Rosa.

Rosa.

A Story by Deeksha

Julian was real happy. He was ecstatic. It was his wedding anniversary today! It had been ten years since he had been married to his love. His Rosa. He loved her so much. He was sitting at work, and was booking tickets to the the movies. Rosa loved the movies. He made sure he got the best seats. Only the best was good enough for her. For Rosa.

He slid open his table drawer to remove a picture of theirs at the wedding. She’s beautiful, he thought. Her smile, it almost made him cry. His beautiful Rosa.

He decided to take the day off. He wanted to spend sometime with her. He wanted to spend his entire life with her. Before he left, he made sure the tickets were booked. He also had to make reservations at Rosa’s favourite restaurant. At Moulin Rouge. Rosa loved it there. She loved the dancing. She loved every bit of the fun they’d had at the Moulin Rouge. They went there even on their first date. Moulin Rougue had made Julian’s life beautiful. He made reservations at their favourite seats. The man he spoke to knew Julian well. The man seemed perturbed by Julian’s call, Julian wondered why. Probably because it had been quite a while since they had been there or maybe its just his wife’s illness that bothers him.

He thought for long how horrible it’d feel to have one’s wife ill. He couldn’t bear to think about it for one more minute. He left work. He went to his boss, to ask for leave. He told him it was his tenth wedding anniversary. His boss, his face full of pity, gave Julian leave.

Julian entered the elevator. He saw Tommy there. Tommy was getting married. Julian was to be his Best Man. Julian was very excited for him. He decided that he would buy a trinket for Rosa on the way back home from Tiffany’s. Rosa loved Tifanny’s. He got her a locket from there once. She wore it all the time. She said it made her feel special. She was special. His Rosa was very special.

He walked out of Tifanny’s a happier man. He had bought something beautiful. Not as beautiful as Rosa. Rosa’s beauty was beyond compare. It was already 3 o’ clock. The movie started at 6. The reservations at Moulin Rouge were at 9. He would have to get home quick.

He was walking along and he met Roxanne. She was Rosa’s best friend. She saw him smiled and continued to walk. Julian felt awkward. She could’ve at least wished me a happy anniversary, he thought. He decided he’d speak to her anyway.

“How’re you doing Roxanne? It’s been quite a while since you’ve dropped home.”

“Yeah.. It has, hasn’t it? Somehow, I just don’t feel like it anymore. It reminds me of…” Julian’s phone started to ring.

“I’m sorry, I’ll have to take this call”

“Maybe we’ll talk later then.” Roxanne said.

“Sure thing”

“Hello?” “Oh! Maria! You’ve to go? Alright, but be sure to be back in an hour. I’ll be home by then.”

It was Julian’s home maid, Maria. She had to go over to her son’s school for something. Maria was a wonderful cook. Rosa loved her Macaroni. She really liked Maria as well. They were both very good friends.

He decided he wanted to do something special for Rosa. His lovely Rosa. He just didn’t know what! He decided to think of something on his way home. 

He then knew the perfect gift.

He entered the store. The hoarding on their building said “Freeze precious moments.” That was perfect. Perfect for his Rosa. He removed the picture of their wedding . He was smiling again. Rosa was so beautiful. His life was so beautiful. He handed over the picture to the smiley lady at the counter, paid the advance and said he’d be back in half hour to pick it up. He smiled. He thought of Rosa and was on his way outside when he suddenly realized that he hadn’t been to the Florist yet. He felt like hitting himself. How could he have forgotten about the Florist?

The Flowers & Ferns wasn’t too far away. He got there in about fifteen minutes. It was Rosa’s favourite Florist. Rosa loved flowers. Rosa loved roses.

The store owner, the old man, was quite startled to see Julian. The old man also felt sorry for him. Julian asked him for the usual.

“Pink roses it is!” “As always!”

He sounded quite worried and asked Julian, “How are you feeling now, Son. Is everything alright?”

“Of course everything is alright. My life is beautiful.”

“Why, that’s great to hear.”

“I’m in a hurry. Maybe we can speak later.”, Julian said and hasted out.

The old man still did seem worried. “That poor lad”, he said.

Julian was running now. He knew he’d be late if he didn’t. He was even running across the streets, risking being killed by one of the speeding cars. But, he did it. He did it for Rosa.

He reached the Photo Store. He looked at it. He looked at the very-well-framed, enlarged picture. Rosa was beautiful.Rosa is beautiful. Her smile made him smile. He looked at the lady at the counter, still smiling. He saw a genuine smile this time.

“She’s beautiful, isn’t she?”

“Yes, Sir. Yes, she is very beautiful”

“Thank you”, Julian said, paid the remainder of the money and left.

He was home in about twenty minutes. He was glad he made it in time. He was excited. Very excited. As he climbed up the staircase, a queer feeling came over him. He just shrugged it off. Knocked on the door. Knocked some more. No one answered.

“That’s strange. Why isn’t she getting the door?” He looked for the spare keys in his pocket, unlocked the door and entered.

“Rosa?”

He looked for her. She wasn’t there. She must’ve gone to the grocery story, he supposed. He thought he’d clean up the house and maybe even decorate it a little. He looked for the tidings. All in pink. Just the way Rosa liked it. Rosa loved pink.

There was a knock on the door. He knew it was Rosa. It had to be. He opened the door and screamed, “Happy Anniversary, Dear!”

It was Maria.

“Oh! I’m sorry Maria.” “Do you know where Rosa is? I’ve got plans today. But don’t tell her. I want to see the look on her face!”

“Oh Julian!”

“What is it Maria? You seem so..”

“Julian, it’s been three years”

“Three years? What are you talking about? .. Do you know where Rosa is?”

“No, Julian. Do you?”

“No, Of course I don’t. I’ve been waiting for her so long!”

“Let me show you something, Julian”

She led him to the window. The window faced a Small garden. The garden was called Rosa. In the middle of that garden, was a grave. 


Julian found Rosa.

© 2010 Deeksha


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

nicely penned, keep writing !

Posted 10 Years Ago


it is a very lovely story

Posted 13 Years Ago


wow. this was gorgeously written, i found myself so full of sympathy for the guy. I wanted so much to believe that she was alive. love the innocence of Julian's mind and the purity of his love for Rosa.
and then the last heartbreaking line. Julian found Rosa. Wow, that was enough to make me want to cry.
Amazing write!

Posted 14 Years Ago


Very beautifully written!!! Emotions have been captured well... Good writing buddy!!! Keep it going....

Posted 14 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

374 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Added on February 6, 2010
Last Updated on February 7, 2010

Author

Deeksha
Deeksha

Bangalore, India



Writing
Photograph Photograph

A Poem by Deeksha


That Day. That Day.

A Poem by Deeksha