Children of the Sands 3

Children of the Sands 3

A Story by David Jae
"

Ras finds Rahd, but will they be able to escape?

"

Rahd collapsed onto his bunk, his limbs feeling like lead, an insistent ache pounding in his head. He'd lost track of how many days he'd been here, the days blurring into a constant stream of brutal drills and gruelling runs under the desert sun. Around him, the other 'recruits' were sat on their bunks or stood in line for a drink from the single grimy fawcet that stood in the middle of the room. A few had curled up on their bunks, already dropping into the blank oblivion of sleep, seeking escape for a time. What struck Rahd most was that there was no talking, no chatter, most of the not even making eye contact with each other. They were too worn down, too exhausted to do much more that shuffle forward with the others or lie slumped on their bunks. Escape seemed impossible with the desert surrounding them, but Rahd wasn't going to give up so easily. He looked up as he heard feet approaching and Kol sat down on the bunk next to his, lying back to look at the ceiling. 
                'Did you get it?' He asked, quietly, without looking round at him. Wordlessly, Rahd reached inside his jacket and showed him the key, before slipping it back into his pocket. 
                'Alright.' Kol said. 'We'll do it tonight.'
                'Shouldn't we tell the others?' Rahd asked. 'They could help and...'
                'We don't know who we can trust.' Kol said. 'For now, this stays between us. It's safer that way.'
                'So, how do you know you can trust me?' Rahd asked and he looked towards him. 
                'Call it an instinct, kid. When you've been in as many of these scrapes as I have, you get a feeling for who you can trust.'
                'You were in the Army, weren't you?' Rahd asked, after a moment. 
                '...I still am. Captain Kol Asaid, 2nd Armoured Division.' He said, turning over on his bunk. 'Get some rest. We'll move once everyone's asleep.'

Ras pressed her back against the wall, holding her breath as she heard the crunch of a boot and her shaking hand reached towards the pistol in her holster. 
                Please don't come this way. Please don't come this way...
The boot scraped again and then she heard the footsteps fading away and she risked a glance round the corner. The guard was walking away from her, disappearing around the other side of the building. 
                Come on. You've got to move. Now.'
Rising from her crouch, she sprinted across towards the low building where she had seen Rahd go and tried the handle, but it wouldn't budge. 
                Locked...D****t it, I can't stay here...alright, calm down...it's locked, so get it open...
She glanced around quickly, dropping to her knees and opening her tool pouch, setting to work. 
                ...okay, okay...simple mechanical mechanism...just remove this cover, unscrew this and...got it!' 
With a faint click, the door and opened and Ras risked another glance over her shoulder, before slipping through and closing the door behind. On the second try, it stayed shut, but she knew that anyone coming through would see what she had done. 
                alright...need to make this quick...
As quietly as she could, she set off down the darkened corridor towards the door and the end. 


 

Rahd opened his eyes when he heard the sound of a boot scraping on the floor and he froze, listening intently. There was silence and then he heard it again, the faint scrape of a boot on the metal floor. As casually as possible, he turned over, hoping that whoever it was would think that he was simply shifting in his sleep and looked around. However, he could see no-one in the room. As quietly as possible, he pushed back the covers and slipped out of bed, not noticing the cold floor under his bare feet and crept towards the door, pressing his back against the wall just as a shadowy figure entered the room and he struck. His arm snaked out around the intruders neck, who gave a cut-off shriek that was higher-pitched than he'd expected, but very familiar.
                'Ras?' He asked, loosening his grip, slightly. 'Is that you?'
                'Yes, it's me, you bloody idiot.' She snapped. 'What the hell were you doing?'
                'Sorry.' He said, releasing his grip and stepping back. 'I thought you were...never mind. What are you doing here?'
                'I'm here to rescue you, what the hell do you think I'm doing?' She hissed. 'Come on. I've got the Tank parked on the cliff nearby. If we hurry, we can get out before anyone notices us.'
                'Not without the others.' Rahd said, moving towards the bunks and starting to wake the others up. 
                'Rahd, what are you doing?'
                'I'm not leaving them here, Ras...'


