Alcingeria Chapter Twenty One: Meeting The Vipers

Alcingeria Chapter Twenty One: Meeting The Vipers

A Chapter by Ryan Henderson
"

The Vipers introduce them to the Scoprions after The Scorpions accepted the over to join them.

"


Chapter Twenty One Meeting The Vipers: Before I knew it I could hear the distant clink! Clink! Of a dinner bell. A few hours had passed since I began working in the fields and I had worked my way across the field collecting ripe crops and weeds. A woman came a few minutes ago and took my ripe crops and weeds and put them in two separate baskets. I saw all of the field workers begin making their ways back to the house for what I assumed to be dinner. It had gotten darker in the last few hours and it was now twilight. The golden sun cast its last hours of light on the land for that day. It would soon be nightfall and judging by what Ceberus said about ‘anyone who is in the field past nightfall usually dies’ I certainly didn’t want to be in the field after dark. I made my way to the house along with the other workers. I spotted Don, Macalister and Robert among the workers. I would see them inside. On the porch of the house I could see Martha ringing a dinner bell. She stopped ringing it when she saw everyone beginning to make their way towards the house.


            “What’s for dinner tonight, Martha?” I heard a Francella ask.


            “Just you wait and see, Francella. You’ll like it. I promise.” Martha said with a sly smile and a wink.


            “I’m sure I’ll.” Francella said with a smile.


            “Oh, Francella you certainly are sweet.” Martha said happily.


            “Good evening, Martha. I simply can’t wait for dinner.” I heard Raymond say.


            “I’m glad you’re so eager to eat. Working in the fields builds an appetite, no?” Martha asked.


            “Indeed it does.” Said Raymond, stepping into the house.


I walked behind the other men and women who were walking to the house. People filed into the house, some asked Martha how she was and what dinner was going to be tonight. She ushered them all inside the house. When all who remained outside were Macalister, Don Robert and I Martha smiled.


            “Oh, the new boys! How did you all like working in the fields?” Martha asked.


            “It was good, nothing too hard. It certainly builds an appetite.” I said, repeating Francella’s words.


            “Go on inside and get yourselves washed up. Dinner will be on the table in just a few minutes.” Martha added with a smile.


I stepped into the house. The other three followed. I walked into the kitchen and found a washbasin filled with water. There was soap on the counter as well. I used the soap and dipped my hands into the water and I scrubbed them until all the dirt was gone. I then walked across the room and found the table that once had cards on it had a few chairs pulled up around it. I saw Raymond, Francella, William and Ceberus as well as a few other men and women that I didn’t know. They were all talking. Martha wasn’t in sight and Macalister, Don and Robert were all washing their hands in the kitchen.


            “Redmond, please sit down!” Ceberus called to me with a smile.


Ceberus offered me an empty chair next to him. There were four empty chairs here. They must be for us, The Scorpions. I grinned and took a seat next to him. There was no food on the table just yet. I assumed that Martha was preparing it somewhere in the house. Macalister, Don and Robert all finished washing their hands and they sat at the other empty chairs next to Ceberus and I. I heard Footsteps behind me. I turned to look to see who it was. It was Martha! She was carrying a steaming silver platter in each hand. They each had a slab of meat as well as some vegetables. She set them on the table.


            “Eat up, boys!” Martha said cheerily.


            “Thank you very much, Martha.” Ceberus said.


Ceberus turned to the rest of the men at the table.


            “She is just the sweetest!” Ceberus said with a smile.


I looked over to Martha, who had taken a seat next to Ceberus on his opposite side and I saw that she was blushing.


            “Oh, come now Martha! No need to be so red in the face!” Teased Francella.


            “Oh stop that you, or no dessert!” Martha jokingly threatened.


The rest of the men and women gasped in mock horror. Francella raised his hands and laughed.


            “Alright, alright I’m sorry!” Francella said while laughing.


The others seated at the table all laughed heartily.


            “Now, now. Eat now, before it gets cold!” Ceberus said.


With that being said all of the men and women seated around the table reached out and cut slabs of meat off of the piece that was on the trays. I reached out and grabbed a fork and knife. I cut a piece of meat off of the slab and I put it on my plate. I reached out and stabbed a few steamed carrots with my fork and put them on my plate. I grabbed the wooden cup of water that was in front of me and I took a few swigs from it, emptying it.


