CHAPER 15

CHAPER 15

A Chapter by The Rock And Roll Cowboy(REBEL WITH A CAUSE)

Chapter 16

Daniel awoke with a nasty hangover. He groaned as he sat up holding his head in his hand. He slowly stood up and journeyed to the bathroom. He splashed cold water on his face. His mouth felt dry so he cupped water in his hand and brought it to his lip and took a sip.

“Jesus” He mumbled to himself as he walked back to the bed. He sat for a moment when his stomach growled. He picked his phone up and turned it on as he headed towards the door. Once it came to life it let out a tone notifying him he had a voicemail. He entered a password to

unlock his phone. Once it became fully awake his phone app had a red symbol that said he had four notifications. He punched the phone symbol. There were two missed calls and two voicemails waiting. He punched the call symbol. As he expected the two missed calls were from Craig and Orlando.

He put the phone in his pocket and walked out the door. The morning light blinded him causing his head to hurt more than it already was.
He lugged down the stairs holding his right hand up to block the sun from his eyes. The car turned over on the first try. Daniel backed out of the spot he was in and out of the parking lot. He was hungry, and since Perko’s Cafe was out of the question he decided Denny’s would be best.

Once inside the restaurant, he was seated quickly. It was surprisingly slow there. He opted to sit at the counter. He ordered A grand slam breakfast from the waitress and a Pepsi. Once she walked away with his order he glanced around the restaurant then back behind the counter. He glanced at the television set. It said breaking news on the screen.

As the waitress came over and sat his breakfast in front of him he heard the reporter say something about the victim was a well-known criminal in the area and the police have no suspects at this time.

He was so hungry he didn’t care what else the reporter had to say. He shoveled two forks full of eggs in his mouth and then a couple of bites of the bacon on his plate.

Daniel devoured the eggs and bacon in less than a minute the dug into the pancake stack. He dosed it with blueberry syrup and gobbled it up in under a minute. He noticed the waitress staring at him weirdly but didn’t care.He got went to the register where he paid for his morning feast and added a two-dollar tip.

Once outside he fired up his car. He thought for a moment about where he should go next. He finally decided on going To Craig’s business and apologized for his disgraceful attitude yesterday. Before he could leave the lot a police car pulled up and stopped right in front of him. Within seconds two officers leaped out of the car holding guns. Daniel recognized them right away, Sargent Phillips and detective Sinclair.

“Step out of the car slowly with your hands in the air,” Phillips ordered

Daniel sat there, stunned.
“I Said step out of the car,” Phillips ordered, this time more harshly.

Daniel did as instructed. He proceeded slowly with his hands straight up in the air. “What the hell is this about?”

Phillips ignored his question. “Turn around and place your hands behind your back.”

“But.” Daniel started to say. “Do it now,” Phillips yelled.

Daniel complied. He turned slowly and placed his hands on his back. “What the hell did I do now?” Daniel exclaimed.

Phillips began cuffing him. “You’re under arrest for the murder of Jeremy Dillon.”

Phillips read him his rights, then he and detective Sinclair placed him in the back seat.

Daniel just sat there. He felt like he was frozen as Phillips and Sinclair entered the vehicle.

They escorted Daniel to the police station in silence. He sat in the back seat. He looked at Phillips and then Sinclair. He started to say something to them, demanding to know what is going on, but thought better of it and just glared out the window.

page83image11432

Once they arrived they escorted Daniel into the station and into the interrogation room. Once inside Phillips took the handcuff off and told Daniel to sit forcefully.

Daniel complied. Phillips took a seat across from Daniel; Sinclair took a seat to the right.

After a moment of silence, Phillips spoke. “So you want to tell us where you were yesterday?”

Daniel scoffed. “Well, I met Orlando and Craig for drinks to celebrate me being found not guilty.” He paused a moment and studied Sinclair and Phillip's faces. “ Then I went home to chilled out.”

“Chilled out. “Phillip replied sarcastically. “ Why did you need to chill out?”

“I had a disagreement with them.”

Phillips stared at Daniel for a moment. “ Would that be about Jeremy by chance?”

