Chapter 8

Chapter 8

A Chapter by perfectlymetiKulous

 

*****
            I’d seen her. No one knew about it, not even Claudia, but three months after I’d left Desi, I went back to the apartment. I’d seen her. I watched her. I felt insane, like a stalker, which I guess I was, but I couldn’t help it. Tears sprung to my eyes the moment I saw her, she looked lost in thought, and still as beautiful as I remembered, or even more so. Beautiful was never a word anyone used to describe her, she had told me.  You're the only one that thinks I'm beautiful, Jay. I always thought Desi was the most beautiful woman in the world. I ducked down in the car; I wanted to see her but hadn’t wanted her to see me. She looked adorable in some oversized pajama pants and a fitted wife beater that was cut up all to be damned. I ducked down further; I swore she looked my way, she was peering through the sunlight at me. Get the hell out of here, Jaylen, I thought to myself. Get out of here. Now.  But before I started the car and drove away, I glanced up again to see her, one last time. That one last time was all it took. She wasn’t alone this time. That had to be him. He was burly and handsome and ran toward her. My heart was stuck in my throat; it wasn’t beating and I couldn’t breathe. He scooped her up and she looked as if she was smiling, perhaps laughing a little but I knew her well. That cloud of pensiveness continued to plague her. Her eyes met mine again, or so it would seem. I ducked back down, and now, I was shaking uncontrollably. When I looked up again, she was gazing my way, through the light, and talking to him. To Mike. He shook his head and grinned and then carried her into the apartment. How could she live in the apartment that I lived in with her with him? Was everything the exact same in there except me? Except Jada? Except our perfect little family? When the door closed, I drove off as fast as I could. 
 
            “Jaylen.” I was out shopping, cautiously because I hadn’t wanted to run into anyone. Jada was down the aisle laughing with her dad. I looked up and saw the eyes of Bailey Price. I smiled softly. “I’ve been calling you for weeks. To tell you I was home.” Bailey’s eyes scanned me, perhaps looking for the watch that she’d sent me over six months ago. The Cartier watch that was in a bag under the bed in the room I shared with Jada at Andre’s condo. I moved my wrist instinctively. 
            “I changed my number. I’m sorry I hadn’t called. I’m still… well, working on things.” I fidgeted a bit. Bailey’s gaze burned into me. 
            “I figured as much. Me too.” She replied softly. I looked up and met her eyes, and they were soft and familiar. Comforting. Andre approached us both. Although Dre had liked Desi a lot, he was very protective of me now that she’d hurt me. Desi had called him a few times trying to get information, and he wouldn’t give it to her. 
            “Hey, Dre, this is Bailey. Bailey, Jada’s dad Andre.” Bailey extended her hand, and Dre took it, somewhat reluctantly, it would seem. He eyed her, and then looked to me.
            “Jay, meet us at the register.” Bailey looked at Jada as Andre scooped her up and carried her away. 
            “Was that Jada?” She asked an obvious question, but I answered with a nod anyway. “I would have liked to meet her.” She said. I nodded again.
            “You will. I’ve gotta go, Bailey.” I said to her, and she grabbed at me as I walked off.
            “Is that all?” Her eyes sparkled with hurt. “Is that it, Jaylen? All I get?” 
            “I can’t give you anything more right now. I don’t have anything else to give you.” I turned to walk away from her again. Again I heard her approach me. 
            “Well, at least take this.” A piece of paper with her phone number. “In case you didn’t have it anymore. I hope you call me. Whenever you want. I meant what I said about wanting to be there for you.” I turned back to her with a nod and smile.
            “Thank you, Bailey.” I said sincerely, and then, this time, she let me leave. Andre was looking in her direction distrustfully and shot me a look.
            “Is that the Bailey that sent you the watch?” He asked casually as he unloaded the groceries. I frowned; I hadn’t told him anything about the watch. 
            “How do you know about that?” I asked him. He smirked.
            “Just because you’re not talking to Des doesn’t mean I’m not, and you’re wrong, Jay. You’re not right. You just didn’t get caught like she did. Regardless of the Mike thing-“
            “Dre, stay out of it.” I interrupted, snapping uncharacteristically at him. His eyes gleamed; Andre always loved a good logical argument. 
            “Seriously, she was cheating, you were cheating. You think because she was cheating longer that she was wrong? Or was it because it was a guy?” He grinned somewhat lasciviously in my direction. I hit him. 
            “Andre, I don’t want to discuss this with you. Yeah, I know what happened between Bailey and me was wrong, but be serious: she was thousands of miles away.” 
            “And if she were here, Jay? What then? Would you have been in the same boat with Desi and Mike?” We’d checked out and I was pushing the basket full of groceries to the car. I stopped the basket and shot Andre a death ray.
            “Andre, I’m done talking about this with you. Okay? It’s a wrap. She’s wrong, I’m wrong, your opinion, I’ve got it. Great.” 
            “Don’t get pissed because I’m being straight with you. Oops, am I supposed to be ‘straight’ with you?” He fell into childish laughter, weaving around with Jada, who laughed gleefully.  
 
