The Elf Who Stole Christmas

The Elf Who Stole Christmas

A Story by Chase Wolff
"

I was told to write a Christmas story in English using a list of 25 Christmas words.

"

“Ack smal gud iz ack smal hapi”. Elves follow this with passion, for it is their strongest belief. It is      Smal-lang (Elf Tongue) for “A good elf is a happy elf”.

                The elves are a peaceful, fun-loving beings. They live to make others happy and enrich the lives of everyone else. Elves are descendants of a small group of humans, living in what once was North America. Humans were wiped out except for a small few, of whom died due to excessive eating of poorly manufactured candy canes one Christmas. The elves now celebrate that occurrence every December, for it is the event that helped achieve their being. They believe those candy canes were keys to a better place filled to the rim with decorations and eggnog, and the humans turned to angels to flee to those lands. A sacred ritual is performed every December. The elves put one ribbon each on the grand Christmas tree, and sing the Christmas songs of their fallen ancestors. It is believed that this will one day grant them passage to the lands of the “North Pole”.

                This tradition brings the elves a sense of togetherness. They sing and cheer “Jangel belln, jangel belln, jangel tath tout wae”. The elves are always happy, and live lives true to the spirit.

                One terrible year, the elves were celebrating in crowds around the tree, giving greetings and goodwill, but trouble was lurking. There was an elf from a land of elsewhere, of whom did not believe in the holiday. He believed it to be a waste of winter, and sought to bring end to the party. Truly, he was nothing other than a Scrooge.

                He pushed past the crowds and made his way to the top of the holy tree. He prepared to make his announcement to all.

                “Ack Wintr n’iz pas ete usete liek thes! Holidayn n’int pas tath wae!” he cried out for all (“The winter is not meant to be spent like this! Holidays are not the way!”). He then pulled lighter fluid and a lighter that he had salvaged, from his backpack. He burned the tree, and it lit like a thousand flashing lights. Elfkind was shocked, some even outraged for the first time in their being. They wondered why anyone would do this to their ceremony.

                “Tretor ot tath Elfkun!” the elves chanted (“Traitor of Elfkind!”). Many elves were desperate to defend their holy tree. So desperate, that they followed their strongest believe, almost too literally. They believed doing something to save the day… would in turn bring them happiness. A few dozen clambered the tree, to put the blaze out with their own bodies. They burned and seared. The smell of browned elf cruised through the air. The elves screeched as their skin began to smelt and stick to the branches, but would not let go. Soon, all that remained, were cinders. The tree still raged violently in flames.

                The incriminated elf advanced on his evasion. He strafed past crowds of fuming elves. He was giddy and filled with cheer, for a fortunate mission, yet felt vacant inside. Within himself he felt as if there was nothing, as if to be without a soul. Slowly, he dropped to the dirt, onto his knees. His former happiness, had fell to a low, and then to the opposite. A new concept came to rise to the world that day, a sad elf. In his last moments he heard footsteps thrash in the snow behind him. The elf detoured his head and the uttermost thing he had ever recognized, was a woodcutting hatchet crashing down upon his face.

                Justice was served but the elves felt at great lost. Their holy tree and tradition ravaged. Bunches of their fellow elves, left mortified, and were cremated whilst still living. Perhaps there is no such thing as a miracle. Perchance there is no such thing, as a good elf. Merry Christmas.

“Ack smal gud iz ack smal hapi.”

© 2016 Chase Wolff


Author's Note

Chase Wolff
Afternotes:
I have been getting into conlanging lately (The creation of your own constructed language). I spent a VERY short amount of time (So this would NOT be normally be able to be spoken. Only spent about an hour and a half on this language) on creating the elf language of “Smal-lang” meaning “Language of the Elves”. I wrote up a script of grammar, pronunciation, and vocabulary (Relevant to the story).
______________________________________

The theme of the story is that not everyone follows the same beliefs as your own, and it is mainly aimed at religion. Religion causes bloodshed on either side of a religious war, and war is for the most part based off of religion, so... religion causes bloodshed in all war. However society is not perfect. We may believe we have a perfect society, filled with happiness and candy canes, but in reality everyone has their differences. Differences cause pain, and change among individuals… as shown in the previously always happy elves, turned to justice seeking, murderous elves.
Needless sacrifice is also portrayed. Soldiers in war are just pawns to defend against the enemy with their own lives, with no real success. This is not necessary! This is shown by the elves that sacrifice themselves in attempt to put out the flame, however leaving no impact at all, except for weakening the population.
In the end of a war, justice is typically served for the winning side. But at what cost? Men, women, and children die on both sides. Monuments are destroyed. Families are torn apart. There is no such thing as a victory in war. This is portrayed by the final paragraph.
Christmas is viewed as a religious holiday, for most. That is where the general idea comes from. You asked for a Christmas story, you got one (@My teacher)!

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

A great twist on a Christmas tale. I loved the line,
"Humans were wiped out, except for a small few, of whom died of excessive eating of poorly manufactured candy canes." I laughed and laughed at this, even knowing a sense of seriousness to this tale. I like elfdom.
There does seem to be a sad truth to this tale, innocence does not last forever. Sometimes ugly events invade pure minds changing the concepts of the meaning of life.
Very well written, and a joy to read.

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chase Wolff

7 Years Ago

Fantastic review, glad you liked it!



Reviews

A great twist on a Christmas tale. I loved the line,
"Humans were wiped out, except for a small few, of whom died of excessive eating of poorly manufactured candy canes." I laughed and laughed at this, even knowing a sense of seriousness to this tale. I like elfdom.
There does seem to be a sad truth to this tale, innocence does not last forever. Sometimes ugly events invade pure minds changing the concepts of the meaning of life.
Very well written, and a joy to read.

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chase Wolff

7 Years Ago

Fantastic review, glad you liked it!

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

346 Views
1 Review
Added on December 8, 2016
Last Updated on December 8, 2016
Tags: Elf, Christmas, Elves, Gore, Happiness, Conlang, Tradtion, Dark, Teen, Evil, Religion

Author

Chase Wolff
Chase Wolff

Sioux City, IA



About
ΩConlanger, attempting to flourish in a foreign world.Ω more..

Writing
Phonology Phonology

A Chapter by Chase Wolff