Alcingeria Chapter Nineteen: Answers

Alcingeria Chapter Nineteen: Answers

A Chapter by Ryan Henderson
"

The Scorpions confront the two men and get some much needed answers from them.

"

Chapter Nineteen Answers:

            “How are we going to do this?” I asked.

            “We need to get some answers. It’s pure luck that we saw them here. We can’t pass up a chance like this. We need to ask them about what was in that burlap sack.” Don said.

            “Agreed. Move through the crowd and blend in as best you can. We need to get close to those men.” Robert said.

Robert turned around to see that the two men were still in sight.

            “Alright lads. We must move.” Robert said.

Robert began walking casually through the crowd towards the two men. The others and I followed his lead. We wove our way through the crowd. The crowd wasn’t very dense so it was no trouble at all. We approached the two men.

            “Excuse me lads, but I have a few questions for you.” Don said.

The two men snapped around. Their faces acquired looks of confusion. In about two seconds the confusion faded to recognition. In another second they turned around and bolted.

            “Quick lads, after them!” Robert shouted.

I sprang forward and was sprinting after the two men before Robert even gave the order to pursue them. The two men were sprinting even harder than I was and they were speeding out of sight.

            “Wait! We just want to talk!” Don called after them.

            “There is no where they can hide! It’s broad daylight. Don’t lose sight of them!” Robert called.

I could hear Macalister wheezing. He’s a strong man, but he isn’t cut out for athletics. After a few more wheezes from Macalister he began to fall behind.

            “I’ll… wait for you all here then!” Macalister said, panting.

I looked back and saw that he was doubled over in the street. The few people that were around us were staring. I turned my attention back to my front. I saw that the two men were getting away and I sped up. I ran past staring strangers at full speed.

            “What are they doing?” Cried a man.

            “What’s going on?” Cried a woman.

I saw that the two men were starting to slow down a little. They were getting tired and so was I. I looked to my left and right and saw that Don and Robert were still with me. The two men ran to the left and ran into an alleyway.

            “We have them now!” Robert shouted.

I looked ahead into the alleyway. I ran in after the two men. The two men didn’t slow down. They were going to run right into that stone wall at the end! I ran after them, suspecting that they were up to something.

            “What are they doing?” don yelled.

We got our answer moments later. When the two men were a few feet from the wall when they jumped and used their momentum to their advantage. They pressed off against the wall while we were still chasing them. They flew over our heads and landed on the ground behind us. They turned around and faced us. Our backs were now to the wall. Just like the tables had turned. Now I got a look at them that was better than the look I got at them last night in the gloomy, dark forest.

The shorter man had an unshaven, weather-beaten face with brown eyes and short, wavy black hair that didn’t come down past his ears. He had a strong build but he looked small compared to his friend. He looked to be about forty or fifty years old. It was hard to tell.

The taller man had blond hair that came down to his shoulders. He had blue eyes and a clean shaven face. He was just slightly taller than his friend and he looked a lot stronger than him. This man looked to be around forty.

            “What do you want from us?” The shorter man asked nervously.

            “What was in that bag in the forest last night?” Don asked without any sign of fear in his voice.

Upon Don mentioning the bag, the shorter man reached under brown leather coat and withdrew a flintlock pistol.

            “Take it easy!” I said, my heart leapt upon seeing his gun.

I had my own flintlock in my pocket. I needed to wait until he was distracted so I could pull it out without being shot by this man first.

            “What’s your interest in that bag, boy?” Asked the shorter man.

Don raised his hands to the sky.

            “I was only curious. After all, you threatened to shoot us over the contents of that bag.” Don explained.

            “Aye, and I shall make my threats true if you continue to mention that bag!” The shorter man said threateningly.

            “All I want to know is what was in that bag!” Don said.

            “The same goes for me. Just tell us what was in the bag!” Robert said.

I don’t know what made me say this. Maybe it was the heat and pressure of the moment mixed with my curiosity, or if I just wanted to ask the question to get it over with, but the words came out of my mouth unstoppably.

            “Was it a fairy?” I asked.

The two men looked at each other. There was a moment of stunned silence. The two men spoke at the same time, but they said two different things.

            “A fairy? Have you lost your mind?” The shorter man said.

            “How did you know?” The taller man said at the exact same time.

The short man’s gaze snapped to the taller man.

            “You bloody clod! Queen Yuka will hang us both if word got out that there were fairies in existence!” The shorter man shouted.

He said the word ‘fairies’ in a quieter voice, as there were listeners nearby, but they remained out of sight.

            “You mean that it was a fairy?” Don asked.

The shorter man sighed and put his flintlock back under his coat.

            “Yes. Fairies exist. Queen Yuka is using the fairies for something.” The shorter man said.

            “What does she need them for?” I asked.

            “She won’t tell anyone except those who are within her inner circle.” The shorter man replied.

The taller man stayed silent.

            “Do you know what Queen Yuka does to dangerous criminals?” Asked the shorter man.

