chapter 9

chapter 9

A Chapter by The Rock And Roll Cowboy(REBEL WITH A CAUSE)

Orlando picked Daniel up at 7:30 and headed to the courthouse. “You look like crap. “Orlando said as he pulled out of the parking lot. “Gee, thanks,” Daniel replied bitterly.
Orlando gave him a hard stare.
“Sorry. “Danny said. “I didn’t get much sleep.”

“That’s understandable. But it will be okay. They don’t have anything on you.”

“No. It’s not that. I got a couple of calls on my phone. When I picked it up they just hung up.”

Did you recognize the number?”
“No,” Daniel replied sharply. “ And the screen said unknown.”

Orlando cleared his throat But Daniel continued before he could reply. “What is going on?”

“Orlando shook his head. “I have no idea.” Daniel just hung his head without a word.

“Maybe someone is obviously trying to get to you,” Orlando said with concern.

“Obviously. But who?” Daniel just stared out the window. “I don’t even know who would have my phone number that I didn’t have programmed in my phone.”

Orlando pulled into the courthouse and parked in an open space and turned the car off. Can you get me that phone number? I will see if I can use my contacts.” He opened the door. “Meanwhile were due in court.”

Daniel got out and followed Orlando to the courthouse looking left, right, then behind him before they entered.

Day two of the trial began with the DA Calling Frank Hardgrove, the cook at Perko’s to the stand.

“ So you work at Perko’s Café where Cybil works.” The DA asked.

page39image12672

“That’s correct. “Frank replied. He was fidgeting with his tie.

Can you tell the jury your account of what happened when the defendant went into Perko’s?” Gerald motioned towards the jury box.

Frank continued fidgeting with his tie. “I hate these things.”

Could you answer the question sir.” Gerald said sternly.

“Sorry.” Frank looked at DA. “I was behind the counter cooking a couple of burgers for a customer when I heard a commotion in the serving area. As I went to see what was going on, I heard Cybil call my name, So I went into the dining room and I saw Daniel Looking at Cybil, and helook flustered.” He hesitated a moment and played with his tie.

“What happened next?”

“Well I went over and told Daniel to leave immediately or else he will be trouble.”

“Did he leave?”
“Oh yeah. He left sulking. But yeah he left.”

“Now Shari would stop by often to visit Cybil?” Gerald was pacing back and forth with a confident look on his face.

“Yeah, She did.” Frank replied in a gravely voice then cleared his throat. Sorry, allergies are getting to me.”

“When she visited did you get to talk to her?” “On occasion.”

“And what did you guys talk about?” Gerald was looking directly at Frank then glanced bovver his shoulder at the jury.

Frank shrugged his shoulders. “I don’t know. A little of this or that.” “Can you be a little more specific?”

Frank cleared his throat. “ About the weather, politics on occasion. We joked about the customers sometimes. She talked about all the rude customers she helped.”

“Did she ever talk about Daniel?”

“Well.” Frank shrugged his shoulders and cleared his throat. “ Not much. But when she did she just said he was crazy jealous. And that maybe she should leave him.”

“And did she tell you why she didn’t?” Gerald turned to observe the juries reaction.

“Yeah, She was afraid he would track her down and kill her.”

Daniel stood up quickly. “That’s a lie.” He shouted.

“Sit down Mr. Ascot.” The judge ordered.

Orlando tugged on Daniel suit and pulled him into the chair “Calm down.”

“Calm down.” Daniel huffed. “He is lying.” “Let me take care of this.”Orlando whispered.

“No more questions your honor.” Gerald said and took his seat. Daniel could see a smug look on the DA’s face.

Orlando calmly walked to the witness stand as he looked at the jury. He stopped about a foot away from where Frank sat. “So you and Shari talked on occasion?”

page41image12424

“Yes,” Frank replied coolly.

“Did you ever flirt with her?”

Frank shrugged.

“Never flirted with her. Did you ever ask her out?” Orlando asked as he looked to the jurors.

