Chapter 11

Chapter 11

A Chapter by perfectlymetiKulous

 

            The wedding was in three weeks. Things had calmed down and gotten back to normal between us again. I’d taken off from work, although Bailey was insisting that I quit, and while I thought I should be stressed to the point of pulling my hair out, Grier wasn’t having it.
            “Everything is fine, darling.” She’d purred to me over the phone. “Seriously. You and Bailey enjoy this week, and even part of the next. The last week will be hectic.” 
            Enjoy the week we did. There was no one at the house except Jada, and during the days, she’d be at school. Bailey and I relaxed and did every single thing together. Wherever she went, I went. The only reason we were separated right now was because Jada and I were cooking dinner and needed something from the store. My phone rang, and I looked at it, debating on whether or not I’d answer. I answered, it was Claud.
            “Hey stranger.” She teased. She hadn’t been over to the house in almost two weeks, very unlike her. “You guys come up for air yet?” 
            “You’re so disgusting. What’s up?” 
            “Ava still wants to have you guys up to the house. She says she’d like to have a little pre-wedding party, dinner or something, make a weekend of it.” I groaned. Ava owned a log cabin in some rural part of Texas, although the cabin itself was anything but country. It was the most luxurious log cabin I’d ever seen, with seven huge bedrooms, each with their own bathroom.
            “Claudia, I just don’t think it’s a good idea. We have lots to do.” Claudia tsked.
            “Jaylen, you have people working for you. I don’t think it’s a good idea to be stressed. You should just come, and have a great time. We’ll leave on Friday night and come back early Sunday, how about that? You know Ava wanted us to stay for like four days, but I’ll say no.” Claudia offered. I grinned. 
            “What is there to do out there, anyway? We have Jada this weekend.” 
            “You can bring the munchkin! There’s the lake, and they have canoes and jet skis and s**t, I don’t know. Outdoorsy stuff. You know Bails will love it. And Ava’s going to bring in the masseuse, the chef, everything. Come on, it’ll be fun.” She whined. I grinned.
            “I’ll ask Bailey.” Bailey was pulling her SUV into the driveway. “She’s coming in. I’ll let you know.” 
            “Wait!” Claudia protested. “Maybe I should ask her? You know she doesn’t like to tell me no.” I rolled my eyes.
            “Why, Claudia? What the hell are you after?”
            “Well…” She said slowly. “Margie’s not coming. She’s mad that Ava’s having us up, so she won’t be there. So, it’ll give me and Ava some uninterrupted time to spend together. And I can’t get that if you guys don’t come. How will she get away from Margie if she says it’s just me and her?” I smirked at the phone.
            “Maybe you should consider what you’re asking… you’re trying to spend time with a woman who has to ‘get away from her girlfriend’, Claud. Not a good look.” She moaned.
            “Okay, whatever, Jaylen. Are you going to come or not?” 
            “I said I’d ask Bailey, d****t.” I swore teasingly.
            “Ask me what?” Bailey came in the house carrying bags and Jada, ignoring that, jumped on her. I took the bags from her and she swung a laughing Jada on her back. 
            “Claud wants us to go to Ava’s cabin for the weekend.” At this time, Claud was demanding to be put on speakerphone, so I obliged. 
            “Bails, they have everything to do there, jet skis and canoes and stuff. You’ll love it. And it’s really nice and fun, and stuff. Want to? I gotta tell her today.” Claudia launched into her pitch full throttle. “She’s gotta get the house stocked up.”
            “Sounds like fun to me. It’s our weekend with the midget though. Can she come?” 
            “Yeah, she can, I already asked Ava and I told Jay she could already. So, it’s a yes?” She prodded. Bailey looked at me and I nodded resignedly. 
            “Yeah, tell her we said yes.” Bailey looked almost as excited as Claudia sounded. I rolled my eyes.
            “And the champ reigns victorious again.” I congratulated Claudia. Bailey simply never said no to anything Claudia wanted. “Hey, can you ask her to get rid of some of those t-shirts upstairs? I mean, I asked, but clearly, me asking and you asking are two separate things. She never tells you no. She always does what you want.” I laughed. Bailey gave me an innocent look.
            “What shirts, babe? I’ll throw them all out now while I’m packing.” She rushed out of the kitchen, still carrying Jada, who still laughed and went upstairs. 
 
