The Hearts Of The Heartland

The Hearts Of The Heartland

A Poem by The Rock And Roll Cowboy(REBEL WITH A CAUSE)
"

For the Cowboy Up contest

"

 

Within every state across the nation

Is the backbone of America…

They are the heartlands,

All to often unappreciated

Yet vital to keeping citizens fed.

For it is where so much

Of our resources and nutrients

Are produced to keep us happy and strong.

These heartlands so beautiful by nature

But so harsh to the men and women

Working hard to keep it alive and thriving.

Even more unappreciated then the

Crops and livestock they tend to.

Without fail from sunrise to sunset

They work it to the bone

Not thinking of the costs or sacrifice,

Just doing what they know.

The blood and sweat that drips

From beneath those ten gallon hats

Is a show of pride in producing for a country

That often forgets they exist. 

© 2010 The Rock And Roll Cowboy(REBEL WITH A CAUSE)


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Bravo Dale!!! This piece speaks to my heart. My grandfather was a farmer and I currently take care of a gentlmen who farmed 30 years ago when it was much harder. We should all appreciate them and when we see thier tractors on the roads instead of getting frustrated with them for being in the way just wave and smile. Have you seen the new show on called The Last American Cowboy? Definatly a must see! Thank you for sharing :)

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Homage to the ones we so easily disregard and you do it so beautifully. A truly great piece.

Posted 13 Years Ago


Such a beautiful and true piece! So very lightly written but with so much meaning in the words! Wonderful job on this piece! :)

Posted 13 Years Ago


Such a powerful dedication to those who work so hard to keep us strong and well fed. I do so miss all the fresh produce and such from California. Used to have peach, apricot, apple, walnut, and almond trees in our backyard. The farmland was all around us. Thank you for this write!



Posted 13 Years Ago


I absolutely love this piece. We should all take time and appreciate our country and states like this write. Amazing, as usual! :)

Posted 13 Years Ago


This is so very true. i live in Illinois a big corn and soy bean state and many farmers work hard and get no reward. These hard working men and women in this nation deserve respect that they often don't get. Love this poem.

Posted 13 Years Ago


Very touching and needed writing.. I am not in the US but Canada.. sadly I see so many farmlands up for sale and being split up. Your ending is most moving and I wonder sometimes how many people weigh out the produce they buy (not saying buying other country's produce is wrong here). It's good (sometimes needed) to get a sale on items but also just as important to support our local farmers and businesses.. this writing was right on the mark! Brilliantly written!

Posted 13 Years Ago


Love it! Great job!

Posted 13 Years Ago


This is such a beautiful portrait of America. While reading this piece, I could easily picture the farmers at work. It is the effluence of the mellowness that runs through their souls, and their inner strength that carries them through the day of putting in hours of hard work. You captured all of this brilliantly.

Posted 13 Years Ago


Your recent writing seems to be transforming into slam... very cool. I've always enjoyed slam a lot. Great writing!

Good luck with the contest!

Posted 13 Years Ago



First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1126 Views
34 Reviews
Rating
Added on June 18, 2010
Last Updated on June 18, 2010

Author

The Rock And Roll Cowboy(REBEL WITH A CAUSE)
The Rock And Roll Cowboy(REBEL WITH A CAUSE)

It's better to be dead and cool than alive and uncool



About
Birth name: Dale Deadmond Born November 20th, 1969 Metaphorically speaking music is my BFF and poetry is my soulmate. This is my world of my favorite poets are E.A. Poe, Dylan Thomas, R.. more..

Writing