                'All clear.' Rahd said, from where he was crouched inside the doorway. 'Come on.'
He gestured with one hand, a quick chopping motion and the others followed him out of the door and across the compound like shadows. Ras, bringing up the rear, couldn't help noticing that he moved differently. He moved more like a snake, with a fluid grace, his head always moving to look around him. Then, he held up his hand again with a clenched fist and, as one, they all froze where they were. Rahd looked round at one of the other recruits and pointed into the shadows. With a nod, he set off and Ras followed were he had been pointing, spotting the guard a few metres away. 
                I didn't even see he was there...
The man that Rahd had sent out reached the man and grabbed him from behind, wrapping his arms around his head and twisting, the man falling to the ground without a sound. Ras fought back her revulsion and turned towards her brother, meeting his gaze. She expected to see the same revulsion that she felt, but all she saw was...nothing. 
                Oh, Rahd...what have they done to you?
Rahd gestured again and they continued on, reaching the cliff wall without incident, Ras leading them to the rope. 
                'Go, go, go.' Rahd hissed. 'Shift it.' 
One by one, they grabbed the rope and started climbing. It was slow going and Ras kept glancing around, but there was no sign that they had been discovered and the number slowly dwindled until the last recruit began to climb. 
                'You next.' Rahd said, gesturing to the rope. 'I'll bring up the rear.'
                'I'm not leaving...' Ras began, just as a klaxon rang out across the base. Searchlights flared to life, sweeping the compound and Ras could hear shouts and the sound of running feet. 
                'Go!' Rahd said, shoving her towards the rope and Ras began to climb as fast as she could. Adrenaline gave her a boost and she was soon scrambling onto the ledge, reaching round to pull Rahd up after her. 
                'Alright!' She said, launching herself to wrap Rahd in a hug. 'We made it.'
                'Maybe not.' Rahd said, extricating himself and pointing behind him. 'Look.' 
Ras followed to where he was pointing and her eyes widened as she saw the bridge rising from the compound towards the top of the ravine. As she watched, hanger doors at the other end ground open and tanks emerged, starting their inexorable climb to the top. 
'That's it.' Rahd said. 'They're going to cut us off...'
'Not yet.' Ras said, scrambling into the Tank's cockpit and powering up, swinging the turret round to aim at the bridge, 
                Only going to get one chance at this...
Ras pulled the trigger, the recoil of the man gun making the cockpit shake as the High Explosive shell was fired towards the bridge. Ras held her breath as the shell streaked towards the bridge, detonating with an explosion that she could hear even inside the Tank. The bridge held together for a second and then, with a metallic grinding, it collapsed. The Tanks that were crossing were caught completely unawares, tumbling into the ravine where they exploded. 
                Oh, yeah. Ras thought, with a grin. That's how it's done...

© 2015 David Jae


Author's Note

David Jae
Reviews and constructive criticisms very welcome.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

I am so hoping to see more of this story. If you make a string of ebooks about this story, I will buy them. I love this story so much. I love how easily I got behind these characters and how surprised I was with each scene. I didn't think she was going to make it out, because she is definitely a big-time risk taker. You really brought me into this world you created and I can't wait to read more about it.

Posted 8 Years Ago


David Jae

8 Years Ago

Thank you. If you liked that, you might enjoy my latest eBook, Shanghai Tiger on Amazon Kindle. I wo.. read more
Very good. I enjoyed reading it, I apologize for not getting back to you, so soon. The tale was good I have found that the story is very well designed. Thank you for putting it together.

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

David Jae

8 Years Ago

You're welcome. I'm glad you enjoyed it.
Great continuation of the previous Children of the Sands stories! The characters are very developed, and you can get a feel for what they are doing and their thoughts. Great job!

-One good thing about having multiple stories with the same characters is that you can learn more about them and anticipate their actions. They become less like storybook characters and more like actual people.

Posted 8 Years Ago


David Jae

8 Years Ago

Thank you very much. I'm glad you enjoyed it.
your writing is awesome i love the Rahb character

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

David Jae

8 Years Ago

Thank you.
Love it, Ras and Rahd together tearin s**t up, they make a good team. That's basically the dynamic I'm going for with Steve and Rusty in "Black Sands", and this inspires me to keep going with that.

Posted 8 Years Ago


David Jae

8 Years Ago

Thanks. That means a lot.
There's got to be a part 4 right? If not this needs to be a launch pad into more things in this world. I'm invested now!

Posted 8 Years Ago


David Jae

8 Years Ago

I'm planning to write some short stories on kindle and some will feature Rahd and Ras. Thank you for.. read more
Peter Richard Adams

8 Years Ago

Likewise David! I wouldn't read it if I wasn't really enjoying it though. Which I am.
David Jae

8 Years Ago

Thanks, my friend.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

344 Views
6 Reviews
Rating
Added on August 26, 2015
Last Updated on August 26, 2015
Tags: Tank, post-apocalypse, sci-fi, desert, war, adventure, family, military, holocaust