            “Jaylen, where are you guys?” Claudia whined.
            “Careful, you’re on speaker.” Bailey’s SUV had Bluetooth speakers. “Little pitchers have big ears.” 
            “Hiiiii, Jada!” Claudia crowed, her voice instantly changing, softening. 
            “Auntie!” Jada crowed in return. 
            “You’re coming to see me?” Claudia asked her.
            “Yes.” Jada said. 
            “Okay, what’s up?” I interrupted.
            “Jaylen, where are you guys?” She repeated her original question. 
            “On the way, Claudia!” My voice was etched with artificial sweetness. “I already told you, sweetness. We’ll be there soon. Okay?” 
“Fine.” She sighed. “Hurry up, I miss you!” We’d left Friday morning instead of Friday night as originally planned, at Claudia’s insistence. She and Ava arrived a couple of hours ago and she’d been harassing us ever since.
“Um, don’t you have something you could be doing?” I hinted, and she laughed.
“Just hurry up.” She said and hung up. 
 
We pulled up to Ava’s hulking log cabin an hour and a half later.
“Oh my God. This place looks like a hotel.” Bailey breathed. I laughed.
“It does.” I agreed.
“Is it really called a log cabin? It’s like a log mansion. S**t, I’ve never seen anything like this.” Bailey got out of the car. I got out too and unbuckled Jada’s car seat. 
“Wow!” Jada was of the same opinion. She took my hand. “Where’s Auntie?” She asked. I pointed to the double doors at the end of the impressive entryway. 
“Inside. Go ring the bell.” I said and Jada took off running. I turned back to Bailey who was unloading the luggage. 
“Darlings.” Ava appeared out of almost nowhere. Jada and Claudia were smiling into each other’s eyes. “Someone can do that for you. Come on in.” She said. We walked into the house, where Bailey gasped again. The logs that made up the breathtaking exterior of the house, spread throughout, and there was hulking, comfortable looking furniture about that looked as if it would swallow anyone that sat in it, and a massive fireplace dominated the room. The huge, open kitchen, almost tucked away in the corner, was bustling with activity as lunch was being readied and the entire room looked as if it were bringing the outdoors in with a wall of floor to ceiling length windows and doors to boast an amazing view of the lake. 
“Wow. This is … wow.” Bailey said. Ava smiled. 
“I love it so. I’m Ava. You must be Bailey.” Bailey finally noticed Ava and smiled. 
“Yes, I’m Bailey. I was at your house for Liz’s party, but I never met you.” Ava rolled her eyes.
“That night was out of control. I am surprised you even remembered you were at my house.” Ava laughed. “But I’ll have to get on to Elizabeth for not making sure I met you. I had to meet the woman that is sweeping my little Jaylen off her feet.” 
“She’s not sweeping, I’m swept.” I chimed in and hugged Ava. She hugged me back tightly. 
“And this is wonderful news. You used to always say you wanted to have your wedding at the River Oaks house. Has this changed, Jaylen?” Ava never called me Jay, called Claudia Claud, or any of that. She was very prim and proper. I shrugged.
“I would have loved to know that was still an option. We’ve already got the wedding booked, Ava. Thank you for your generosity.” I told her. Ava frowned a bit.
“Well, I should at least pay for it. I mean, at my house, it would have been free. Now, you’re paying.” I patted her hand as we sat in the great room. 
“Absolutely not, Ava, it’s already paid for.” Ava sighed. 
“Would you two like some wine?” Ava signaled someone.
“Is it even after noon?” I wondered aloud. Ava smiled devilishly.
“When has that even mattered? But yes, sweetheart, it is almost 2. Would you two like to go exploring? The house and outdoors and whatever?   We’ve got the horses ready to go riding too, there is a pony if Jada would like that.” I shook my head. Ava had it all and was the most hospitable person I’d ever known. “Jaylen, I’m deeply concerned about not being able to host your wedding at the River Oaks house. All these years, it has been something I looked forward to. Would you at least take your honeymoon at the Barbados condo?” She proposed, sitting back and looking perfectly graceful in the oversized chair that enveloped her. Ava’s dark hair had little streaks of a silvery gray but her face was smooth, clear of wrinkles. She was as beautiful as she’d ever been. She frowned again. “The condo was Margaret’s idea.  I hate shared living spaces.  I’m thinking that I’d still like a home out there. However, if you’re fine with a condo, it’s yours for however long you’d like to honeymoon there. I think she’s got some pictures over here or something. It’s really very nice, on the beach, everything.” Ava said casually. “But it’s not like this. Not enough room if I wanted guests, and I love guests.” The wine arrived and we all sipped. “At any rate, darlings, I’ll see you later. Enjoy yourselves.” She walked down the hallway and up the stairs. Jada and Claudia reappeared moments later. Claudia picked up Ava’s discarded wine glass, and sipped it and Jada sat right between Bailey and me. 
“Mama, Auntie says that Miss Ava has a pony! Can I go see it?” Jada asked. I shrugged. 
“Tell your Auntie to take you. Mom doesn’t know where it is, doll.” I said. Claudia rolled her eyes. 
“It’s right outside, like follow the path down to the stables. It’ll be fun.” She nudged. I gave her a look. Trying to get rid of us, I asked in a nonverbal manner, raising my eyebrows. Claudia grinned. 
“Come on, guys, let’s go find the pony.” I said in an overt manner. Bailey burst out laughing.
 
