Chapter 13

Chapter 13

A Chapter by perfectlymetiKulous

 

The next day, Liz and Cass didn’t come down to breakfast. We left to go to the lake without them. Ava had planned a full day for us all at the lake, one that included jet skiing and a boat trip. We all changed hurriedly and left. It didn’t go without notice that the group was still missing a couple. 
            “Elizabeth won’t be coming out.” Ava said quickly to everyone. “We’ll go on without her.” Without her, Ava had said. Where was Cass?   No one said anything, so I didn’t either. Bailey took Jada out on the jet ski, and Ava and Claudia were honeymooning, gazing into each other’s eyes and sharing private jokes under the gazebo. I had considered going back since the only remaining company was Desi and Lacy. 
            “Hey, Jaylen.” Lacy called out to me. I looked back and saw that she was sitting alone. “Care to join me?” I really hadn’t wanted to, but I did anyway. Lacy was tall and thin, and looked like a former athlete. She had a short dark hair that complimented her chocolate skin quite nicely. 
            “So, having fun?” She asked slowly. I sat down next to her, and shrugged.
            “Yeah. I guess. You?” I was cautious. She shrugged.
            “Same here. It’s kind of, well, weird. I mean, me and Des, we’re cool, but I don’t know. Then, to find out that Bailey is your fiancée, and like that, it was kinda crazy. I saw you at the party that night, but I didn’t think you guys were engaged.” My face fell. I could feel it falling, but I hadn’t wanted it to, not in front of her. It did anyway. “I didn’t mean to upset you. It just, it just didn’t come up.” She explained. I looked away and down, quickly. 
            “I suppose it didn’t.” I said after a long, awkward pause. 
            “So, you’re engaged to Bailey and used to be with Desi, right?” She asked. Her brown eyes looked at me, into me. 
            “Something like that.” I willed my voice to sound nonchalant. 
            “Yeah. Desi kinda told me about it.” Then, why did you ask, I wanted to say, but I didn’t. She continued. “I think that Desi’s still in love with you.” I took in a deep breath.
            “I really don’t know. And I don’t want to talk about it.” Lacy smiled and she had a lovely smile. 
            “Yeah, I can imagine you wouldn’t. I’m sorry if I am making you uncomfortable. I’m just a very direct person.” She said. Bailey and Jada went by on the jet ski right then, and Lacy’s eyes followed Bailey. “You’re a lucky woman.” I stood. 
            “Thanks.” I said and walked away without another word. 
 
