Immiscible Pairs

Immiscible Pairs

A Story by jimagain
"

To the unfortunate spectator, they must have presented an apparent contradiction of reason. Beneath the thin veneer of civility was an incompatible mismatch between two immiscible parts.

"
Theirs was a peculiar blend of two incompatible extremes, a relationship built on seemingly disparate incongruencies. Less a union than a tense treaty between adversaries at war; hostile yet tolerant, incompatible yet inseparable. Their mutually exclusive traits somehow melded and fused in some curious anomaly. As far as relationships go, it was more an amalgum of dissimilar entities forged in the furnace of conflict. Each disparity carefully mated to its antithetical counterpart in a reciprocal love-hate state of perpetual disharmony. Together they were a mutinous mismatch of matrimonial dysfunction, immiscible parts paired in a mismatch of irreconcilable differences. To the unfortunate spectator, they must have presented an apparent contradiction of reason, two colliding antagonists, perpetual sparring partners, preferring agitation to resolution.

At first glance, they appear normal but beneath a thin veneer of civility, hostile acts of war prevailed like the constant ebb and flow of the unceasing tide, broken only by a brief interlude between acts of aggression.

No one who knew them pretended to understand the delicate balance that kept them teetering rather than plunging over the brink and into the abyss of self-annihilation. But what is a woman without a man or love without hate? Can order exist without chaos; or logic without reason? Two opposing forces that cant coexist or survive without the other, incompatible yet incomplete without its antithesis. What should have torn them asunder instead held them together, mixed in a curious mortar of mutual repulsion.

Don't ask me to explain this conundrum of social interaction. Perhaps one seeks to find equilibrium with the other? Perhaps this is why opposites attract, why the most unlikely of partners seek their counterpart?

© 2012 jimagain


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

214 Views
Added on December 24, 2012
Last Updated on December 24, 2012
Tags: humor, relationship, marriage, irreconcilable differences, love-hate, irony, matrimony

Author

jimagain
jimagain

Higbee, MO



About
Jimagain' is on the loose. ...confusing dialogue, dangling participles, convoluted thinking, inane and profuse verbiage! My grammar is minimal, deplorable, maybe even criminal, but I'm more con.. more..

Writing
Soul Stare Soul Stare

A Story by jimagain