Neither of us had been horseback riding in years, but like she was at most anything, Bailey was a natural. It had taken us almost an hour to get Jada on the pony; she had been scared of it but loved it too much not to ride. Then we rode through the beautiful countryside, by the lake and would have been lost trying to get back had it not been for Bailey. Exhausted and starving, we trekked back to the house. Claudia was waiting anxiously at the back door and when she saw us approaching. Claudia looked completely different, her hair was out of the ponytail and lay across her shoulders and back and looked as if it belonged in shampoo commercials. Gone was the t-shirt and shorts of earlier; she wore a beautiful sundress that looked brand new and her makeup was immaculate. I couldn't remember a time that she looked more like a model, her appearance was picture perfect.
"Where have you guys been?" She wanted to sound demanding but sounded nervous instead.
"Horseback riding, of course." We walked up the stairs to meet her on the oversized back porch. Her eyes flitted from my face to Bailey's.
"What's up, Claud?" Bailey asked her.
"You guys have just been gone so long, you missed lunch and dinner is an hour and a half away and you know Ava's fancy about meals. Let me show you to your rooms so everyone can get dressed." Claudia walked us to the bedroom suite tucked away at the far end of the hall and opened the door. Bailey was in awe again, but I has expected nothing less than the room's perfect appointments. Our bags sat next to the closet. "Ava was going to have the maid unpack but she didn't know how you'd like your things. And this door," she opened the door that revealed the adjoining suite. "is Jada's room. Ava's niece has a little girl too so you guys lucked out. Wonder what she'll do for someone that has a little boy." Jada flew past us into the room.
"Wow, Auntie!" She exclaimed. Claudia smiled.
"There are toys and your clothes are in the drawer, my love. Disney and Noggin and that crap are on the TV." Jada made a face.
"They aren't crap, Auntie." She protested.
"You're right, my love. Listen, Auntie wants you to call to Melissa downstairs to come run you a bath and bring you a snack. Push the green button on the phone. Auntie's gotta talk to Mommy and Bailey. We are going to close this door, but knock if you need us, okay?" Claudia directed gently and then closed the door. She turned to look at us apprehensively. "No matter what I say, do you promise you won't leave?" Bailey settled into a chair and pulled me onto her lap. She gave Claudia her most patient look.
"What is it now?" Bailey asked with a tinge of exasperation in her voice.
"Liz and Cass are here." I shrugged.
"Was that it? The way you were acting, I thought someone died." I flipped on the television and as soon as I did that, Claudia turned it off.
"Yeah, well, they brought Desi and another girl. Some girl from the party, I think her name is Lacy." Bailey stiffened against me at the mention of Lacy. "I think you know Lacy, right, Bails?" I stood up and looked at Bailey, whose face told it all.
"We need to leave." I said. Claudia caught my one hand and Bailey the other.
"Jay, no. I think this happened for a reason. Stay. Exorcise these demons." Claudia teased a little.
"We can't go. We came to have a great, relaxing time with our friends and Jada. We can't keep running." Bailey's voice was gentle. "I'm not worried about this Lacy chick." She looked as if she were waiting for a response in kind.
"And I'm not worried about Desi." But it wasn't altogether true. Bailey smiled; it had sounded true enough to satisfy her. Claudia saw right through it, but nodded, reserving her comments for later.
"Good! I was worried." She sounded fake, at least to my knowing ears. "Dinner is in an hour and a half. See you guys later." When Claudia left, I looked at Bailey and she looked at me, and neither of us said a word.


© 2009 perfectlymetiKulous


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

oh shi- i knew something was up! you never let your characters have it easy do you? but that is what making reading this story so interesting and addictive

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

178 Views
1 Review
Added on May 26, 2009
Last Updated on June 29, 2009


Author

perfectlymetiKulous
perfectlymetiKulous

In The Great State of, TX



About
good morning (and if i don't see you again) good afternoon/good evening and good night: for all interested parties - my name is Dana. i'm a sagittarius, if that means anything at all to you. .. more..

Writing