chapter 7

chapter 7

A Chapter by The Rock And Roll Cowboy(REBEL WITH A CAUSE)

Daniel was up and dressed by the time Orlando arrived. He was wearing a light blue shirt, dark brown suit, and a red tie.

“Well don’t you look sharp?” Orlando said after they exchanged greetings.

“You think so?” Daniel fidgeted with his tie. “I haven’t worn a suit for, Let’s just say, it has been a long time.”

“You should be on the cover of GQ. “ Orlando patted him on the back. “You ready?”

Daniel walked out the door with Orlando right behind him.

Before the trial came jury selection. It started at 7:45 and lasted a little past noon.

The trial began with the DA’ Samuel Garcia opening statement. He portrayed Daniel as a jealous boyfriend who viciously stabbed his girlfriend because she was going to leave him. He told the jurors how the knife with the victim’s DNA on it was found in the sink of Daniel’s bathroom washed off. He told them the accounts witnessed by the victim’s friends and co-worker off the arguments they had because of Daniel accusing her of cheating. Arguments that got loud and heated.

Next up was Orlando, He told to the jurors that everything the DA has is all circumstantial, Yes, the knife to stab the victim was in bathroom,

page32image15064

then pointed out why would the defendant take the time to wash blood and fingerprints off the knife off, only to leave it in the sink to be found.

He then proceeded to bring up a scenario that someone could have broken into the apartment. The area was known for that. And that the victim must have took the knife out of the drawer to protect her but the assailant took it from her and stabbed her to death.

Next Orlando talked about how the victim was a very beautiful girl that was continually hit on, and that maybe she rejected the wrong man who took offense so followed her home broke in, and killed her.

The DA’s called up Sergeant Phillips to the sand first.

When asked about the day in question Phillip replied “ Well, we got a 911 call saying they heard a women’s scream coming from apartment 2D, which is Mr. Ascot’s apartment. When we went through the door we saw no one in the front room. Then we headed to the room in the back and saw Daniel standing over the Victim’s Body. Upon searching the apartment we discovered a knife in the sink in the bathroom. It had been washed off. Daniel confirmed it was his knife. The lab did a swab test. It had traces of the victim’s DNA on it.”

“The victim being Shari?” the DA asked.”
“Yes sir. “ Phillips replied.
And did they check the knife for fingerprints?”
“Yes. There weren’t any. The suspect must have wiped them off.”

The Da then asked about Shari’s friends and co-workers. Phillip stated how anyone who knew the couple saw continual arguments that got heated and how Daniel continually accused her of cheating.

During Phillip's testimony, Daniel kept glancing at detective Sinclair. He had an uncomfortable look on his face and occasionally seemed to be lightly shaking his head.

page33image17016

When Orlando was up he walked through Phillip’s testimony to make sure he got it right.

“So your theory is Daniel stabbed his girlfriend, took the time to wash off the blood, then wipe his fingerprints off?” Orlando gave Phillips a hard stare.

Phillips nodded. “Yes, I do.”

“Okay.” Orlando walked up closer to the seat Phillip was seating in. “Well then tell me this. Why would he just leave it in the sink to be found?”

Phillips hesitated then said in a nervous tone. “I don’t know. I guess he panicked and got careless.”

Orlando paused for a moment then shook his head. “No further questions your honor.” He walked to the table next to Daniel with a little grin on his face.

Next up the DA called Shari’s best friend Cybil.

When he asked her about the history between Shari and Daniel she talked about the heated arguments between the couple and the private conversations with Shari where she told her how she was sick of his jealousy and his temper and how it scared her.

When Orlando cross-examined her he first ask to tell her about the relationship between her and Shari.

Once she was finished he asked her. ”So you were pretty tight then, you can almost say like sisters?”

“Yeah, you could say that,” Cybil replied with and smile then frowned. “So you guys had some deep conversations?”
“Yes, all the time.” Cybil looked down.

page34image14104

And in these conversations did she say Daniel ever threatened her?” Orlando asked as he stared at her intensely.

“Well no but...”

