Trees Aren't Blue

Trees Aren't Blue

A Story by Kyle A. Smith
"

Wrote in about uh...4-6 hours...for my stupid writing class that i took online >:| its really dumb. eh. artist picture not my own, but i did recreate it. :)

"

 

Trees Aren’t Blue
 
 
“Dr. Fran Summers you said?”
“Yeah…is there a problem?”
“Oh no, I was just wondering about the doctor…”
The man started to chuckle in the phone, “oh, that? About ten years back I got a degree in medical research. Why does that surprise you…?”
“Oh…well, I was just wondering why you were at this bank if you were a doctor!” she replied back delicately.
“Ho!” he boomed with laughter. “It’s just a bank, a place where you keep money, and I like to keep mine safe.”
“Well anyways Dr. Summers, it seems your transaction was successful. Is that all you will be needing today?”
“Ah yes, thank you very much for checking on that. And yes that is all madam.”
“Alright well, have a nice day, bye.”
“Take care.”
The phone went dead and the dial tone followed after a click. With a satisfied look on his face, he placed the cell down and went to the couch and slumped down, sinking into the cushion. From afar, Summers looked like no doctor anyone has ever seen. Even upon further inspection one could never tell that this man had a degree in the medical field; there was not even one first-aid kit on the premises, nor any books that depicted the human body in all of its aspects. One could argue say that Summers was a slacker or a deadbeat by the way his apartment looked. But alas, he was a very skinny, muscular, and tall one.
He put up his feet on the coffee table in front of him, knocking over a plastic empty vase to the floor in the process. With a sigh of a relief threw his arms back in self-satisfied relaxed position. The man closed his eyes and seemed to drift into a slow sleep.
He awoke two hours later exactly to the ringing phone. Groggy and teary-eyed he picked up the cell and clumsily opened it. “’Ello?”
“Listen, don’t talk” came the response. Summers bolted straight up with wide eyes, fully awake. His mind reeling, wondering who this was.
“W-w-what?” he finally managed to stammer out.
“FRAN! I told you to shut up already. Why can you never listen to your mother!? Now listen up good boy! You are thirty-five years old! You have a medical degree even! Gah! Do something with your life!”
Summers stared blankly searching for words to say back to her. All that came out was a disappointed “yes…yes mom…sure…uh…”
“There will be no more rent checks. Absolutely none do you hear me! I could not believe my ears when you said you needed another one! But of course your father approved the transaction!” There was a slight static feedback with each time she said a word.
Fran scratched his head while she spoke and started to pace around the room. “But mom-“
“No buts Fran! This is the last straw. Make something of yourself. Half of your life is almost over and you still depend on your mother!” Click.
He dropped the cell back to the cough and slumped back, sulking. Fran rubbed his forehead and laid down slowly. His eyes remained open for a long time until like a door hinge loose, drifted to a close. He was there motionless till night came until Fran bolted upright again. He seemed to be sweating in a mass quantity.
“Woah, bad dream…” he said wiping his forehead again. “What time is it even?” and he picked up his phone. “Ah my darling, where would I be without you! 3:45 on the nose. Have I even got the mail from earlier…” he mumbled the latter.
It was sitting right in front of the door and it seemed pretty thick when he had picked it up flicking on some lights in the progress. Walking now to his kitchen, he set the mound of papers on the counter. Fran sifted through the top layer of different bills and got to the middle which consisted mostly of coupons. Finally he got to the back and found there to be two magazines.
One was a National Geographic and the other a Time. Both had similar headlines though, that made Fran’s eyes get huge…They both read something along the lines of “Found: Hidden Trees From Africa, Details Inside.” Immediately he threw it down and rubbed his hair from his face to the back of his head and started to click his teeth. He dashed to his room in the far corner of the living room and ripped open his closet door, yelling obscenities. “Where is it? Where is it!” he yelled throwing things from the top of closet to the bottom. With a cry of joy Fran pulled down a seemingly very ancient box. “Strange…It’s all here. Must they still be real then?” he asked to himself.