Daniel was shocked that they knew that. It showed on his face. “Huh, well yeah. How did.”

“How did we know that?” Philips asked sternly.

Daniel didn’t reply.

Phillips stood up and walked behind Daniel. “Because your attorney called us. He was concerned. he said you left in a fit over Jeremy because we weren’t looking at him as a suspect in Shari’s murder.”

Daniel looked up at Phillip towering over him and sighed. “That is true.”

Phillip went back to the other side of the table and glared at Daniel. “And you say you went straight home to chill?”

Daniel cleared his throat. “Yes.”

“Well, that’s interesting.” Phillip went over to stand in front of Sinclair. You want to take this detective?”

Sinclair hesitated a moment before speaking. “I went with Orlando to your apartment to let you know about Jeremy’s alibi.” He paused a moment. “He was in San Diego tending to his sick mom. We confirmed the Alibi. You didn’t answer the door.”

“So how do you explain that?” Phillip interjected.

“I didn’t answer the door because I didn’t want to talk to them at that moment.”

“Well, Orlando told Sinclair that your car wasn’t in the parking lot.” Phillips shook his head. “How do you explain that genius?”

Daniel huffed and crossed his arms across his chest like he was hugging himself. “I think I need my lawyer now.”

Daniel sat on the uncomfortable cot staring into space. He was lost in thought until the sound of keys clinging and a cell opening. He looked up and saw Orlando walk in carrying his briefcase.

Orlando took a seat next to him. “How are you doing?”

“How am I doing?” Daniel said a little loudly. He paused a moment, then in a lower voice. “How do you think I’m doing? I’m in a jail cell being accused of murder, Again.”

I know.” Orlando replied. “ And I am going to represent you again. But first I have to ask what happened?”

page85image13552

Daniel snorted and slapped his hands on his leg. “How the hell should I know? I had breakfast. I went to leave, next thing I know I’m being arrested for Murder.”

“Okay.” Orlando sounded frustrated. “Well, can you tell me what happened after you stormed off yesterday?”

“I went home and sulked like a child. Eventually, I went to the am/pm and got a case of beer, then went back home.”

Well, then why...” Orlando started to say.

Daniel held up his hand and interrupted him.” I know what you’re gonna say. I know you took Sinclair to my apartment. I was there; I just didn’t answer the door. And yes my car wasn’t there because I parked down the street so you guys wouldn’t know I was there.”

Orlando looked down as he shook his head. He looked Danny straight in the eye. “Okay,” He hesitated a moment. “ But that doesn’t explain why they found your business card near Jeremy’s body.’

Daniel was stunned by what he just heard. It took him a moment to let it sink in. Suddenly his mouth felt bone dry. “ Wait. What the hell are you talking about?” His voice was scratchy.

“They found your business card for the newspaper lying near the body.” “That’s impossible,” Daniel exclaimed.
“No. It's fact.” Orlando said in a serious tone.

“How the hell did.” A revelation hit Danny in the head like a ton of bricks. “Wait. You remember that someone smashed the back window of my car out?”

“Yeah,” Orlando replied.
“Well, whoever did that must have taken the card from the backseat.”

“Let me get this straight,” Orlando, said skeptically. “You’re saying someone broke into your car to steal your cards to frame you for killing Jeremy even though you were already on trial for killing Shari?”

“That’s exactly what I’m saying.” Daniel sound annoyed. “Maybe it was a backup plan in case I didn’t get convicted.”

Orlando stood up quickly. “ You have some imagination. You should write a book. That would be a great plot twist.” He snickered.

Daniel shot up out of the couch. “Well, then how else do you explain it?”

Orlando took a deep breath before replying. “Okay.” He looked Daniel right in the eye.” Then the million dollar question, who did it?”

Daniel turned away from Orlando.” I don’t know. It doesn’t make any sense.” He turned back to face Orlando and repeated himself. “ It just doesn’t make any sense.”

Orlando patted Daniel on the shoulder. “Well, you better figure it out. I will see you at the arraignment hearing in an hour.” He walked to the cell door. “Guard.”

Danny listened to the door open and then slam shut. Then slumped onto his bead. His head filled with confusion and despair.