“No sir.” Frank replied as he shook his head

“So, you're saying that you’re the only man in a five-mile radius that knew Shari but never asked her out?” Orlando glared at Frank.

“Objection “ Gerald stood up. “Relevance?”

“I have a point, your honor.” Orlando pleaded.

“Overruled.” The judge stated.

Frank just sat there silent.

“Answer the question.” The judge ordered.

Frank cleared his throat. “I guess so.”

“Are you sure you never asked her out?” Orlando stated with authority.

Frank remained silent.

Orlando continued. “I will ask again. “Did you ask Shari out? Did she turn you down?”

“No,” Frank said bitterly.
“I bet that made you angry?”
Gerald stood up “Badgering the witness your honor.”

“Move on.” The judge ordered looking at Orlando. “No more questions your honor.” Orlando sat down.

Daniel looked at Frank. He was beat red and huffing like he was out of breath.

Next up the DSA called Ronald Ferro to the Stand.

Gerald walked up to the witness stand “You are a security guard at the bank where Camilla and Shari work?”

“Yes,” Ronald replied, He looked nervous.

Did you ever converse with Shari?”

“On occasion we exchanged pleasantries.”

Did she ever talk to you about Daniel?”

Ronald shifted in his seat. “No. But I overheard her talk about him with Camilla.”

“Did you overhear what they were saying?” Gerald clasps his hands.

No. I just heard Her say anything about Daniel. She was sobbing.”

Gerald took two steps to the prosecutor’s table and then turned to face Ronald. “ Okay, let's talk about the exchange you saw between Camilla and Daniel.” He took two steps towards the witness stand.

Ronald shifted in his seat. “Well I was standing by the door, I saw a man come in. He looked familiar but I couldn’t remember from where. He walked towards the tellers and got in line.”

page43image12048

Ronald hesitated a moment and shifted in his seat. “ He then walked over to Camilla’s window when she was done with a customer. He started talking to her. He seemed frustrated. I saw them exchanging words. Then the headset I was wearing buzzed. That happens when a teller pushes a button because they need help with a customer giving them problems. So I walked up. When I got there I realized the customer was Daniel.”

Ronald stopped and cleared his throat. “ So I politely escorted him out of the bank.”

Did he say anything to you before he left?” Gerald asked.

“No Ronald replied sternly. “ But he had an angry look on his face. It was bright red.”

“No more questions you honor.” The DA went to his table and sat down with a smug look on his face.

Orlando stood up and sauntered over to the witness stand. “You also worked security at the Modesto Bee's function?”

“Yeah. Frank replied. “I wanted to earn extra cash. Why?”

“You were seen leering at Daniel and Shari at the function. Can you tell us why?”

“Who said that?” Ronald barked.
“Were you or were you not staring at Daniel and Shari?” “Objection your honor,” Gerald shouted.
“Overruled.” The judge stated frankly.
Ronald sat there silently.

page44image12752

“Your honor,” Orlando said.
“Answer the question. “ The judge ordered.

Ronald huffed loudly. “Because I was trying to figure out what she saw in that dirtbag.”

“Sounds like you were jealous.” Orlando stared at Frank intently. “Did you have a crush on her?”

“No.” Ronald snapped. “I just couldn’t understand why she would be with a guy that treated her like crap.”

“Did you ever ask Shari out?”
Ronald stared at Orlando with a snarl on his face.

“Did she reject you?” Orlando said forcefully. “I bet that made you angry?”

“Objection your honor” Gerald shouted. “Badgering the witness.”

“Sustained.” The judge stated. “Move on counselor.”

Ronald just sat there, his face beat red.

Orlando glared at Frank and then walked away. “No more questions your honor.”

Next up the da called Daniel’s co-worker, Phil Hughes. “You work with Daniel at the Modesto Bee?” Gerald asked. “That is correct.” Phil replied.
“Do you guys get along?”

page45image10264

I guess so.” Phil had a confused look on his face “Did you guys ever talk socially?”

