An Evolving Moment of Beauty

An Evolving Moment of Beauty

A Story by diego1187
"

the ups and downs of a peculiar college student who is yet a man but no longer a boy. who at moments has all the advantages anyone could have to none at all.

"

“Mr. Neuhaus I am going to read this out loud and I would like you to pay close attention. You wrote this as your personal statement and before we go on discussing it, I just wish for both of us to be in the same page. Are we clear?”

 

The old man’s eyes where sharp and direct, there was a clear demeanor to his face. His posture, relaxed and controlled, posed as a sign of fulfillment. The black leather chair, the polished oak desk, the bay view"these possessions the old man had, seemed worthless to the young man before him. And as he sat his 62 years atop his chair, he held a straight look above his rested glasses and was now clearly waiting for Diem’s response.

 

 “Yes Sir”

 

Many prospect students had sat in that chair, in front of the old man. But Diem however, exfoliated a different aura. One the old man had not seen in a while before him.  Diem’s face had kept unchanged from the moment he came in " Arrogance the old man thought at first. Yet, it was not arrogance what the old man felt, he quickly corrected himself " It was composure.

 

           

“Very well”

 

At that moment and without hesitation, without a sign of his age, the old man raised his left hand to fix his glasses. He then quickly went on to pick up the single paper atop his desk and soon started to read.

 

“My name is Diego Durand, but I go by Diem Neuhaus.

I possess tranquility and it became ever-present in my late teens, just before I became a man.

 

I enjoy the pleasures life can offer. And my goal in life is to soak myself in them. Have clear though, I mean more than what you believe by this; music, love, knowledge; are a few and are not in order " There is to be no order.

Regardless of the chaos my life could take, I have a very clear goal for my life. Yet I live in the moment, and more so than anyone you probably associate with, which is the reason for this illusionary chaos...

 

Because of experience and other factors, distinguishing who is up the-par of my persona has fallen easy to me… and it has become clear there is a vast amount of people which are not up the-par. Men and women alike…

 

I can understand and fit within a whole spectrum of souls - from the drugged-out-battered man on the verge of suicide, to the Sunday-church-grandmother of my girlfriend. I have shredded my skin multiple times, but always kept the same body underneath… Always kept my serenity and because of this, I was able to take with me what I needed to learn from these lives. I took the best in them as I could, and molded it to fit my persona, and to fit my string of thought and reason.

I have met only but a couple sand grains in the dessert… which is why I realize I know only a miniscule fraction. But through life"once in a while"I'll find a man or woman which will astound me with their words or actions… These peoples are so clear minded it takes months, possibly years or at the mere minimum weeks to understand them. These people I found to be exceptionally happy or extremely depressed; they also range from moderately to remarkably eccentric. And I have found riotously"through peoples reactions"That I am unable to escape this apparent law... Honestly though, I don't mind it one bit, as it holds no importance regarding my goals.”

 

A silence soon filled the room, one which notably lasted a few seconds. Then the old man started the motion of setting the paper down. His eyes were again dead set on Diem Neuhaus.

 

“Now Mr.Neuhaus did you really believe this is the sort of personal statement we look forward to reading”

The words came whole and complete; the old man talked firmly. He knew who he was " dean of admission at UC Berkeley.

“Sir, I would certainly hope so. The instructions given to me state that the purpose of a personal statement is for the reader to get a clear picture of the type of person I am. I believe I achieved that"”

 

 

“Stop there. Listen son this is the problem I was afraid of. You are too sure of yourself. This personal statement of yours is drastically shorter than what UC Berkeley would like, plus the institution doesn’t want to know how you fit with a drugged-out battered man” As the words escaped the old man’s lips, he took a second to examine the young man’s face " There had been no change. No sign of weakness or a cry for help. Due to the situation, the old man had expected to see the looks of a fallen soldier begging for a helping hand. Yet, there was no change on Diem’s face… The old man continued “Now I don’t want you to get the wrong idea we have granted you an interview because the committee does believe you might be UC Berkeley material. But let’s start by saying this personal statement of yours, as interesting as it may be, is not the ideal personal statement we look forward to reading”

 

 

 

“Mr. Schultz pardon me if this does sound out of line. But I followed the instructions as they where given to me. I believe any person who reads that piece of paper which sits atop your desk, will know me better than many of my acquaintances.”

