A Blessing In Disguise

A Blessing In Disguise

A Story by The Rock And Roll Cowboy(REBEL WITH A CAUSE)
"

written for The Writers Nook contest.

"

       I looked around the room, nothing seemed unusual but then I caught a glimpse of something through my frosted kitchen window.  At first, I thought I was hallucinating from cabin fever, it was the dead of one of the worst winters seen here in Eastern Pennsylvania in years.  I was also unemployed for nearly two months so I spent most of my days indoors searching the web for jobs with no luck.


           I made my way to the window rubbing my eyes thinking it would wipe this delusion away but it remained. A blue jay was sitting in a tree at the edge of the wooded area behind my house.  It was impossible.  I still stood for what seemed like forever looking on in amazement.  “How could this be?”  I thought to myself.


           With the wind chill the temperature was in the minuses but I was compelled to step outside to take an even closer look.  Maybe it was a joke and someone put a stuffed bird in my tree though I could see it moving.  Again I thought it was just my mind playing a trick on me.  Quickly I grabbed my parka and headed out into the blistering cold.


           I walked as softly as I could so I wouldn’t disturb my illusion in the tree but the sound of frozen snow and dead leaves crunched beneath my feet.  Much to my surprise when I got to within twenty yards I could still see the bird through m frozen breath rising through the air.  At that point I could also hear it singing away like it was a clear spring day.


           I could feel the numbness setting in on my nose and the cold air was making it hard to breathe, but I was mesmerized by the phenomenon before me.  All was still and quiet as I just listened to the tune being sung. Then all at once the bird stopped singing and could swear it looked right at me tilting its head before taking off into the woods like a bullet from a gun.


           At that point I started back for my house for some hot cocoa by the fire while watching a good action movie but after ten steps I stopped.  Turning back towards the spot where the bird once sat I again questioned my sanity and wondered if this was all my minds way of dealing with too much isolation.  Whatever the case was something compelled me to head into the woods.  


           I began my descent into the bare trees trying to avoid loose branches and knocking more snow on my already icy face.  Again the only sound was that of the snow crunching and the twigs snapping from the weight of steps.  I ventured in for almost five minutes before stopping and thinking to myself, “what the hell am I doing?”  Everything was still and quiet.  I had to stop this madness within my imagination.  As I turned to go back a sound cut through the heavy air and echoed off the trees shattering the frozen silence like glass.


           Listening intently I again felt more and more of my mind was slipping away for the sound could not be what I thought it was. A woodpecker?  There was no way.  I cover my nose with my gloved hands and thought to myself.  First the blue jay now this.


           Despite my skepticism of my sanity somehow I was compelled to try and follow the sound.  I changed directions many times because the sound seem to come from many directions due to it reflecting off the trees.  My only option was to try and travel in directions that made the knocking sound louder.


           I had to have been wandering around for nearly half an hour when I almost zoned in on the source of the sound when something at the foot of a tree caught my eyes.  At nearly forty feet away it was hard to make out with my vision beginning to be impaired by the weather.  It was bright red and looked something like a backpack.  As I got closer I noticed movement from the object.  I got within yards before I realized it was a child curled into a ball.  The red was the jacket he or she was wearing.


           I slowly got up close and knelt down, “Excuse me are you alright?”


           A rosy-cheeked little boy looked up at me.  He had to be around the age of five and had on a red knit cap the same color as his jacket.  The boy just stared and shivered.


           “What’s your name?”  I said gently so I wouldn’t frighten him.  Still no reply.  “Do you know where your family is?”  He remained silent but did acknowledge me by shaking his head side to side.


           “We need to get you outta here.”  I took off my jacket and wrapped it around the boy and picked him up.  I prayed that my thermals and flannel shirt would be enough to keep my going long enough to find his mom or dad, maybe even both.


           He clung so tight around my neck that the hood of his jacket was pressed against my face nearly suffocating me, but with the current conditions it was a bit of a relief as well.  I began my journey not exactly sure of where I was going.  Again at the time I wasn’t sure why I didn’t just turn back to my home and call the police to take care of it, but something within me kept me going.   I stumbled several times tripping on logs because my vision was impaired by the weather and the young lad in my arms.  My legs began to feel heavy and I wasn’t sure how much strength I had to keep carrying the child.


           Suddenly by the grace of God I heard voices in the distance shouting something.  My adrenaline raced and it felt like I was flying as I picked up speed racing toward the voices.  


           “Toby… Toby!!!”  I could hear being shouted by two different voices, one was male and the other female.  


           A sense of relief washed over me.  I then caught a glimpse of a man in a blue ski jacket and knit cap.  “Over here!!”  I shouted as I collapsed to my knees.



