A Songfilled Beggar

A Songfilled Beggar

A Story by Lizzy
"

wrote this based on the following prompt: Write about a beggar who loves to hear himself sing.

"

Sam Harper stood on the same street corner that he had stood on everyday for the last five weeks. His nails were caked with dirt, his hair was a rat’s nest and his beard covered his neck. The cardboard sign in his hand was bent; the words “Homeless Veteran Please Help” were barely visible. But Sam didn’t care; he was just thankful to be alive.


As the day went on more and more cars rolled by and the money in his jar started to stack up, not because of his sign but rather his singing. Sam loved to sing, had loved singing since he was a little boy. The songs he sang varied; he just sang whatever came to his mind. His voice was filled with passion, so much passion that even the most tone deaf person could see how much these songs meant to him.


That spring day was a pivotal moment in Sam Harper’s life. A passing motorist who heard his sing during her lunch break was a reporter for a local news channel. Three hours later she came back with a camera crew to interview Sam, the interview that changed his life.


Her interview with Sam aired the next day and by the evening was played on the major networks and even YouTube. That interview was seen by a secretary of a record label, who showed the YouTube video to her boss. The record executive loved the sound of Sam’s voice and immediately booked a flight to Phoenix to find him.


On Friday afternoon Sam was singing on his street corner when the record executive approached him and offered to buy him lunch. The discussion over a Big Mac meal led to Sam leaving Phoenix for the bright lights of LA.


And the rest as they say is history.

© 2013 Lizzy


Author's Note

Lizzy
the title sucks so any recommendations would be great

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Lizzy, I with Marie on this one, I think 'Sam' is right. Good story, maybe could have been longer, but well done.
Will

Posted 10 Years Ago


You're right; the title sucks, though the story doesn't. You could just call it "Sam" or "Sam's Story."

Posted 10 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

189 Views
2 Reviews
Added on May 20, 2013
Last Updated on May 20, 2013

Author

Lizzy
Lizzy

Mesa, AZ



Writing
Dog Gone Lucky Dog Gone Lucky

A Story by Lizzy


Duke's Duty Duke's Duty

A Story by Lizzy