Alcingeria Chapter Twenty Eight: Dinner Guest

Alcingeria Chapter Twenty Eight: Dinner Guest

A Chapter by Ryan Henderson
"

During dinner, a guest shows up. Who could it possibly be?

"


Chapter Twenty Eight Dinner Guest:


Saturday June 26th 1690


We all raised our hands in response to Martha’s question.


            “Good, because I prepared dinner while you all were gone.” Martha said with a sly smile as she disappeared into the back room.


All us boys went to the kitchen to wash our hands. When we were finished, Martha came out momentarily with a steaming tray of meat and vegetables. We sat down at the table. The table was already set. Martha set the tray of food on the table and sat down with us. Everyone reached forward and took a chunk of meat and some vegetables for themselves. I served myself and bit into the meat. I recognized the taste as boar. This must have been leftovers from the boars Ceberus and I shot. I scooped some vegetables up and shoveled them into my mouth with my spoon. I took a swig of water from the cup in front of me.


            “Thanks a lot, Martha. Dinner is good tonight!” Francella said.


            “I second that.” Raymond mumbled through a mouthful of boar meat.


            “You’re welcome, boys.” Martha said.


I ate the rest of my boar and I finished my vegetables. I ended the meal with a swig of water from my cup.


            “Hey who wants to see a trick?” Tabatha asked.


Macalister raised his hand.


            “Of course you do, Macalister.” Tabatha said with a chuckle.


I smiled in anticipation of what it might be. It was always something with Tabatha.


            “A trick?” Don asked.


            “Please, show us.” Robert said.


Tabatha pointed her finger at her cup full of water, angled her finger upwards and the cup levitated a few feet off the table. She shot a mischievous look to Don along with a sly smile. She pointed her finger at Don and the water cup levitated over his head. Don looked up in fear. Just then, something about Tabatha changed. Her eyes acquired a slight flicker of doubt. She then levitated the cup back down to the table. Tabatha looked at Don, still sporting a sly smile.


            “Just kidding. I’m not that mean.” She said.


Don exhaled in relief. I think that those two are actually capable of getting along now.


            “Oh, look! Tabatha has a heart!” Robert exclaimed in feigned shock.


            “Unless you wanna get soaked, I think you oughta keep your mouth shut, pal.” Said a familiar, high pitched voice.


Walden then floated out from behind Tabatha’s chair.


            “Walden!” I exclaimed.


I liked Walden. As annoying as he seemed at first, he’s pretty cool.


            “Miss me already, bud?” Walden asked with a smug grin.


            “Well, maybe a little.” I said with a laugh.


            “Ha, good to hear.” Walden chuckled.


Martha bore a look of slight annoyance.


            “Walden, why did you come back?” She asked, attempting in vein to sound polite.


            “Well ya see madam, I was goin’ back to the forest, but I saw a vampire. Scared the daylights outta me, it did, so I high tailed it back here where I’d be safe. That’s alright, isn’t it?” Walden asked.


Martha’s eyes went wide in surprise. She forced herself not to scowl. I had the feeling that she wasn’t fond of Walden. I could tell that Martha was fighting back the urge to say something.


            “Ah, come on Martha! If you let me stay here we can all be best friends for a night! Whaddya say?” Walden asked, leaning in towards Martha.


            “Please Martha? Can we keep him?” Don asked jokingly.


Walden snapped around to face Don.


            “I aint some kinda dog ya found on the street!” Walden exploded.


            “It’s getting mad.” Macalister said, pointing a finger to Walden.


            “I aint an ‘it’, I’m a ‘he’!” Walden objected angrily.


            “Okay, I’m sorry.” Macalister said, bowing his head.


            “Hey, no hard feelings, Mac.” Walden said.


There was a moment of silence. Eventually, Martha chuckled.


            “Alright, alright. You can stay, Walden.” She said.


Walden flew over and hugged Martha as best he could. His short arms and tiny body didn’t really allow him to wrap his arms fully around her.


            “Thank you very much, mademoiselle.” Walden said with a bow.


He turned towards the table. His eyes fell on the food.


            “Boar, huh? I uh… I love boar.” Walden said, slowly inching his way to the meat.


            “Well, what are you waiting for? Have a seat.” Tabatha said, pulling up a spare chair and placing it next to her.


Walden smiled and flew over. He sat on the chair. His chin was resting on the table because he was short, but he made do.


            “Thanks, Tabatha.” Walden said.


Tabatha smiled.


            “No problem.” She said.


Walden reached out and used manipulation magic to levitate a small piece of boar meat onto his plate. Tabatha regarded him with an impressed expression.


            “Impressive. Of course, I’m better though.” Tabatha said with a playful yet challenging tone.


Walden took a bite of his boar meat and looked slowly to Tabatha.


            “Is that a challenge?” He asked.


Tabatha giggled.


            “I suppose it is.” She said.


