1943

1943

A Story by Baby Ricochet
"

A B-17 bomber's starboard gunner's tale of terror in the sky

"



  I was screaming into the intercom when a 109 tore through a B-17's fuselage less than 300 feet away from our own ship. It was the "Baby Beau." The crash ripped the bomber's tail away sending her into a vertical spin. I watched horror stricken as she tumbled from the sky.
"C'mon Goddamn it C'com" I desperately mumbled to myself. "Bail out you guys. C'mon."
I never saw a single chute. 
Another 109 came roaring out of the clouds right at us. I could see his guns spitting tracer rounds homing in on our starboard engines. I squeezed the triggers on my .50's. The guns shook the marrow of my bones as their deafening ripping sound filled the cabin drowning out the monotonous, thumping drone of the aircraft engines. The 109 dove underneath us. Butch, our tale gunner was screaming into the intercom.
"Bandits!! Bandits!! Six oclock!! They're crawling all over us!!"
Every .50 on board was firing now. The noise was incredible. Like an angry god's wrath. They're were loud, angry pinging sounds as rounds ripped though our fuselage. Andy, our port gunner took a round in the leg. He went down screaming as blood flooded over the deck.
"Oh Jesus I'm hit!! Oh God!!" AAAAAARRGGGG!!!!!"
"Andy's hit!!" I screamed into the intercom. "We don't have a port gunner!!"
Then I heard the Captain's voice bellowing in my ears.
"You're going to have to cover them both Jimmy."
"We're still an hour from the target and it's hell going so do the best you can airman"
"Yes sir!" I replied
I jumped down to the deck, pulled out my knife and cut open Andy's flight suit. There was a hole in his thigh the size of my fist and it was bleeding like Niagara falls. He wasn't gonna make it. I tried not to show horror on my face so he wouldn't be so scared. I failed.
"Jesus Christ it hurts!" he cried. "How bad is it?"
"You're gonna be okay buddy." I reassured him. I was lying.
I pulled a tourniquet from the first aid kit and the only shot of Morphine. I tied that tourniquet as tight as the virgin mother around Andy's leg and gave him the morphine. Blood was everywhere.
"I'm sorry I got hit and left you in a lurch Jimmy" He moaned. "Here, take my lucky necklace. Your gonna need it."
Andy reached into his flight Jacket and took his Saint Anthony necklace off. I closed his fingers around it as he went to hand it to me.
"No buddy." I said. "You keep it. You need it more than me."
The truth was we both needed a Miracle.
I had to cover both port and starboard fuselage guns, Andy was bleeding out, we were an hour from the target and the Krauts were tearing us apart. Sheer adrenaline and terror was crushing in on my skull and my stomach felt like it was about to explode. 109's were swarming around us like hungry flies at a picnic. Another one opened up on us. There was a deafening bang as the bomber lurched to one side. I looked out the starboard gunners window and saw flames shooting out our number four engine. The flames went out in a few seconds but the motor prop wasn't spinning. We were down to three engines. Another B-17, "Southern Gal" billowing smoke from her two port engines with her tail rudder shot off broke formation and headed into a bank of clouds with two 109's in pursuit. She was a goner. I prayed her crew had a chance to bail out.
Desperate to hit a 109 I stayed on my guns scanning the sky for the enemy. B-17's were everywhere. five hundred aircraft sent to rain destruction down on a Kraut munitions plant deep in the heart of the Father land. We were bringing the fight to the enemy's door step, if we got there.
A few minutes went by with no 109 attacks which could only mean one thing. I saw the first dreadful black puff about 800 feet off our port side. FLAK. It was worse than the kraut fighters cause you couldn't fight back. All you could do was grit your teeth and pray. It was the worst feeling in the world. Within minutes we were enveloped in a blanket of FLAK. It was like going down a bad road in a jalopy with no suspension. Another bomber "lil Miss Perfect" took a direct hit from a FLAK shell and flew apart in front of my terrified eyes. It happened so fast the crew didn't have a chance to react. They were all killed. Suddenly I was thrown against the fuselage wall and slammed onto the floor. There was a loud, indescribably horrible sound, like a sick cow bellowing in agony. The plane started violently bucking and shuttering as she rolled to one side. I held on to the fuselage struts for dear life. Andy was bouncing around the cabin like a sack of potato's. I grabbed hold of his flight jacket with one hand and held him down as best I could. My ears were ringing like fire alarms and my head felt like it had been beaten with a baseball bat. Smoke was filling the cabin. I felt a powerful pull on the back of my flight jacket. I turned around to see Butch screaming in my face.
"We're goin down!!! We gotta bail!!! Move your a*s!!!!"
I was to stunned from being thrown around the cabin to fully comprehend the gravity of the situation.
"Where's the rest of the crew?" I asked.
Butch grabbed the collars of my flight jacket and shook me with all he had.
"MOVE YOUR GODDAMN A*S JIMMY!!!!" He screamed.
We grabbed a hold of Andy and made our way to the hatch. It was already open when we got there.I pulled the cord on Andy's chute and pushed him out. The chute deployed and cleared the bomber wing. At least he didn't go down with the ship. The Bomber was rolling and shaking apart around us. I fell backward away from the hatch up against the fuselage wall. Butch grabbed my flight jacket, pulled me back and screamed "GO!!"
I jumped.
My ears were full of the drone of B-17's and exploding FLAK as air rushed by and I felt the weight of the ground getting closer. I pulled the cord and my chute deployed. I felt naked and terrified as I slowly floated through a sky full of aircraft and flesh ripping hot flying metal. I looked down and saw three open chutes. I knew one of them was Andy. I looked up and saw one more, Butch. I had no clue where the rest of the crew were. As I desperately searched the sky for more chutes I caught a last glimpse of our B-17 "Star Gazer" going down in a spiral of smoke and flames. She had been the center of my life for almost a year and now she was gone. It was all to much to comprehend and I felt lost and alone. Images of my ma flashed through my mind and I wondered if I'd ever see her again. The war was over for me.



