Life Is In The Details

Life Is In The Details

A Poem by The Rock And Roll Cowboy(REBEL WITH A CAUSE)

  

As life begins to age before your eyes

Every second becomes a New York minute

And with every blink a dog year passes by.

 

Before you know it the giggle of the kids

Turns into sighs of growing pains

And you don’t even recognize

The laugh lines on their faces

Or what makes tears pour out.

 

Good friends and favorite music

Become a foreign subject

As you become engrossed

In adult responsibilities.

 

The spouse is just another face

You pass on the busy street

With a simple greeting

As your rushing to the grind.

 

Soon you can’t recall

The last time you just sat and talked

About the little things in life

And achieving hopes and dreams.

 

When did you last explored

Each other’s anatomy

While intimate breaths

Merged together getting lost in space.

 

Trying so hard to give the family

Everything their heart’s desire

When in the end love is biggest priority.

 

Remember the smell of a rose

Or the feel of the grass tickling your feet?

Mother nature at its finest.

 

Can you recall the words to your favorite song?

Shouting it at the top of your lungs

As your imagination sings backup.

 

Have you ever read an epitaph

That said, “I wish I could have worked more”?

 

Sometimes it’s easy to forget

Life is in the details

Death is in black and white.

 

 

© 2008 The Rock And Roll Cowboy(REBEL WITH A CAUSE)


Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

How incredibly timely this is for me. I was out of town this weekend and found many tears flowing down my cheeks. I was at a wedding ... a wonderful wedding of two who have been together since they were each about 13. This was one of those weddings that one knows should take place. They are each about 25 today. Trouble is I really do not know what my tears were for. My dear sweet husband said with nothing but love: "You are sappy." I knew that the tears related to the present joy, the sadness of life gone, the goodness of life lived and the yearning for things not experienced. But mainly I knew that the tears flowed for those Lifetime Marker Events. I knew that I wished to write a poem but was quite lost as it is not my typical write. Your wonderful work has given me some direction. Thank you.

Posted 15 Years Ago


6 of 6 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Excellent points very well expressed. Liked this very much. The last two lines are fantastic.

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I agree with you 100%, the world is going so fast, but no one really takes the time to sit down and appreicate nature around us. I don't find this sad or happy, but inspiring and something people should realize before it's too late and they are on their death bed.

Thanks for posting

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I find this to be so sad. One who is lost and has forgotten the way cause of the fast pace of work, but in the end so hopeful at his thoughts of smelling the roses. He knows what he should be doing, taking the time to enjoy the smaller things in life. Thanks for reminding us of what really matters...

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

So true. Sometimes we get so caught up in life that we forget to actually live. We forget how wonderful life can be and to stop and look at the little things that make it so special. This resonates with me because My husband and I are working on getting our own business up and we've been so wrapped up in surviving that it seems there are days when we have forgotten each other. thanks for the reminder that life really is great, even when it feels like it's not. Really great poem!

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Dale,
wow, what a most insightful and touching piece. The old adage "Stop and smell the roses" is so very true. Before we can blink twice, we look in the mirror and do not even recognize ourselves. We have aged. So, your message is so wonderful. Live life, really live it. This is great!!

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

What a perfect picture you have painted with your words,
A life getting harder and more insignificant, by the passage of time, that is all our lives.
This is truly wonderful, I love it.
Well done


Posted 14 Years Ago


[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Bud
Yes, my friend, we're getting older. And with that...time inherently passes by faster. An Incredible piece that records the feelings and thoughts associated with the arrival of that mid point in life.

Posted 14 Years Ago


This is a fantastic read. It is so full of truth that it almost brings tears to ones eyes as they read it. By that I mean seeing it in writing somehow makes it more real, but this is what most of us do, We work, work, work and never seem to have the time to enjoy the things that we have worked so hard to obtain. Why do you suppose that is. I have given it great thought and yet I still do not understand the reasoning for it.I sometimes think that it is greed because we certainly donot need all the things we work so hard to get. We are a wasteful people, we buy things such as clothes, cars, houses, furniture etc. not out of need but out of trying to keep up with fashion, our neighbors,or just plain greed. Why do we never seem to get enough stuff. There are even commercials I have seen that are advertising containers to store things, They tell you to by the containers to store your stuff so you can buy more stuff. lol I don't know too many people who are not guilty of these things including myself. I lived a simple life when I was growing up because we were extremly poor and could not afford to buy anything other than the absolute neccessites and sometimes not even that but we were so much happier then, because we enjoyed nature, each other and simple pleasures as they are sometimes called. But we took time to smell the flowers.
This poem is so beautiful Dale. You have a great insight into these things and you know how to write about them to get others to notice.
I had better end this before I end up writing a book on the subject. lol

Another gem for my favorites.

Posted 14 Years Ago


Amazing piece. So very true to remind us to pay attention to the important things in life. Take time to smell those beautiful roses. Very beautiful sentiments about how time slips away while we are rushing about. Excellent piece.

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This was a powerful piece. Well done. PS

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

2770 Views
83 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 17 Libraries
Added on June 21, 2008
Last Updated on June 21, 2008

Author

The Rock And Roll Cowboy(REBEL WITH A CAUSE)
The Rock And Roll Cowboy(REBEL WITH A CAUSE)

It's better to be dead and cool than alive and uncool



About
Birth name: Dale Deadmond Born November 20th, 1969 Metaphorically speaking music is my BFF and poetry is my soulmate. This is my world of my favorite poets are E.A. Poe, Dylan Thomas, R.. more..

Writing