Phil’ s eyes went from side to side before he replied. “ Yeah, on occasion.”

“Did he ever mention Shari?” Gerald looked at the jury to see if he has their attention.”

“Oh yeah.“ Phil replied, his lip was trembling.

”Did he expressed his concerns that she was cheating on him?”

Phil shrugged his shoulders. “He said he thought she might be.”

Gerald took a dramatic pause before asking the next questions. “Did he ever mentioning wanting to kill here?”

“He mentioned that she mad him made him mad enough that he thought of strangling her.”

There were gasps thought the courtroom
“That’s not true. “ Daniel stood up quickly. “I never said that.” “Sit down.” The judge demanded.
OrlandoTugged on Daniel arm to pull him into the seat.
“Sit down or I’ll have you removed.” The judge said forcefully.

Daniel face was bright red as he just stood there glaring at the judge, then Phil.
.

“He is lying.” Daniel sat there while glaring at Phil.

“I know.” Orlando”Said. “ now let me handled this.”

“Nothing further you honor. ”The DA said and went to the prosecutor’s table and sat down.

Daniel looked at Phil and saw him snicker as he glared at Daniel.

Orlando walked to the witness stand with a serious look in his eyes. “ So you say Daniel told you he thought of killing Shari?”

That’s correct.” Phil replied.
“And how well did you know Shari?”

Phil shrugged his shoulders. “Not really well. We had a brief conversation at a company function.”

Orlando glared at Phil and glanced at the jury. “ Would that be the function where you bragged to your co-workers claiming Shari came on to you?”

Shock spread across his face like fireworks on Independence Day. “I.. I um. “ he huffed. His face was bright red. “That was just a little, well you know.”

Orlando cut him off. “That wasn’t true? Was it.?”

“I. um.” Phil Pulled on his collar like it was choking him. “You know how it is?”

“In fact, didn’t she confront you about it?” Orlando stated forcefully.

“Objection your honor. Gerald shouted. “What does this have to do with Shari’s murder?”

page47image12080

“Sustained.” The judge ruled.
Orlando ignored the judge. “I bet that made you pretty angry?”

“Objection. “ Gerald said again.
“Sustained.” The judge said with conviction.

Orlando continued to ignore the judge. “Angry enough to kill her?”

“I..I” Phil looked confused, turning his head left and right.

“Objection. The DA yelled. “Your honor.”

“Sustained.” The judge said then pointed his gavel at Orlando. ”One more word out of you and I’ll hold you in contempt.”

Orlando just held his hand up and walked to his table and sat down.

Daniel just stared at him with a smile on his face.

Orlando looked at him and winked.

The judge banged his gavel. “Court is adjourned till tomorrow at 7:45. Counselor, in my office.”

Orlando stood up and followed the judge out of the courtroom.

Daniel just had to sit there until Orlando returned so he took out his cell phone to play a couple of games.

Once Orlando pulled out of the parking lot and they were headed down the road Daniel said. “So what did the judge say?”

page48image11120

Orlando shook his head and snickered. “Oh well, she wasn’t pleased with my antics. And the next time I ignore his objections she’ll hold me in contempt.”

“Thank you.” Daniel said quietly.”

Orlando looked at him. “ For what?”

“For defending me.”

“That’s my job. “Orlando faced forward to see where he was driving.

“I know.” Daniel got choked up. He took a minute to compose himself. “I just want you to know I appreciate it.”

“Orlando patted Daniel on the knee. “You’re welcome. But it’s not over yet. When I get you on the stand and ask you about any other people who might want to harm Shari Make sure you mention that Jeremy Character and how he threatened her.”

“Oh, I can do that,” Daniel replied and looked out the window so Orlando couldn’t see the tears falling down his cheek. He wiped them away with his right hand and faced Orlando. “Do you really think we have a chance at a not guilty?”

When Orlando didn’t reply right away Daniel said. “Honestly.”