He walked out of the closet and back to the living room. He dialed on his cell and put it up to his ear once he got it from the couch.
A very irritated voice answered, “Hello?”
“Dad?”
“Son? Do you have any idea what time it is?”
“Oh wow dad, I’m sorry…I didn’t look…” he replied in a confused way.
“I heard your mother called-“
“That’s not important right now father!” he interjected.
“Then what is Fran?” his father said back, almost as if through gritted teeth.
 “Seoaxs?”
“Thrice.”
“Alright…then how did they know…?”
“It’s been on the news all day son…I should have known that you would have called about it sooner or later…” his voice trailed.
“Then they are real…like I said…” Fran’s voice also trailed off in, but this time in disbelief. “I told you there were real!” he replied to his thoughts forcefully. “But you never believe me father!
“I said it would have been too dangerous to go out looking for them. I never said I didn’t believe you son.”
“What all do they know father?”
“They only know that there are rumors of them among the different tribes around Libya. There have been numerous reports and a vast amount of detailed accounts of them. Of course the first batch found were destroyed by them in trying to figure out what they are…”
“Wow…to be so close to something that majestic…the odds of that are astounding father!”
“Yes, son…but how do we know if there are anymore now?”
Those words cut Fran deep and he slumped again back to the couch with his eyes wide.
“Fran?”
“Oh…sorry. I think I’m going now…”
“Son! Don’t you dare d-”
Fran stood up and took the phone from his ear and closed it, throwing it back to its couch home. He went back to the kitchen and picked up the magazines again and looked for the articles depicting. “They must have known about them for a long time now for it to be in this month’s publication…” he said angrily. He found a number in the end of the NE article to contact a top researcher that was looking for more information about the matter or the reader ideas. Fran looked behind me to the couch where his phone lay; it seemed if he was struggling with the thought of calling.
“I sure must be crazy to actually think of divulging such a secret.”
He walked towards the couch with caution as if the phone was some kind of monster ready to pounce. He picked it up very slowly and even slower, punched in the numbers. It rang once, then twice, then three times. With each ring, his anticipation grew larger.
“Hello, you’ve reached Karen Geller. Do you have any comments on the article about the trees that are said to be found in the African region?”
Fran swallowed. “Comments? How about direct information from an expert?”
“I don’t follow sir…”
“Tell me; is this the person in charge of the study?”
“Well…I am one of the people that are about to study them…”
“I need the highest person in charge please. Once they hear what I have to say…” he laughed, “they’ll drop to the floor.”
“I don’t know sir…I can’t just give you over to her just like that…”
“What if I told you that ancient texts have stated what these things are, and where they are found, and I alone, with my father, know what exactly they are?”
She’s the one that laughed this time, “I’d say you’re crazy.”
“Hah, I thought so. Our job was to protect these trees. It was said that my grandfather actually traveled to their place in Africa and was the only one of my family to ever see them besides my great-great-great-great-great…well you get the picture…”
“Sir I’d like to believe you right now…but I’m not sure if I can trust the quality of your information.”
“You don’t have to. I just wanted to feel satisfied that I actually told someone.”
“Wait sir…I don’t know if its science intuition but I feel like I can trust you somehow, someway…”
“Did you not just say that you can’t trust the quality of what I am saying!?”
“Well yes…but, by deductive logic and the way you sound…I am able to deduce some sort of probable understanding of your statements…”
“Nice, I see the scary scientist in you.”
“Maybe we should arrange a date to meet in person, Mr…?”
“Summers. Fran Summers.”
“Alright Mr. Summers, maybe it’s best to have you come to me. What do you think?”
“That sounds perfect, when and where?”
“Well I could arrange for a car to be outside your door ready to take you on a plane if need be, depending on your current location.” She seemed really confident and trusting.
“Well I live in Palms Beach, California…is that good for a start?”
“Yes of course Mr. Summers. Now I’ll just need your address and the driver of the car will tell you what to do.”
 
