chapter 11

chapter 11

A Chapter by The Rock And Roll Cowboy(REBEL WITH A CAUSE)

Orlando called Daniel back to the stand. Gabriel objected. Orlando argued he had the right to explain the arrest report. The judge overruled the DA.

“Orlando stood up and slowly walked to the witness stand. You don’t dispute that you were suspended from college for three weeks for fighting?”

Daniel cleared his throat. “No.” He said affirmatively.

“Can you tell the court and the jurors what happened?”

Daniel went into detail telling what he told Orlando yesterday in his office.

“So you were protecting a lady from getting abused?”
“That’s correct,” Daniel replied with a proud look on his face.

“Okay, “Orlando began to pace back and forth. “Let’s move on to the arrest. Can you tell the court what happened that day?”

Daniel again told the court what he told Orlando in his office yesterday.

“So you were being a good citizen protecting a lady from possibly being sexually assaulted?”

“That is corrected.” Daniel beamed with pride.
“No further questions your honor” Orlando took his seat.

Daniel glanced at the jurors to see if he could get a read on them. There were no tells either way on how they felt about his testimony.

The DA remained seated. “So Daniel, you are quite a hero to these women?”

“I guess you could say that. “ Daniel replied as he continued to smile. “And why should we believe you?” The Da Asked firmly?
Daniel looked stunned, and his smile faded. “Because it’s the truth.” “Where’s your proof?”

Daniel gulped. “I... I don’t have any.”

“So you are asking us to take your word for it?” Gabriel had a stern look on his face.

“Objection your honor” Orlando shouted.”

Before the judge could respond Gabriel said. “No more questions your honor.”

Daniel felt like the life just got sucked out of him.

Orlando called Craig Pollard to the stand.

Orlando approached the witness stand. “How well do you know the defendant?”

I would say pretty well. ”Craig replied. “ We were classmates at Stanford. We Hung out, we did a little partying when we weren’t studying.”

So you could say you know him well?”

Craig nodded. “We were like brothers. But after college went our separate ways. Then when I found out he also lived in Modesto I called him up. We Became brothers again.”

Orlando looked at the jury and then back at Craig. “ Did he ever talk about Shari?”

Are you kidding me? “Craig replied. “ All the time. I remember when He called me up after He got done interviewing her. The man was instantly in love.”

“How would you define their relationship?”

“It was great at first. They were inseparable. They never missed an opportunity to be together.”

“So they were the perfect couple?”

page67image11816

”As perfect as they could be. But as all relationships go, after the newness wears off there was friction.”

“How so?” Orlando looked at Craig intently.
“Well, Shari got hit on a lot. And Daniel got a little jealous.” “Did he think she was cheating on him?”

“God no,” Craig said loudly. Then in a lower voice. “ He knew she wouldn’t do that. He knew he was being stupid every time he accused her of cheating.”

“So maybe he was unsure about whether she was cheating?” Orlando asked hoping Craig could confirm his thinking.

“Well, not exactly,” Craig replied. “Like I said, he accused her, yes. But he would tell me later on what a fool he was being.”

“Was he worried that she might leave him?”

“Craig tilted his head. “He did mention it. He even mentioned once that he was surprised she hadn’t left him yet.”

Orlando paused a moment before asking the important question, “And did ever mention he would kill her if he did?”

“God no. “Craig exclaimed. “He loved her.”
No more questions your honor.” Orlando said as he took his seat.

Gabriel got up immediately. “So you say you’ve known Daniel since college?”

“That’s correct. A good friend I consider a brother?”

“That’s what I thought. “ Gabriel replied curtly. “And you know without a doubt that he wouldn’t kill Shari?” Gabriel asked in an aggressive tone.”

“Well, yes.” Craig stated confidently.

How do we know you're not just protecting your brother?” The DA made quotation marks with his hand as he said, brother.”

“Objection. “Orlando yelled.

“I’m not” Craig said before the judge could reply.

“Overruled.” The judge stated.

“So I guess we’ll just take your opinion as fact,” Gabriel stated with condescension in his voice.

“Objection,” Orlando said firmly.

Before the judge could rule Gabriel walked to his seat. “No more questions your honor.”

