Chapter Ten: Strange Times

Chapter Ten: Strange Times

A Chapter by The old me

I watch Chip for about an hour talking to the three men. He looks like he is even directing them. It’s a quick ending to the discussion and two of them leave. I don’t get a chance to see the face of the man in red or the other man in the green robe. Left there is Chip and a man in blue. They talk for a bit and they both spilt. So do I.

I quickly go home and try to sleep. But my mind is racing and trying to think what is going on. Suddenly my alarm goes off and it’s already time for work. I get ready and I head off. I stop for my normal coffee. After that I soon arrive at the police station. I walk and see Chip. I go up to and talk to him. I need to pertain I know nothing.

“Are ready to go check out that pool again?”

“Remember we have that FBI meeting first.”

“Oh yeah, sorry, I’m so tired.”

“Me too.”

“O did you go out last night after we talked?”

“No, I just didn’t sleep well.”

I caught him in a lie. We walk off to conference room. Captain Taylor is standing at the head of the room with two well-dressed people behind him. One man and one woman. They are FBI and they were here to set up shop for investigating that string that I chalked up to as vampires. Captain Taylor goes through all of our boring business first then he gets to the important stuff.

“So many of you have heard the serial killer named The Interstate Killer maybe in our city. And the FBI is here to see if they can catch him here before he moves on. So behind me is agents Perry and King. Agent Paul Perry is the director for the Midwest region and will be supervisor of the case. Agent Jennifer King is going to be lead on this case and will be tracking down leads.”

Well Agent King doesn’t seem to be that much of a dick anymore. I mean at least she doesn’t have one. And she actually was pretty hot. Brown hair tied up in a neat bun with not to pale skin.  The captain interrupts my focus with speaking again.

“So Agent King will need a helper in her time here. Someone to drive her around and follow her orders. Brown, you are the top of my s**t list, so that will be your job.”

Well that makes it hard to do my outside job. But maybe helps me get a jump on the chance of killing the vampires.

The meeting ends and I walk up to Agent King.

“Hello, I’m detective Colt Brown.”

“Hi, I’m Agent Jennifer King. Just call me Jenny when it’s just us, I hate formalities.”

“Alright Jenny.

“What did you do to be on the s**t list?”

Killing a werewolf, but I lie a bit.

“Off the job shooting.”

“Bad guy?”

“Yes”

“Good.”

“What did you want to do first?”

“Know of each good breakfast places?”

“Yeah.”

We head off to my breakfast favorite place. We just talk about the case while in the car. We arrive and go inside. We go to my normal booth. She is looking over the menu. She speaks.

“What is good here?”

“There breakfast burger if you are hungry, or pancakes if you’re not.”

“I’ll go with the burger.”

“That’s what I get normally.”

“Hey do you mind if I let my hair down?  I just like to relax when out of the office.”

“No its fine.”

She takes out her hair pin and the hair flows down. She is way prettier like this. I stare a bit till the waitress comes over.

“Good morning, Colt.”

“Good morning, Lauren.”

I see her look at Jenny so I speak again.

“This is Agent King, I mean Jenny.”

Jenny does a bit of an awkward wave and smiles. Lauren speaks.

“What’s the FBI doing in this neck of the woods?”

Jenny answers.

“Serial killer passing through. I’m here to catch him and apparently Colt will be joining me.” She laughs.

“Alright. So what can I get you two?”

I answer.

“Two breakfast burgers.”

We talk about the case than a little about yourselves. She asks me questions.

“So are you single?”

“Currently yes.”

“So, not recently?”

“Been two years.”

“I’m sorry. I bet she was a b***h.” She laughs. I do too a little.

“Do you think our waitress is a b***h?”

“No.”

“Then your bet was wrong.”

“Wow you dated our waitress?”

“No. I was married to our waitress.”

“Wow.” She laughs.

Lauren comes up and places the food down. Jenny thanks here and Lauren speaks to me.

“So are you getting Lilly tonight?”

“Yes, I should be free too. I don’t have work.”

Lauren walks away. Jenny turns me but I speak.

“Yeah and I have a kid with her.”

Jenny burst out with laughter.

We finish our meal and we head out to check a few of her leads. The whole time she tells me her life story.



© 2011 The old me


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

"I need to pertain to know nothing"--should be "pretend."
Really enjoyed this chapter and all of the dialogue. Just make sure you put the name of the character who's speaking in the same paragraph with what they actually say. Instead of this:

Jenny answers.

“Serial killer passing through. I’m here to catch him and apparently Colt will be joining me.” She laughs.

Say: Jenny answers, "Serial killer..." That'll help avoid confusion.

Posted 12 Years Ago


Good set up. Nice way to introduce a character, calm and cool.

Posted 12 Years Ago


well-written chapter...but i will have to read the others to know more...

Posted 12 Years Ago


This was a nice chapter, I like the ending of it too.

Posted 12 Years Ago


interesting keep on writing !:)

Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

427 Views
6 Reviews
Rating
Added on June 24, 2011
Last Updated on June 24, 2011


Author

The old me
The old me

Los Angeles, CA



About
If you notice some of my work is gone, that is because it is. I trimed down to put only a few on the site. Message me if you want to know anything about me. I'm an open book more..

Writing