***
                Fran was in the car after he hung up with Karen within two hours. The driver of the car was an older man in his fifties named Pat Cent. He seemed nice enough as the man told Fran about where he was taking him and explained that Karen really doesn’t work on intuition too much. He wondered why she gave in so easily. He told Fran about himself and how he was on the team and also who just happened to be in the area.
                “Sis’ gonna be a long flight to Maine boy.”
                “Maine!? That’s where we are headed?”
                “Yes sir! I only got the call in about an hour ago; dang near woke me though. Where’d ya think we were headed if not out east! Ya think everyone is nocturnal like he likes of ya?”
                “No…no I guess it makes sense I just didn’t think.”
                “So tell me about yourself.” He smiled, “I’m just joshin’ ya ma boy! We’ll have plenty of time to get to know one another on the plane.”
                “What time will we arrive in Maine then?”
                “Well depends really…it’ll be about a six hour flight I reckon…and plus the time difference…” he grumbled. “Bout eight tonight there time I suppose.”
                “Oh…” Fran said.
                For the remainder of the drive Pat talked about all the things that he is a part of at the SciPhon Corporation. He too wishes to fine these trees and he hopes that Fran actually knows something. His conversation was cut short as they pulled into one of the many park lots at the bustling airport. Fran dug out the bags he had packed during the wait for Pat and followed him to the heart of the port.
                “So what plane did we get?” Fran asked surveying the flight board.
                “Oh, the 783D flight.”
                “Well…I don’t see any 738D flight leaving for Maine…”
                “Hah, well keep looking.”
                “Alright…Yeah Pat, I can’t find it. Pat?” he twirled around. “Pat!?” Fran eyed him through the thick crowed that engulfed him, walking down a hallway to his left.
                “Pat! Gotcha…” he mentioned under his breath and ran off towards him.
                “Ain’t she a beaut!” he said proudly as Fran skidded to a halt behind him.
                “We’re taking that!?” as he eyed the supersonic jet out through the window taxing towards the passenger port. Pat didn’t reply back, instead he just motioned towards the receptionist and talked in quiet tones leaving Fran alone once more.
                “What’d I get myself into…” he muttered and set off to the now waving Pat.
 