Craig returned to his seat behind the defense table. Orlando stood up. “The defense rests your honor.”

Gabriel.” The judge said.
“The prosecution rests.” Gabriel replied.

They moved on to closing arguments. The prosecutor portrayed Daniel as a jealous man prone to violent outbursts. Told them to not fall for his stories of being a hero to women.

page69image10576

Orlando argued the prosecutor didn’t prove beyond a reasonable doubt. All they had was circumstantial, and that wasn’t enough to convict him so they must comeback with a verdict of not guilty.

“Okay.” The judge said. He looked at the jury. The jury will now convene until they come back with a verdict.” He banged his gavel. “The court is adjourned until then.” He stepped down and walked out of the courtroom.

Daniel watched the jurors file out of the courtroom.
“You okay?” Orlando asked as he shut his briefcase.
Daniel sighed.” This is it. My fate is in their hands now.” “Pretty much.” Orlando picked up his briefcase. “You coming?” “What are my chances?” Daniel asked, his shoulder slumped.

“To be honest. “Orlando replied as he step next to Daniel. “I have no idea. I don’t believe they met the burden of proof.” He patted Daniel on his shoulders. “But, I’m not on the jury.”

Once Danny got home he plopped onto the bed not sure what to do with himself. He picked up his cell phone and called his mom to let her know the status of the trial, and to hear a friendly voice.

Once he was off the phone he laid on his back just staring at the ceiling. Finally, he decided he needed a drink. He drove to the bar where he met Jeremy. He was hoping he wasn’t there though. He got lucky. He was also glad the bartender he spoke to previously wasn’t at the bar.

He ordered a beer and sat at a table. He took a sip, sat the beer down, and got lost in his thoughts of Shari, The trial, and his poor mom. He

page70image15248

could hear the concern in her voice when she said she loved him and was praying for him. He hated what his being falsely accused was doing to her. He was afraid it would start affecting her health.

His this seat taken?” He heard a man saying.

Daniel was shocked when he looked up to see detective Sinclair standing next to his table. “Uh... Unfortunately not.”

Sinclair sat next to Daniel but didn’t say anything.

Daniel glanced at him and then took another sip of his beer. “Making sure I don’t run before they send me to jail?”

No.” Sinclair said. “I was heading to the grocery store and saw your car in the parking lot, so I pulled in.”

“ Oh, so you stopped by to gloat?” Daniel took a swig of his beer.

“Cut with the attitude. “ Sinclair sounded agitated. “Actually, I stopped by to say I hope they find you not guilty.”

Daniel looked at Sinclair with a confused look on his face. “Excuse me.”

Sinclair sighed. “You heard me. Correctly.”

Daniel snickered. “And why should I believe you?”

Sinclair took a moment to respond. “ Because I believe you’re innocent.”

Daniel shook his head and took another gulp of beer. “ And why should I believe you?”

Sinclair took another moment before responding. “Because I’ve been in your situation.”

Daniel gave him a quizzical look. “What?”

Sinclair took a sip of what Daniel assumed was water. “Oh, not being accused of murder. I mean of being overly jealous.”

Daniel just stared without responding to this revelation.

Sinclair continued. “When I lived in Sacramento I was involved with this girl, Maggie Winslow. God, she was beautiful.” He took a sip of clear liquid. We dated for 6 years. “Like your Shari, she was continually hit on. I got in their faces, threatened to kick their a*s if they didn’t back off.”

Sinclair paused a moment. “We continually got in fights. She said she could take care of herself. I tried letting her, but I couldn’t control my jealousy. Eventually she left me.”

“I’m sorry.” Daniel said then took a sip of beer.

“It was my fault.” Sinclair said. ”Anyways, that’s when I decided to move here.”

Daniel didn’t respond.

“I heard your love for her in your tone. I heard the sadness when talking about her death.” Sinclair took a sip of water and then cleared his throat. “ And I believed you when you said you would never hurt her.”

Daniel let out a sigh of relief. “Thank you.” He paused a moment as a realization came to him. “Is that why they didn’t call you to the stand?”

“B.I N. G. O. and bingo was his name oh.” Sinclair gave a quick smile. Daniel just glared at him.

“Sorry. Sinclair said. “It’s not funny. “ He sipped his water. They felt it would be detrimental to their case if I showed doubt.”