At the arraignment hearing Daniel pleaded guilty. The judge sat the bail at 1000. Orlando argued that it was an outrageous number. But the judge would not reduce it.

Daniel did learn more about what happened at Jeremy’s apartment. There were signs of a struggle with Jeremy being shot dead with his

page87image14040

own gun. Orlando said he would arrange for bail but first had to attend to an important meeting concerning another client.

Daniel sat in his cell contemplating what has occurred the past few days. Someone has really gone to great length to destroy his life. But who it was is great mystery. He was a sports writer. Who could he upset that much to make them go to such extremes to destroy him.

The man sits alone in his chair smiling as he read the article about Daniel Ascot being charged with the murder of Jeremy Dillon.

He chuckled at the thought of hoe creatively diabolical this plan B was. His brother was now safe. His new Nemesis is dead, and most of all he finally got revenge on the man who stooled the woman of his dreams from him.

He laid the newspaper down and went into the kitchen. He took a pair of scissors from the draw then walked back to his chair. He picked up the newspaper and cut the article out of it. Then he walked into the kitchen and placed the article on the fridge with a magnet like he did when he was young. His parents weren’t around to enjoy his current artwork. But then again they never liked anything that he put on the fridge.

Daniel sat on the cot in the cell. He looked at his watch every minute. He had been in this cell for ten minutes.

“What the hell is he doing?” He mumbled to himself. He took his cell phone out of his pocket and decided to play games. He would have done it sooner if he knew it was going to take so long.

He was in the middle of bowling when he heard thesound of keys and a clink.

page88image16160 page88image16320 page88image16480

He looked up and saw an officer open the door. “You’ve made bail.” He said in a deep voice.

“It’s about time.” Daniel leaped off of the cot. He followed the bailiff through an area with five desks sectioned off by miniature walls.

Once they reached the door the bailiff opened it up and motioned for him to go through.

Daniel looked at the chairs on the opposite wall expecting to see Orlando, but only found one person sitting in a chair. Cybil.

Daniel had to do a double take to make sure he wasn’t dreaming, or rather having a nightmare.

Cybil stood up and motioned for him to come over. She was holding a book in the other hand.

Daniel walked towards her slowly like a cheetah stalking its prey.

“Wait.” Daniel had a confused look on his face, his forehead was wrinkled. “You bailed me out?”

Cybil nodded and shrugged her shoulder.

Daniel looked left, then right, and then stared a Cybil. “Okay, What’s the f*****g punch line?”

“Actually, it’s me eating crow.” Cybil took a deep breath and then let it out. “ And apologizing.”

Daniel’s eyes went wide as he tilted his head. “What?” “Can we talk outside?” Cybil nodded towards the exit.

Daniel followed her outside. Cybil sat on the bench just outside the door. Daniel sat next to her.

“What is that?” Daniel stared at the book in Cybil’s hand.

Cybil ignored the question. “I know you didn’t kill Shari.” Daniel sat there speechless.
Cybil went on. “But I think I know who did.”
“What?” Daniel arched his eyebrows. “Who?”

Cybil took a deep breath and then handed him something. “Here.”

Daniel took it. “What is this?” He looked at it. “Is this a diary?”

“Yeah,” Cybil replied. “It belongs to Shari.”

Daniel looked aghast. “Really? What are you doing with it?”

“Well, today I finally went through Shari’s things that she left at my house.” Cybil paused a moment. I wish I had done it sooner.”

What are you.”

“Hold on a sec.” Cybil cut Daniel off. “ I know it is supposed to be private, but since.” Shy began to tear up. “Since she is.” She gulped and wiped her sweater on her face.

“I know,” Daniel said in a calm tone as he examined the diary “Anyways, Check out her entries on the pages that I marked.”

Daniel opened the diary. There were three pages with a red strip on them. He looked at each page carefully, reading each one twice to make sure he wasn’t just seeing things.

He looked at Cybil. “Did you know about this?” His one was harsh.

“No,” Cybil replied in a raised voice. “I swear. It came as a complete shock to me.” She pause and wiped her nose on her sweater and sniffed. “ And I thought we told each other everything.”