***
                It was already more than five hours into the flight, and Pat had not stopped talking since lift off. It was just the two of them on a private flight to Maine. They had both discussed the trees briefly (it seemed as if Pat wanted to wait to hear the whole story), but Pat of course had a look of anticipation. He asked about Fran and he told him about himself with magically leaving out the part of having no job and having to beg his mother for rent checks.
                The only flight attendant had already came around twice and by the third time she said that they would be landing at the Maine metro airport in under ten minutes. This made Fran’s face change from wanting to rip someone’s head off (one can only imagine why) to slightly elated. They both faceted their buckles and were ready for the decent.
                They were on the ground in several minutes and welcomed by a warm car outside the airport. After getting their things from the conveyor belt they were on their way to SciPhon Corp. The ride there was silent, but not boring. The landscape was new to Fran and he swiveled his head all around to take it all in. After twenty minutes or so of uninterrupted driving they were on the doorstep of a glorious metal and glass fitted building. A gasp escaped Fran’s mouth. The guard opened the gate and they were in.
                Fran stepped out of the car as soon as it stopped in front of the building and was greeted by a stunning brilliant woman; Karen.                
                “Good-evening Mr. Summers Now tell me that you brought it.” She gave a coy smile.
                At first he gave a puzzled look, “Ah yes, I did, do not worry. What I am more curious about is how you knew about it…”
                “Oh Mr. Summers I know a lot about it. I’m just hoping that the documents you have know more.”
                “Oh they do, and much more.”
                She led him into a room that intersected the main corridor and led to another hallway. The door on the left at the end was the target. On the outside of the door held a sign saying Meeting Room. Once inside Fran reached inside his bag and got out the document.
                She looked up at him and said, “Why, that looks almost new…”
                Fran gave his own smile and reached into the front compartment taking very slowly out a document inside a solid glass box. “This is the original copy that has been handed down generations. What you see there,” he pointed to the papers he handed her, “are the copies of what I have written from these.”
                “Ah yes, brilliant!” she replied overjoyed. “How old do you think that the documents are actually?”
                “The one I have here right now are about four to five hundred years old. At home I have the ashes of the eight to nine hundred versions. Sadly, that one is eligible at the moment.” They both laughed at his botched attempt at a joke. 
                “This truly is amazing” she said flipping through the pages. “It depicts the trees so well in color and appearance. They should be one heck of a sight to behold tonight…”
                “Excuse me, tonight? You’re actually going to go there aren’t you and find them?”
                “Yes we are going to leave as soon as possible after I study these texts more.”
                “Don’t you need grants!? Why so sudden? What about approval?” Fran shouted out.
                “Oh Mr. Summers, that is all taken care of, and besides, even if it wasn’t, what the government doesn’t know won’t hurt us, right?” she winked and pursed her lips together shyly and innocently.
                “I guess it doesn’t matter if anyone knows about these trees anymore. The document displaying their usage and importance to this world has been long lost…”
                “And that is why I have put together a grand team to go out and study these magnificent golden beasts.”
                “Well, I suppose you should tell me what you find? Some money would be nice.”
                She hesitated as if confused then laughed out, “Mr. Summers, you are coming with us.”
 