Daniel shook his head. “Christ.”

Sinclair patted him on the shoulder. “I gotta go.” He paused a moment. “Best of luck tomorrow.”

Before Daniel could reply Sinclair was out the door.

Moments after Sinclair left the bar Daniel sat looking at his beer stunned by the officer’s revelations. After he digested what he just learned he Left the bar in a hurry. In haste to get home, he nearly hit a car as he peeled out of the bar parking lot.

Once he got home he called Orlando and said he needed to talk to him immediately. Orlando asked him why. Daniel said it needed to be in person. After a bit of coaxing, he persuaded Orlando to come to his apartment.

“What the hell is so urgent?” were the first words out of Orlando’s mouth when Daniel opened the door. Daniel could tell he was agitated.

“Come in,” Daniel said Motioning Orlando inside.

Once in Orlando said. “Okay, I’m In. Now, what the hell is this about?”

“I ran into Detective Sinclair.” Daniel blurted out with urgency.

“Orlando sat on the couch but didn’t reply.

“Did you hear what I said?” Daniel was pacing back and forth.

“Yeah. I heard you.” Orlando paused a moment looking confused. “When? Where?”

Just a while ago at the bar on 9th street I go to.” Daniel continued to pace.

“Stop Pacing,” Orlando demanded.

page73image13456

Daniel complied. “Sorry.” “Was he following you?”

“No.” Daniel blurted, out. He took a couple of deep breaths while Orlando just stared at him. “Sorry. No, Apparently he was passing by the bar and saw my car in the parking lot.”

“And so he stopped by to shoot the s**t?” Orland snickered. “Is he your new buddy?”


Funny.” Daniel replied with an attitude. He went on to highlight the

conversation with detective Sinclair.
When he was done Orlando got off the couch. “And you believe him?” “Yeah,” Daniel replied firmly.

“Don’t be a dupe.” Orlando began pacing behind Daniel. “He was obviously trying to get you to drop your guard so you’d slip up and use something he could pin on you.”

Daniel turned to face Orlando. “But it has already gone to the jury.”

Orlando stopped pacing and look Daniel in the eye. “But they haven’t reached a verdict yet. Until then say nothing to no one. Not even your new best friend.”

Daniel turned and walked away. “Har har. You're a regular f*****g comedian. “ He turned around to face Orlando. “Is there anything we can do? Maybe go to the prosecutor.”

Orlando took a minute to reply. “You can pray.” Daniel let out a disgruntled noise.

Look, Orlando said calmly. “ I know you are frustrated and scared. “ He gripped Both of Daniel's arms to make them face-to-face. “I really think you will be acquitted. They didn’t meat proof of burden.”

Daniel jerked out of Orlando’s grip. “Yeah, but like you said, you’re not on the jury.”

“True. “ Orlando admitted. He paused a moment then patted Daniel on the arm. “Look. You just got to have faith. You’ll see. It will be okay. I’ll see you at the courthouse tomorrow.”

Daniel just stood silent with his head hung low.

“I got to go,” Orlando said then headed towards the door. “It will be okay, I promise.” He opened the door and left.

Daniel just stood there. A tear rolled down his cheek. 



© 2023 The Rock And Roll Cowboy(REBEL WITH A CAUSE)


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

I love it when people do that... promising everything will be ok when they have no clue, and that the s**t has hit the fan" heh...your court scenes are tight and the characters are so fleshy, I just love this story so far, "love, intrigue, action" it has it all the ears marks of a great short story.

Posted 1 Year Ago


I liked the addition of the lawyer having the similar problem. Again. I liked the pace of the story. Making every scene important. Thank you Dale for sharing the amazing chapter.
Coyote

Posted 1 Year Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

42 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on January 27, 2023
Last Updated on January 27, 2023


Author

The Rock And Roll Cowboy(REBEL WITH A CAUSE)
The Rock And Roll Cowboy(REBEL WITH A CAUSE)

It's better to be dead and cool than alive and uncool



About
Birth name: Dale Deadmond Born November 20th, 1969 Metaphorically speaking music is my BFF and poetry is my soulmate. This is my world of my favorite poets are E.A. Poe, Dylan Thomas, R.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..