Alcingeria Chapter Forty Eight: Alice

Alcingeria Chapter Forty Eight: Alice

A Chapter by Ryan Henderson
"

The group back at Queen Yuka's castle find suspicious evidence suggesting that Estaire is a dark magic witch... Is she really the one they've been fearing since they arrived?

"

Chapter Forty Eight Alice:

Friday July 2nd 1690

            Ceberus, William, Martha, Erin, Francella and Raymond all stood in the garden of Queen Yuka’s castle. The scent of roses was heavy on the air, as usual.

            “I hope the others are okay.” Martha worried.

            “Don’t worry, dear. The Scorpions as well as Stella know how to handle themselves. They went with some law enforcement officers, they’ll be fine.” Ceberus assured her.

            “As for whoever was captured by the mafia, we can’t be certain of their fate. Who knows what the mafia wants with them?” William asked.

            “Beats me. When did things get so complicated?” Francella asked.

            “Right about the time The Scorpions came into our lives.” Raymond joked.

            “Hey, look!” Erin exclaimed.

They all looked to where Erin was pointing and saw two law enforcement officers carrying a girl.

The witch looked to be fifteen and was wearing witch clothes that were blue with white trim. She carried no wand or staff. Her hair was Dark, rich orange. Her eyes were sapphire blue. She was pretty tall and her skin tone was pale. The area around her eyes was red, she had been crying.

            “It’s okay, you’re safe.” One of the law enforcement officers said calmly.

The witch nodded, fighting off tears.

            “What did you say your name was?” The other officer asked.

            “Alice.” The witch replied, her voice still shook form whatever she was crying over.

            “Thank you for rescuing me. Thank you so much!” The witch said gratefully.

            “It was no trouble.” The law enforcement officer assured her.

The two officers escorted the witch into the castle, out of sight.

            “Did you see that?” Francella asked.

            “Did Queen Yuka’s officers actually save a witch?” Raymond asked in disbelief.

            “It appears so.” Erin said, sounding just as stunned.

            “Do you think the witch, Alice, can use dark magic?” Francella asked.

Ceberus shook his head.

            “Not likely. Queen Yuka’s law enforcement officers wouldn’t bring a witch into the castle without good reason. Who knows? Maybe Alice agreed to become a servant to Queen Yuka.” Ceberus said.

            “Probably. Although I don’t see how it matters. The queen just got all of her magic users taken away. Who would blame her for looking for more?” Francella asked.

Raymond chuckled.

            “Anyone have any ideas on what to do? It’s so boring here at the castle. The others are either captured by the mafia or out hunting the mafia. We’re just stuck here.” Raymond complained.

            “Stop your complaining, Raymond. At least we’re safe.” Erin scolded.

They then heard footsteps behind them. They all turned around to see Princess Estaire walking towards them.

            “Hello everyone. How are you all holding up?” She asked with compassion.

            “We’re doing fine, thanks.” Martha replied.

            “Some guards just brought in a witch. She seems nice. She isn’t here as a servant, she’s here as a guest. The search party rescued her from being burned at the stake.” She explained.

            “I’ll bet Stella had a hand in that.” Raymond whispered to Francella.

Estaire’s eyes then widened in remembrance.

            “Oh, before I forget. Have any of you seen a book lying around somewhere? It is bound in brown leather. I think I lost it last night in the chaos…” Estaire trailed off.

            “No, we haven’t seen it. If we do we’ll let you know.” William said.

            “Thank you.” Estaire said kindly.

            “What’s in the book?” Francella asked.

Estaire looked away from the group.

            “It’s nothing. Just tell me when you find it, please?” She asked.

The group looked confused and curious, but nodded.

            “Whatever you say, princess.” Erin said.

Estaire nodded.

            “Thanks. I hope your friends are safe.” She said, changing the subject.

            “I hope so too.” Martha said.

            “It was very brave of them to go up against such a force. I gave them my blessing on their mission. Hopefully they’ll return soon.” Estaire told everyone.

            “Thank you for that.” Ceberus commented.

Just then, they heard footsteps behind them. The witch who the guards had just brought in, Alice, came into view.

            “Hello, princess.” Alice greeted.

            “Hello, Alice. How are you doing?” Estaire asked with concern.

            “Still a little shaken up to be honest. I almost died, after all.” She replied.

Estaire then turned to the group.

            “Alice, these people are friends of the ones who saved your life.” Estaire introduced.

            “Well, any friend of them is a friend of mine.” Alice said with a bright smile.

After a series of quick introductions, Alice now knows everyone’s names.

            “Well, you all seem like a nice group of people. It’s nice to meet all of you.” Alice said.

Alice then took a deep breath through her nose.

            “Oh, Estaire. I love the smell of roses.” She said.

Estaire’s expression brightened as she cracked a big grin.

            “I love roses! The way they smell, the way they look, the way they feel, everything. I had them planted in the garden as well as put throughout the castle.” Estaire replied, her unusual light violet eyes flashed with passion.

            “Estaire, I’ve been meaning to ask you…” Francella started.

            “Ask me what?” Estaire asked.

            “Why are your eyes… Violet?” He asked with uncertainty.

Estaire looked off into the distance.

            “When she was pregnant with me, my mother was not in good condition. She had gotten sick, very sick. Of course if she died, I would have died. She had her best healing magic witches and warlocks tending to her. With the help of magic, she survived and I was born. My violet eyes are the result of all the magic that was used on my mother.” Estaire explained.

The group took in the new information, and awed at her explanation.

            “Estaire, that’s fascinating!” Alice said.

A pudgy young man then came running out into the garden from the castle.