 

The old man knew Diem was right. He had envisioned him clearly from the moment he had first read that personal statement "The old man had simply not believed the man actually existed. Now, this posed as more of a problem than a blessing for the old man.

 

“Oh dear, you are really something uh? On a personal note, let me tell you I do believe you did do a marvelous job in your personal statement " you are just as I imagined. Regardless though, let me explain to you the situation. We, and note I include myself, typically search for students who show clear interest in their intended major. This becomes an even more crucial factor for transfer applicants. Mr. Neuhaus so far you showed close to cero interest towards your major. Your personal statement doesn’t mention economics at all and besides the classes you have previously taken, there is nothing which assures us any commitment from your part”

 

“Mr. Schultz. My goal is not necessarily to study economics.”

 

“What?”

 

“Sir, as I stated clearly in my personal statement, I only wish for the freedom to enjoy the pleasures life has to offer. Now have in mind, knowledge" the possession of it"I consider a pleasure. And my commitment in life is to that goal " to have an ultimate freedom. Freedom to do art, politics and any other extravagant idea I could come to think off. Please allow me to explain this in another way: I don’t want money to have money. Or for some specific things I could do with it. I want money so my life could not be restrained by it. Do you understand what I am saying? The full expressions of ones life without restrain " that’s what I wish for, and actually I wish it for everyone… but sadly, this world does not allow for this very easily and capitalism"”

“Wait. How would you pretend to reach such a high goal Mr. Neuhaus?”

 “…A first step would be entering UC Berkeley and next one would be graduating atop of my class. Yet that’s"” The voice suddenly stopped and Diem’s face had at last soften. There was no longer a reason for him to speak or be in that office for that matter. In the middle of his sentenced he had stopped, taken a deep breath and was now staring directly into the eyes of a troubled old man.

 

“This is a sad day for me Mr. Neuhaus, one which I will remember. I would like to very much help you and grant you acceptance. God knows someone like you deserves to receive the best education there is. But as dean of admissions I have to follow the rules I’ve help create. And because of this, I cannot grant you admission to UC Berkeley. This university is very prestigious son and one of the reasons for this, is because we admit students who hold a passion towards their major. This is UC Berkeley policy. And as dean it is my duty to make sure all accepted applicants comply with this policy. I wish the very best for you, but this is not the school you are meant to be in.”

 

“Sir… I understand and cannot object your ruling. I do wish I had known the importance of this policy beforehand and I have to say UC Berkeley should make this information more commonly known to prospect students. It would save men like you and me some time”

 

“Haha, Mr Neuhaus your persona doesn’t seize to amaze me. I truly wish for you to reach your goals. Now, go on, I’m sure you have things to attend to, as do I.”

 

And as Diem stood, he stretched his hand to shake the old man’s hand…

 

Oh and if you don’t mind me asking, what other schools have you applied to?

 

None I’m staying in Mesa College

 

What? you are surely not planning to graduate from there, are you?

 

Diem let go of the hand and for the first time and ounce of hesitation was shown in this room.

 

“Good bye Mr Schultz.”

 

 

“Make something happen son”

 

“I will”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Dan wake up

 

What

 

Look at the moon rise

 

Gabi go back to bed

 

No seriously look, I never seen it so bright and big. Its beautiful Dan I wished it was liked that always. Please Dan look.

 

Okay, Okay.

 

 

 

Dan Malloy was president of the student Government at Mesa College. He was also president of the UNICEF club and Vice president of the Stock market club. He had over the course of two years nothing less than a stellar GPA " His transcript read all A’s. Adding to this, he had by far the best Tennis record in Mesa College and was thought to have the brightest future by most of his peers at Mesa College.

 

“Diem! How’d it go?”

“bad”

Uh, why? I thought you were in for sure”

“What happened?”

“He basically said I can’t be accepted due to my lack of passion towards economics”

“What?! are you serious? Dude, you are a smart guy, you are one of the few idiots that actually understands whatever is put in front of you”

“Maybe so, but it still doesn’t change the fact that he was right”

“What? What are you talking about?