            “You thinkin’ what I’m thinkin’?” Walden asked.


Tabatha glared at him, a smile cracked her lips.


            “Magic contest?” She asked.


Walden returned a smile of his own.


            “Yeah.” He said.


Martha walked up behind and placed a hand on Tabatha’s shoulder.


            “Please, if you’re doing a magic contest, do it outside.” She said.


            “Martha! The vampires are outside!” Walden objected.


Martha chuckled.


            “Well, seeing as you two can both use magic, a vampire wouldn’t be much of a chore.” She said.


Walden nodded slowly.


            “Alright, you’re right. C’mon Tabatha, let’s go.” Walden said, flying towards the door.


Tabatha adjusted her witch hat and grabbed her staff. She stood up and strode after Walden.


            “Well, do you all want to watch?” I asked.


            “Well, it sure does promise to be interesting. Why not?” Raymond asked.


I got up and went for the door. Raymond got up and followed me.


            “I would pay money to see Tabatha’s ego get taken down a notch. Now I get to see it for free, it must be my lucky day.” Don chuckled as he got up and walked over to us.


Francella, Erin, Macalister, Stella and Robert all got up and walked to the door. I reached out and opened the door, stepping through and holding the door open for the others. Once they were all through, I let the door close and I turned to look at the field. Tabatha and Walden both stood in the field, they were talking to each other. We all began walking towards them. As we drew nearer, we could hear their words.


            “So, how do you wanna do this? What are the rules?” Walden asked.


            “I have an idea.” Tabatha said.


            “Shoot.” Walden told her.


            “As for the rules, we can use any type of magic that we can. No restrictions. Since we have a lot of crops in stock in the house, we could stand apart from each other, say fifty feet away, and we use our manipulation magic to levitate crops out of the ground and we hurl them at each other. Last woman standing wins.” Tabatha said with total confidence.


Walden scoffed.


            “’Last woman standing’ huh? I think it’s obvious who’s gonna be winning this.” Walden boasted.


Tabatha arched an eyebrow.


            “Oh? Care to put a wager on it?” She asked.


Walden arched his own eyebrow, interested.


            “A wager? Continue.” Walden said, scratching his chin.


            “I got it. Whoever loses must admit to the winner how great she is at magic.” Tabatha said with a wicked smile.


Walden laughed, clutching his stomach with one hand and pointing at Tabatha with the other.


            “You really think you’re gonna win, don’t you?” Walden said.


Tabatha shook her head.


            “No, I know that I’m going to win.” She shot back.


            “Alright then. Let’s begin. May the best man win.” Walden said, holding out his hand to Tabatha.


Tabatha crossed her arms over her chest, still holding her staff.


            “I think you mean ‘may the best woman win.’” She replied, her rich brown eyes flashing in the moonlight.


            “Yeah, whatever.” Walden scoffed, already flying in the opposite direction as Tabatha.


Tabatha began walking away from Walden. They were about to start. When they were both about fifty meters away from each other, they turned around and began shouting spells.


            “Windstorm!” Walden shouted as he waved his hand at Tabatha.


Tabatha attempted to dodge the spell, but the shockwave hit her and she was knocked to the ground. She got back up immediately.


            “Levitate!” She shouted, using her staff to magically hurl a carrot at Walden.


The carrot travelled at a high speed and it beaned Walden right in the chest. He grunted but didn’t fall down.


            “Geez lady, you’re pretty good.” Walden shouted.


From here I could see Tabatha grin in the moonlight.


            “I know!” She called.


            “Levitate!” Walden cried out, magically throwing a carrot at Tabatha.


Tabatha swiftly dodged, spun around and wordlessly threw a carrot at Walden using her magic. Again, she hit Walden square in the chest. He grunted and clutched his stomach, but didn’t give up.


            “Gust!” Walden shouted, summoning a powerful, noisy wind from his wand.


The wind travelled to Tabatha. She couldn’t keep her footing and she fell on her butt.


            “You little winged midget! You got my dress dirty!” Tabatha called.


            “Gee, sorry lady!” Walden shouted with a mock apologetic tone.


            “You’re going to pay for that!” Tabatha shouted.


            “Then make me pay! I’m not exactly feelin’ the heat from you!” Walden taunted.


Tabatha swung her staff and sent a carrot flying Walden’s way. Walden dodged just in time, but instead of letting the carrot hit the ground, he reached out and grabbed it in a magical grip and used its own momentum to hurl it at Tabatha twice as fast as it was going when she threw it at him. It hit Tabatha in the head. She was knocked to the ground. She groaned and sat up slowly. She raised a hand to her head. I could see her blood glint in the moonlight. Concern filled me.


            “Tabatha! Are you okay?” Walden shouted, flying quickly over to her.


I ran over to Tabatha. The others were close behind.


            “I’m fine. It-it barely even hurt.” Tabatha said, not removing her hand from her head.


