So you think you're a writer ey

So you think you're a writer ey

A Story by Baby Ricochet
"

Reflections on writing,

"

  Writing is a developed skill evolving from a natural talent that takes discipline and years of practice to fully develop. The idea that writing is your "heart and soul" isn't the best approach one should take. In fact, it's f*****g retarded. Thinking in terms of something coming from the core of your being you post on a public website that any a*****e can comment on is just begging for a cyber a*s ripping. You need to have some detachment from your work so you don't act like a p***y when someone says you suck and trust me, someone will. We all want to improve our skills and coming off like you've been violated when someone critiques your work isn't going to improve s**t. With an attitude like that you're next piece will probably be an even bigger piece of crap than the one you got critiqued on.

    Writing is a developed skill, like shooting pool, using a weapon effectively or being great at oral sex. It isn't who you are so knock it off with the "my writing is my soul" shtick. Seriously, you're not doing yourself any favors.

© 2013 Baby Ricochet


Author's Note

Baby Ricochet
Feel free to disagree.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I agree and disagree. This is a tricky subject matter. Writing for some "like myself" is a creative outlet to let off steam. For others it is a serious sport. That really make things complicated when it comes to reviewing constructively. Written words and spoken words are a powerful source of communication. Some of us can communicate better than others. But does that make it more or less justified? My daughters art is not hanging in a museum. But I can see her heart in it. Coming from her, it is perfect. It is her creative expression. I would never tell her what is wrong or what is right. I guess I feel the same way about poetry. So in reviewing I try to remember that, I can only share how I feel. If the writing is terrible...well I just don't review it. That simple. It's called using your manners. Remember when your mother said, "if you can't say anything nice, it's best to say nothing at all." However, I do think it's good to give out suggestions and point out spelling and grammar errors "BUT ONLY IF YOU CAN OFFER ADIVCE AND/OR A CORRECTION" I see too many reviewers that like to say it's wrong, yet they have nothing constructive to offer to help correct it. That's the difference I think between saying it sucks and saying hey I have an idea on how to make that read better. And from one amateur writer reviewing an amateur..."who am I to cast the first stone?"

Posted 10 Years Ago


5 of 5 people found this review constructive.

Baby Ricochet

10 Years Ago

Most of my reviews are neutral. God knows I post all kinds of crap so I figure "what do I know about.. read more
Flowrite

10 Years Ago

Muse, I agree with you 100%. What you said was inspiring, which is what a muse does.
Angel

10 Years Ago

Wow, Muse! I think you said what most of us feel. I couldn't have put it better...although, of cou.. read more



Reviews

I don’t know anyone who enjoys rejection, but some of the most famous artists in the world experienced rejection before they walked the red carpet. Point being, you have to believe in yourself and your work for it to evolve/develop. Kissing-up to someone, because they are the guru of group and you’re scared to disagree, or you’re intimidated by them because of their expertise, or you just want to befriend them is a waste of your time. Take what you want from constructive criticism and leave the rest where it came from. Writing is not my heart and soul, but what I write does originate from those channels. I think Muse is correct in her comment as well.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Baby Ricochet

10 Years Ago

That's for sure. Thank you for your input.
It's true. Using the internet, you are exposing yourself to everyone and some times you need a good kick to get you feeling~

Posted 10 Years Ago


Baby Ricochet

10 Years Ago

That's for sure
You’ve got a fascinating premise here, and even more fascinating implications.

Overall, I was truly impressed.

Thank you for sharing such fascinating poem.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Baby Ricochet

10 Years Ago

Thanks for stopping by
Baby Ricochet

10 Years Ago

Thanks for stopping by
I agree that a certain level of detachment is necessary. However, writing can neither be fully emotional, nor full analytical. The true level of skill a writer must accomplish comes from balance. Being able to pour out your heart and soul, then being able to step back and view it from other angles. A writer is not just himself. He is all peopke. He is the lover and the hater. He is the audience and the critic. He is the soul and the mind. Pure detachment will accomplish one thing. Dull writing devoid of heart fit only for a math text book.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Baby Ricochet

10 Years Ago

Great insight. Thank you for your input
Angel

10 Years Ago

Very well said Knightingale!
Knightingale

10 Years Ago

Thank you.
Writing for me is like most passions, one can feel an inherent need to accomplish a phrase, or prose or chapter - however is it's any "good" to an ardent reader is really up to how the reader has been thought to read. Writing like any art can be done by anyone, however unlike most arts writing is the only one that evokes emotion and can be done by us all. We wouldn't put a piano in a room tell people to look at it an be emotional, it needs to the played to evoke emotion. The same goes with rules, like any art there are certain guide lines we must learn, we can't hand a person a guitar and say play something, we first show them what a chord is and how to build a melody and them they play something that evokes a certain reaction, writing is the same, one learns how to display words in a certain order for maximum effect. Do I agree with you B.R. of course I do, but as I'm sure you'll agree passion and for want of a better word "soul" must be present to endure the lessons of writing with any skill. Be well my darling.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Baby Ricochet

10 Years Ago

Of course I agree with you Thomas. If the piece wasn't snarky it wouldn't be BR. Thank you for your .. read more
Thomas Fitzgerald

10 Years Ago

Your welcome x
Yes, well said. I do see work that just seems to me like emotional dribble with little appeal. As a novice with no formal literary training I just move on without comment, sometimes I just feel that I may not have the intellect to appreciate such work. After reading this I am wondering if maybe I am not alone?





Posted 10 Years Ago


Baby Ricochet

10 Years Ago

Thank you for your input Keith. I appreciate it
I couldn't have said it any better myself. Well done, Mark.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Baby Ricochet

10 Years Ago

Thank you Kimmer. You know I've been an a*s over reviews before so I know it all too well
KAOlmsted

10 Years Ago

I was going to post a winky face but it was less than ten characters...

;-)

read more
[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Pax
smiles ~ I always say this to myself, I am not a writer but i could say i am an artist trying various media/tools to expressed. In my art days i expressed myself with colors on how i do them in my sketches, In my days in words i expressed myself on how i deal with my problems and how i expressed them creative as possible. You know my friend i don't have a strong background on how art works in society, but i know one thing an art piece is a fragment of yourself - though that's just my opinion...

I agree in your opinion my friend... if you put yourself out in the open, you should be prepared for the consequences of your action. You should know where you stand and where to land.

nice one my friend!

Posted 10 Years Ago


Baby Ricochet

10 Years Ago

Thank you mr pax, it's great to see you.
Yeah the nerve of some people..... It's not like slinging some ink(or electronic lettering) is ANYTHING like powerlifting :p

lol writing isn't me. the weight-room is me

Posted 10 Years Ago


Baby Ricochet

10 Years Ago

I feel you annabelle
You're right. What people want is praise, What people don't want is criticism. They think that writing "from the heart" has the right to be full of mistakes and bad grammar. It doesn't. If I make a mistake, I want to be told. And of course, i dont' need praise, I know how good I am.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Baby Ricochet

10 Years Ago

You are one of the best writers on the wc. That's for sure.
Frieda P

10 Years Ago

Ha leave it to Marie, missed reading her reviews!
Marie

10 Years Ago

I know it, Baby R. Thanks for the reinforcement.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1696 Views
41 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on July 29, 2013
Last Updated on July 29, 2013

Author

Baby Ricochet
Baby Ricochet

Tampa, FL



About
I write just for the hell of it A way to spend some time Blurting out in cyber space Whatever's on my mind Maybe funny maybe tragic Emotional and raw Politi.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Moods Moods

A Poem by DrD


Scumbag Scumbag

A Poem by s y e