Haute Tension

Haute Tension

A Poem by Christopher Todd Dallas
"

Stream-of-conscious style, in response to Lola Nation's, "Jazz Piano and Where You Left Me."

"

no safe word
no release
just high wire
with no net
no net
a 20 knot
wind
with no net


bare feet
callouses
the long walk
and sway
the long walk
and flex


cramped arches
the long flight
down
without wings
horses
without kings
without the kings'
men


and you
you will never
be put back
together

© 2010 Christopher Todd Dallas


Author's Note

Christopher Todd Dallas
Stream-of-conscious style, in response to Lola Nation's, "Jazz Piano and Where You Left Me."

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

What a wonderful SOC.. brilliant....

Posted 14 Years Ago


Actually came across this piece after reading Lola Nation's piece, which I loved.

With your piece, I feel like I can grasp the state of mind someone walking a tightrope may find themself in. The uncertainty of accomplishing the act and the very real certainty that if you're not successful...well, you wont really have to worry about failing at anything else in life.

Ah, the tightropes I've walked through life.

Excellent piece.

Posted 14 Years Ago


Like most literature, it's how you, the reader, interprets it. If the author has not sufficiently guided the reader in the general direction (subtle suggestion), then the writer has failed or needs an edit.

In the end, was the reader entertained? Was there enough left to the imagination?

This piece is a combination of elocution, euphony, stream-of-conscious, all with the flavor of desperation bathed in sweat.

In this instance, the protagonist is in a moment, not introspection, but immediate desperation. Maybe the protagonist committed a murder, had an accident, was in some kind of imminent peril.

The image that goes with this is a set of feet on a high wire, one in front of the other. Haute Tension - High Tension. The wire and the protagonist are under tension. I probably should have displayed the image as well.

The best feedback is when the reader can express what the narrative evokes. Then , it's the writer that interprets the reaction and learns from it or is validated.

My formal education majored in Criminal Justice and Computer/Information Systems. I've been an English honors student from high school through college. I'm not an English or literature scholar, just a spectator that can write.

The honest truth is that I have learned the most from Stephen King. Setting the genre aside, he is the best living writer. Others certainly entertain us but their work is ultimately forgettable.

Would you ever tire of reading The Stand or The Gun Slinger?

Discarding punctuation and standard form is a minimalist approach and, when done right, focuses the reader on the narrative.

Poetry, flash/micro/short fiction are well served by introducing intense, well-placed words, use of line-breaks, cutting out prepositions and articles when possible.

Posted 14 Years Ago


Hah, I read this and didn't even see the response, wow. Thank you.

(now back to my review)

I can see the person walking, swaying a little an doing a flex - the long walk, the maintaining a bit of composure, catching the sway and flexing to show you're moving on...

and then... the reality ... no gentle landing, no royal hand outs, no even an army could put the broken, calloused soul back together again...



Posted 14 Years Ago


This is interesting. I wonder if its a metaphor? It could be one for life and a word of caution to "follow the straight and noarrow". I think if you let loose and just write you sometimes don't even realize the topic until you have a chance to stop and examine what you've done.

I'm curious about something. Have you had a formal education in literature?

I like the lack of punctuation and capitalization. It works to make the piece a little edgier.

Posted 14 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

530 Views
5 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on January 26, 2010
Last Updated on January 28, 2010


Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..