            “Uh huh. Sure. You should heal yourself.” Walden said.


Tabatha grabbed her staff and used it as a support to stand up. She held her staff at arm’s length while resting it on the ground.


            “Healing Gaze!” She shouted.


She was bathed in a green glow and I could see her blood disappearing and her wound on her head sealing. The light receded and Tabatha was once again unharmed.


            “Good fight, Walden. You’re pretty handy with magic.” Tabatha said.


Walden blushed, looking away from her.


            “Eh, thanks Tabatha.” He said.


Tabatha giggled and put a hand on Walden’s shoulder, spinning him around to face her.


            “Are you blushing?” Tabatha asked with a grin.


Walden shrugged Tabatha’s hand off of his shoulder and quickly turned away, heading for the house.


            “No!” Walden said quickly once his back was turned to Tabatha.


Tabatha giggled cutely, following Walden to the house. Walden stepped through the door, followed by Tabatha and the rest of us. When we were all inside, Walden looked to Tabatha.


            “Look, I’m… I’m real sorry for hurting you.” He said, scratching the back of his head.


Tabatha put a hand on his shoulder, kneeling down so she was at eye level with Walden.


            “Hey, it’s okay. I’m fine, see?” Tabatha said, brushing her burgundy bangs aside to reveal the spot that the wound had been. Sure enough, there was no trace of the wound.


Walden eyed her forehead guiltily.


            “You’re one heck of a healer, I gotta admit.” Walden muttered.


            “Thanks.” Tabatha said.


Walden flew over to the bunk room, picking a top bunk.


            “I’m goin’ to bed. G’night.” He said, sadness and guilt tainted his voice.


Tabatha walked over to his bunk and looked at Walden.


            “Walden, don’t worry about it. I’m fine, and it was an accident, wasn’t it? Because if it wasn’t, I’ll put you outside with the vampires.” Tabatha said, her voice was now angry.


Why was she angry all of a sudden? She was just telling Walden not to worry. Walden scooted back in his bed, his back hitting the wall.


            “Y-yes! It was an accident! I’m sorry!” Walden said.


Tabatha laughed, her laughter died down and it reached a quiet giggle.


            “I’m just kidding, Walden. I’m not mad at all. One of us was going to get hurt after all, right? It was inevitable.” Tabatha said to comfort Walden.


Walden nodded slowly.


            “Yeah, I guess you’re right. Thanks, Tabatha.” Walden said.


            “Don’t mention it.” She replied as she got into her bunk.


I walked over to my own bunk and slipped beneath the blankets. The others did the same.


            I was closing my eyes, but I heard Walden speak.


            “Tabatha?” Walden asked.


            “Yes?” Tabatha replied.


            “You wouldn’t actually put me outside with the vampires, would you?” Walden asked.


Tabatha laughed quietly.


            “Of course not! I’m not that mean!” She said.


She used the same words at dinner with Don. I was really starting to like Tabatha. She could joke around, but she also knew when to stop.


            “Heh, yeah...” Walden said, trailing off.


            “Tabatha?” Macalister asked.


            “What is it, Macalister?” She asked.


            “Will you cook up some witch’s brew in the morning?” He asked.


            “No. Go to sleep.” Tabatha said bluntly.


I heard Robert laugh at Tabatha and Macalister’s little exchange.


            “Do you trust me yet, Robert?” Tabatha asked.


            “I’m getting there.” He replied.


I closed my eyes once more and I fell asleep.


 


***




© 2015 Ryan Henderson


Author's Note

Ryan Henderson
Please tell me what you think! :)

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Good chapter. You kinda see a different side to Walden, seems like he lost his stride completely after hurting Tabatha. Understandable that he didn't want to hurt someone, but he's so upset over it that I wonder if he doesn't have a trauma or something, like being kicked out of his hometown after hurting a close friend with his magic.

The magic contest was interesting. I feel like Martha isn't gonna be happy with what might have befallen the field after that, even if they have crops in storage. Seems like they have a history.

I only really have one suggestion:

“Well, do you all want to watch?” I asked.
“Well, do you all want to watch?” I asked everyone.
-You can figure it out, but it speeds up the process of knowing where the question is being directed.

Posted 9 Years Ago


Ryan Henderson

9 Years Ago

Thanks for the review!
Ryan Henderson

9 Years Ago

And no, Walden doesn't have trauma, he's just guilty about hurting Tabatha when he didn't mean to.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

499 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on March 3, 2015
Last Updated on July 3, 2015
Tags: Medieval, Vampire, Vampires, Fiction, Fantasy, Teen, Original

Alcingeria


Author

Ryan Henderson
Ryan Henderson

Cobourg, Ontario, Canada



About
I will review your work if you send me a read request, I like to help writers get off of the ground, I will also suggest ideas for your work if needed. Please note that I don't really like poetry... more..

Writing