I nodded.

            “Yes. She uses vampires to catch criminals who are too dangerous for humans to catch.” I said.

The shorter man nodded.

            “It looks like you’re aware of her little secret then. My friend and I already know of the existence of vampires and we know that King Bunsen, King Lucias and King Desmond all use vampires to hunt dangerous criminals like Queen Yuka does.” The shorter man said.

            “What are your names?” Robert asked.

The shorter man shrugged.

            “My name is Ceberus Cole and my friend’s name is William Tansey.” The shorter man said.

            “Hello.” William said.

Just then, I heard footsteps coming into the alley. I turned to see Macalister run into the alley.

            “Are these men friendly?” Macalister asked.

            “Yes. This is Ceberus and William. It was a fairy that they had in their bag last night.” Robert said.

            “What are your names?” William asked.

Robert shuffled his feet uncomfortably.

            “With all due respect Ceberus, it’s not a good idea to reveal our names.” Robert explained.

            “Come now. Why not? Are you criminals?” William asked.

I looked around nervously.

            “I know the answer to that. They indeed are.” Ceberus said.

I was now confused. How did they know we were criminals?

            “I have seen wanted posters of you lot around Vulrock. You’re The Scorpions. You’re a very dangerous criminal group. I would say too dangerous for humans to catch. Am I correct in saying so?” Ceberus asked.

Robert’s head dropped and his shoulders stooped in defeat.

            “Yes. We’re The Scorpions. You’re also correct in saying that we’re too dangerous for humans to catch. Queen Lucias sent a vampire after us a few days ago. His name was Ignacio and he has a cabin in the forest a few kilometers away from here.” Robert explained.

            “The vampire cabin? You escaped from there? How?” William asked in amazement.

            “We had bargaining leverage over Ignacio. We were able to strike a deal with him to let us go.” I explained.

            “How did you do it?” Ceberus asked.

            “We had acquired fifty thousand dollars and were caught by Ignacio as we attempted to escape with it. He captured us and we gave him the money to get him to spare us.” Don explained.

            “So you bribed one of Barnabas’s vampiric servants? Smart.” Ceberus said.

Don began laughing hysterically.

            “Barnabas! It’s still funny!” Don said.

Ceberus looked to Don.

            “What’s the matter with him?” He asked.

            “If only we knew.” Robert said wittily.

There was a moment of silence.

            “Ceberus and I are on the run from the law as well. We have a group of other men here in Vulrock and we have a bunkhouse within the walls of Riverguard. If you wish we can take you there and get you all some food and water. We could use a few men of your statures if you’re interested in joining us.” William offered.

            “Wait a minute. As kind and generous as your offer is, I have one question for you both.” Don said.

            “What is it?” Asked William.

            “If you two are on the run from the law, why are you working for Queen Yuka?” Don asked.

            “Well, we’re still on the run from the law. You see, Queen Yuka caught us robbing a store here in Riverguard. We were sentenced to a few years in prison. We were also presented with another choice; we would either go to prison for a few years or we could work in Queen Yuka’s court as her servants. Obviously we chose to be her servants. We gained Queen Yuka’s trust over time. William and I are double agents. We take information from Queen Yuka and we report it to our group when we can. William and I were slowly let in on the secret of supernatural beings existing in Alcingeria. So far we know only of vampires and fairies but we’re assuming that all of the stories we heard as children are true.” Ceberus explained.

            “That’s what we’re doing! We’re also assuming that the stories we heard as children are true.” Macalister said.

            “As for your offer, we would love to accompany you back to your bunkhouse. What is your criminal group called?” I asked.

            “We call ourselves The Vipers. I’ll lead you to our bunkhouse.” Ceberus answered.



© 2015 Ryan Henderson


Author's Note

Ryan Henderson
Please tell me what you think!

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Now here are some great developments. The chase was interesting in itself, and I find it humorous to see Macalister isn't athletic enough to keep up in a chase. I actually have a character with a similar trait and it strikes almost double on the amusement because of it.

Once they're in the alley it just got even better. I got the feeling it would be like a confrontation, but you surprised me in having them actually size each other up and come to an understanding. It's really more of an interesting twist, and it's cool to see the Scorpions getting this recognition from another group of outlaws for their reputation.

I also must say Don indeed made me grin right there. He still hasn't let that name go. xD

Posted 9 Years Ago


Ryan Henderson

9 Years Ago

Thanks for the review man! And yes I incorporated the humor of Don cracking up at 'Barnabas' and hav.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

430 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on January 31, 2015
Last Updated on March 16, 2015
Tags: Medieval, Vampire, Vampires, Fiction, Fantasy, Teen, Original

Alcingeria


Author

Ryan Henderson
Ryan Henderson

Cobourg, Ontario, Canada



About
I will review your work if you send me a read request, I like to help writers get off of the ground, I will also suggest ideas for your work if needed. Please note that I don't really like poetry... more..

Writing