***
This time Fran Summers sat alone in the back of the plane. He seemed to be almost hyperventilating yet no one paid him any attention. His face seemed to be contorted in a fearful fashion. It was a fifteen hour flight to the African providence they needed to go to. There was one thing that raced through his mind; I did not sign up for this. Fran decided that this was all a dream and this happened way too fast to be real. He was hoping to wake up to reality any moment. He could tell that Karen kept giving him a look, yet he shrugged it off. Maybe she was worried about him and regretted her choice; maybe not. He decided to try and sleep as it was only three hours into the flight. He closed his eyes and began to drift off. Karen kept looking back and seeing if he was ok. She eyed him twitching in his sleep.
Fran awake several hours later and found that everyone was gone. That everyone included: Karen and Pat and four other people he didn’t know. Maybe he would never know them; then again, maybe not as he was part of a team. He heard voices coming from a room in the back of the plane right where he was sitting.
“Where does the text say the trees are exactly at?” he heard a familiar voice say. He knew it was Pat.
“We only could hope. It spells out a map…but does not exactly tell you where. Perhaps it’s a code of some-sort.” He heard a different voice say this, someone he had never heard before.
Fran got up and knocked on the door. Upon hearing a fountain of shuffling papers, the door opened and they all greeted Fran. The man that just spoke was named Hue Graham. There was another lady named Miranda Wright, a man that went by the name of “Scars” Seattle, and finally a smaller male figure that kept to himself, named Lance Feign. They all shook his hand and said hello warmly.
“Karen there are some things I wanted to ask you, just to clear them up, even though they may seem irrelevant to what is at hand.” She nodded in approval and Fran continued, “How was it so easy to get a hold of you?”
She gave a big smile at this one and her eyes twinkled behind her glasses, “Like I said before, you sounded like a legit case. Truth be told we usually just hang up on the men and women that call in…”
“Oh well that’s nice.” He forced a smile at the thought.
She began to brief him on the things that he would need to be cautious of; disease, animals, and most of all, the jungle itself. She began to say that he would be second in command of the four navigators. That’s how it was, four Scientists, four Navigators, and three Protectors. There were many with double roles.
Finally they revealed that Fran needed shots; five of them to prevent disease. They also said that they would be arriving at their destination at five in the evening and would start their expedition at six. It was now twelve in the afternoon and the shots would knock Fran out for four hours at the most. Fran sighed and consented and winced at the sharp piercing pain of the needle entering his skin. He laid there motionless for hours as the team planed their plots and action and the question of why Fran was even here popped up and out.
“Why are you so supportive of him? I thought this was our time to shine. Why didn’t you just take the information and run with it Karen?” Lance asked forcedly.
“Fran happens to be very important to this team Lance. If you do not see that then I shall ask you to step down completely.”
Lance locked eyes with her; his burning in hers. He said nothing more after that and Karen was the winner. The team continued to discuss the things that needed to be done and the precautions that were to be used when facing the jungle. It was to be an eight hour journey and if they found nothing they would head back. The briefing and deliberation was complete and they all, even Lance, went to go check all of the equipment…and firearms.
When Fran woke up the team all sat in their chairs. He eyed that the buckle up sign came on and overheard someone saying they should go wake Summers up. When Miranda stood up and looked back to see Fran standing there slumped into the wall, looking drowsy. She smiled and came over and helped him over to a seat and buckled him in. She said that we were almost there and not to try and fall asleep again. Fran could barely keep his eyes open but the turbulence from the decent seemed to be the trick. In a matter of five minutes they touched down in Africa and he was fully awake.
“Alright let’s move people!” Karen shouted like a drill instructor. “Let’s do this!”
Everyone filed out at the sound of her voice with equipment in hand. There was a jeep like vehicle waiting for them on the runway. Karen went over and thanked the man holding it for them in their native tongue. Fran followed the crowd toward the vehicle that was surprisingly big enough for all of them to fit in even with their equipment. An overcom gave a static feedback through the vehicle, and Karen’s voice echoed.
“We will be at the rendezvous point in exactly thirty minutes. Hang tight. It’s going to be a bumpy ride.”  
The car veered to the left, off-road and it was, in fact, very bumpy. They people inside sway to the left and to the right. At one point it seemed everyone in the car floated above their seat for a full second. Fran managed to hit his head when Karen seemed to steer right into a rock on the “road”. Twenty minutes later of looking out for himself and cracking heads, they were there; where exactly, Fran did not know.
They all bustled out of the car and they all seemed to be busy except for Fran. Three of them put of a tent to make a base of sorts around the car. Fran asked to help but the offer was refused. He asked everyone if there was anything for him to do. Sadly, all Fran could do was stay out of everyone’s way. He was starting to feel out of place. “This isn’t my story any longer” he said under his breath.
Fran sat down on the hood of the car and thought deeply on how he would be braving the jungle. A pat on his back broke his trance on the matter. He looked back to see the smiling Karen. She gave him some reassuring words and then turned away looking as if she needed to go find someone. He looked away, going right back into his thoughts. His face showed fear, and he rubbed his forehead. He smirked at the thought of his mother yelling at him to make something of his life.
“Looks like I’m making something mom” he muttered.
“Alright can I have your attention everyone?” Karen asked them all to the center, and he hopped off the hood, exiting his thoughts again.
“We are about to go into the heart of the jungle now. We all know our roles hopefully and we will all respect one another’s opinions and choices. I chose to do this at night to keep the sun off us, but there is still the problem of mosquitos. So please as you exit, let me spray you with this spray to keep them away from our group.” Everyone seemed to nod in agreement.
“Alright, we will do this as professionally as we can, and take samples of soil sediments along the way. Please follow Lance.” She smiled as she ended talking.
