chapter 5

chapter 5

A Chapter by The Rock And Roll Cowboy(REBEL WITH A CAUSE)

The next morning Daniel called his friend at the Modesto Bee, Jerry Sonora. He asked if he could dig deep into the files On Gerald Alvarez On Any news articles and see if anybody named Jeremy came up in connection with him.

Jerry was reluctant at first but then agree after Daniel pleaded.
He wasn’t sure if Jerry would do it Because of the hard tone in his voice.

He sat at his desk tapping the pencil as he thought of what else he could do when his cell phone went off. He looked at the screen but didn’t recognize the number. He hit the accept button. “Hello”

page20image18240

There was a long pause before he heard someone say “ Daniel Ascot, Is that you, you little rascal?”

Daniel hesitated before replying. “Umm, yes it is. Who’s this?” “You don’t recognize my voice twiddle dumb?”

Daniel thought for a moment before it came to him “Twiddle dumb. Oh my God, Craig Pollard. How the hell are you doing you old Misfit?”

“Hey, Who are you calling old?”
“If the age fits, wear it,” Daniel replied and laughed.

Craig laughed too then got serious. “Look pal, I just wondering how are you doing? I read about what’s happening to you.”

“I didn’t kill her. “ Daniel blurted out.

“I know that, Hell we go way back. I also know how much you loved her.”

Daniel and Craig were like brothers when they attended Stanford University. Daniel studying journalism and Craig criminal law. They spent many a day partying all night. Craig always tried to set up Daniel with an easy lay but Daniel always refused because of his love for his girlfriend at the time, Jamie Holland. Craig always said how much respect he had for him because of his faithfulness.

Daniel sighed and tried to fight off the tears, unsuccessfully. “Yes I did.”

“I am so sorry,” Craig replied with genuine emotions. “Thanks,” Daniel said as he wiped a tear off his cheek.

Silence hung in the air for a moment before Craig said. “If there is anything I can do, please let me know.”

I appreciate that” Daniel cleared his throat. “So what have you been up to? A hotshot lawyer yet? Cause I could sure use one.”

“Actually, I’m a private investigator. I have a little office on Briggsmore Anenue. Pollard’s Investigative Services.”

“Really, “ Danielle said trying to sound happy. “ I will have to check it out sometime.”

“You better pipsqueak.” Craig chuckled.
Daniel laughed. “Now that’s hitting below the belt.”

“Hey look, I gotta go. I got a client coming in. But the offer stands. Holler if you need me.”

“I will,” Daniel replied solemnly. “Thank you.”

They disconnected. Daniel laid his phone on the desk and put his hands up to his face as he sobbed uncontrollably.

Just after Daniel got his emotions under control his cell phone went off. He looked at the screen to see that it was his lawyer.
“Hello Orlando. “ Daniel sniffed a couple of times.
“Are you okay? Orlando asked. “It sounds like you’ve been crying.”

“I have been,” Daniel replied. “So what have you found out?”

“Well first off I interviewed her friends and co-workers. None of them like you.”

“That’s understandable.”

Well, it is also bad for you. They all say you were controlling and constantly jealous.”

page22image12544

“I know but...”
Orlando cut him off. “I know you didn’t kill her. And I believe you. But with the constant arguing, Your Constant accusations of her cheating, and the fact that she was leaving you gives you motive in Police’s eyes. And no doubt it will be in the Juror’s eyes.

“Not to mention the fact that both Camilla and Cybil said you Came to their jobs, irate, looking for her.”

I wasn’t irate. “Daniel stated firmly. “I was desperate.” “In any case, it doesn’t look good for you.”

Daniel took a deep breath. “Look, can you do me a favor? Can you check out Gerald Alvarez and see if there is someone named Jeremy connected with him.”

There was a moment of silence before Orlando replied. “Why?”

I met this guy in a bar named Jeremy. He said he was Gerald’s best friend. He said Shari made a mistake when she identified him as the robber. He even threatened her, Said she will pay for it.”

“Look, I know you’re hurting and upset but don’t do anything stupid.” “The trial is in two days. “ Daniel said with urgency.
“I know, then let me do my job.”
I know, but..”

Orlando cut Daniel off. “But nothing. You need to stay clear of this case and everyone connected to it. Especially Jeremy. He is not a nice guy, to say the least. Besides armed robbery, he has two convictions for aggravated assault. He is on my list of people to interview.”

