feet tall.


“How did you see all that? Our box being stolen and where everyone is?” I asked.


“I saw the whole thing, but when things started looking desperate, well, I had to help.” Carmella said.


Then Fenton came through the bush behind me.


“Nick, you are awake! I am so sorry; there was nothing I could do, the bite Saja delivered to you was not fatal, so we thought that you would be alright.” He said.


I was surprised that the bite was not fatal, it had sure hurt like it would be fatal. I brought my hand up to feel the bite mark. It was still tender and soft, but it was not bleeding. It hurt when I touched it, but when I touched it I felt the two fang marks as well as the lower teeth marks.


“How long have I been out?” I asked.


“You have slept for a few hours.” Fenton replied.


A few hours! Worry filled my mind, what was Saja up to now? I wondered.


“What happened?” I asked.


“Saja cut you on your arm, which bled a lot. She then bit you and you could not move. Then you passed out." Fenton explained.


"Gather everyone else, we are moving out.” I said.


Fenton nodded.


“Right.” He said.


“So are you like, the leader here or something?” asked Carmella.


I shook my head.


“No, no one is the leader here.” I told Carmella.


“But do you not need a leader to plan and organize things?” Asked Carmella.


“Well, I suppose, but as of yet no one is the leader. All though, I think the others may think of me as their leader. The thought has not crossed my mind.” I told her.


“So where are you all headed?” Asked Carmella.


“We are going to Hemlon. We have important business there.” I told Carmella.


“Business? What business would a group of travelers have in a Cansodin?” Asked Carmella.


I frowned at her.


“There is more to us than what meets the eye. There are two noblewomen looking for my capture in Hemlon. My group and I have had trouble with those two women in the past, and they want to kill us. We are going to go up there and kill them before they do the same to us. The two noblewomen have also captured one of my friends. We are also travelling to Hemlon to free him.” I told Carmella.


“Well, you are in good company. I am wanted by multiple people myself. Us outlaws need to stick together, no?” Asked Carmella.


“I suppose so. Would you like to journey with us?” I asked her.


“That sounds like a fine idea.” Carmella said with a grin.


“Great, we are looking for more trustworthy people.” I told her.


“Has someone betrayed you before or something?” Asked Carmella.


Fenton then emerged again from the forest with everyone else in tow.


“That is another story for another time. Let us move out.” I said.


We all departed the battle scene.


“Everyone, meet Carmella. She will be travelling with us.” I told the group.


Everyone in the group greeted her and introduced themselves.


“You seem like an alright group.” Carmella said after the introductions were finished.


There was a moment of silence, it was Anna-Maria who broke it.


“How will we get a flying machine now?” asked Anna-Maria.


“Well, there is a big city that has some brilliant engineers. The city is called Sven and is not very far from here. About a day’s journey.” Said Federov.


Carmella shook her head.


"Ah, I've been there, I owe some of those blokes down at the casino some money, as long as they don't see me, I am fine." She said.


“Let us go then.” I told them.


We walked down the hillsides. I looked back and I could just faintly see Hemlon. I thought of Saja’s face. And of Luna’s betrayal.


"So what is your story? I think that there is more to the story you told me back there." Carmella said.


I looked to her, her voice shocked me out of my nostalgic thoughts.


"Well, I was captured by that blonde vampire, Saja, she wanted to know where Tigiti was and who the Chosen One was, she held me captive and interrogated me, she also tortured me with her vampire bites. I escaped after a while, I found a few rebels, a few died before I met up with these guys, although Fenton here has been with me since the beginning,"


I gestured to Fenton, he nodded.


"Ever since then, we've been battling Saja, trying to stop her from achieving her sinister goals." I told her, I left out the multiple worlds bit, and she probably wouldn't have believed that.


As we walked down the hillside and came to the bottom, I saw a square entrance that looked like a temple entrance. It was a square stone doorway that was made of stone that led into the hillside. It went into the hillside to our right.


“Should we go in?” I asked.


"Yes, but we should be careful." Said Carmella, readying her whip.


I stepped in carefully. It was very warm in the cavern. At the back I saw two torches on either side of an inscription scrawled in the stone. It read:


Chosen One, by his honor is sworn, to keep evil forever at bay. Tigiti know, to age long ago, and the tale, boldly told of the one, who Tigiti chose to succeed him, with a power to rival the sun. When man wage war on vampire, treachery and death unfurled, Saja’s true power unbound, with a hunger to swallow the world. But a day shall arise, when Saja’s power dies, man will be free forever and on, and the fair universe shall be free from Saja’s maw.


“Nick, are you the chosen one?” asked Carmella.