            “My heavens, where are my manners? Ladies and gentlemen I would like you to meet The Scorpions. Lads, why not introduce yourselves?” Ceberus asked.


I stood up.                              


            “Hello everyone. My name is Redmond Bradford.” I said.


            “Come on! Tell us a little about yourself!” Ceberus encouraged.


I smiled and nodded.


            “Alright, well I’m seventeen years old and I was born and raised in the province of Fel. When I was fourteen, a criminal group called Tempest came to my family’s shop and demanded that they receive eighty percent of our profits. Otherwise they would destroy the shop, and our home. They had said that if we told anyone about their crimes, they would kill my family and I. We had no choice but to submit to Tempest and meet their demands. After a few weeks, we had almost no money, and business had been slow for a few days. I resulted to thievery and tried to steal from other stores. I was successful for a while. I stole food, money, water and anything else that I could get my hands on, but one day I was caught and turned in to the law enforcement officers. I was lucky enough to be underestimated because I was so young and I escaped custody before my trial, where I would surely would have been sentenced to death. Shortly after my escape from custody, I fled Fel and entered the surrounding wilderness, never to return again to my home faction. Not long after I left, I stumbled across the three other members of The Scorpions in the woods. They captured me, thinking I was some kind of spy for King Bunsen. As it turns out, they were all wanted men who had escaped custody just before their trials as well. I explained my story and they asked me if I would like to join their criminal group. Seeing as I had nowhere else to go, no money and no food or water, I gladly accepted their offer. Within the Scorpions I’m the master thief. I’m the one who steals the objective because I can do it without being seen.” I explained.


There was a stunned silence.       


            “My, my you have quite the interesting backstory!” Francella said.


I laughed.


            “That I do.” I said, sitting back down into my chair.


            “Who is next?” Asked Ceberus, glancing at Robert Don and Macalister.


Robert stood up. I quickly reached down to my plate and popped a carrot into my mouth. I chewed it carefully and swallowed.


            “My name is Robert Lowell. I’m from the province of Delron. I’m eighteen years old. I’m an only child and my father was an abusive drunkard. He was hated by the local men and women of my home village and I often spent my time at a friend’s house to escape my father. My mother ran off when I was young and has not been heard from since. I founded The Scorpions and these three men and I have been through a lot together. All of our strife and hardship has brought us close together and we trust each other one hundred percent. I’m the leader of The Scorpions and I’m the man with the plan.” Robert said.


            “Well, I’m sorry to hear about your father and mother. It seems as though you had no real family, but you have the next best thing right here!” Ceberus said.


            “Thank you, Ceberus.” Robert said, sitting back down.


I looked down to my plate and eyed the meat. I cut a piece off using my knife and fork and I put it into my mouth. The meat was tender and juicy, cooked to perfection! I swallowed the meat and took another bite.


            “Alright. Which one of you will be next?” Ceberus asked Don and Macalister.


Don rose from his seat.


            “Hello everyone. My name is Donovan Sterling.” He said with a smile that blazed with charisma.


            “Hello, Don.” Almost everyone in the room said in unison.


            “I’m sixteen years old and I grew up in Yutsa. I don’t remember much of my parents. I spent almost no time with them as a kid because they were almost never home. I don’t know why. I had to learn to fend for myself. I learned to take care of myself and I learned to not trust anyone easily. I was the second member of The Scorpions and I learned that I can trust these men with anything. Including my life. I’m The Scorpions’ scout. I give Robert information so he can make plans.” Don said.


He sat back down.


            “That leaves only you, Macalister.” Ceberus said.


Before Macalister stood back up, I cut off another piece of meat off of the one from my plate and put it into my mouth, chewing it and then swallowing it.


Macalister stood up to his intimidating full height. Some of the women in the room sank down in their seats slightly.


            “Hello everyone. I’m Macalister Reese. I have one brother, but I don’t remember his name. I only knew him when I was two years old, and then he went off and joined Queen Yuka’s army when he was eighteen. I’m seventeen and I’m from here in Vulrock. I grew up in Straf. My parents cared for me much and I can’t say anything bad about them. They were good parents. However I disappointed them when I got into some trouble with a bank robbery. I was tricked into doing it by some mean men that I knew from my village. They made off with the money and framed me. I was about to be captured by Queen Yuka’s guards but I overpowered them with my surprising strength. I escaped into the forest and Don and Robert found me. They offered to allow me to join The Scorpions. Within the Scorpions I act as the fighter.” Macalister finished.