            Although Desi and I hadn’t spoken or seen each other in almost a year, I still thought of her every Sunday when I read the paper. I scanned the engagement announcements every Sunday, and trepidation crept into my every part until I could sigh with relief that I didn’t see her name, see her smiling face next to his announcing their wedding. To hear her name still hurt me as much as it hurt to know that she’d been dating Mike for a year. Suddenly the paper flew from my hands.
            “Uh uh, nope. Not today, Jaylen. Get up.” Andre insisted, balling up the paper. “You’re going out, and doing something lesbian related. It’s been a damn year. You need to move on.” I rolled my eyes.
            “What do you suggest?” I asked him wryly. He scrunched his handsome face up and studied me.
            “What do you mean? Do I look like a lady who likes ladies? Call a friend. Call Claudia or something. Get your a*s up, it’s a beautiful Sunday morning, almost afternoon, and you’re going to spend the entire day out. I’m serious. Jada and I have plans anyway. Move it.” He said and swatted me with the paper that he hadn’t destroyed. Instead of going in the room, I flung myself onto him. 
            “Thanks Dre. I love you.” Normally he’d try to play tough guy and say some smart a*s comment back, but today, he hugged me in return. 
            “I love you too, Jay. You’ve gotta let her go. And looking in the wedding pages every Sunday isn’t the way to do it. Go get dressed; I have to approve your outfit choice. We gone catch today, baby!” Andre, if nothing else, was always rowdy. I took the time to really roll my eyes and headed back to my room to dress. 
            Claudia had been angry with me. We talked regularly, but this was the first period in our lengthy relationship that I had been hiding out. I hadn’t been over to visit much, and definitely not gone out with her. I refused to go anywhere.  She was all smiles when she pulled up to Andre’s condo to pick me up, though.
            “I don’t even like Dre, and I wanna kiss him right now. He got you out of this dumb a*s depression. Seriously, Jay, do you know how many girls have been waiting you and Desi out? You’re like a hot commodity, b***h!” Claudia said. The news did not cheer me up. I sighed.
            “Claud, seriously… I’m not interested.” 
            “When the hell do you think you’ll be interested again, Jaylen? It’s been a freakin’ year. It’s been long enough. Time to let go.” She patted my hand reassuringly in an almost condescending manner and I almost yanked it back from her. 
            “Claudia. Chill out. Let’s just have fun.” I said. She conceded. 
            “Okay, Jaylen. Just be nice, okay. Don’t scowl at people.” She glanced over from the driver’s seat and pinched my cheek. “Just be your gorgeous little self that we’ve all come to know and love.” She said, and we drove in silence for a while, then she swerved through traffic, causing horns to honk as usual (I thought of it as her grand entrance) and pulled up to a popular Montrose restaurant. The patio was packed, the day was gorgeous, and there was nothing but women. 
            “I’ve never been here.” I was a little intrigued, admittedly. Claudia scoffed.
            “Yeah, I know.” She responded sarcastically. “They don’t have Hollywood Restaurant, or more importantly, the patio at Hollywood, at Andre’s apartment.” She turned the car off and primped a little in the mirror. “That dress is hot. Did Dre pick it?” She teased. My face flushed a little. He had. It was a distressed denim halter dress that had a corset at the top which ballooned out at the waist to a full, very short skirt. I’d tried to wear leggings; that was vetoed by Andre, and the sweater I managed to get out of the house I draped across my shoulders only to be vetoed by Claudia. “Nope.” Claudia said and threw the sweater in the backseat. “Not at all. We’re going outside, as you can see. It’s hot as hell. No sweater.” I pulled the mirror down and primped a little myself. My makeup was fresh and clean looking, not too much. I stood up shakily out of the car, and shoved my hands into the pockets of the dress, which was my favorite part of it. I took one hand out and smoothed my straightened hair, and then shoved the rogue hand back in the pocket. “Jaylen.” Claudia floated around the car and looked at me. She was fresh faced as well, and looked quite chic and sexy in a maxi dress that was almost sheer. “You look great. Stop fidgeting. Let’s go in, k?” I nodded and we went in. 
 
