Phase One

Phase One

A Story by Debbie Barry
"

A short crime/mystery story, which may become something more later.

"


After reading the note, I take a better look at the items in the box. What in the world?! I glance again at the note.


"Phase one of what?" I ask the open air.


The first item I notice is a cork. It appears to have come from a wine bottle, based on the dark stains on the narrow end. The top of the cork is imprinted with an elaborate script letter "B."


The next item is a playing card. The back is showing, and is black with a gold foil line just in from the outer edfe, all the way around. I slip my fingertip under the edge of the card, and flip it over. It's a seven of diamonds. My confusion increases.


The third item was partly covered by the card, but is now exposed. It's a grainy photograph of a face, but the person is back-lit, at the features are almost impossible to see. Only the three-quarter outline of the right side of the forehead and cheek are clear, and the glint of a left eye, but it's not even clear whether it's a man or a woman. Much clearer is the fire behind the subject, which is obviously consuming a beautifully Victorian mansion, complete with a round tower.


The fourth item is even more perplexing. What's that doing in this boox?! It's a large metal ring with three heavy, old-fashioned keys attached to it. Someone has painted a cross on the shaft of the middle key, with what looks like red nail polish.


The fifth item catches my attention. This looks promising. It's a Visa gift card -- the shiny, silver kind. I tentatively pick it up, then look at the back. The scratch-strip is intact, so it may not have been used. There's no clue to how much might be on in.


I take out the note again, tuck it into my pocket, grateful for large cargo pockets, and then close the box. I type the number into my phone. My finger is about to press "Call," when I hear a step behind me.


"Everything okay over here, Sugar?" drawls a deep, rich, velvet voice.


"Hey, Josh," I manage.


I look up at the tall, broad-shouldered man. My boss's voice suits him, and I'm grateful that he's always a big teddybear.


"Everything's great," I assure him, tucking the phone into another pocket. "Just havin' a look at what needs done over here."


The call will wait.

© 2017 Debbie Barry


Author's Note

Debbie Barry
Ignore editing errors and typos. This is a new genre for me, and just a beginning. First reactions and constructive criticism appreciated.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

114 Views
Added on October 19, 2017
Last Updated on October 19, 2017
Tags: crime, mystery, note

Author

Debbie Barry
Debbie Barry

Clarkston, MI



About
I live with my husband in southeastern Michigan with our two cats, Mister and Goblin. We enjoy exploring history through French and Indian War re-enactment and through medieval re-enactment in the So.. more..

Writing