            “Don’t worry, Macalister. We’ll protect you from queen Yuka’s guards. We have done the same for some of our men and women in the past.” Ceberus said.


            “Did Queen Yuka’s guards ever catch them?” Macalister asked.


Ceberus scratched his chin.


            “Well no. The vampires have killed most of our men and women, including the ones we were protecting from queen Yuka’s guards.” Ceberus said.


            “Ceberus, may we introduce ourselves?” Asked a woman.


            “Yes, yes go ahead.” Ceberus said.


The woman who asked if they could introduce themselves stood up. I ate another carrot before she began speaking.


            “Hello. My name is Stella Hannigan. I won’t bore you with my past, but I’m sixteen and a new member of the Vipers. I’m the infiltrator. I get into where we want to steal from stealthily and I collect information from the inhabitants that could help achieve our objective. I’m not much of a thief, but sneaking past people is my specialty. My alias is Widow, because I’m just like a widow spider; I can be in the room, listening in on your conversation and you would have no idea I’m there.” Stella said with a grin.


Stella had long blonde hair that came down to her shoulder blades and blue eyes. She was taller than me, but shorter than Macalister. She was slim and didn’t look very muscular. I could tell that she wasn’t much of a fighter. Her skin tone was a light color. A dark shade of white. She wore a white tunic with white pants. The tunic was short sleeved, showing off her flawless dark white skin, and the pants were long. The tunic had a high leather collar, presumably to ward off vampire attacks to the neck. She was also wearing simple white leather slip on shoes that came up to her ankles.


Stella sat down and Francella stood up. I looked down to my plate and ate the remainder of my meat.


            “My name is Francella Tanner. I too won’t bore you with my past. I haven’t been with The Vipers for very long. I’m seventeen years old and I’m the runner. This means that if there is an area in a heist where speed is key, I’m the man for the job. I’m no fighter but I can outrun anyone. My alias is Sprint because… Well you can guess why.” Francella said.


Francella had deep brown hair, hazel eyes and his skin tone was pasty white. He was also about my height. I noticed this when he greeted me in the field before dinner. He was wearing a simple brown tunic similar to the design of Stella’s white one. His was also short sleeved and it had the high leather collar. His pants were also brown and he was wearing simple brown lace up leather boots that came up to his calves.


Francella sat down and Raymond stood up.


            “Hello all. My name is Raymond Marley. I prefer not to share my… past with anyone. I’ll keep this introduction short. There isn’t really much to tell about me. I’m nineteen years old and I don’t help out on the heists, I don’t have the required skills. Instead I merely stay here and tend the fields while everyone is out doing the fun stuff.” Raymond said.


Raymond was a dark skinned man who was almost as tall as Macalister. He fell short a few inches but he looked just as muscular. He had dark brown eyes and he had black hair. He was wearing a red tunic with the high leather collar and red pants. He was wearing red leather slip on shoes that came up to his ankles.


Raymond sat down. A woman stood up.


            “Hello. My name is Erin McDowell. I’m sixteen years old and I have been with The Vipers for a few years now. I help out whenever I can, which isn’t often. I’m a language enthusiast. I have devoted my life to languages. I find them fascinating. I can speak, read and write numerous languages including ancient languages. Whenever I can’t help on heists I stay and tend the fields. On the rare occasion where I do take part in a heist, which usually involves translating text off of an object such as a vase to determine its value based on how old the language is, my alias is Cipher, because I can decipher languages that no one else can.” Erin said.


Erin had short, black hair and brown eyes. Her facial features were smooth and round. You could see the curves of her cheekbones quite clearly. Her eyes had a spark of intelligence to them like I had never seen before. Erin was wearing a dark green tunic with the high leather collar. Her tunic had sleeves. She had green pants and calf high green lace up boots.


            “Why is your alias not Decipher?” Don asked.


            “Because Cipher sounds cooler.” Erin replied with a grin.


Ceberus cleared his throat.


            “Well, now you have met everyone. You already know about William and I and about how we’re espionages for the group.” Ceberus said.


            “What about Martha? What does she do?” I asked.


Martha looked to me.


            “Well, I don’t help out on heists. I only tend the fields and prepare meals for everyone else.” Martha explained.


I nodded, taking in the information. I then realized that everyone had given their ages except for William, Ceberus and Martha.