© 2013 Baby Ricochet


Author's Note

Baby Ricochet
US 8th Army Air Corps B-17 crews had the highest US attrition rate of the war with 1943 being their darkest year. A B-17 had ten crew members and when one was shot down most of them were killed or captured. Rarely did they ever make it back to England to fly again.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

This is great stuff, Baby, something I can really get my teeth into. I had a friend who flew 27 missions over Germany in a B-17, and he told me stories that jibe with what you say here. Technology as it is now, it seems so ludicrous that we had no fighters with enough range to escort them. What a waste! Those guys were made of some tough stuff, I tell you. I also knew a WWII fighter pilot who was shot down in the Pacific twice. He said he just crawled into his one-man life raft and waited a few days for someone to find him. No big deal.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Baby Ricochet

10 Years Ago

Thank you Sam. I saw a B-17 at an airshow once. It was about the coolest thing I'd ever seen in my l.. read more
Samuel Dickens

10 Years Ago

Yes, they're surprisingly small. The best we had at the time, though. The guys who flew them had the.. read more
Baby Ricochet

10 Years Ago

For sure



Reviews

Great story telling. This did justice in the realm of getting the message across. Great message. There's lot of times where a story can have a great message to aim for, and have a lot of under lining things but then no one gets it, and if no one gets it, then the point has failed. But in my opinion this did well to get the message across. You made it clear, which is why I think it's good. Keep up the good work. What was also great was that I could imagine the story as I read it, and that is also a strong point of stories. The ability to have the reader imagine it because after all we're reading not watching it, but it was as if I was there as I read this, and that is great. Great visuals and great story telling. It had plot and substance. When you add substance to writing it gets that much better. It gets the reader hooked on it and make them feel as if they are part of it. As long as their is that emotional connection between the reader and the story then it's good. The connection you were able to established in the writing gives the reader a sense of comfortably that they are in tune with the writing. So that way when the writing is over, the reader wants more, and wishes it didn't end. I feel the same way when I watched a movie or tv series that I get so attached to, I never want it to end. And for this writing, I didn't want it to end. You had me hooked, and I am sure everyone else who read it was hooked as well. That is good, that is what you want for people to keep wanting more. The way you put the story together makes me feel like my life is different for that moment in which I read your story. I love it, and it was beautiful. Just keep posting stories like this, and you'll have a good following.