           

           “We can’t thank you enough for finding our boy.”  The gentleman said as he handed me a steaming cup of hot chocolate.


           I sipped it not caring how hot it was.  “You are welcome.  I’m just glad he is alright.”


           “By the way I am Darin and this is my wife Charlotte.”  I exchanged handshakes with both of them.


           “I am Phillip,”  I replied through chattering teeth.


           “Well thank you again, Phillip.  Or do you prefer Phil?”  Darin asked.


           “Either one is fine.”  Still sipping the cocoa.


           “We are so grateful for…” Charlotte began to cry.  “I am sorry this is just…” she darted out of the room.


           “It’s been hard on both of us.  He disappeared this morning while playing outside.  My wife feels she’s to blame cause she was out there doing some chores and lost sight of him.  I tried to tell her it was an honest mistake.”


           “I am sure she will feel better now that he has returned.”  I tried to assure him.


           “Yeah, I am sure she will.  So tell me?  What were you doing out in the middle of the woods on a day like this.”


           “You wouldn’t believe me if I told you.  Let’s just say I am sure God was watching over your boy.”


           “I believe you are right.”  He quickly wiped a tear away.  “So what can we do for you?   We owe you big time.”


           “Forget about it.  I am just glad everything worked out.”  I took a big gulp of the cocoa now that it had cooled a bit.  It felt good traveling down my throat.


           “No really.  Please let me do something.  I have to repay you.”


           “Honestly the only thing I need is a job right now.  Been unemployed for a couple of months.”


           “Well what do you do?” he asked.


           “I am normally a mechanic but at this point I will do just bout anything.”


           “Seriously.  You know I own the service station over on Gerard Avenue.  You want a job you got it.”


           “Oh my God.”  I could feel a big smile cross my face.  “You don’t have to.”


           “It would be my pleasure, really.  I could really use another good mechanic.”


           “How do you know I am good?”


           “Well, you certainly got determination, that alone shows great character.  Say why don’t we get both of you to the hospital to get checked out?”


           As we stepped out the front door I looked up to the sky and said a silent prayer that God was looking out for me and that little boy.

© 2021 The Rock And Roll Cowboy(REBEL WITH A CAUSE)


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I thought I had written a review to this months ago. Perhaps this is the one that the computer crashed just as I hit the submit button. This is a wonder story and I am glad I came back to read it again. They say everything happens for a reason, and I do believe that.....your story reinforces that belief. Love the content, imagery, and the conversations too. Great job, Dale!

Posted 14 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Wonderful story, though three times the limit for the WE PAW prompt

Posted 2 Years Ago


I can't believe I've hardly read any stories from you in all these years at the cafe. Your story-writing is much better than your poetry, even tho I also love your poetry. This is so well-written & authentic. You pace it thru the events in a believable way, including a ton of sensory details that puts the reader into the scene, & yet not over-telling, keeping the storyline light & swift, so it's an easy read in today's world where people don't read the longer stories much. Your dialogue is well-crafted to sound realistic & well-used to further the storyline (((HUGS)))

Posted 2 Years Ago


The Rock And Roll Cowboy(REBEL WITH A CAUSE)

2 Years Ago

Thank you so very much
What a nice story of hope.

Posted 13 Years Ago


This is a great story with so much illustration using words. Keep up the good work!

Posted 13 Years Ago


Great piece... the only thing I would think about doing is adding in more commas. What should have been nicely rhythmed sentences seemed to just go on and on without them. It would help the flow of the entire piece, and make it seem more natural. Otherwise, this was wonderfully written.. I especially liked the last line.
Nice job. c:

Posted 13 Years Ago


I really like this! very well written! good job!

Posted 14 Years Ago


I read this some time ago but for some reason never commented. This is a really good story of the persistence of angels and their pupose driven existence. A heart-warming ending completes it's resolution nicely. Well done.

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Great story of how things just seem to fall into place as if by design. Good charcters with a heart warming plot. What more could a reader ask for?

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

i love it! if you listen to the song teardrop by massive attack while reading it brings it to a WHOLE new level. i love it darling!

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Great Job!!! I really like this one...it is uplifting and has a great plot. You have done it again! :)

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1466 Views
37 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 3 Libraries
Added on June 16, 2009
Last Updated on November 7, 2021

Author

The Rock And Roll Cowboy(REBEL WITH A CAUSE)
The Rock And Roll Cowboy(REBEL WITH A CAUSE)

It's better to be dead and cool than alive and uncool



About
Birth name: Dale Deadmond Born November 20th, 1969 Metaphorically speaking music is my BFF and poetry is my soulmate. This is my world of my favorite poets are E.A. Poe, Dylan Thomas, R.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..