My First Real Christmas

My First Real Christmas

A Poem by The Rock And Roll Cowboy(REBEL WITH A CAUSE)
"

for the Holiday memories contest

"

  

Oh the joys of

     The holiday season,

Presents and parades… food and jollies.

The source of many

     Fine memories

But there is one

That means the most… To me

So pull up a chair

Next a cozy fire

     As I tell a tale of

My first real Christmas.

I say that for it meant more to me

     Then gift wrap and stockings.

 

Once upon a time

When I was a young cowboy

My family moved

From Idaho

To sunny California

In search

Of a brighter future.

That very first year

As we established our life

And my father’s business

The money was tight

So it was decided

That us four kids

Would only get

One small present.

I remember mine,

A hand held electronic

     Football game.

It wasn’t much

But was happy to get it.

Most importantly

That year we shared

     Love and laughter

Over a home cooked meal

Then I played with that game

For hours.

We may not had much

     But we had each other

And we all enjoyed ourselves.

So at the ripe old age

     Of nine

I finally experienced

My first real Christmas

For it was the year

I learned the true meaning…

 

Family and togetherness,

The End.

© 2008 The Rock And Roll Cowboy(REBEL WITH A CAUSE)


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Cowboy,
I haven't shared with you something about me... I believe that I was a bull riding cowgirl in my past life!
LOL
One of the things that I loved about living in Texas was Billy Bob's and the cowboy's ... I square dance and I was on my first horse at 5 (I'll post the pics) My family, on my mother side, are ranchers & hunters and my aunt has a 7 acre ranch in Ohio! Of which I be visiting next week~ (SMILING)

This poem touches every fiber within my heart!

I love it, I love it, I love It!!!

Beautiful! Keep em' comin' darlin'!

Posted 15 Years Ago


3 of 3 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

I love a poem that tells a story and resolves it nicely like this one does. Hope you're having more memories made right now! Merry Christmas!
Billigami

Posted 2 Years Ago


The Rock And Roll Cowboy(REBEL WITH A CAUSE)

2 Years Ago

Thank you so much and a very merryy Christmas to you.
A wonderful blend of cherishing memories and the call to the deeper meaning of Christmas.

Posted 2 Years Ago


The Rock And Roll Cowboy(REBEL WITH A CAUSE)

2 Years Ago

Thank you kindly
MomzillaNC

2 Years Ago

You're welcome
Huge smiles, I was saying similar at Thanksgiving dinner that Christmas would be so much nicer if we just shared a wonderful meal this year and since everyone agrees it would be we have banned anything but home made gifts this year :D Im really looking forward to celebrating Christmas this year!

Posted 5 Years Ago


The Rock And Roll Cowboy(REBEL WITH A CAUSE)

5 Years Ago

That is a wonderful idea.
I too remember good Christmases of having very little. It's only as we grow older that the concept of "more" becomes the meaning od Christmas.

Posted 9 Years Ago


The Rock And Roll Cowboy(REBEL WITH A CAUSE)

9 Years Ago

So true, thanks for sharing your wisdom.
I find for myself, the most memorable Christmas was the one we had very little, and what we received meant far more than any gift I ever received after. I love how you have written this, reminding us all the true meaning behind the season and prompting the reader to search his/her own memory for one such moment when all was well with the world and nothing more was needed except family and togetherness. Beautifully expressed, thank you.

Posted 11 Years Ago


The Rock And Roll Cowboy(REBEL WITH A CAUSE)

11 Years Ago

Thank you so much... it is amazing how those kinds of memories are the most precious. If only more .. read more
Very cool Cowboy, you took me back because I remember that hand held football game... Mine was a hand me down from the older brother but I loved that game. A good memory embedded inside a good poem. Thank you for sharing

Posted 11 Years Ago


The Rock And Roll Cowboy(REBEL WITH A CAUSE)

11 Years Ago

Thank you sir for reading and sharing... it is the simple things that bring the most happiness. I s.. read more
[send message][befriend] Subscribe
MAC
what a wonderful heartfelt piece...my first read of you and WOW what an amazing write!!

Posted 12 Years Ago


I still love this :)

Posted 12 Years Ago


the age of 9, i find that most of us remember; it must be a turning point in our minds...my experience was the contrast but i won't poo poo on the spirit of this hopeful piece, thank you for being the light in a dark memory that i can shift the focus to a positive place - listening is caring - sharing is caring - thank you for sharing and caring!

Posted 12 Years Ago


this is a great memory and thank you for sharing it with me. I remember stringing popcorn and cranberries with my grandma and making home decorations and crafts with her. Baking cookies in the kitchen and on many of those occasion we weren't allowed to turn the tv over for she was "watching", or rather listening to Hello Dolly or The Sound of Music. My favorite memories are these and the fact that my grandpa would let us play with the train under the Christmas tree. That is what the Christmas and Thanksgiving is about to me. The being together. My mom would make paper snowflakes with us. We would have the whole house covered and she always made the time to play with us out in the snow. This poem has made me think of wonderful memories and that most of the years I don't remember the presents per say but I do remember the love and the family being together and smells for food.

Posted 13 Years Ago



First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1371 Views
35 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on November 18, 2008

Author

The Rock And Roll Cowboy(REBEL WITH A CAUSE)
The Rock And Roll Cowboy(REBEL WITH A CAUSE)

It's better to be dead and cool than alive and uncool



About
Birth name: Dale Deadmond Born November 20th, 1969 Metaphorically speaking music is my BFF and poetry is my soulmate. This is my world of my favorite poets are E.A. Poe, Dylan Thomas, R.. more..

Writing