Posted 8 Years Ago


Superb Work, I loved the war zone and its took me back to the real time.
Is it during Nazi war (Just thinking or The Battle of Midway)

Well narrated and wonderfully explained with all emotional tough :)

Loved it Ricochet!

Singh :)


Posted 10 Years Ago


Vikrantsingh

10 Years Ago

Wow I'm impressed... I really love History and this was really left me speechless I love to read mor.. read more
Baby Ricochet

10 Years Ago

If you ever get the time Read the other one I wrote "The London Blitz 12/29/1940." It was The first .. read more
Vikrantsingh

10 Years Ago

Oh! Really, Thanks for your share BR, I will surely check this :)
Much Appreciated :)
Ch.. read more
wow very interesting and tragic short story you articulated this excellently BR good write no excellent write :)

Posted 10 Years Ago


Baby Ricochet

10 Years Ago

Thank you Peter
Thank you. I think we may have discussed my father in law. He was a bomdardier and the only survivor of his B-17 He was a POW in Austria for 13 months. This piece....it definitely speaks to me.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Baby Ricochet

10 Years Ago

I'm pleased that it does. Thank you TL
Very gripping action scene! With some filler, this will lead to an equally captivating short story. You do a great job in placing the reader inside the tale and your utilization of imagery is a big plus. Advice: There are a handful of spelling/grammar errors--keep vigilant in the hunt for them before the first send-out.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Baby Ricochet

10 Years Ago

Thank you LP. If you have the time if you could read The London Blitz" for me I'd appreciate it. It'.. read more
L.P. Hawkins

10 Years Ago

Can do. Remember: review for review.
Very good work. Pen On. Do u read mine 2 Time, why and Manner?

Posted 10 Years Ago


Baby Ricochet

10 Years Ago

I check it out. thank you lucky
Gobinder Singh Dhindsa

10 Years Ago

Welcome
Wow. This was so emotional. Great job on this story. Keep writing!!!! :)

Posted 10 Years Ago


Baby Ricochet

10 Years Ago

Thank you Rhea
This is fantastic story telling, Mark. You should be proud of this one...I was hoping for an explanation as to what FLAK is, I assume they're bullets? Sorry, not up on my WWII lingo ;-) I enjoyed this immensely. Thanks so much for sharing this, Baby...great work!

xoxo

Posted 10 Years Ago


Baby Ricochet

10 Years Ago

FLAK was Anti aircraft fire. The shell was timed to explode at a certain altitude and when it did it.. read more
KAOlmsted

10 Years Ago

Awesome. Thanks!
Loved that! My dad flew Venturas for RAAF, tonight he told me a yarn about getting lost on a training flight, now 91. Edwards Airforce Museum was coolest thing I saw on US visit 2001. Hanging out for the next one. Thanks.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Baby Ricochet

10 Years Ago

Thank you Keith. Editing a story on the London Blitz now. Maybe up late this afternoon.
Keith

10 Years Ago

1:00 am here, I will catch it tomorra. Thanks.
Wow- the last paragraph really hooked me- the whole story was exciting! You really found your voice in the paragraph starting with- " I had to cover both port..." - flowed easily and read easily! I would encourage you to keep going- although the war was over for him, it really wasn't! Great write in my opinion!! Thanks for sharing!!!

Posted 10 Years Ago


Baby Ricochet

10 Years Ago

Thank you Nelson

First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

836 Views
25 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on June 8, 2013
Last Updated on June 9, 2013

Author

Baby Ricochet
Baby Ricochet

Tampa, FL



About
I write just for the hell of it A way to spend some time Blurting out in cyber space Whatever's on my mind Maybe funny maybe tragic Emotional and raw Politi.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


T.A. T.A.

A Poem by Casner P