Duke's Duty

Duke's Duty

A Story by Lizzy
"

prompt: write about a pet with a job

"

Duke was a strong and loyal German Sheppard. He loved his owners and loved his wife, Bonnie. He would wake as the sun rose and bark a warning to his master. Then his day would really start. He’d enjoy some kibble with his wife and pups before heading out the front door to work.


Duke’s owner Bill was a hard worker, supporting a wife, two children and four dogs. His lack of college education didn’t hinder his ability to provide for his family. After spending four years in the Navy, Bill was just grateful to have a job on land. But his favorite part of the job was that Duke was able to work with him.


Duke loved Bill, almost as much as he loved Bonnie. He enjoyed his job because he got to spend more time with his loving owner and other rough but sweet men. He loved that he spent his days in the warm sun and his nights curled up in his dog bed with his wife and two pups at the foot of his owner’s bed. The men Duke worked with appreciated having a dog to guard them as they built buildings in the gang filled part of town.


Most of Duke’s day was spent at the entrance to the construction site, making sure no vandals tried to get in. On the occasions that a visitor stopped by, he would sniff them and their vehicles to check for dangerous weapons. He was a great guard and the best friend any man could ask for.

© 2013 Lizzy


Author's Note

Lizzy
just a fun little story

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Lizzy, a good discriptive piece in such a short story.
Well Done.
Will

Posted 10 Years Ago


i would quite like to see more of this i really enjoyed it

Posted 10 Years Ago


nice story.. definitely room to expand.. love the realistic nature of his job.

Posted 10 Years Ago


A wonderful dog, to be sure.

Posted 10 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

204 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Added on May 21, 2013
Last Updated on May 21, 2013

Author

Lizzy
Lizzy

Mesa, AZ



Writing
Dog Gone Lucky Dog Gone Lucky

A Story by Lizzy


XXX-Mas Presents XXX-Mas Presents

A Story by Lizzy