“Honestly.” Orlando replied in a gentle tone. “We have a really good chance. I am 99 percent sure.”

After Orlando dropped him off Daniel went into his apartment and called a window company o to arrange for someone to come out and install a rear window in his car. They said some should be there in fifteen minutes.

page49image13616

While waiting he decided to call his mom to let her know how the trial is going.

“Hello, mom... I’m doing okay, how are you doing?... yeah the trial is going well.. My attorney thinks we will get a not guilty. He says the prosecutor hasn’t made their case...Exactly, I didn’t do it... I don’t know, the police don’t either. Apparently, I was the only suspect they were looking at... Well let’s get through the trial first, then we’ll worry about that... okay mom, you get some rest... Love you too.”

Once off the phone he turned the tv on and turned to ESPN to catch up on what is going on in the s world of sports.

Five minutes later there was a knock on his door. Daniel opened to find a man in overalls standing in front of him. He said he was from the glass company letting him know he was done.

Daniel peeked over his shoulder and saw the back window of his car was now solid sparkling glass. He paid the man in cash and thanked him.

Once the man was gone Daniel went out and got into his car. As free as he felt riding a bike it felt great sitting in a seat. He turned the ignition on. It took three tries before the car started. Daniel kissed the steering wheel, backed the car up, and headed out of the parking lot.

He figured his first stop would be Craig’s office. He walked in and saw Craig at the table talking with what Daniel figured was a client. Craig looked up; when he saw Daniel he nodded to him and went back to talking to the client.

Daniel took a seat next to the door while he waited. He pulled out his cell phone to play games while he waited.

Moments later he heard the door open.

“Pipsqueak” He heard Craig say as he looked up. He stood up and put his cell phone in his pocket.

Craig walked up and held out his hand. “What a surprise. How are you doing?”

Daniel accepted his hand. “I’m doing okay I guess.” They shook hands.

“Have a seat,” Craig said as he motioned towards them and sat down

Daniel did as instructed.

“Sorry I haven’t been at your trial. I’ve been a bit busy working on a case.”

“Is that the guy that just left?” Daniel asked.

“Yeah, “Craig replied. “He thought his wife was cheating on him..” Craig stopped talking and cleared his throat. “Sorry, I didn’t mean to.”

Daniel interrupted him. “That’s okay. “It’s fine.” “Anyways. I told him that she wasn’t.”

A moment of silence hung in the air before Craig continued. “So how’s the trial going?”

“It's going pretty well actually. Orlando has been doing a great job establishing reasonable doubt. He just dropped me off at my apartment.”

Craig arched his eyebrows. “Dropped you off?”

“Yeah well, the other day someone smashed the back window of my car out. I just had it replaced before I drove over here.”

“Wait, What?” there was concern on Craig’s face. “When did this happen?”

Daniel shrugged. “The other day.”

Do you know who did it?”

“Not really. I saw it when I went outside.”

Craig stood up. This sounds serious.”

Daniel stood up. “Relax. Probably some kids looking for a radio. You know that neighborhood, it’s not exactly Bellaire.”

Craig tilted his head. “Okay. By the way, did your attorney tell you he’ll be calling me to the stand as a character witness?”

Daniel shook his head. No.”

He figures since I’ve known you both since college I could attest to the fact you would never hurt or threaten Shari.”

Daniel's face was red, and his forehead wrinkled. “And what are you going to tell them?”

Craig shook his head and sighed. “ Just that in you were in a serious relationship, and even though you were jealous at times you never hit or even raised a hand to Shari.”

Daniel stared at Craig Without saying a word.

Craig continued. “I’m also will say that there is no way you would ever hurt Shari. It's not in your nature.”

Daniel huffed then took a couple of deep breaths. “Why didn’t Orlando tell me?”

“You’ll have to talk to him,” Craig replied.