“Sorry.” Daniel looked at the diary. “ I didn’t mean to snap at you.” “That’s okay. I think we are both in shock.”

Cybil waited. But when Daniel didn’t reply she continued. “I was thinking you should take this to the police. You can hand it to them. You know, be the hero for women.” She cracked a little smile.

“Thank you.” Daniel had a sorrowful look on his face. But then it quickly changed to anger. “But I have a better idea.” He leaped off the bench and walked away quickly towards the street.

“Where are you going?” Cybil shouted.
“To make things right.” Daniel said loudly without turning around.

Daniel walked briskly heading to his apartment. He kept glancing over his shoulder to make sure Cybil wasn’t following him. She wasn’t, or at least he didn’t see her. Taking that diary to the police would be a mistake. They’ll just say it doesn’t prove that he killed her. But his gut was telling him he did.

Once he arrived at his apartment he had to take a rest while climbing the stairs. He was out of breath. He couldn’t recall the last time he fast walked like that.

Once he got into his apartment he went to the kitchen and placed Shari’s diary on the table. He opened it up and started thumbing through the pages to see if there was a place for addresses, he just hoped if it did, and Shari wrote down the address of the man he was looking for. He had only been there once with Shari for a party, but wasn’t sure of the exact address.

page91image14808

This man tried to people think he was a killer. Now it was time he convinced that b*****d that he was. The plan was to convince the guy that tried to ruin his life that he was going to kill him unless he confesses.

He smiled wide when he found what he was looking for. Shari had crossed out his name and address but he could still make it out. He pulled open the kitchen drawer and pulled out his gun and stuck it in his jean pocket and bolted out the door.

Daniel walked briskly to his destination. He kept his hands in his pockets so people that saw him wouldn’t think anything of the bulge in it.

He has owned the gun for five years, but only shot it at the firing range when he first got it.

As he approached the house he was looking for nerves got the best of him. He walked slowly to the door. His hands were shaking uncontrollably.

He went to the front window and stood on his toes to take a look. The area that looked like a kitchen, it was empty. He didn’t want any of the neighbors to see him peering through the window and call the police so he went along the outer wall until he came upon a wood fence. He tried to open it but it was locked. He looked around and saw a ladder lying in the driveway. He didn’t know how he missed that when he was approaching.

It was a small stepladder. But it was tall enough to allow him to hoist himself over the fence. As he was leaping down on the other side he felt a pain in his hand. He looked and saw a tiny splinter sticking out. He pulled it out and went around the corner hoping to find a way in.
When he went around the corner it was luck be a lady tonight, there was a sliding glass door. The only question was it locked?

page92image17888

He approached the door and stuck his head just far enough to see if anyone was in the room. He looked around the room. There was a drape covering the first two inches of the door.

It appeared to be a bedroom. There was an unmade bed, clothes and trash stung about the room. He gently tried to pull the door open. He got lucky again, it wasn’t locked. Slowly he slid it open just enough so he could get inside.

The room smelled of a mixture of cigarettes and Mcdonald's French fries. He slowly walked across the room towards the door carefully, trying not to step on anything that would make s loud sound or trip him.

He pulled the gun out of his pocket as he stepped out of the bedroom into a hallway. He was holding his gun like he saw the police do the crime shows he watched.

Daniel heard a loud thud followed by a male voice yelling “D****t.” He walked down the hallway towards the sound.

at the end of the hallway, he peeked around a corner. It was a big room with a sofa and a TV sitting on a stand. Across the way was what looked like a kitchen, He looked at the floor. There the man was, bent over picking something off the floor.

Daniel raised his hand and pointed the pistol at the man. “Hello, Frank.”

Frank stood up quickly and turned around. The shock on his face was priceless to Daniel.

What the hell are you doing here.” Frank shouted. “ Shouldn’t you be in prison?”

Daniel kept the gun pointed at frank. His hand was shaking. “I’m sure that is where you wanted me to be.” He paused a moment. “But lucky for me I have friends.”

“So.” Frank retorted in an angry voice.

“In fact, you might know her well.” There was a small smile on his face. “Does the name Cybil ring a bell?”

Frank tilted his head. “ Cybil hates your guts.”