            “Princess! Your mother wishes to speak with you.” The man panted.

Estaire looked rather annoyed, but turned around to the man with a smile.

            “Okay, thank you Herman. I’ll be right there.” She said kindly.

Herman then ran back into the castle. Estaire turned to the group.

            “Well, I’d best be going. Wouldn’t want to be beheaded.” She joked with a grin.

            “Okay. We’ll be seeing you later then?” William asked.

            “Of course. You’re all my friends after all.” Estaire replied.

She then walked into the castle.

            “I think I’ll go to my room and rest up. I still need to recuperate…” Alice said.

            “I don’t blame you. It was nice meeting you, Alice.” Erin said.

            “Likewise.” Alice said.

She then turned and entered the castle. The group waited in silence for a few minutes.

            “Who’s up for the guest lounge?” Francella asked with a grin.

            “Sure thing!” Erin replied.

The rest of the group was grinning and they walked into the castle, headed for the guest lounge. About twenty feet from the doorway, there were two dead rats!

            “Eeeeww!” Erin squealed.

Ceberus walked over to the rats, examining them.

            “How’d they die, Ceberus?” Raymond asked.

Ceberus leaned in, examining them closer.

            “That doesn’t make sense.” He muttered.

            “What is it, dear?” Martha asked, walking up behind him.

            “There are no wounds on these animals.” Ceberus said confusedly.

            “They haven’t been dead long, there are no flies around them.” Francella observed.

            “Estaire and Alice just came through here. Wouldn’t they have called a servant to clean them up?” Erin asked.

            “I’ll go get one.” Francella said, running off to find a servant.

            “How did they die? There isn’t any blood, not even a wound.” Ceberus asked.

            “A disease?” Raymond suggested.

Ceberus shook his head, still in deep thought.

            “No, the bodies would be more… disgusting if they died of disease.” Ceberus said.

Just then, Francella returned with a servant. The servant held a burlap sack, he donned a disgusted expression. Francella pointed him towards the dead rats. He put them in the sack and tied it shut. He walked out of the castle to dispose of them.

            “Everyone, I think I know what did this to those rats.” Ceberus said.

            “What was it?” William asked.

            “Dark magic.” Ceberus said.

Everyone gasped collectively.

            “Ceberus, listen to yourself!” Martha exclaimed.

            “No, think about it! Estaire left only minutes before we discovered them! She mentioned how she lost her book. She told us what it looked like, but wouldn’t tell us what was inside! That has to be her spell book! And that story about how she got her violet eyes, I bet that was false. Her eyes are violet because she’s the dark magic witch!” Ceberus said in a hushed voice.

            “Estaire? Are you crazy, Ceberus?” William asked.

            “Estaire’s nice, kind hearted and caring. She can’t be the dark magic witch!” Erin said.

            “Well, do you have any other suspects?” Ceberus asked defensively.

Everyone thought for a moment.

            “How about Alice?” Erin said.

Everyone sat there and thought about it for a moment.

            “Think about it. She shows up, what? Ten minutes before we find those dead rats? What if she’s the dark magic witch?” Erin countered.

            “That’s impossible! Queen Yuka’s guards brought her in themselves! They wouldn’t bring a dark magic witch to the castle.” Ceberus argued.

            “What if they did?” Erin shot back.

            “Sure her timing is a little suspicious, but other than that you have no proof.” Ceberus said.

Erin sagged her shoulders, defeated.

            “So what do we do?” Raymond asked.

            “Simple. We spy on Estaire.” He replied.

            “Spy on the princess? Have you lost your mind?” William asked.

            “All the clues point to her!” Ceberus argued.

Francella sighed.

            “You’re right. To ensure the safety of the group and everyone in the castle, we need to get to the bottom of this. I’ll spy on Estaire.” He said.

            “What? You’re not sneaky!” Erin said.

            “No, but I’m quick. If anyone sees me I’ll be out of there faster than Tabatha can hit Don in the head with a vegetable from forty feet away.” He said with a grin.

            “If only Stella was here…” Raymond said.

            “Well she’s not and I’m the best man for the job.” Francella said.

Ceberus sighed.

            “Francella, are you sure about this?” He asked.

Francella nodded.

            “Definitely.” He said.

            “We can’t save you if you get into trouble. That would put us all in danger. If things hit the fan, you need to get yourself out.” Ceberus warned.

            “I know, and I won’t let you down.” Francella said with absolute certainty.

Ceberus nodded, closing his eyes.

            “Okay, you can do this. I believe in you.” Ceberus said.

            “Okay. But just remember, Ceberus. If Estaire is proven to be innocent, I get to say ‘I told you so’.” Erin said with a grin.

            “Yes, yes. Very well.” Ceberus said.

With that, Francella was off. Is Estaire the dark magic witch? If so, does Queen Yuka know it? Why would she let Estaire into the castle, if she was a dark magic witch? Wouldn’t she have been banished? Burned at the stake? No, Estaire is Queen Yuka’s daughter, she wouldn’t dare to do that, would she? Given all of the queen’s evil deeds, it is needless to say that she has done very horrible things, but she wouldn’t kill her own daughter. Would she?



© 2015 Ryan Henderson


Author's Note

Ryan Henderson
Please tell me what you think!

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

355 Views
Added on May 5, 2015
Last Updated on May 5, 2015
Tags: Medieval, Vampire, Vampires, Fiction, Fantasy, Teen, Original

Alcingeria


Author

Ryan Henderson
Ryan Henderson

Cobourg, Ontario, Canada



About
I will review your work if you send me a read request, I like to help writers get off of the ground, I will also suggest ideas for your work if needed. Please note that I don't really like poetry... more..

Writing