Undying Flames

Undying Flames

A Story by Dana

Near the colossal tree that stands triumphantly towards the back of my property, a cool river flows. There is a tire swing that extends from the branches and over the water.That night, I was going to meet my two best friends, Catalina and Rob, at the bank of the river like we do every year on the last day of summer since second grade. Now that my school career is dwindling down, this would be our final inclusive goodbye to the summer months before we went off to college.

As I began to leave for the tree, I reminisced about our memories that took place in its presence. As our relationships with each other deepened, I began to realize that  I was always the most cautious.  I spent countless summer days swinging over the water, never daring to take the leap. Thanks to Rob and Catalina’s teasing, I would eventually sum up the courage to let go of the swing and fly into the air, landing into the water.  It was then that I came to the conclusion that since I will begin my college life soon, it was time to say goodbye to the old me, and welcome a more adventurous self.

Naturally, I was the first one there, as punctuality is important to me. Coincidentally, I hate waiting. To pass the time I skipped rocks across the river,yet another thing Rob taught me to do. I have learned so much from him, like how to get free ice cream at the gas station and how to blow bubbles with bubble gum. I must admit every time we are together, I feel something in the pit of my stomach best described as the stereotypical butterflies, and I hang onto every word he lets out. Perhaps it was our friendship that slowly crawled into my heart, but tonight, I am planning something brave for our final get together before I travel to Stanford.

Finally, Catalina arrived. I informed her about my plan, pleading for her blessing. Luckily, she was excited for me, exclaiming in her dramatic voice, “I always thought you two would be so adorable!” Anxious, we began to scheme under the mesmerizing sunset. I began to become even more worried due to the fact that it was getting late, and he still had not appeared. It seemed like i counted every second that passed hoping that his appearance was imminent. Finally, at midnight, Catalina exclaimed,

“That’s it! We are not waiting any longer! How could he forget about us?” I tried to stay hopeful; he couldn’t have abandoned us on this monumental day.

“C'mon,” she said, grabbing my hand,” let’s go back to your house. The bugs are killing me.” Tearfully, I followed her back into my room.

The next morning I woke up excited. I had not yet remembered the events which took place last night. I preceded to get up and check my cell phone. To my astonishment, there were seven missed calls; all of them were from Rob’s landline.  A wave of emotions hit me: anger, disappointment, joy, etc, until I called back.

His mom Katherine picked up the first ring, “Sarah! Oh my god, I’m so sorry!”

Confused, I replied, “Kathy, what's wrong?”

“Rob died last night in a freak fire.”

The last thing I remember before I fainted is looking into the mirror and seeing Rob standing right behind me, waving a pale ghostly hand.

Months later during Thanksgiving break I gathered the courage to return back to the tree. As I walked towards it I noticed a burning smell. It grew stronger as I became closer. I started to run, trying to escape the thought that Rob was still following me.

To my surprise, as soon as I arrived at the great monstrosity of the tree I was shocked to discover the tree appeared to be charred. I touched it, and it still emminated heat. When i took my shaking fingers off the bark, I noticed my hand was covered in the black substence. However, the farther I pulled back from the tree, the more the charcoal covered me.  As I stumbled away, the black powder latched itself to my arm and grasped it with authority. Next, my arm started to crumble as if it as a log that had been set on fire and was discovered in the morning. Petrified, I tried to scream, but no sound would come out.  I heard a whispering in my ear.

It demanded, “Close your eyes and come with me...”

© 2012 Dana


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

190 Views
Added on October 23, 2012
Last Updated on October 23, 2012
Tags: mystery, suspense, thriller, ending, feedback, love, death, ghost, haunted, summer, read

Author

Dana
Dana

Writing