Daniel just shrugged his shoulder while keeping the gun aimed at Frank. “Well, it looks like I’ve been replaced.” He paused for dramatic effect. “By you.”

Frank scoffed. ‘Yeah right.”

“It’s true” Daniel tried hard to keep his hand from shaking. “It seems she found Shari’s diary. It made for some very interesting reading.”

“Oh yeah.” Frank shook his head. “Like what?”

“I don’t know.” Daniel was getting nervous. He showed in his voice. “Like how were obsessed with her. How you wouldn’t leave her alone.” He paused. “And how she was afraid of you.”

Frank just glared at Daniel, his nostrils flaring.

“You killed her.” Daniel blurted out. “Because you were jealous. And you tried to pin it on me.”

“You stooled her from me,” Frank screamed. His face beat red. “You deserve to die. Or at least suffer.” He started walking towards Daniel slowly.

Daniel began to back up. “She was never yours. You went on one date.”

Frank stopped. He had a cocky look on his face. “Thanks to you. I loved her. She was mine.”

You’re a disturbed man.” Daniel said as they continued to face off walking in a circular motion. “An now the cops will soon know it was

you. Cybil is delivering them the diary as we speak.” At least that was what he washoping she was doing it.

They continued to go in circles. “That doesn’t prove anything.” Frank's voice was cold and cocky.

“That’s why you’re going to confess.” Daniel cocked the hammer with his thumb.

“Or what?” Frank said defiantly. “Are you going to kill me?”

“Why not?” Daniel shrugged. “You may the police think I’m a killer. Why not turn your fantasy into reality?”

Frank smirked. “You don’t have the guts.” He made a step towards Daniel.

“You wanna bet?” Daniel tried to sound confident.

Suddenly Frank leaped forward and tackled Daniel. The gun went flying out of his hand.

Daniel writhed on the floor in pain. He tried to catch his breath. His head was aching badly. Just as he tried to regain his composure and stand up he heard a click of a hammer being cocked.

“I knew you were a p***y.” He heard Frank say. His vision was blurred by tears filling his eyes, but he could tell Frank had the gun pointed at him. “Now you’ll be a dead p***y.”

“Drop the weapon.” He heard someone shout.

He saw Frank turn around with his gun raised. Suddenly the sounds of gunfire filled the air. He saw Frank hit the ground right before he passed out.

page95image13408

Once Daniel came to his head felt foggy. He rubbed the back of his head and sat up. A young lady walked towards him quickly. “ Take it easy. You got a nasty bump on your head.”

“Tell me about it. “ Daniel replied as he tried to shake the cobwebs off.

“We're taking you to the hospital to get checked out. But first, the officers would like to speak to you.”

Daniel tried to stand but the lady put her hand on his shoulder. “You need to take it easy.”

Daniel grunted. “Okay.”

The young lady walked away. A minute later he saw Sergeant Phillips and detective Sinclair approach.

“What the hell were you thinking?” Phillips barked as they got to the bed where Daniel was half sitting up.

“What do you mean?” Daniel replied innocently.

“You could have gotten yourself killed,” Sinclair interjected before his partner could respond.

“I know.” Daniel let out a deep breath. “ He killed Shari and tried framing me.”

“We know,” Phillips said in a harsh tone. “And so you wanted to throw your life away for that scumbag?”

“You want to spend your life in jail?” Sinclair added.

“I wasn’t going to shoot him. “Daniel looked up and glanced at Sinclair then Phillips. “I just wanted him to confess.” He looked down.

“Stupid move.” Phillips replied harshly. “ You’re lucky we got here when we did.”

Daniel looked up. “ Don’t I know it.?” Daniel paused a moment. A curious look spread over his face. “What are you guys doing here?” Did Cybil tell you about the diary?”

“Well yes, she did. Phillips replied. “But we were already on our way over here to arrest Frank for the murder of Jeremy Dillon.”

“Really.” Danny looked surprised by the news.

