Cubs in a Tree

Cubs in a Tree

A Story by Dianne
"

Yeah, it really did happen that way.

"

 

The year I was nine we were living out in the boonies of Northern Idaho, four miles from Montana and forty miles from Canada. We, Mom, Dad and I, the oldest, and my three younger sisters, were living in a nine by twelve canvas tent erected on top of a log platform to keep the floor dry. There was no electricity, the creek was our running water and refrigerator and I helped dig the outhouse. It was supposedly uninhabited territory but there were five families living out here with the wildlife and a few beef cattle.
 
I explored all over the mountain side, followed the creek up stream till I found the spring it came from, searched out deer with their fawns, chased squirrels up trees and hunted medicinal herbs. Basically I ran wild with out a care in the world and as long as I was back by dark Mom never gave me a thought.
 
On this particular day I was walking through the woods trying to decide if I could get to the top of the hill and back before dark when I spotted a black bear a little closer than I was comfortable with. I quickly made my way to a tree that had branches fairly close to the ground and scrambled up the trunk just as Ma Bear came up. Now I was climbing up, but I was looking intently down watching Ma squat at the foot of the tree watching me. She never made a sound that I remember, just looked up at me like I was some sort of queer trespasser. I didn’t feel threatened, but I decided I should go a little higher just incase.
 
When I turned my attention back to climbing I found my self nearly nose to butt with Baby Bear. Uh, now what?! Baby just sat there hugging the tree and eyeing me trying to figure out what kind of deformed bear I was. I can’t go down so I decided to move around to the other side of the trunk and try to scoot a ways out on the branch. Maybe Baby will head down and concede me the tree? No such luck! After hanging out for a bit I decided to carefully climb on up the tree past Baby. No touching me on my side of the tree! Ok?
 
This wasn’t a big tree and took a bit of maneuvering for us to pass without making contact. I think this is the only time in my life I’ve been within arms reach of an animal and not tried to pet it. Eventually I did reach the higher limb and shortly after that Baby shinnied down and joined Ma and they ambled off. Me, I stayed in that tree for a while before I was ready to climb down and head back home. The hill would have to wait for another day.
 
I never did tell anyone about playing Goldilocks for fear I’d lose my freedom.

© 2008 Dianne


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

What an experience! I envy you! I have come within feet of bear, but always from the saftey of my semi truck cab. This would have been something entirely new. to be so young and brave, and youth was probably what allowed the situation to difuse with out any injury. Supports the belief that animals can sense if you mean to harm or not.

Thanks for sharing this! :)

Posted 16 Years Ago


3 of 3 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

CRIKEY! i've never even seen a bear... pure awesomeness

i love the conversational tone of this piece, i felt like u were telling me this story over coffee or soemthing, you have a very nice narrative voice thats pleasant to read. In fact i would sum up this whole text as being a pleasant read. not too long, not too detailed... just right! (lol sorry i just had to...)

only one thing that hiccuped for me was this bit: following the creek up stream till I found the spring it came from, searched out deer with their fawns, chased squirrels up trees and hunted medicinal herbs.

should it be followed? to match with the rest of the sentence? im no good at this stuff so im not sure...
cheers dianne :)

Posted 15 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

A fantastic adventure and one you will remember for a lifetime. Thank you for sharing such a wonderful moment with us.

Mother bears are smart critters, she knew you were also a 'baby' and was just watching to see what happened.

This is a well written, exciting piece filled with gentleness, a sense of freedom and great imagery.

Well done! A perfect piece of memory for Goldilocks to hold in her heart forever.

Jen-JG

Posted 15 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

This is good, a real life story, with the perfect feelings, emotions and imagery needed to tell the tale.
Well done.

Posted 15 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

I really don't know what I would have done in your situation. I'm more of a tree hugger than a climber. I'm sure having a bear on your trail would get you climibing quickly, though! You were thinking quick and it must have been shocking to see baby bear there.
Your story is well told and a fascinating adventure!

Posted 15 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Aww, what an experience! I bet it was pretty frightening at the time, and it's lucky you and Baby found a way to shimmy around and work things out without angering Mama too much. I laugh when I picture the looks these two bears are giving you - the mother watching you climb up her baby's tree ("Uuuuh, WHAT does she think she's doing??" and the baby trying to figure out what kind of deformed bear you are - classic!

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

God and Nature gave you a gift, that very few every get with this experience!
I'm happy that you were able to share it with us here on the WC

Great Journey! :)

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

What an experience! I envy you! I have come within feet of bear, but always from the saftey of my semi truck cab. This would have been something entirely new. to be so young and brave, and youth was probably what allowed the situation to difuse with out any injury. Supports the belief that animals can sense if you mean to harm or not.

Thanks for sharing this! :)

Posted 16 Years Ago


3 of 3 people found this review constructive.

Wonderful story...! Not to mention the fact that you are lucky to have survived! I'll send it to Nature's Feet...I bet you two will have a field day talking about such things...;)

I really enjoyed this. Thank you for the send. (You only need to change loose to lose).

Please send another.

Daniel

Posted 16 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.


2
next Next Page
last Last Page
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

827 Views
18 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on March 26, 2008
Last Updated on April 29, 2008

Author

Dianne
Dianne

Livermore, CA



About
I'm a new writer. Oh, I've written stuff for work and such over the years, technical writing, lesson plans, resumes; you know the usual stuff of life. Instead I was always a reader. I read like crazy .. more..

Writing
Child of Gaia Child of Gaia

A Story by Dianne


Yes we can! Yes we can!

A Story by Dianne


I am alone I am alone

A Story by Dianne



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Doubt Doubt

A Poem by Tania Leigh


I Quit I Quit

A Poem by Tania Leigh


The Deal The Deal

A Poem by Tania Leigh