chATE 14

chATE 14

A Chapter by The Rock And Roll Cowboy(REBEL WITH A CAUSE)

Daniel cried himself to sleep. He awoke to the sunlight on his face. He tried to imagine it as a positive sign. He never felt more scared in his life. His fate was about to be determined soon. His hands were shaking as he tried getting dressed. Just as he finished getting dressed he got a text from Orlando saying the Jury has a verdict. And he needed to get to the courthouse immediately.

Once in the car, he tried putting the key in the ignition. It took a few tries because he was very jittery.

When he arrived at the courthouse he turned off the car, took a deep breath, then said a silent prayer. He met Orlando on the bench outside the courtroom.

“How are you doing?” Orlando asked as Daniel sat down.
Daniel took a deep breath. “ I would be lying if I said I wasn’t terrified.”

Orlando patted him on the knee. “Hang in there. It’s almost over.”

“I know.” Daniel brought his hands together and rubbed them like he was trying to warm them. “It’s how it will end that terrifies me.”

Orlando didn’t reply. They sat in uncomfortable silence for ten minutes before the bailiff informed them that the court wabout to be in session.

As they took their seats at the defense table Daniel turned towards Orlando. “They came back with a verdict pretty quickly. Is that good or bad?”

Orlando looked him right in the eye. “To be honest, I have no idea.”

The bailiff introduced the judge. The judge walked in and took his seat. To Daniel, everything was in slow motion. His mouth felt dry.

“Ladies and gentlemen of the jury.” The judge said. “Have you reached a verdict?”

Daniel could feel his heart beating in his chest like it was trying to punch its way out.

“Yes, we have your honor.” The Forman said firmly.

There was a throbbing in Daniel’s head.

“What say you?” The judge asked.

Daniel and Orlando looked at each other. Daniel took two quick breaths trying not to hyperventilate.

The foreman looked at the form in his hands. “In the matter of the commonwealth f California verses Daniel Ascot on the charge of first degree murder we find the defendant.” He paused for a moment. “Not Guilty.”

There were gasps heard throughout the courtroom.

Daniel stood frozen trying to figure out if he heard them correctly,

“Congratulations.” He heard Orlando say.

He looked down to see Orlando extending his hand.

Daniel let out a long breath and took Orlando’s hand. They shook hands. “Congratulations”

“Oh my God.” Daniel reached over and hugged Orlando tightly. “Thank you.” He said softly in Orlando’s ear.

“Thank you for your service.” He heard the judge say. “Daniel, you’re free to go.” He heard the gavel bang. “This court is adjourned.”

Daniel couldn’t get home fast enough. He wanted to call his mom and give her the great news, He would call while driving but he had respect for the lives of others on the street. Once he got home he practically jumped out of the car when he opened the door and bounded up the stairs, two steps at a time. He burst through into his apartment and went straight to his phone. His hands were trembling. This time from being so ecstatic.

The moment his mom answered he starting giving her the great news. He talked so fast his mom told him to slow down. He took a deep breath and began repeating the news. His mom burst into tears. Once she got it together they talked a few minutes about what she has been up to. Daniel then told her he needed to get off and get some sleep because he was emotionally exhausted. Once he laid down it didn’t take long to drift off to dreamland.

page77image14400 page77image14560

A man sat alone in his home watching the breaking news. He was cursing the DA for blowing the case. He sat it up perfectly and they blew it. He was thankful he already had plan B in motion. He had to strike while the iron is hot. Actually this might work out perfectly. There was someone else he needed to eliminate, and Daniel would make a perfect fall guy for this one.

He swigged his beer and took a drag from his cigarettes. Yes he thought to himself. He could get rid of the threat to his brother and put the man who stooled the women he loved from him in jail, and hopefully executed for murder. 



© 2023 The Rock And Roll Cowboy(REBEL WITH A CAUSE)


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

37 Views
Added on January 27, 2023
Last Updated on January 27, 2023


Author

The Rock And Roll Cowboy(REBEL WITH A CAUSE)
The Rock And Roll Cowboy(REBEL WITH A CAUSE)

It's better to be dead and cool than alive and uncool



About
Birth name: Dale Deadmond Born November 20th, 1969 Metaphorically speaking music is my BFF and poetry is my soulmate. This is my world of my favorite poets are E.A. Poe, Dylan Thomas, R.. more..

Writing