“So you know who he is?” Daniel asked sounding agitated.

“Of course I do. And before you ask, I will not tell you how. Now promise me you’ll stay away from him.”

Daniel didn’t reply.
“Daniel,” Orlando shouted. He lowered his voice. “Promise me.”

Daniel sighed. “Fine, I promise. Besides I don’t know where to find him anyways.”

Moments after ending the call with his attorney Daniel went down to Briggsmore in search of Craig’s P. I. Business. He looked up the address on Google.

It was located in a strip mall, lodged in between a hardware store and a sunglass hut. He walked through the door and looked around. The wall was painted blue; There was a picture of Clint Eastwood and a picture of a wolf howling at the moon.

“Pipsqueak,” He heard someone shout. He turned and saw Craig walking towards him with his hand extended. Daniel reciprocated and they shook hands.

“So what brings you to my piece of paradise.” Craig smiled.
“Well, it’s no Garden Of Eden, but then what is?” Daniel chuckled.

“You always had a lousy sense of humor. “Craig stated, still smiling. But that was always part of your charm.”

Daniel chuckled then his face turned serious. Hey listen, I need to ask you a favor.”

“Well that didn’t take long.” Craig said as he sat down in a folding chair.

Daniel took a folding chair facing Craig. “I need your help finding some information.”

page24image13720

“Shoot.”

“I need to get the last name of a guy. His first name is Jeremy, I don’t know his last.”

Craig leaned forward. “Okay. And how do you suppose I get it his last name?”

“Do you remember that guy convicted of robbing a bank named Gerald Alverez.?”

Craig thought for a moment. “That sounds familiar.” He looked Daniel up and down. “Wait a sec. isn’t that the guy Shari identified as the man who robbed the bank?”

Daniel gulped. “Yes.”
Craig crossed his arms and stared hard.

Daniel continued. “ This guy Jeremy is apparently is his best friend. I met him at a bar. This was before Shari was killed.”

Craig continued to stare at him, his eyes squinted.

Daniel went on. “Anyways, He claimed he was innocent, that Shari wrongly identified him.”

“So,” Craig said, continuing to stare at Daniel hard.

“ Daniel wrung out his hands nervously. “Well. He threatened to kill her.”

“And you plan on finding and confronting him.”
Daniel had a look on his face like a deer in the headlights. Are you out of your mind?”

“Look,” Daniel said loudly. “I’m about to go on trial for murder. “I need to find him. He might be the killer.”

Craig shook his head. “Daniel you don’t know that.” Daniel grabbed Craig by his shirt. “But he might be. ”

Craig grabbed Daniel by the wrist forcing him to let go of his shirt. “You need to calm down.”

Daniel took a couple of deep breaths as a tear rolled down his cheek. “I’m sorry. Can you please look into it?’

“I am,” Craig replied sternly. “Now go home.” He pointed towards the door. “And don’t do anything stupid.”

Daniel huffed then turned around and walked briskly towards the door shoving it open violently and walked out.



© 2023 The Rock And Roll Cowboy(REBEL WITH A CAUSE)


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

I love how you have tied in everything so far, its very linear, no hopping around or unclear scenes, everything is crystal clear and very well thought out and orchestrated, "dammitt Jim you're a poet, not a novelist?!? Well it doth appear you are a man of many talents :D

Posted 12 Months Ago


The chapter is adding to Daniel problems. He had few supporters. I liked how you make the chapter very detailed. The reader can see the situation. Thank you Dale for sharing the excellent chapter.
Coyote

Posted 1 Year Ago


The Rock And Roll Cowboy(REBEL WITH A CAUSE)

1 Year Ago

thank you AGAIN. I do try hard to make it as detailed as possible to captivate my readers.
Coyote Poetry

1 Year Ago

You did Dale and you are welcome.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

53 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on January 27, 2023
Last Updated on January 27, 2023


Author

The Rock And Roll Cowboy(REBEL WITH A CAUSE)
The Rock And Roll Cowboy(REBEL WITH A CAUSE)

It's better to be dead and cool than alive and uncool



About
Birth name: Dale Deadmond Born November 20th, 1969 Metaphorically speaking music is my BFF and poetry is my soulmate. This is my world of my favorite poets are E.A. Poe, Dylan Thomas, R.. more..

Writing