They're Breaking Through

They're Breaking Through

A Story by Emily
"

Inspired by Muse's song MK Ultra.

"

I bob my head slowly to the calming wave of bass. There was something absolutely peaceful about it, and the music was one of the reasons I liked going to the physician. I read somewhere that it was the wavelength and frequency of the bass that made it so calming.

‘The wavelength gently grows…’

            I looked around the sea green waiting room. Some people had their eyes closed, smiling. The window let in soft light, warming the area around me. The door to the examination room opened soundlessly and a blonde nurse in all white appeared.

“Martin Gold, please,” she called. I stood and followed her.

“Sit here, if you please,” she said smoothly. The chair was reclined, over-stuffed, and leather-upholstered. Above rested a metal head apparatus, much like the women’s hair dryer at the barbershop. Seated comfortably, the nurse left me for the control room. She pushed a button and the gear descended. She leaned into a microphone and lulled me to sleep with her sweet speech.

‘Coercive notions re-evolve…’

Later, as I walked to my home, I saw an elderly man, crouched on the sidewalk in tears.

“Sir,” I said, concerned, “Why are you crying?” His clothes told me he as probably homeless.

“This world, it’s broken, and nobody knows,” he choked out. I eyed him, trying to tell if he was crazy.

“Everything’s fine, sir. Perfect. How do you think it’s not?” The man looked shocked and put out.

“The doctors’ are doin somethin’ with your head!” He shouted.

“No sir,” I said calmly. I entered my home.

‘The universe is trapped inside a tear…’

I turned on my small television and flipped to the news. A woman reported no violence, and no crimes, again. Our world was at peace, quite the opposite of the crazy man’s point of view. The television glitched and I wondered how it was possible. It was practically new. The television glitched again and I could’ve sworn I saw a flash of something. I turned the television off, certain nothing would happen until I turned it on again.


I brushed my brunette hair out of my eyes as I finished preparing my dinner. I put the casserole into the oven just as the phone rang. I picked it up.

“Marty, please, open your eyes. Join us. You have no idea how much we have to fix.” I sighed as my sister made another pointless plea.

“What is wrong? The government is in order and free of debt. Almost no one goes hungry or without doctors. The only thing wrong with my day is that the television glitched!” I heard Cassie sigh deeply.

“Did you go to the doctor’s today?” she asked.

“Yes,” I replied.

“Goodbye, Marty,” she said, and then hung up.

‘How much deception can you take? How many lies will you create? How much longer ‘til you break?’

The following day I entered my company, Tiny Peace, and inhaled. The company newsletter read that a special air mixed with chemicals for “enhanced worker efficiency”. It smelled like strawberries and wildflowers. I gulped the air down eagerly. Slowly, my mind entered a clear, blank state.

‘Your mind’s about to fall…’

 

© 2014 Emily


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

i like this a lot. I write my own music and for a long time i struggled with lyrics. What i had to realize is that a 3-5 minute song doesn't have time to resolve a problem (unless it's a 20+ min progressive band). Music is about a moment and this story you've written mirrors that. i see that this story was inspired by a Muse song so immediatly i was curious how you'd handle it. Even today, i still struggle with wanting to resolve everything. What you've done is create a moment and because there's no real conclusion it really makes you stay and think about that moment.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

i like this a lot. I write my own music and for a long time i struggled with lyrics. What i had to realize is that a 3-5 minute song doesn't have time to resolve a problem (unless it's a 20+ min progressive band). Music is about a moment and this story you've written mirrors that. i see that this story was inspired by a Muse song so immediatly i was curious how you'd handle it. Even today, i still struggle with wanting to resolve everything. What you've done is create a moment and because there's no real conclusion it really makes you stay and think about that moment.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

150 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on February 28, 2014
Last Updated on February 28, 2014
Tags: mk ultra, muse, mind control, brainwashing, future, apocalypse

Author

Emily
Emily

CA



About
Hey, I'm Emily. I go to Los Angeles Valley College, and I write poetry and some short stories. In my free time, I draw, play video games, and play with my dogs Zeke and Roscoe. Zeke is a Great Dane/Bo.. more..

Writing
The Clash The Clash

A Story by Emily


Faye Faye

A Story by Emily