Orlando cut her off. “And during the arguments between Shari and Daniel did he ever hit or threaten her?”

Well no but...”

Orlando cut her off. “Thank you, I’m done with this witness.” He sat down at the table with a confident look on his face.

Next up the DA called Camilla to the stand. She gave her account Of Daniel coming into the bank desperate to find Shari. She told how he wouldn’t leave, that the Bank’s security guard, Ronald Ferro, had to escort him out.

“Well, at least I know know the Guards name,” Daniel thought.

“And did Shari ever talk about her relationship with Daniel?” the DA asked with genuine interest.

“She called it rocky. “ Camilla replied. “ She said Daniel was extremely jealous. Kept accusing her of cheating every time a man tried hitting on her.”

The DA hesitated a moment. “Did she ever talk about leaving him?” “Yes, several times. She said she couldn’t take it anymore.”
“And did she ever talk about her fear of him hurting her?”

“Camilla sighed before answering. “Well not in those words. But she kept saying how angry he got. That it sometimes frightened her.”

page35image12952

The DA Hesitated again. “No further questions your honor. “ He took his seat at his table.

Next Orlando walked to the witness’ seat. He rocked back and forth on his heels a moment before he spoke.” Did you Ever see Daniel Hit Shari? Threatened to kill her? Did you ever see Shari with bruises or a black eye?”

“Well no,” Camilla replied as she looked down.
“Did she ever say that Daniel threatened to kill her?”

Camilla hesitated a moment looking at the jury and then at Orlando. “ No.” She said quietly.

“No more questions your honor. “ Orlando took his seat with a prideful look on his face.

Daniel looked at him with a confused look on his face.

“The court will pick this up at 7: 45 tomorrow. “The judge banged his gavel. “Court is adjourned.”

Once everyone left the courtroom Daniel turned to Orlando. “What are you doing?” He asked with concern in his voice.

“What do you mean?” Orlando replied.
“You didn’t ask them many questions. You know really grill them.”

Orlando shook his head and smirked. “Daniel, this is not a courtroom drama on a tv show. This is real life. The DA hasn’t met the proof of burden yet. I am planting seeds of doubt in the jurors. “
Daniel had a blank expression on his face.

Orlando continued. ”I’m establishing the witnesses didn’t hear you

page36image13656

threatened her.” When the Prosecutor rests it will be my turn. I’m going to ask you about other possible suspects. Like Donald Ferro and how you saw him leering at her. And how Jeremy threatened her when you were talking to him at the bar.”

Daniel arched his eyebrows. “I thought you said you didn’t think he did it.”

“I don’t,” Orlando replied. “But we need to establish possible suspects in the juror’s minds. And I’m willing to bet the police never even looked into him. That you were the only suspect they considered.”

Daniel let out a long breath. “Okay, Sorry. I am just so nervous , and on edge.”

“Well,that’sunderstandable. But trust me and let me do my job. Okay.” Orlando stood up. “Come on, I’ll give you a ride home.”
Daniel stood up and they walked out of the courtroom.



© 2023 The Rock And Roll Cowboy(REBEL WITH A CAUSE)


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

I have to admit it certainly doesn't look to good on Daniel at the moment, but the motel beer guy should be able to confirm his where about that night before but he's got a lot of gaps where he's running around searching for her and it's not looking to spiffy for Dan right now..Orlando better be good at his job if Daniel is to trust him with it, or else Dan the Man is going down. lol

Posted 1 Year Ago


A very good lawyer. He showed Daniel wasn't dangerous. I liked the feel of real court room. The story is getting better. I love detail. and Dale. The detail was outstanding.
Coyote



Posted 1 Year Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

43 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on January 27, 2023
Last Updated on January 27, 2023


Author

The Rock And Roll Cowboy(REBEL WITH A CAUSE)
The Rock And Roll Cowboy(REBEL WITH A CAUSE)

It's better to be dead and cool than alive and uncool



About
Birth name: Dale Deadmond Born November 20th, 1969 Metaphorically speaking music is my BFF and poetry is my soulmate. This is my world of my favorite poets are E.A. Poe, Dylan Thomas, R.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..