Chapter Five: A hitch

Chapter Five: A hitch

A Chapter by The old me

We land in Chicago. It’s been four years since I lost my love of my life but now I finally was starting a new life. I planned to propose to Katie after the publishing party for my sixth book.

The day and night went on without any hitches. I finished dinner with Kaite and was preparing for the cheesy and scripted proposal. But I knew she would love it. I start sliding the ring up from my pocket, but my phone goes off.

I glance at it. It’s from a number that I don’t know but it’s a Chicago area code so it maybe is work. So I excuse myself and go outside to answer it.

“Hello?”

Nothing replies. They must have hung up but I ask again.

“Hello?”

“Hi”

That voice. It’s a voice I haven’t heard in years.

“Rose?”

“Yes.”

I’m speechless. My mind spins with too many thoughts to organize. She speaks.

“So I think we need to talk.”

“Yeah. I have no clue what is going on.”

“Well if you give me a week, I think I can make it out to Colorado to explain it.”

“I’m in Chicago.”

“Oh ok. I’m at my dad’s place in Deerelake.”

“I’ll leave there soon.”

“Alright. I can’t wait to see you. I love you.”

“I love you too.”

I run back inside the restaurant. I tell Katie that I had an emergency at work and I had to leave. It’s an excuse she doesn’t question but it’s probably hard to believe.

I drive the long way to Rose’s father’s house. I’m barely out of the car when Rose is running to me. She runs and throws herself at me and kisses me. It feels strange but good.

 We embrace and just keep holding each other for it seems hours outside my car. I hear a noise from the house and I turn to look. One of Rose’s brothers comes out with something in his arms. He walks up and hands it to Rose. It’s a child. Rose turns to me.

“Meet your daughter, Karissa.” I stand there in shock. “I think there is a lot of explaining to do.”



© 2011 The old me


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Wow, a lot of explaining indeed on Rose's part. Something seems really off. Interesting though.

Posted 12 Years Ago


The deerelake reminds me of ur name derek. and yes this is a lot of explaining to do! where would they even begin!?!?!?!?

Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

192 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on August 25, 2011
Last Updated on September 11, 2011


Author

The old me
The old me

Los Angeles, CA



About
If you notice some of my work is gone, that is because it is. I trimed down to put only a few on the site. Message me if you want to know anything about me. I'm an open book more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..