Daniel just stared for a moment with a blank expression on his face then turned around and walked out of the office without looking back.

page52image13208

Daniel headed towards his house so he could call Orlando to find out what is going on, He was almost to his apartment when he changed his mind and decided to talk with Orlando face to face.

Once in the parking lot Daniel got out of the car and walked briskly towards the builds, flung open the door walked in, and made a feline towards Orlando’s office. He walked right past a desk with a lady sitting there typing. “Can I help you?” She said.

Daniel ignored hear and burst through the door and slammed it shut.

Orlando stood up from behind his desk. “Daniel, what are you doing here?”

“I want to talk to you.” Daniel snarled.

Orlando came out from behind his desk. “Okay. What can I do for you?”

“You can tell me what is going on?”

Orlando had a confused look on his face. “With what? Yourcase? I think...”

Daniel cut him off. “ Why didn’t you tell me you are going to call Craig to the stand? He just told me you told him you were going to call him as a character witness.”

“Look, Daniel, You need to calm down. Have a seat.”
“No thanks, I’ll stand.” Daniel huffed. “So why didn’t you tell me?”

First off. “Orlando replied in an agitated tone. “I just asked him what he would say about you and Shari if I called him up.”

“And when did you plan on telling me this?”
“I was going to tell you tomorrow when we meet at the courthouse.”

Daniel turned away from Orlando without saying a word.
“What’s the matter with you?” Orlando asked with genuine concern.

“What’s wrong?” Daniel replied, bringing his arms up and then down slapping the side of his legs. “What’s wrong? Oh, I know, nothing much. I’m just being charged and put on trial for the murder of a women I loved.”

Orlando took a deep breath walked over and placed his hand on Daniel’s shoulder. “I know. And I am doing my best to get you off.”

“I. Daniel sighed loudly. “I’m sorry. I am just on edge. And I. “He paused a moment. “I miss her.” He broke down sobbing uncontrollably.

Orlando walked next to Daniel and let Daniel lay his head on his shoulder. “I know.” He whispered. “I know.”

Once Daniel collected himself he left the office and drove home. Orlando offered to drive him but Daniel declined. He couldn’t believe all of the emotions that poured out f him. He loved Shari, but never imagine just how much. He was trying so hard to be tough like his dad taught him to be. He ignored the reality of it all. He was never going to see Shari again, never apologize for his stupid jealousy, and never tell her how regretful he was for calling her a w***e.

He pulled into the parking lot and parked his car, He took a moment, took a couple of deep breaths. He got out of his car, When he turned around to face his apartment his jaw dropped.

He blinked his eyes and rubbed them to make sure he wasn’t hallucinating. He just stood there a moment, Frozen in shock. Spray

page54image15120

painted on his bedroom window in bright red were the words I KILLED HER.

Daniel went to the hardware store to get paint remover and a scraper. As he was scraping the paint from his window thoughts were circling in his head. Is this Shari’s killer coming to brag about it or just some neighborhood kids having fun? Everyone in the apartment knew about his being suspected of killing Shari. Until now it was limited to people ignoring or glaring at him. Was this someone taking it a step further? 



© 2023 The Rock And Roll Cowboy(REBEL WITH A CAUSE)


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Loved the court scene, fantastic. I'm not so sure this Orlando guy is doing such a great job for Daniel though when folks are lying on him omg. The window scene is awesome and very creepy scary good, nice job.

Posted 1 Year Ago


Great detail in the chapter. I liked the hard questions. The lawyer is very good. I did enjoy the chapter Dale.
Coyote

Posted 1 Year Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

47 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on January 27, 2023
Last Updated on January 27, 2023


Author

The Rock And Roll Cowboy(REBEL WITH A CAUSE)
The Rock And Roll Cowboy(REBEL WITH A CAUSE)

It's better to be dead and cool than alive and uncool



About
Birth name: Dale Deadmond Born November 20th, 1969 Metaphorically speaking music is my BFF and poetry is my soulmate. This is my world of my favorite poets are E.A. Poe, Dylan Thomas, R.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..