The Last Letter

The Last Letter

A Story by Dikshita Reddy
"

Short love story

"
The house was quite. When Rose walked in, Alex, her four- year-old son, was asleep on the sofa and Mrs. Bloom was writing. Rose placed the grocery bag on the kitchen counter and looked back at Mrs. Bloom.

Helena Bloom and Rose’s friendship began when Rose volunteered to get groceries as old Mrs. Bloom was ill to do it herself and in return, Mrs.Bloom offered to babysat Alex.

The grizzled hair Mrs. Bloom’s eyes are glued to a sheet of paper.

“May I help you with it?”
Rose asked, curious as to whom Mrs. Bloom was writing with such an interest.

“Thank you, Dear, but I’d like to write it myself but can you post it for me.”
Rose nodded in agreement.
“Who are you writing to?”

“George. The man I always loved.” Her grey eyes lit up as his name left her mouth.

“How about I make us a cup of tea and you can tell me all about him.

Mrs. Bloom sipped her oolong.

“I was a new girl in the college, and we both were in the drama club. I disliked him in the
beginning, thought he was spoilt and a bully. As time passed by, I got to know him better. He was kind and funny and mischievous. He once gave up a lead role in the play so his friend could pursue acting as his career. Then on, I spent a lot of time with George, and we exchanged letters. It was our thing.  We loved each other, and I still do.”

To Mrs.Bloom, Rose reminded her of George. She was kind, cheery and had a great sense of humor.

“Why did you guys break-up?” Rose asked.
“His father was arrogant, selfish, narcissistic and a condescending b*****d. He treated George like his personal dancing lion in a circus. He found out about us and ordered George to break-up with me but he never expected George would fight back.”

She paused for a minute recalling the memories in her mind. They were vivid, like it had happened yesterday.

“So, he approached me and said he would cut-off George from his inheritance and used his blue-blood influence to get me kicked out of college. George being a lawyer was his mother’s dream and after her death, it became his. Being a lawyer was his life’s purpose. “

“So, you ended things with him.”

Mrs.Bloom placed her cup on the table and carefully placed the letter on the side table.

“Yes and I moved to Manchester. I’m writing  to apologize to him, for not giving him a chance to make a decision. It should have been our decision not just mine. It’s been in my mind since I last saw him a month ago in Manchester. I asked the shopkeeper his address, and I’m writing the last letter.”

“Why don’t you meet him face to face?”

“He is happy. He may have a family of his own. I don’t want to disrupt his life because I feel guilty for the decision I made decades ago. What if he doesn’t remember me or doesn’t care?”

That night, Rose tossed and turned in bed unable to stop the haunting thoughts in her mind. What would have happened if she had told Adam (Alex’s dad) about Alex. Should she have given him a chance to decide? What would he do if she tells him about Alex now? What if he has family?
She knew one thing for sure, she should convince Bloom to hand-deliver the
letter.

In the morning, after sending Alex to school, Rose knocked on Bloom’s door, and it went
unanswered. She used the spare key and stepped in to find Bloom lay asleep peacefully on the sofa. Her skin was pale and body stiff.  Tears filled Rose’s eyes as she dialed 911.

The door opened and a man with hooked nose appeared. He adjusted his glasses and squinted at Rose and Alex beside her.
“Can I help you, love?”
“George Grant?”
He nodded.
“Uh…I’m…I’m here on behalf of Helena Blooms. I have a letter from her.”
There was a  flash of surprise on his face.
“Come in,”
She sat on the sofa, waiting in silence as George read the letter.

“Uncle?”
Rose’s eyes froze on the man’s familiar face.
“Rose?” Surprised, he stood near the door, hands tucked in his jeans pocket.
“Adam!”
Rose’s heartbeat spiked. She wet her dry  lips and stared at him in loss of words.

“It’s letter from Helena.” George said. Adam worried, sat beside George and placed a comforting hand around him.
“Why didn’t she come?”
“She wanted to but she passed away this morning. I’m sorry.”  She swallowed a lump as sobs escaped George. It was heart-breaking.
Rose glanced at Adam who was starting at Alex who looked like miniature Adam.
They have the  same grey eyes   and square jaw.
“I should go. I’m sorry George.”
Adam followed her to the door. She looked at his questions eyes and uttered: “yes”.

After the funeral, Rose sat on the bench beside Adam. Both of them watching Alex talk with George.
“Why didn’t you tell me before?”

“I didn’t know until you left NY. I wanted to tell you but I thought you would have moved on.”

“George, my uncle,  never married. He always loved her and still does.”

“Neither did she.”
“What about you? Do you wanna give us another chance? “

She placed her hand in his and rested her head on his shoulder.

© 2020 Dikshita Reddy


Author's Note

Dikshita Reddy
I wanna improve my writing, so please share your honesty opinion.good or bad.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

18 Views
Added on April 12, 2020
Last Updated on April 12, 2020
Tags: Love, romance, short-story

Author

Dikshita Reddy
Dikshita Reddy

Bangalore, Karnataka, India



About
Amature writer... more..