So you think you're a writer ey

So you think you're a writer ey

A Story by Baby Ricochet
"

Reflections on writing,

"

  Writing is a developed skill evolving from a natural talent that takes discipline and years of practice to fully develop. The idea that writing is your "heart and soul" isn't the best approach one should take. In fact, it's f*****g retarded. Thinking in terms of something coming from the core of your being you post on a public website that any a*****e can comment on is just begging for a cyber a*s ripping. You need to have some detachment from your work so you don't act like a p***y when someone says you suck and trust me, someone will. We all want to improve our skills and coming off like you've been violated when someone critiques your work isn't going to improve s**t. With an attitude like that you're next piece will probably be an even bigger piece of crap than the one you got critiqued on.

    Writing is a developed skill, like shooting pool, using a weapon effectively or being great at oral sex. It isn't who you are so knock it off with the "my writing is my soul" shtick. Seriously, you're not doing yourself any favors.

© 2013 Baby Ricochet


Author's Note

Baby Ricochet
Feel free to disagree.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I agree and disagree. This is a tricky subject matter. Writing for some "like myself" is a creative outlet to let off steam. For others it is a serious sport. That really make things complicated when it comes to reviewing constructively. Written words and spoken words are a powerful source of communication. Some of us can communicate better than others. But does that make it more or less justified? My daughters art is not hanging in a museum. But I can see her heart in it. Coming from her, it is perfect. It is her creative expression. I would never tell her what is wrong or what is right. I guess I feel the same way about poetry. So in reviewing I try to remember that, I can only share how I feel. If the writing is terrible...well I just don't review it. That simple. It's called using your manners. Remember when your mother said, "if you can't say anything nice, it's best to say nothing at all." However, I do think it's good to give out suggestions and point out spelling and grammar errors "BUT ONLY IF YOU CAN OFFER ADIVCE AND/OR A CORRECTION" I see too many reviewers that like to say it's wrong, yet they have nothing constructive to offer to help correct it. That's the difference I think between saying it sucks and saying hey I have an idea on how to make that read better. And from one amateur writer reviewing an amateur..."who am I to cast the first stone?"

Posted 10 Years Ago


5 of 5 people found this review constructive.

Baby Ricochet

10 Years Ago

Most of my reviews are neutral. God knows I post all kinds of crap so I figure "what do I know about.. read more
Flowrite

10 Years Ago

Muse, I agree with you 100%. What you said was inspiring, which is what a muse does.
Angel

10 Years Ago

Wow, Muse! I think you said what most of us feel. I couldn't have put it better...although, of cou.. read more



Reviews

I agree Baby! The essence or core of our writing is something we deeply care about but it has to be embellished, modulated and evaluated carefully before putting it up for public consumption. Publishing an unedited rant and then expect others to stomach the crap and praise and appreciate it is foolish. I see it happening here on WC all the time.

Good you raised this issue.

So for those who say :
"Writing is my soul...!!! My arse! Shove it up your blackest black hole!!!"

Posted 10 Years Ago


Baby Ricochet

10 Years Ago

Lmao! Thank you divya
I imagine anyone that has ever really critiqued a work has a "horror" story to tell... or ten. How you doing man?

Posted 10 Years Ago


Baby Ricochet

10 Years Ago

I'm doing alright. Just shaking up the WC.
Chris

10 Years Ago

so are we all... so are we all.
Loved it BR.. As always this is unique and magnificent :)

Cheers!
Singh :)

Posted 10 Years Ago


Baby Ricochet

10 Years Ago

Thank you Singh, it's good to see you
Vikrantsingh

10 Years Ago

Same here BR
The whole reason for writing on a site like this is for the critique.... so you have to know that its not always going to be a bed of roses...

Posted 10 Years Ago


Baby Ricochet

10 Years Ago

That's for sure. Thank you for your input.
BTW ey is spelled eh. Trust me, I'm Canadian.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Baby Ricochet

10 Years Ago

Gotchya....
Well said. While I don't entirely agree, I think you've put together a piece that shows your position clearly, and makes the point concise. Nicely done

Posted 10 Years Ago


Baby Ricochet

10 Years Ago

I don't entirely agree with the piece either. I know a lot of folks write from their soul and that's.. read more
Will

10 Years Ago

Alright, now you're talking on my level. I get you here, and I see where you're coming from. Good wo.. read more
It's hard to disagree.

Well said.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Baby Ricochet

10 Years Ago

Thank you Paula.
All right, even though I am only fifty percent in agreement with you, okay ninety, I have to say I loved this piece. You rarely fail to make me laugh. And I laughed throughout. From a technical standpoint you stop and start rhythm was superb you were 'flowy' and then you'd say something irreverent and the flow would appropriately halt. Almost like you were giving the reader time to laugh.

Yes, it is important to take criticism. You made your point very clear--fan of this piece. Here's a challenge--should you chose to take young Jedi, can you write its counterpoint?



Posted 10 Years Ago


Baby Ricochet

10 Years Ago

Maybe. Definitely something to consider. Thank you pryde.
Awesome piece of advice, I do need to take this to heart a bit more but definitely good advice

Posted 10 Years Ago


Tell us how you really feel! Seriously, it is not healthy to keep your thoughts bottled up inside, Baby.
Heh heh (I see you have shined your brass balls, there)

I originally joined to get honest critiques on my work so I could improve. I actually prepared for the a*s ripping. It is strange that I have to ask for specific critiques in my author's notes. I have found that this site is sort of like FB, but with poetry. Don't get me wrong, I love it here. It is just very different from what I had in mind when I joined. Angi~

Posted 10 Years Ago


Baby Ricochet

10 Years Ago

What I had in mind when I joined the wc and what I'm doing on it are two different things. Thank you.. read more

4
next Next Page
last Last Page
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1696 Views
41 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on July 29, 2013
Last Updated on July 29, 2013

Author

Baby Ricochet
Baby Ricochet

Tampa, FL



About
I write just for the hell of it A way to spend some time Blurting out in cyber space Whatever's on my mind Maybe funny maybe tragic Emotional and raw Politi.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Moods Moods

A Poem by DrD