How I Met Your Mother :)

How I Met Your Mother :)

A Story by Dearantlers

 After having been married for 22 years, Wayne and Ann’s love for one another has done nothing but increase. Though, like every couple, they’ve had their hard times, their love has prevailed, and they raised four beautiful children. They work together on a farm, and love life. They always love to tell anyone who will listen about how this great love was started. 
     It was in the summer of 1990 when Ann walked into the LDS chuch a few minutes early hoping to find someone she knew to sit by. As she walked into the chapel, her skirt gracefully brushing her tall frame, she noticed her old friend from Utah State, LuAnn, waving at her from one of the back pews. She smiled and headed briskly towards her. Ann sat down in the empty spot next to LuAnn, and smiled politely as she was introduced to the rest of LuAnn’s large family. There was Bernard and Irma, Sherwin and Debbie, Lane and Loreen, Jarvis and Pauline, and Wayne was sitting closest to LuAnn. There were also about 10 kids staring wide eyed at the new visitor sitting next to them. As LuAnn introduced Shawn, Lisa, Cindy, Brian, Megan, and more she didn’t bother to say which couple they came from. Ann did notice however that about four of the children seemed to constantly crawl across Wayne, vying for his undivided attention . She sighed in disappointment. LuAnn hadn’t said anything about Wayne have a wife, but he obviously had kids, so he must be married. She had hoped that maybe she’d finally found the one she was going to marry. 
      Wayne smiled at LuAnn’s friend Ann. He couldn’t help but notice how pretty she was. He was also excited about the fact that she too liked cows worked on a dairy. The thought crossed his mind to ask her out on a date, but he immediately dismissed it, thinking that she probably already had a boyfriend. Maybe, later, if he found out the she didn’t, he might ask her. 
      It was the third week at her new church, and Ann noticed that Wayne didn’t have the usual kids with him. She leaned over and asked, “Where’s your kids?” 
      Wayne didn’t know what to say. “What kids?” he finally asked in confusion. 
     Ann’s heart skipped a beat. Maybe he wasn’t married. “The kids you always have with you. Aren’t they yours?” 
     Wayne laughed, his deep voice reverberating through the chapel. “Those aren’t mine. They’re my nieces and nephews. I’m not married.”
      Ann gave an embarrassed chuckle before turning to look awkwardly ahead of her, not noticing the war going on inside of Wayne. He was trying to decide whether or not to ask her out. LuAnn had mentioned once that he should, but he was afraid that Ann didn’t like him. Finally he made up his mind. “Are you doing anything this Friday night?” Wayne asked timidly. 
     Ann looked over at him in surprise, but also excitement. She replied, “I don’t think so. Why?” 
     “Would you like to go out to dinner?” There, he’d said it. He waited anxiously for her answer. 
      “Of course!” Ann replied with excitement. He’d asked her! 
      Friday night finally came, and both Wayne and Ann were excited, yet nervous. He took her to a small restaurant about a half hour away called Don’s Café. The initial awkward silence was broke with questions like what each other did in their free time, but they soon learned that it was rather easy to talk to one other. Soon both were talking non-stop as they waited for their food. Only the delicious steak could quiet them. After dinner, Wayne drove Ann around Gunnison, the number one hit song, Just Another Day in Paradise, playing on the radio. He also drove her out to see his house and farm, but it was too dark to see anything. He finally dropped her off late at night, and they both regretted that the night had to end. 
      Every week to two weeks, Wayne would take her on a date. Most dates were in the mountains. They would go on horse or jeep rides, fishing, or just hiking. Sometimes, the nieces and nephews would tag along, making sure to make as many awkward moments as possible, as most children do. Once while on a horse ride, Ann’s saddle became loose, and slid onto the horses belly, making her fall off. After tightening the saddle back up, Wayne got worried that she wouldn’t want to ride anymore, but Ann just got back up, laughing. If anything, it made her love riding more. 
     Finally, after just getting home from a date about two months after they met, Wayne leaned gently over to the unsuspecting Ann, and kissed her gently. After over the initial surprise, she smiled happily at Wayne, knowing that this was the beginning to a long and happy relation ship. 
     Two months later after just getting back from a jeep ride, Wayne got out and opened the door for Ann. He kissed her gently, and she smiled, said goodbye, and headed toward her house. She was halfway there when Wayne asked her to wait. She turned around and stared in confusion at the way he fidgeted, obviously nervous. He walked up to her, took her hand, and asked quietly, “Will you marry me?”
       Without hesitation, tears starting to run gently down her face, Ann whispered, “Yes.” 
      Every summer for the next 22 years have been filled with horse and jeep rides, fishing and hiking. Pesky nieces and nephews have been replaced with children, and even a son-in-law. Many things have changed from the summer that they first met, but the one thing that hasn’t changed is their love.

© 2013 Dearantlers


Author's Note

Dearantlers
The story of when my parents met. I had to write it for an English assignment.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Ah how cute! The best love stories happen in real life :) My parents met on a blind date set up by my dad's sister who was friends with my mom, and he was the first guy to give her roses, but I guess when we lived in Gunnison my dad told people he met her hitch hiking from Texas to Utah and he gave her a ride! Yeah... my mom didn't quite like that :)

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Dearantlers

10 Years Ago

That's awesome! Thanks so much foe the review!
LunarSong

10 Years Ago

I know it's kinda funny :) you're welcome



Reviews

So adorable! So cute! Ah, true love is hard to find. Glad your parents found it.
lissalovesyou:)

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Dearantlers

10 Years Ago

Thanks so much!
Ah how cute! The best love stories happen in real life :) My parents met on a blind date set up by my dad's sister who was friends with my mom, and he was the first guy to give her roses, but I guess when we lived in Gunnison my dad told people he met her hitch hiking from Texas to Utah and he gave her a ride! Yeah... my mom didn't quite like that :)

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Dearantlers

10 Years Ago

That's awesome! Thanks so much foe the review!
LunarSong

10 Years Ago

I know it's kinda funny :) you're welcome
aww... That was sweet :)
Godji Bless you n ur family :) :)

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Dearantlers

11 Years Ago

Thanks so much!

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

312 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on April 16, 2013
Last Updated on May 18, 2013

Author

Dearantlers
Dearantlers

Where unicorns roam wild, dragons soar overhead, and pickles sing



About
I'm either a girl or a boy. I live somewhere. I like to read and write, though I'm sure you figured that one out since I'm on writerscafe. As of when I'm writing this, I'm 8672487 minutes old. Never m.. more..

Writing