Everyone formed a single file line, with Fran in the back. As each exited, Karen sprayed each just like she said. They walked for exactly one hour in the sweltering heat. It was seven and the sun was almost gone; a strange occurrence. They were losing daylight and fast. Along the way, Miranda took pictures and collected a sediment and foliage sample and placed it inside her bag. They were now inside the jungle, shaded by a canopy of trees. Fran started to worry that there was not going to be enough light to fully take it all in, and wondered if Karen actually made the right decision in doing this study in the evening. But after all she was the team captain. The trees became thicker and it Fran had to actually look where he was going now, breaking his thoughts of back home and wondering when he’d would wake up.
“Fran, does any of this look familiar to you?” she stopped the group to ask him.
“Huh?”
 “Hmmm…nevermind for now.”
Fran gave her a puzzled look and she went back up to the front mumbling to herself. It was still somewhat sunny out through the dense trees. Lance and Hue stared at Fran and then back to Karen, and continued walking in a straight line. Sometimes the Navigators yelled things on our position and sometimes the Protectors said things about the wildlife in the region. Telling us what to be cautious for in the area and things of that nature; this gave Fran an even better reason to be scared. But alas, Hue and Pat said there was nothing to worry about, and if anything did ever happen that they would take care of it, no problem.
After another two of hours of walking and wondering what Karen meant about asking if he knew where we were, they took a break. They took another sample, and the Protectors surveyed the landscape. The sun was somehow still barely up at this time, but cast everything in an eerie orange-like color. The Protectors kept eying Fran from the distance. Karen made an announcement for everyone to take out a flashlight as it was getting darker by the second. After awhile they continued walking.
Then it hit him. Fran fell to his face in the ground screaming. He figured out that he has been here before. He always has been. Somehow, someway he knew. The writings did something to him. Maybe he had dreamed of the trees too much. But in his mind this place looked familiar; even in the dark light.
“Karen! I know—”
Two lights shone in his face. They told him to shut up and threw him aside. It was the voices of both Hue and Lance.
“Tell us, where is it. I knew it was only a matter of time before you figured it out. Karen was just using you. It turns out you aren’t the only one having weird thoughts. Karen knew that upon reading that text of the ancients your mind opens a little bit and in your sleep you travel here, outside your body. Isn’t that right Hue?” Lance said.
“Oh that is very right. She wouldn’t even let us read. A shame really, but no matter, all we need is to know the location of them so we can take this discover and take all of the credit and findings for it. And it’s all thanks to you Mr. Summers.”
Fran gulped but remained strong, after all, he was old enough to take care of himself. He decided he needed a plan to get himself out of this. He twisted his right arm and tried to pry himself from the grip they both had on him. But instead of going like that, the plan was turned around and they both picked him up and threw him against a tree.
“You will tell us where the tree is!” Lance screamed. He pulled something out of his pocket and held it up to Fran’s chest.
His eyes widened, and he started to sweat like mad starting to hyperventilate and convulse. He knew what it was that he place at his chest; a gun.
“TELL ME FRAN!” Lance shouted.
“Tell us now.” Hue brought out his own weapon.
Fran closed his eyes and stammered out “n-no. N-never.”
He started to shake more as he could feel both barrels dig deeper into this chest. The gunshot was the last thing he heard.
That is until he opened his eyes once more and seen a dead Hue Graham lying before him. His eyes darted to Lance, and another gunshot was heard. Another body was in front of Fran some twenty feet away; Pat Cent.
“Pat!” Fran shouted.
“Hah, if that’s the way we’ll play it, then there are two more chickens over there.” Lance hit Fran in the head with his gun and ran off saying, “I’ll just find them myself.”
Fran was indeed not unconscious which Lance’s intention was. Fran was still bloody and wide-eyed. “Karen…” he muttered weakly.
He sat up and held his head. A look of serious determination washed over his face. “I’m not going to die in this jungle!” he yelled over the environs and all sounds seemed to cease.
He picked up Hues discarded weapon and ran off in search for the wicket Lance. A gun shot was all that was heard in the newly formed silence. Screams were heard soon after.
It was in the middle of muddy clearing, and the smell of a swamp was around. Lance was there with two bodies on the ground. One was clearly the motionless one of Miranda and the kicking and screaming one was Karen. Fran aimed and FIRED. A dead hit into Lances arm and he fell over dead. He ran over to Karen and picked her up still wide eyed and in shock.
“Glad to see me?” Fran asked solemnly.
“Yes I am…” she said with tears flowing.
“Well lets go get what we came here for. Right?”
“Right Fran…” her eyes moved from his to the body of Lance and Miranda. And a new set of tears came.
“I don’t feel right anymore…maybe we should turn back and alert some authorities…”
“No, I think I know what you mean if I have been here before. I know where they’re at now. That’s why he attacked me.”
“Right, we do need to be professional about this…but we did come all this way, and I know I can trust you and only you.”
Fran lead the way for two hours wordlessly. Another hour passed and they cut through the jungle with ease and no obstacles. They passed animals and flowing rivers and swamps.
“This is the final ridge Kar…just thought I’d warn you.”
“Thank you Fran…”
“Heh, it looks like the documents were right after all. And so were you, I never noticed the subliminal underlying messages until now I suppose. Thank you Kar…”
                “I should be the one thanking you…I owe you my life.” She smiled and gave him a quick embrace.
                Over the ridge was a plethora of golden, sparkling trees.
                “It’s beautiful” they said in unison.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Epilogue
 
                Karen and Fran both made important self-discovery through a great deal of sacrifice. There were no survivors from the team. It was all in the name for science as they found the real reason why the trees were golden.
                The bark was covered in a viscous fluid that if came in contact to the oils found on human skin, would die and shed off in huge pieces to the jungle floor. There are now only seventeen left.
                Karen and Fran both made many discoveries from the usage of the fluid and have made many medicines. They now have their own “golden garden” of the trees. They have long now been married and are now scientific partners working together and helping mankind all thanks to this one trip, and one secret.
 

© 2008 Kyle A. Smith


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

255 Views
Added on March 18, 2008
Last Updated on March 18, 2008

Author

Kyle A. Smith
Kyle A. Smith

MI



About
The only thing that i truly know that drives me is my music, the rest is just all jumbled together with everything, and it all seems to be connected. What I get out of that, is trials, dreams, love, a.. more..

Writing