“Yes, he is. We had a little run in with Saja in Tigiti’s tomb. Nick had a vision saying he was the chosen one.” Said Fenton.


“Look, over here!” said Anna-Maria.


I looked over to her and she was holding a yellow object that sparkled off the torchlight. It was shaped like a lopsided star.


“The Essence of Life!” exclaimed Fenton.


“What are you going on about?” I asked.


“There is a legend, it tells of a powerful entity called the White Reqrium. He had an item called the Essence of Life. But when the vampires rose up against the White Reqrium, he feared they would get their hands on the Essence of Life, so we went to his balcony, and cast the shards into an unknown location, I guess we found the realm where they all landed, from what I know, there were 12 shards he cast out.” Said Carmella.


“So you have heard of the legend of the Essence of Life?” Asked Fenton.


“Has not everyone?” Carmella asked.


“This entity, the White Reqrium, I have a feeling that the White Reqrium and Tigiti are somehow connected.” I said.


“Here, Nick. You should carry this.” Anna-Maria said, handing me the shard.


“Thank you.” I said, taking the shard into my hands.


It had almost no weight to it, what was it made out of? I put the shard in my pocket.


“We should probably leave now. We don’t know who else could be looking for these shards.” Said Carmella.


We walked out of the dark cave. The sun had just past the halfway mark in the sky. We walked through more forest, then there was just open plains and rolling hills for kilometers. Something seemed out of place here. It was strange. It seemed eerie.


We walked through another forest and we passed more ponds scattered across the forest floor. I thought of the assassins that attacked us a while ago. We walked and walked. I asked Federov how much longer we had when the sun began to sink into the horizon.


“We are here.” He said.


We then came out upon a big city. It was bigger than the massive walled city that Luna had taken Kai in.


“So this is Sven,” I said.


I saw cars, I mean not like any cars I have ever seen, they were like the oldest models of cars that I had ever seen, possibly older.


“Wait, you have cars here?” I asked in amazement.


Carmella eyed me strangely.


“Of course we do! Where are you from anyway?” Asked Carmella.


“I am from very, very far away.” I said.


I looked at the cars. We started walking towards the city of Sven.


“What year is it?” I asked in awe.


“The year is nineteen thirty.” Carmella explained, still eyeing me strangely.


“Wait, I must sneak into the city alone.” Federov said.


“Why is that?” I asked, confused.


“Because the guards do not allow vampires in the city, although most of the gangster in Sven are vampires. Anyway, I will meet you just inside the gate.” Federov said.


With that, he turned and bolted, disappearing from sight.


We came to the main gate of the city of Sven. There was a huge wall around it. A few guards were posted at the gate. They all wore metal armor, they all looked to be about thirty years old and they all carried silver tipped spears. Each guard also wore a mask.


“Halt!” Called out one of the guards, a tall, muscular guy.


We did as we were told.


“What business do you have here in Sven?” Asked one of the other guards, a short but burly man.


“Hey! You cannot ask people that! It is a new order passed down from President Anderson. He is trying to encourage trust between him and his citizens.” One of the other guards told the short, burly guard.


“Oh, right. Well, we will need to inspect your eyes.” Said the short, burly guard.


The guard walked to me.


“Say, boy. I know you from somewhere. A drawing or something. You face definitely looks familiar.” The guard said.


“I just have one of those faces.” I told the guard.


This had happened back at the other city. I think it was because Saja had put up wanted posters of me. That would explain the part about the guards recognizing me from drawings.


“Alright then.” The guard said.


I let out a silent sigh of relief. The guard did not arrest my friends and I. We had been lucky so far, but our luck will not hold forever. We had to be more careful.


The short guard inspected the others’ eyes. He soon finished.


“They are all clear. Open the gate.” The short, burly guard told his comrades.


With a clanking of metal and the sound of a wheel revolving, the front gate opened up to let us enter Sven.


“Enjoy the city!” Called one of the guards.


“Thank you, we will.” Carmella said.


We walked through the gate. It closed behind us. Inside the gate, we saw Federov.


“Hello again.” Federov said.


“Hello.” I said with a grin.


It was smart of Federov to sneak inside the city.




© 2015 Ryan Henderson


Author's Note

Ryan Henderson
Please tell me what you think :)

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

335 Views
Added on December 26, 2014
Last Updated on February 11, 2015
Tags: Vampire, Vampires, Fantasy, Fiction, Original

Book One: A Hero's Journey


Author

Ryan Henderson
Ryan Henderson

Cobourg, Ontario, Canada



About
I will review your work if you send me a read request, I like to help writers get off of the ground, I will also suggest ideas for your work if needed. Please note that I don't really like poetry... more..

Writing