Sergeant Phillips told Daniel about the tip that got called into the station by a lady that said she saw Jeremy arguing in a parking lot with a man Four days before he was murdered in the Rayley’s parking lot. They went over and the Shopping cart kid confirmed the story. He said that there was an argument between the man who was killed and a man that fit Frank's description. He also got the license plate number, which was registered to Frank. He also said that Frank shoved a kid in his truck before the arguement began.

“Do they know what the argument was about?” Daniel asked.

Not really. “ Phillips shook his head. “All they heard was something about Jeremy telling Frank that his best friend is locked up because of his brother.” He shrugged. “I don’t know how that could be.”

Daniel just shrugged his shoulders and sighed.

“Okay,” Phillips said. “You need to get to the hospital to get checked out and we need to clear this place and get back to the station to write a report.” He made a gesture for someone to come over.

A couple of minutes later two guys with a gurney approached, lifted Daniel onto it and rolled him to the ambulance to put him in.

page97image15232

Daniel spent two days in the hospital for observation. He was visited by Orlando and Craig who scolded him, then praised for his bravery. They agree to meet at the bar at the Doubletree Inn when he got released. He also got a surprise call from Cybil to wish him well and apologized again for thinking he killed Shari.

They meet at the double tree as planned. They raised their glasses as Orlando made a toast. “Here’s to your permanent freedom.”

“And for still being alive. “ Craig added as they clinked glasses.

Daniel took a sip and sat his glass down. “Thank you, guys.” He paused a moment. “Can you believe it? That man was obsessed with Shari.” He paused again. “I mean I can see why he was. But to go to those extremes.”

“The man was obviously unstable.” Orlando took a sip of wine. “So Cybil had no idea?”

Daniel shrugged his shoulders. “According to her no. She says Shari once mentioned something about going out with this guy one time, but quickly regretted it. Said she just did it to be nice.”

“And you believe her?” Orlando said in a skeptical tone.

“Daniel thought for a moment. “Actually yes I do. She seemed pretty hurt that Shari had kept it from her.”

“She was probably embarrassed.” Craig took a sip of beer.

Daniel raised his glass and smirked. “No doubt.”

“So how’s your mom doing?” Orlando asked. “She must be so relieved now that, well that you are cleared of both murders?”

“Hell yeah.” Daniel took a sip of beer and sat it down. “ Of course she had to lay on the guilt like only a mother can.”

Daniel's cell phone went off. He looked at the phone but didn’t recognize the number. “Hang on a sec” He pressed the accept. “Hello... Oh hello... what’s that?... When?... Okay, I’ll be right there.” He hit the end button

“What’s the matter?” Craig asked with concern in his voice.

“That was detective Sinclair.” There was a look of confusion on Daniel's face. “ He says He and sergeant Phillips would like to speak to me at the station, immediately.”

“Why?” Craig asked.

“I have no idea,” Daniel replied. He stood there lost in thought.

“You want me to go with you?” Orlando asked

Daniel came out of the trance.” Um, no.” He started towards the exit. “I’ll call you guys later.”

Daniel walked into sergeant Phillip's office to find him standing there with Sinclair and a man in a fancy blue suit.

“Okay, so what is so damn important?” There was frustration in his tone. “What do you want to charge me with now?”

Phillips spoke first. “Thank you for coming in.” He motioned t the unknown man to his right. “This is district attorney Milo Johnson. And of course, you know my partner Detective Sinclair. “He motioned to Sinclair.

“Okay,” Daniel said flatly.

Milo stepped forward and extended his hand.” I want to offer an apology on behalf of my office and the police department for what we put you through.”

Daniel reluctantly took his hand. “Okay.”

page99image14144

“And I believe sergeant Phillips has something to say as well.” Milo stepped aside to make a clear path between Daniel and Phillips.

Phillips step forward and extended his hand. “I’m sorry.”

Daniel accepted his hand. Okay, apology accepted.”

Phillips stepped back. “ And I’d thought you’d like to know a little more about Frank. You know an exclusive for your paper.”

“ And why would you do that?” Daniel shook his head.

“Well, first it is the least we could do after, well all we put you through. Plus.” Phillips paused a moment. “It would be a great follow-up to the bank robbery article you wrote a while back.”

Daniel let out an exasperated sigh. ”What are you talking about?”