            “How old are you, Martha and William?” I asked.


            “I’m forty seven.” Ceberus answered.


            “I’m forty three.” William answered.


            “I’m forty seven as well.” Martha replied.


I nodded while looking down to my plate and finishing off my vegetables.  I could see that most people at the table were finishing their meal.


            “So, what’s the purpose of The Vipers?” Don asked out of curiosity.


            “I’m glad you asked. You see, I first formed The Vipers with a few of my friends. We had gotten into some trouble with the law, you see and we wanted to start a little group. It wasn’t meant to be serious at first, just a group for us to belong to. Everyone who I founded the group with was killed recently by vampires. Although Erin has been with us for quite some time. I continue to manage this group because in a way, it’s all that I have left of my friends who were killed by vampires. I accept criminals who are on the run from the law because they remind me of how my friends and I were when we were your age. This group now stands as a sanctuary for criminals on the run from the law. It gives them a fighting chance against those law enforcement officers. Together we can accomplish anything. We must stick together no matter what. That includes the fact that no matter how many supernatural creatures prove to be existent in Alcingeria, we’ll always stick together.” Ceberus explained.


I sat back in my chair. That certainly was a sad, yet grand tale.


            “I’m sorry for your friends.” I said.


Ceberus nodded sadly.


            “Thank you.” He said.


Martha began rubbing his shoulder, bearing a concerned look.


            “Well, I think that this would be a good time to head to your bunks. We’ll be seeing you all bright and early in the fields.” Martha said.


Francella rose from his seat.


            “I agree, Martha. Thank you so much for dinner. It was delicious.” He said.


            “Oh, thank you Francella. Good night.” Martha said.


            “Thank you for dinner Martha. Good night.” Raymond said.


            “Sleep well, Raymond.” Martha replied.


            “I’m going to sleep. Dinner was a treat. Thank you!” Stella said sweetly.


            “It’s no trouble, Stella. Sweet dreams.” Martha said.


            “Martha, dinner was delectable. Thank you so much! Good night.” Erin said in a sincere and kind tone.


            “Any time, dear. Good night.” Martha replied.


Everyone who had bid Martha good night now headed to their bunks across the house. That left only Ceberus, Martha, William, Don, Robert, Macalister and I at the table.


            “I think that we’re going to turn in as well. Dinner was certainly tasty, Martha.” Robert said.


            “Thank you. You all can feel free to take any unoccupied bunk over there. A lot of them are free due to the recent deaths of The Vipers members.” Martha replied.


            “Thank you. Dinner was incredible.” Don said.


            “Thank you, Don. Good night.” Martha said.


            “Martha, Dinner was very good. I’ll see you in the morning.” Macalister said.


            “Good night, Macalister.” Martha replied.


            “Thank you for dinner, Martha. It truly was a delight.” I said.


Martha smiled.


            “Why, thank you. Have a nice sleep.” Martha replied.


With that, we all followed the direction that the others went to the bunks.




© 2015 Ryan Henderson


Author's Note

Ryan Henderson
Please tell me what you think!

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Very nice chapter, the Vipers are seeming like a great group for the Scorpions to become part of and just a group that should be able to go far with their help because of how they have a strong bond and purpose. I really do like hearing all the Scorpions' stories as well, although I feel like there's a bit of pruning to do on them.

Just my own suggestion, but I feel a bit like as the one starting first, Redmond might seem more natural to show a bit more hesitation at first, maybe with a line like "Well, where to begin?"

Also, Erin is an interesting addition. I really like that you're using Cipher as her alias, it's a cool word and while I've seen it used before I still feel as though it's a bit underrated. It's fitting for her character and role as well. I actually have one character that was just introduced who uses abilities with "Cipher Lock" as a static part of the spell wording.

Posted 9 Years Ago


Ryan Henderson

9 Years Ago

Thank you for the review! The pruning the story will come later when I am finished, just so I don't .. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

476 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on January 31, 2015
Last Updated on March 16, 2015
Tags: Medieval, Vampire, Vampires, Fiction, Fantasy, Teen, Original

Alcingeria


Author

Ryan Henderson
Ryan Henderson

Cobourg, Ontario, Canada



About
I will review your work if you send me a read request, I like to help writers get off of the ground, I will also suggest ideas for your work if needed. Please note that I don't really like poetry... more..

Writing