Life Is In The Details

Life Is In The Details

A Poem by The Rock And Roll Cowboy(REBEL WITH A CAUSE)

  

As life begins to age before your eyes

Every second becomes a New York minute

And with every blink a dog year passes by.

 

Before you know it the giggle of the kids

Turns into sighs of growing pains

And you don’t even recognize

The laugh lines on their faces

Or what makes tears pour out.

 

Good friends and favorite music

Become a foreign subject

As you become engrossed

In adult responsibilities.

 

The spouse is just another face

You pass on the busy street

With a simple greeting

As your rushing to the grind.

 

Soon you can’t recall

The last time you just sat and talked

About the little things in life

And achieving hopes and dreams.

 

When did you last explored

Each other’s anatomy

While intimate breaths

Merged together getting lost in space.

 

Trying so hard to give the family

Everything their heart’s desire

When in the end love is biggest priority.

 

Remember the smell of a rose

Or the feel of the grass tickling your feet?

Mother nature at its finest.

 

Can you recall the words to your favorite song?

Shouting it at the top of your lungs

As your imagination sings backup.

 

Have you ever read an epitaph

That said, “I wish I could have worked more”?

 

Sometimes it’s easy to forget

Life is in the details

Death is in black and white.

 

 

© 2008 The Rock And Roll Cowboy(REBEL WITH A CAUSE)


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

How incredibly timely this is for me. I was out of town this weekend and found many tears flowing down my cheeks. I was at a wedding ... a wonderful wedding of two who have been together since they were each about 13. This was one of those weddings that one knows should take place. They are each about 25 today. Trouble is I really do not know what my tears were for. My dear sweet husband said with nothing but love: "You are sappy." I knew that the tears related to the present joy, the sadness of life gone, the goodness of life lived and the yearning for things not experienced. But mainly I knew that the tears flowed for those Lifetime Marker Events. I knew that I wished to write a poem but was quite lost as it is not my typical write. Your wonderful work has given me some direction. Thank you.

Posted 15 Years Ago


6 of 6 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

this is almost epic in its scope of the human experience and has a profound impact on the psyche of the reader, so...well done on a beautiful write and as for my epitaph...."quiet please, i'm trying to sleep"

Posted 11 Years Ago


The Rock And Roll Cowboy(REBEL WITH A CAUSE)

11 Years Ago

Thank you very much.
I feel the pain of losing, and getting older, as I get older too...
Some think I'm still a young woman, or a girl... as tranciense is knocking doors...
This is a lovely and heartfelt depressed pearl, of how quick it can go, don't get me wrong sweet friend, love to know the other darker sites, of humanity. And you touched me honestly with honest words, no games, no bullshit, just being you. I loved it. You deserve my respect. Such a marvelous insight, in all your quill has spread out here.

E.L.

Posted 11 Years Ago


11 Years Ago

P.s. folks, I'm 30 years old... but live your life the fullest, it can be over any minute.... winkee.. read more
The Rock And Roll Cowboy(REBEL WITH A CAUSE)

11 Years Ago

Thank you so much beautelisa... Your review is heartfelt and right on... Yes life could end in the b.. read more

11 Years Ago

Yes, exactly. I do not give more energy to wasted energy, and malice I feel.... I have those feelers.. read more
what can I say about this...you have told everything in your beautifully articulated lines...I enjoyed with you the smell of the rose, the feel of the grass, the song of the birds,the murmur of the waters and the smell of the earth!! life in its short span - we should enjoy the blessings, the love because that's all that is eternal! and still we slog slog slog,money money money, whilst these all are fleeting...but we chase chase chase!!! strange is the irony; we know and yet we don't...your lines even though for sometime enables the casual reader to dwell upon these feelings...and thank you for that really :)

Posted 12 Years Ago


Just stumbled upon this today. It is so simply written, and the thoughts you express are universal, but you have managed to re-frame them in a unique voice. I plan on sending this one to a few of my loved ones.

Posted 12 Years Ago


[send message][befriend] Subscribe
.
brilliant..simply a favourite..for the truth

Posted 12 Years Ago


this felt new to me again; a reminder we must be reminded of - perhaps daily. the last lines are intense with the sense of urgency that details are the little things so easy to overlook but so big when immersed in.

Posted 12 Years Ago


I love this piece. It's straightforward, minces no words and makes one remember the things that made them who they are. I imagined myself proposing to my wife again after reading this (just the memory of it is priceless). Nice work, brother.

Posted 12 Years Ago


Sorry it took so long for me to review this. This makes me think of all the things we sometimes take for granted in life. It sucks to grow old, and I'm not even that old yet..... Nice write, Cowboy!

Posted 12 Years Ago


[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Tim
Your words give knowledge to the inexperienced and speak of a universal feeling at the same time. I learned from reading this. We sometimes believe others are happier if not luckier in their lives. Sometimes the truth is their not. It's sad growing older; even if your not married with children. Great poem.

When did you last (explore)



Posted 13 Years Ago


this is a heartfelt message painted with imagery that only emotions can see; logic and physical needs sometimes override what makes us human and connected to one another. This is about living with all five senses alive and engaged to its surroundings and relationships.

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

2770 Views
83 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 17 Libraries
Added on June 21, 2008
Last Updated on June 21, 2008

Author

The Rock And Roll Cowboy(REBEL WITH A CAUSE)
The Rock And Roll Cowboy(REBEL WITH A CAUSE)

It's better to be dead and cool than alive and uncool



About
Birth name: Dale Deadmond Born November 20th, 1969 Metaphorically speaking music is my BFF and poetry is my soulmate. This is my world of my favorite poets are E.A. Poe, Dylan Thomas, R.. more..

Writing