Come here.” Milo motioned him to his desk. There were two photographs laying on them. “ Take a look at these photographs.”

Daniel looked back and forth a few times at each picture. “ So who’s this guy? And what does this have to do with the robbery?”

“The appropriate question is actually who are these guys,” Milo said matter of factly.

“What?” Daniel studied both pictures carefully. “Looks like the same guy to me.”

Well, that picture on the left is Gerald Averez.” Milo paused a moment. Does that name ring a bell?”

Daniel thought a moment. “Isn’t that the guy Shari identified as the guy that robbed the bank?”

“You got it” Milo replied. “Ant that picture to the right is Conrad hardgrove.”

zhsrdgrove.” Daniel shook his head. “I take it he is related to Frank?”

“Yeah. it’s His brother.”
Daniel fell silent as he looked at both pictures.

“They could be brothers.” Milo continued when Daniel didn’t reply. “Hell, even twins.”

“Oh, my God.” Daniel's eyes went wide. He felt like he couldn’t breathe at the revelation that hit him like a Mack truck. “Shari did identify the wrong man.”

“If afraid so. ”Milo replied sympathetically. “But in her defense, they do look a lot alike.”

Daniel just stared at the photo without saying a word. He felt a hand on his left shoulder. “Are you okay?” He heard Milo say.

Daniel flinched and turned to face Milo. “Ummm. Yeah. I’m good.”

There was a moment of uncomfortable silence before Milo spoke. “Anyways. After seeing these photos we went back through Frank’s account around the time of the robbery. Turns out he made a sizable deposit three days after it happened.”

“So do you think that is what the argument was about?” Daniel asked.

“We believe so?” Milo replied. “We figured Jeremy saw Frank with his brother, put two and two together and confronted Frank about it.”

“So he killed him to protect his brother and tried framing me?” Daniel shook his head. “I have to admit, he was a mad genius for a dishwasher at a restaurant.”

“True.” Milo shook his finger. He certainly had us fooled.” He paused a moment. “Well, that is all we wanted to tell you. If you do decide to do an article on it I will gladly give an interview.”

“Thanks.” Daniel smiled. “Well, I better be going.”

He walked to the door. Milo shook his hand and opened the door. Daniel walked out feeling happy and sad at the same time.

The moment Daniel got home he called Orlando, then Craig to let them know what he found out about Frank and the robbery he wrote about.

Next up he called his mom to reassure her that the ordeal is over. That the man who tried to frame him is dead and he has been cleared of all charges. That then led to a ten-minute conversation where she caught him up on what is going on in her life. From the repairs she has to do around the house to the funny things her dachshund Brownie did.

Next up he called his editor. William Philmore to inform him about Frank and how he would like to do a long-awaited follow-up story on the robbery.

The editor sounded like a kid at Christmas at the thought of how it could sell many papers, so he agreed to put it on the front page.

He then fired up his computer and began typing away. He felt euphoric being able to go from being in the headlines and go back to writing them.

Once he was done typing he turned off the computer and laid on his bed where he fell asleep faster than a jaguar could run. 



© 2023 The Rock And Roll Cowboy(REBEL WITH A CAUSE)


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

ah! well that ending totally blew me away! so That's why he lied about Dan on the stand and why Jeremy was nowhere to be found when he went looking for him. hope this review doesn't ruin it for others see the comments ...they should def take the time to read this, a great story, with awesome court scenes and all over a bang-up job...you should definitely write more stories!

Posted 1 Year Ago


The story getting interesting again. New conflict and situation. Awakening the story again Dale. Thank you for sharing the amazing chapter.
Coyote

Posted 1 Year Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

50 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on January 27, 2023
Last Updated on January 27, 2023


Author

The Rock And Roll Cowboy(REBEL WITH A CAUSE)
The Rock And Roll Cowboy(REBEL WITH A CAUSE)

It's better to be dead and cool than alive and uncool



About
Birth name: Dale Deadmond Born November 20th, 1969 Metaphorically speaking music is my BFF and poetry is my soulmate. This is my world of my favorite poets are E.A. Poe, Dylan Thomas, R.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


decuple decuple

A Poem by h d e rushin