“you know I don’t care about economics really”

“Diem… shut the f**k up, you love economics, in one way or another you relate it to everything, you’re f*****g amazing at grasping the concepts and putting the dots together. You know you love it.

“I don’t love it, it’s interesting and I’m good at it. That’s it. I told you this in 2 f*****g languages”

“But you are so good at it, you know you love it”

“Dan shut up already”

“All I’m saying Diem is you should of f*****g tried and told the admission’s guy otherwise”

“And Why would I do that”

“So you get in dumb-f**k”

“Listen Dan, and listen carefully, cuz’ I don’t feel like being interrogated about this the whole night. Truth is, if I had to get in - I mean " If I needed to get in, I suppose I would of lied but I didn’t okay?”

If you needed to get in?! ...Dude, helloooo? You didn’t get in and you didn’t apply anywhere else. Now you have to wait one full year before you can get out of this shithole college”

Dan chill man, the classes are good here, and I will keep my GPA high and then I can send my transcripts again. Plus I get to surf for one more year - which I love. So maybe, this is a much better option for me”

Diem you belong somewhere else than a public college and YOU know that”

“so…?”

“So get out of mesa college for Christ sakes! F**k man!”

“Breathe Dan you seem quite upset”

Diem…”

No Dan seriously, you want me to get you some water, you are looking kinda of pale, I’m getting worried for you”

Diem c’mon”

No c’mons dan, just shut the f**k up about it and don’t patronize me. Why do you care so much? You know I’m going to be perfectly fine.

I do… but bro-“

But nothing. You should be pissed drunk right now celebrating you got accepted to freacking Columbia… lets go out and try to make the best of the night before its too late. I’m really happy for you and this is your night. PlusiIs Friday and I really don’t need any speeches right now.

“… I don’t get you man”

“There is nothing to get. I always get what I want and sometimes I even get more, that’s all.”

“Didn’t you want to get into Berkeley?”

“That my friend was something that actually fell under the category of more”

“Then what do you actually want uh?

“Tonight I want to get drunk and get laid; so let’s go out already”

You know you’re weird right?

Haha you are not very normal either

 Okay, okay… I’ll take a shower and call Katie

No, no. No calling Katie tonight

“What?”

Everytime you go out with Katie you just seat in a corner with her and talk. And as the night goes on and the alcohol goes into your bloodstream that conversation become more and more aggressive. And you know I have to start mitigating the two of you”

“Dude nah-“

“Not tonight Dan. I’m sorry, but I won’t baby sit the two of you tonight. Lately every time we gone out I had to keep the two of you from killing each other. Besides sorry if this offends you, but you ought to break that off already, that girl is just trouble, even when she is sober. She is just a spoiled little rich b***h”

“Diem, now you better shut the f**k up”

“Sure… but no Kate tonight. I’m firm on this.”

“But I want to see her”

“Then go see her. I told you my plans”

“Uh?”

“Dan, I’m going to Jax’s and I’m buying a bottle for you. But you and Katie-drinking together always ends up bad, period. I don’t mind you bringing girls, just not Katie. She is what society calls drama and I don’t need that around me now”

“Okay okay but just shut up about it”

“Truth hurts uh? hehe”

“Shut up fool”

“Alright, but go shower b***h”

“What you call me”

“Go b***h.”

© 2011 diego1187


Author's Note

diego1187
this is just a brainstorm session with a few revisions... i am really considering making a novel. i never written anything nor do i write much else than texts, but want feedback of any sorts. i jut hope this little rant my brain had is entertaining enough.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

This was an interesting write. From one noob to another, WC seems to translate dashes and ellipses from Word into quotations -

I saw some good stuff in here. The contrasting views - A composed young man, far wiser than his years, and the callow teen who fights with his girlfriend whenever he's had a few. It could work really well. Everyone is a mix of wise man and fool, noble and low.

I really think this character could be a novel. I think the readers will want to know what happens to him...

Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

205 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on December 20, 2011
Last Updated on December 20, 2011
Tags: coming of age, college, man, young, student

Author

diego1187
diego1187

About
i am me more..