If You Are a First-Time Author - Don't Do This

If You Are a First-Time Author - Don't Do This

A Chapter by Donna Sozio

The 11 Most Common Mistakes

First-Time Authors Make without Even Realizing It

 

1. Not Connecting With a Large Audience

Although there is something inherently romantic about obscurity, there must be an element in your book that connects with at least half of humanity for it to be successful.  I’m not kidding.  Take The Da Vinci Code, for example.  This book was about an incredibly obscure sect within the Roman Catholic Church.  Yet, the Da Vinci Code has sold over 60 million copies.   

 

Its success wasn’t due to its award winning writing.  This book became wildly popular because it hit a universal nerve.  Its story appealed to every person on the face of the earth who has ever questioned religious doctrine.  Although hitting this universal nerve made it commercial fiction, the book was just as compelling as it was thought provoking.     

 

Dan Brown would have made a huge mistake when looking for an agent if he positioned his book to appeal only to the group about whom he was actually writing about. Which is to say that the potential audience of your book is wider than just your subject.  When you unearth your book’s universal elements… especially those that hit an universal nerve, you’ve got a potential bestseller.       

 

If in doubt, think of it this way.  The larger your audience, the larger your book advance.  Even if your book is about something obscure, you must position its appeal as universal in your submission.   

 

 

 

2.  An Expectation That the Publishing Industry Owe Us Something

 

Literary agents and publishers ask a lot of us.  They want us to do the work up front without even the promise of a penny.  They expect an idea that is fully cooked, in a book that is already written, edited and ready to roll.  On top of that, they want a well thought out typo-free book proposal and/or query letter.  These days, it may feel like you have to attach a Hollywood star to your book to get signed by an agent.  (Which, by the way, isn’t a half bad idea.) 

 

Well, that’s just what I call “The Deal,” even if it seems like a raw one.  Agents expect your best work up front and on spec because it’s the only way they can judge the quality of your work.

 

Say you’re developing some prime real estate property.  Would you hire a contractor to build your house just because he had some great ideas?  I hope not.  Most likely, you’d want to see an example of his finished work before you signed a contract.  Perhaps, you also want a list of references.

 

The same goes for literary agents and writers.  An agent or publishers needs to see your finished product before they sign you.  Simply to see what you can build.  Once you have a successful track record, the rules change.  Then if you play your cards right, you won’t write on spec anymore.  

 

 

 

3.  Hiding Your Book’s Bestelling Concept 

 

Many writers have the goods but they hide their own mega blockbuster idea.  They inadvertently down play it down under too much confusing background information.  Or they don’t express it in a succinct to the point engaging way. 

 

When a proposal is foggy, it’s hard for an agent to see what is in front of him.  Although literary agents and editors may enjoy collecting old books, they aren’t archeologists.  They don’t excavate your query letter or book proposal looking for treasure. If your bestselling concept doesn’t pop out and bite them on the nose, the fate of your submission is doomed to join the Slush Pile.

 

It’s safe to assume that literary agents and editors have very poor vision.  In fact, their vision is so bad that it’s your job to make them see the value of your work.  You can’t count on an agent to just know that your book is a bestseller without at least a little illumination. 

 

Humility may be a virtue but not when you’re selling your book.  Don’t be humble about your saleable concept that connects with half of humanity.  Don’t explain when you can entertain.  Instead, take what I call the Newly Engaged approach.  Turn the spotlight on your diamond.  Only then can you expect a crowd of admirers. 

 

 

 

4.  Thinking Good Enough Is Enough

 

Once my publisher didn’t get back to me right away about something I thought was important.  I emailed my agent to ask if I should worry.  His response was that when he was an editor at HarperCollins, there were days when he didn’t have time to pee.

 

I took his response to heart.  Publishing is an industry that is so overworked and harried that no one even has time to use the bathroom!

 

Whenever I pitch anyone in publishing, I use this as a litmus test.  Is my concept powerful enough to keep a harried, hurried and bathroom-starved literary agent or editor reading, even if her toes are tapping? 

 

If the answer is no, then it’s back to the drawing board.  My work isn’t done.   

 

 

 

5.  Quitting Too Early

 

Alas, this is the mistake that most first-time authors make that hurts the most.  How often have you heard of a writer who submits to five agents, receives a few rejection letters in the mail, and then gives up? 