            I started back to the house. I hadn’t a clue how we got there; I wasn’t paying attention on the walk over, and I didn’t have Bailey the Compass with me. I felt like I was going to be lost forever, when after walking in what felt like circles for twenty minutes, I finally ran into it. Desi and Liz were sitting on the porch, and Liz had obviously been crying. I backed away. 
            “Sorry, I will just come back later.” I said. Desi’s eyes pierced me, while Liz looked down.
            “If you need to go in, go in, Jay.” Desi’s voice was gentle. “We’re just talking.”
            “Jaylen, join us.” Liz’s voice sounded hoarse. I took the steps up slowly.
            “Are you sure, Liz, I don’t want to intrude.”
            “I invited you so how you are intruding?” She asked. I sighed and took a seat on the bench with Desi, trying to sit as far away from her as possible. “Cass left.” She told me. I nodded.
            “I kinda got that when Ava said that just you weren’t coming, and not the two of you.” I told her. She nodded. 
            “Don’t believe what she said last night, Jay. I love her; I just don’t want to do the whole wedding thing. I mean, we live together, we have everything shared, joint accounts, everything. Why do we need the ceremony?” Liz’s voice choked, and tears spilled from her eyes again. I had only seen Liz cry once before, and it was still as distressing an experience as ever.
            “Because some people need it.” I offered comfortingly. Liz’s red eyes flew up to meet mine. 
            “Is that so? So, in your situation, do you need it, or does Bailey need it, Jaylen?” Liz’s question had bite to it. 
            “Jaylen always wanted to get married.” Desi interjected. Liz’s eyes flew to those of her best friend.
            “Yeah, to you, until you fucked it up. Now, she’s marrying someone else.” Liz responded bluntly. “I wonder if Cass left any weed.” I made a face.
            “You don’t smoke.” I told her. She shrugged, and sat back. 
            “Yeah, neither do you. But here you were, smoking away last night. Unless that’s changed about you.” Desi looked at me surprisingly.
            “Wow, Jaylen, you smoke now?” She sounded like she wanted to laugh. 
            “No, I don’t, regularly anyway. It’s stressful here. I wish I could smoke right now.” I said. We all seemed to relax. I’d said something that we all identified with.
            “Yeah, I still don’t. I think it would probably help me feel better right now. You know, Cass smokes every single day now, but swears that no one can be addicted to weed.” Liz replied, and sighed again. 
            “Well, Lacy’s probably got some. Want me to ask her?” Desi said. I flinched at the mention of her name. I wondered if she was still sitting on that pier, gazing at Bailey as she went by on the jet ski. 
            “Nah.” Liz said. “Why is she here anyway?” 
            “Can we talk about this later?” Desi hissed at her friend. I looked up.
            “I can go.” I said, and stood to walk to the house. Liz stood too, and grabbed my hand.
            “No, stay. It’s like old times. Makes me feel better.” She explained. Looking at her red eyes, all I wanted to do was make her feel better. I reluctantly sat back down. 
            “She’s here because I asked.” Desi answered finally. “I didn’t want to be the only single person.” 
            “I would say that Claudia was supposed to be another single on this trip, but clearly, things have changed. I’m glad though, Aunt Margaret was really a b***h to Ava. They were the weirdest couple.” Liz sounded reflective. “Ava’s really cool. She came by the room to tell me last night that she was in love with Claudia and not Aunt Margaret, and she understood if I didn’t want to talk to her anymore, but she loves me.” Liz grinned, and then Desi grinned.
            “If I had to pick Claudia or Margaret...” Desi trailed off.
            “Exactly. Besides, Aunt Margaret will get over it.” Liz finished the thought. 
            “Well, that’s why I brought Lacy.” Desi answered Liz's question more thoroughly. “Companionship. Nothing more, nothing less.” Her words seemed to mean something other than what she was saying. 
            “Yeah, I wouldn’t f**k you either, Desi, if you wouldn’t shut up about your ex-girlfriend that you love so much.” Liz said. Desi rolled her eyes.
            “I swear, you must have had some weed, you won’t shut the f**k up. Have you been drinking?” Desi snapped. Liz laughed.
            “Wouldn’t you be drinking if your girlfriend left you? I mean, when Jay left, didn’t you drink?” It was clear that Liz was starting to feel the effects of whatever it was that she had. Desi got up and walked over to her. 
            “Elizabeth. Let me take you to bed. You probably need some rest. You’re being an a*****e.” Desi said warningly. Liz laughed again. 
            “The full government name must mean something. I’ll take myself to bed. Maybe you two should talk.” Liz stood up. I stood too.
            “There’s nothing to talk about.” I said to the both of them. “I’m just going to head back to the lake. Can I come by and talk later, Liz?” 
            “Yeah. It’ll be like old times. I miss that, the old times.” Liz hiccupped. “Bye Jaylen.” She started in the house, and Desi followed. 
            “Are you sure we can’t talk?” Desi asked quietly as we heard Liz drunkenly demolishing anything in her path. I nodded.
            “This isn’t the time or the place, Des. And honestly, I don’t really think there’s much left to say.” I glanced back to look in her eyes, the mirrors of her true inner feelings, and they looked wounded. I turned back around and went down the stairs without looking at them again. 


© 2009 perfectlymetiKulous


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

The dialog is crisp. the chapter flows smoothly. I am finally beginning to understand the story. For a while, I couldn't keep the characters straight. I keep waiting for the big bang moment in the story, but you have a way of allowing the plot to smoulder, a good technique the keeps that reader coming back for more, like me. Excellently written with beautifully flawed characters, like all of us.

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

I'm Loving It :P

Posted 13 Years Ago


The dialog is crisp. the chapter flows smoothly. I am finally beginning to understand the story. For a while, I couldn't keep the characters straight. I keep waiting for the big bang moment in the story, but you have a way of allowing the plot to smoulder, a good technique the keeps that reader coming back for more, like me. Excellently written with beautifully flawed characters, like all of us.

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

168 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on May 26, 2009
Last Updated on May 27, 2009


Author

perfectlymetiKulous
perfectlymetiKulous

In The Great State of, TX



About
good morning (and if i don't see you again) good afternoon/good evening and good night: for all interested parties - my name is Dana. i'm a sagittarius, if that means anything at all to you. .. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..