            Three drinks later, and I’d relaxed. Claudia managed to be the center of attention no matter where she went. We were at a table full of women that I’d never seen. One woman in particular was chatting me up about wine and work, and I was halfway listening, more paying attention to Claudia as she entertained several women at once, flashing that winning smile and charming each one of them. She and Ava were still seeing each other, but Claud was on the run from the commitments that Ava wanted to impose upon her. Ava had asked her to move in. Claudia hadn’t seen her in a week since that proposition. “What are you running from?” I’d asked her when she first told me of the proposal and her doubts. “You love Ava.” We were on the phone but I could almost see the look she was giving me. “Yeah, Jay. You love Desi. See where that leads.” So she was scared. I’d admonished her; the comment had stung a little, but I told her that Ava wasn’t Desi. Claudia remained unconvinced. “Love is great until things go wrong. What if she hurts me? Lies to me? Cheats on me?” That stung again. “No, Jay. I can’t give that much to Ava. It’s too much. Things are great the way they are.” Great the way they are meant Claudia still had the bulk of her freedom. Ava was and had always been a patient woman, but I wondered how much longer she’d wait for Claud. 
            “Excuse me.” I said to the woman talking to me. She smiled. 
            “Certainly.” She moved her chair out of my way. 
            “Claud, I’ll be right back.” I said to her. I walked inside where the inside was just as packed with people. I spotted a familiar face.
            “Hey Bailey.” She offered me a smile. 
            “Jaylen. It’s really good to see you. You look, well… great. You look beautiful.” She leaned down and kissed my cheek. “Why haven’t you called me?” I shrugged.
            “I don’t know, actually.” It was an honest answer. “I really don’t know. I’ve been meaning to.” 
            “Who are you here with?” She asked.
            “Claud, of course. She’s outside.” Bailey grinned.
            “You mind if I join you?” I shook my head. “What are you drinking? What is she drinking?” I gave the name of some wine, and Bailey obtained a bottle of it effortlessly. “Come on, let’s go.” 
            Anyone that brought Claudia a bottle of her favorite wine could settle comfortably into being Claudia’s new best friend until the bottle was empty. She offered Bailey a cautious yet charming smile.  
            “Bailey. Hi. Nice to see you.” She said, and kissed Bailey’s cheek. Bailey sat across from me, but looked at me purposefully. She poured Claudia a glass of wine, and then me.
            “Hey, Claudia. Nice to see you too.” Claudia was eyeing the non-verbal exchange between Bailey and I with not-so-muted interest. Instead of conversing with Bailey in her charming Claudia way, she picked up the glass of wine and one of her admirers. 
            “Let’s take a walk.” She said alluringly, and off they went. She winked at me as she walked away.
 
            Bailey and I talked for hours, and it was like no one else was there. I’d seen Claudia moving inside and outside several times, entertaining herself with other people and throwing smiles my way anytime I noticed her. The afternoon had faded into night, and Claudia finally approached the table.
            “Hey, guys.” Claudia said with a slur in her voice. She grinned. 
            “You ready?” I asked her, standing up. 
            “Yes, but you stay! It’s fine.” She said, and dragged a chair up to the table. 
            “Well, if it’s okay with you, Jay, I can take you home.” Bailey offered. I hesitated. I didn’t want anyone knowing where I was living. 
            “That’s great, Bailey. I think you should! Or maybe, just kidnap her and keep her forever!” Claudia cackled. She retrieved her car keys. “I’m not as drunk as I’m acting. I’m going home.” Claudia lived about ten blocks east of the restaurant. I frowned.
            “We’re following you.” I told her sternly. 
            After we followed Claudia home, Bailey and I camped out at a Starbucks. Even as I sobered up, I felt relaxed still. She talked, I listened; I talked, she listened, and the butterflies that used to accompany the sound of her voice returned and with fervor. Now, to accompany her smooth voice, I had her to look at her, her to touch. When I looked at the time again, it was midnight. Bailey smiled at me. 
            “Do you need me to take you home?” She asked. It didn’t seem like she wanted to ask, but it seemed as if she knew she should. Bailey always did the right thing. I grinned. 
            “I should go home.” I said. We stood.
            “Why don’t you just come and stay with me?” She offered. “I could take you home in the morning?” Her face looked hopeful. 
            “Okay. I’d like that.” I agreed. “I’d like that a lot.” We left. 
*****


© 2009 perfectlymetiKulous


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Aw - the start of Bailey + Jaylen
And they should totally be together forever :)

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

193 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on May 14, 2009
Last Updated on May 18, 2009


Author

perfectlymetiKulous
perfectlymetiKulous

In The Great State of, TX



About
good morning (and if i don't see you again) good afternoon/good evening and good night: for all interested parties - my name is Dana. i'm a sagittarius, if that means anything at all to you. .. more..

Writing