Chapter 1: New Beginnings

Chapter 1: New Beginnings

A Chapter by dracoman
"

In the end, there's always someone to help destiny run it's course, and that will always be the souldiers of Solero.

"

'There has been a small change of the rules of the souldiers.' I hear our leader say. He's not one of our seven, but he controls what we do, where we go, and so on.

 

'What do you mean, a change of rules?' asked Rolin, the loudest of us. I just stood back and watched, quiet as always, never speaking.

 

I spoke sometimes, but it was rare, which is one of the reasons why no one could ignore me. Their curiousity kept them listening.

 

But now I didn't speak. I listened to the change in rules.

 

'A decree from the highest order has forced me to allow you to do more than save lives. I am forced to train you to kill.'

 

'What!?' I yelled, for the first time.

 

Everyone turned in my direction, shock lining their features, mostly shock at my reaction, but the faces of my comrades had the same shock that I did, shock at our new training.

 

'You heard.' Was all my commander replied to my outburst. 'Now. I have someone ready to train you, so meet them down in training centre 4.'

 

None of us had ever been in training centre 4, but we all knew where it was. Only our armies were trained there, assassins, snipers, and so on, were trained in that room.

We entered the room, three floors down from the command room. Rolin went in first, followed by the red-headed Fira, one of the two females of the group, who was closely followed by her son, Jordan. He was followed by Darren, someone who wasn't as quiet as me, but barely spoke to anyone, quite an enigma if you ask me. He was followed by his girlfriend,

 

Laura, who was followed by my closest friend, Logan, with me following the rest of the group.

 

We assembled in a line, as we were told, and stood, straight and proud, as our trainer entered the room. She was beautiful, but not in the way which made me interested, just in the way that I knew she would have trouble fighting other men off. I aready saw Rolin staring at her, and Jordan, who was only 14, turned slightly red.

 

I smiled slightly, she may be beautiful, but she was deadly, as I figured when she shot a dummy directly in the heart to get everyone to sharpen up and be alert. I shuddered at the thought of exactly how she fought off the men who were interested.

 

I was suddenly far more alert to her voice rather than her actions when she spoke though, not wanting to cause problems with her, not wanting a bullet through my chest. I would regenerate, but I didn't want to lose my original soul, I've kept it alive for 300 years, I didn't want it to die at her hand, simply because I didn't listen.

 

'So. I'm here to snap you into shape, and turn you into people able to kill on order.'

 

I watched as she spoke. Careful to hang onto every word, in case she tested us at some point.

 

'Now. I'll have to train you with several weapons. Not all of you will excel with the same sort of weapon, but each of you, by the end of the training, will be able to use every form of weapon, old and new. I'll let you decide where to start, and I'll instruct each of you individually. Start where you feel most comfortable.'

 

I didn't dare ingore her words, so as soon as we were freed to the stations, I was at archery, right next to Logan, who was at the swordsmanship station, picking up the various swords, weighing them up, and settling on a rather basic one compared to the elegant ones with gold patterns and jewels lining them.

 

I picked up the bow that was easiest to control, wooden based, simplistic design, and the arrows to go with it, the whole thing was simple and lightwieht but with immense control and accuracy.

 

Though I hadn't had much experience with a bow, I still hit the bullseye 3 of 5 times, and hit the target every time.

 

I heard a clapping and turned to see the blonde instructor, who's eyes, I noticed, were a piercing blue, incredibly clear, and showed only purity, and as they say on Earth, the eyes are the windows to the soul.

 

She smiled, genuinely. 'Nice work. What's your name?'

 

'Gale.' I answered.

 

'Well, Gale, it seems you have the hang of the bow. You could use a little more training, but you have a brilliant aim.'

 

'Why, thankyou.' I replied.

 

'Now, everyone! Swith stations! Everyone move to their right!' This gave me swordsmanship and Logan had gunfighting.

 

Swordsmanship was rather fun, we had a trainer who had volunteered to battle each of us, teaching us various techniques, but again, I excelled. I had more practice than most in the medieval weapons.

 

My specialist time was medieval. I spent my time changing the timelines in medieval times, and each time I had learned skills with the sword, but I began to travel further forward, learning archery.

 

I had always been trained in some weapons, but I had never been allowed to kill without being executed.

 

A murder for a murder.

 

But now, suddenly, our orders had changed.

 

Why?

 

That was one of very few questions I couldn't answer.

 

We spent the rest of the day training. Me and Logan skipped lunch to try and get an edge, but to be honest, we did that with every training. What better way to be the best?

Me and Logan became friends because we were sort of thrown together.

 

I spent my early years being a hunter, gathering food for the city. One day, while I was hunting, I came across a trespasser.

 

Normally, you're supposed to hand trespassers in to be trialed and so on, but this case was different.

 

I have always been an asset to the community, my voice has always been heard, so I did the unthinkable. Something very few people would have done in the same situation, but something in his expression made me do it, or it may just have been my kind nature.

 

I took him in, and promised to keep him in check, me and the city are under the agreement that, if he does anything punishable by law, we both recieve the punishment, because I would have been the reason it happened, even though he did it.

 

He has been good though, never done any crime, out of respect for either me or the law, I can't tell which, but we have been great friends since, and always had each others back.

By the end of the day, we were experts on every weapon, whereas the others were merely adequate.

 

Me and Logan were released from training.

 

Six of our seven were paired up. Me and Logan, Fira and Jordan, and Darren and Laura, whereas Rolin prefered to work alone.

 

Even if I had prefered not to work with Logan, with me being responsible for him, I'd have been forced to keep him with me, but he was a worthwhile risk.

 

That day of hunting gave me precisely what I needed.

 

I took him hunting with me, and he was already preficient, we came back with almost 3 times the amount I normally caught alone, as we could set more traps in less time, and we both could hunt more of our prey with two of us.

 

This seemed to please the city. Then I became a souldier, and he, being my responsibility, came with me, but he turned out to be just as brilliant at that, too. It was our calling.

In one way, we are completely opposite, though. I'm calm and collected, while he's easily angered and tempramental, however he is much more focused on battle whereas I focus on healing, so when I'm attacked, he's quick to defend me, never to kill, but possibly to injure my attacker, and I calm him when he gets too angry, so we need each other to survive.

But now, we return to the command room, to figure out just why we have been trained to kill...



© 2011 dracoman


Author's Note

dracoman
This is chapter 1. I'll upload the preface shortly, if I can. It's unedited, so any grammar/spelling issues should be sorted later. If you're going to critique just one thing, make it the description please, as I'm not sure it's my strongpoint.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
_
I shuddered at the thought of exactly how she fought off the men who were interested.

hahahahaha! XD loved that part sounds like my friend anyway this was a cool chapter yeah i was a bit confused but yeah the story came togther as i read on and it was real cool, oh yeah FIGHTING, now going on to the:

PREFACE! OH YEAH MATE'"! >:)

Posted 12 Years Ago


As I started reading this I thought "This makes no sense!" but as I kept reading I really started enjoying it! I love the part were the person yelled "what!?" at the beginning :) I hope to read more very soon

Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

198 Views
2 Reviews
Added on December 4, 2011
Last Updated on December 4, 2011


Author

dracoman
dracoman

Stockton-On-Tees, Cleveland, United Kingdom



About
I'm a short story writer, and spend a lot of time writing and reading. My analytical skills aren't exactly the best, but I can make constructive critiscism when I want to. more..

Writing
Preface Preface

A Chapter by dracoman