 

Perhaps they say, “Oh well, I tried.”  Or they shrug off the whole thing with the perennial excuse, “If it was meant to be, it would have happened.”  That is an example of conventional wisdom at its worst.   

 

Rather unconventional wisdom says, “It will be when you make it happen.”  If you can write a saleable book, you can write an enticing and savory submission that will land you a literary agent and a publishing contract.       

 

Chances are that writers who weakly submit actually want to be rejected.  One of the golden rules in life is that you get one for every ten.  If you submit to only half a dozen agents, that doesn’t even add up to ten to get your one.  And you gave up?  That’s like fishing with a one-pound line when you want to hook a whopper.  It’s a set-up for failure.  Not success.

 

 

 

6.  Submitting Too Early

 

We are all legends in our own mind.  Rightfully so, we should be.   Yet, when it comes to getting published this can stand in your way.  Often the thrill of finishing your book – especially if it’s your first - is so monumental that you are like a horse bucking at the gate ready to race off into literary stardom.  After all, you’ve written The Next Big Thing. 

 

OK.  Here’s the thing about The Next Big Thing. 

 

No matter how great your book is, never submit a first draft.  Just don’t do it.  Although your book is “finished,” it isn’t finished.  Instead, first drafts are only ready for rewrites and professional opinions.  The same goes for your query letter and book proposal. 

 

In fact, you should wait a month after finishing your first draft before you begin to rewrite.  If you do, this I can guarantee after rereading it a month later, you will be so relieved that you didn’t submit it because most likely you want to change at least 30% of your book. 

 

So, how do you know when your book is ready to submit to literary agents?    

 

Once you have a deep understanding of why great writers seclude themselves in the woods, your manuscript is ready for submission.

 

After you’ve wanted to throw your computer out your window at least fifteen times, your query letter is ready for submission.

 

After you’ve received a professional opinion either from a book editor, story consultant or an esteemed writing teacher, your manuscript is ready for submission. 

 

If you’re still temped to submit your first draft, think of a track event at the Olympics.  When an athlete jumps the gun, they’re disqualified from the race.  There’s no do over.

 

  

HOT TIP #1

 If you are writing fiction, first-time authors must have their manuscript finished before submitting to literary agents or publishing houses.  I also suggest this for non-fiction.  It’s a stronger move to be a first-time author of a potential bestseller than present yourself as a first-time author of a book you haven’t written yet. 

 

 

 

 

7.  Procrastination

 

Ah, procrastination.  Friend or foe?  Procrastination wants you to think it’s your friend.  It wants you think something else is more important than finishing your book, book proposal or query letter.  Yet, the answer is that nothing is more important.  Unless, you let it be.  As Seinfeld once said, “Tonight is tomorrow’s worst enemy.” 

 

The best way to beat procrastination at its own game is to procrastinate procrastination.  Or just eradicate it completely.  Whenever you feel the need to procrastinate, set a clicker for an hour.  Then tell yourself that after another hour of work you’ll let yourself procrastinate. 

 

Chances are that one hour will turn into two hours of great work.  After you make it through what I lovingly refer to as the Procrastination Hump you’re off and running.  Until, of course, you take a legitimate break. 

 

You know the saying, “Nothing tastes as good as skinny feels.”  When you’re in the submission process and procrastination tries to make you to think that you’re hungry, remember… nothing feels as good as done.   

 

*** The above was an excerpt from Donna Sozio's eCourse The Secret Rules of Publishing: What Every First-Time Author Needs to Know.  All Rights Reserved.***

 

 



© 2008 Donna Sozio


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

This was pretty helpful. Thanks for sharing this excerpt. Of course, I have heard some of this before, but the procrastinating procrastination tip is one I'll have to keep in mine. Thanks.

Posted 14 Years Ago


Thank you so much for sharing this information. I haven't quite decided if I want to get published or not but it's good to keep these things in mind when I'm writing.

Posted 16 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

236 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on March 17, 2008


Author

Donna Sozio
Donna Sozio

Los Angeles, CA



About
*** I'm Here to Help First-time Authors Get Published!*** I sold my first book to a major publisher in just three weeks. I show all first-time authors how to do it in my eCourse The Secret Rules o.. more..

Writing